If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Hyperfocus. What’s your opinion?

Options
WaveyTrey
WaveyTrey Member Posts: 634
edited May 2023 in General Discussions

I started using this perk. Even in Solo the progression bonuses make a heck of a difference from my experience. Do you find the perk to be strong, or just downright inconsistent? I like it because it’s a perk you have to make a build around. I prefer such builds because I’m typically confident in running the killer long enough without perks that help with chases.

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,413
    Options

On its own, I really like using it. It's actually a very fun perk and feels rewarding if you can hit multiple consecutive great skill checks. But its synergy with Stake Out is too strong and shouldn't be a thing as it goes against the entire point of the perk by removing the need to be precise and accurate at skill checks to get value.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

It should work together with Skate Out, whats the point if skill check perks dont work with each other? Only toolbox need a rework. And perhaps Hyper focus should fixed with 2% on Great skill check instead. The perk is really bad for casual but insane for people who's good with skill check.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

I don't use it for your stated reason - I can't use it on its own. I'm not that good at hitting great skill checks.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

Even at 3k+ hours, I can't hit those fast skill checks consistently enough to justify using it.

• 1ettuce
    1ettuce Member Posts: 1,141
    Options

Toolboxes shouldn't give bonus skill check chance and stake out should probably be reworked. Perk on its own is honestly one of the best designed ones imo

• WaveyTrey
    Options

Strange enough my favorite perk is actually This is not Happening. I noticed when I’m injured my checks land on the edge of a would be failure whenever I use TISN. Sometimes I use Technician too in case the cursor lands before. As it stops the killer from being notified on a crucial gen that i’m trying to progress. Tbh I feel like more perks should operate this way. Like whenever you’re healthy, injured, or even lacerating.

• WaveyTrey
    Options

I do use Hyperfocus with Stake Out. From what I’ve experienced to get good value from that combo you still have to land at least 3 great checks without using Stake Out. The idea is to maximize the progression bonuses. You aren’t really maximizing the bonus if you have to use all 4 tokens to get to maximum only to fail right after.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,252
    edited May 2023
    Options

It's bad for 95% of players and then for those 5% of gamers it needs to be built around to get real consistent value out of it.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,721
    Options

It hot garbage in solo q and that coming from a guy who spent months not weeks...MONTHS practicing hitting 5 greats in row. For 1 hour every day i faithfully practice no bull$hit. The skill checks speed is far to fast after the third great skill check and 99% of players will just end up blowing the gen. Ironically regressing gens more than helping them from blown skill checks lol. Making stake out a must have in the build. The problem with that is stake out is very inconsistent in getting stacks. You can't gain tokens while in chase like distortion but u don't won't waste time standing near the killer to build stacks either. Which means it at it best vs killers with high mobility who fly all over the map and bad vs killer who enter chase out no where like ( dredge, sadako, wraith, pig, ghost face, etc). U also must run built to last with the tool box so u don't really have much room for variety of perks. The biggest problem by far tho is the small amount of progress gain from hitting greats in row. You hitting 3 in row will only shave off a couple seconds which is terrible. Which mean u need to be on the gen and not get interrupted to get decent vaule. If u not hitting all 5 in row this perk is garbage and u better off running resilience.

• solarjin1
    Options

if u can actually hit the max stack of 6 in row and keep hitting them u will destroy gens without a BNP.

I guarantee you nobody can hit that many in row without relying on the gimmick perk stake out.

• WaveyTrey
    Options

Making a specific build would have such a weakness. Like a full heal build would suck against Plague. Adrenaline builds suck against any killer who can exhaust effectively on top of using Fearmonger.

Even with some practice I can typically get the first 3. The last are usually with Stake Out. Recently I hit 8 in a row, 5 of which was without Stake Out. It’s satisfying to pull off, and see.

If it was any stronger, or somehow more consistent it would be absolutely broken.

• solarjin1
    Options

3 is very nice and cannot be brush over at all. I Agree if it was any better it would be broken. I just think it not wroth the trouble. Much like devour hope it strong when obtain but still much on the gimmick side.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,067
    Options

I like running Hyperfocus + Fogwise every now and again. It turns the most tedious aspect of the game into an actually fun little mini-game.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

I think Hyperfocus is great design (other than working with toolboxes). It encourages risky play, that can swing quickly for both sides. If you fail a check you lose ~12 gen seconds (9 from 10% regression, 3 from the animation and progression prevention). It only exceeds the value of a failed check at 11 consecutive Greats (or more if they weren't all in order). Also the 4 o'clock skillchecks happen frequently enough to usually prevent a max stack without Stakeout as backup. It, along with Blast Mine, Flashbang, and Wiretap, are all very well designed perks that provide more 'fun' than raw value, while encouraging people to progress the game. I would be far better off replacing Hyperfocus with Unbreakable in the majority of my games, but Hyperfocus keeps doing the least enjoyable thing at least somewhat enjoyable, as everyone loves stacks.

As I said though, it shouldn't work with Toolboxes (and I wouldn't be opposed to not working with Medkits either).

• MrSlayer
    MrSlayer Member Posts: 189
    Options

I like to run it with Stake Out. Shaves some time off gens and healing, but doesn't seem unfair since I play soloq only.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,213
    edited May 2023
    Options

I'm too inconsistent at great skillchecks to get any value. I'll hit 5 in a row without an effort, next gen I'll hit less than half. I've tried itfor awhile but I just don't get any value.

If I found a way to make my great skillchecks consistent I'd run it.

Any real tips from any Hyperfocus gamers?

• TerraEsram
    TerraEsram Member Posts: 500
    Options

I can't use Hyperfocus... Or with the help from other perks... Even in solo, i'm not totally focus on the skill check, more about the terror radius

The real problem with this perks it's the combination of all gen speed perks

If I remember correctly, if you combine ; Hyperfocus, Overzealous, Fast Tracks, and a toolbox with a brand new part can help to make a gen in only 15 second's

The best you can do (and I talk about the dev) it's probably making some penalty if several perks of gen progressions are used, or we make a Botany like... Using a toolbox with these perks gives a penalty in the gen progression

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,601
    Options

IF you can stay on the gen uniterrupted, IF you get enough skill checks and IF you hit all great ones, then yes, the perk is good. But that's like saying fast track with 27 stacks is good.

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

In specific combinations and situations it can have massive value but on the other site i can not play it very often because it makes me:

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    Options

I'd rather run prove thyself tbh

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

One of the most overrated perks in the game

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,645
    Options

I like using the perk. Its fun to use but its tiny bit too difficult to use. I think they should buff This is not happening to lower skill-cap of Hyperfocus. I would like to think that I am pretty good at skill-checks in the game but that perk in term of difficult landing consistent skill-checks at H6 is little to hard to get consistent perk value. I share OP POV that I like how the perk incentives building around it and discourages you to use second-chance safety net perks enforcing your base-game skill in the chase to survive. The generators are more entertaining to do as an objective with the perk then without the perk but I highly doubt many player can get consistent good value out of the perk given the skill-curve.

• WaveyTrey
    Options

Yeah. The only time it sucks is when I’m fighting Dredge, or when a killer tunnels me out the match. Typically the later. I never get the time to use it along with any stacks.

• WaveyTrey
    edited May 2023
    Options

I don’t have trouble getting stacks against stealth killers. Only Dredge because of Nightfall spam. If it’s a killer like Wraith I start going for rescues to place myself closer to them while their TR is up. If the survivor is running Kindred other survivors see me next to them. So they continue doing objectives.

On a side note I feel like seeing everyone’s aura during hook should be basekit. That would help Solo a lot. Kindred would simply allow everyone to see the killer’s aura while hooked.

• solarjin1
    edited May 2023
    Options

Yeah if u trying to get a save that could be a good way to build Stacks while still being productive. Kinderd basekit? it never leave any of my builds so it already feel that way to me

windows and kindred is a must have in solo q i swear