I'm a killer main but I just got done playing a ton of survivor, impressions.

Options

Got sick of playing so many miserable games as killer vs constant gen rush or stun/blind/boilsabo spam, tired of feeling like I could never catch up in chase without playing a movement based killer and tired of constantly watching survivors DC every time I almost kill them.

So I decided to sink 35 levels worth of BP into Meg and ended up with purple versions of Sprint Burst, Spine Chill, Hope and Adrenaline, ended up playing about 20 games today.

Overall the last two perks have either been worthless because we never make it to endgame or absolutely gamebreaking because we do.

So many games ended in the first 90 seconds either because someone randomly DC'd or suicided on hook, seriously the behavior on display was an embarrassment.

Almost all of my losses could be attributed to either:

1. My team being incompetent or self sabotaging.
  2. My own incompetence or self sabotage

There were only a few instances where I generally felt like I was cheated either by the game, the netcode or some other unknown issue, and these were pretty rare. Out of 20 or so games here is the short list of things I found cheap/bothersome

1. Freddy breaking two pallets in a row, I assume spirit fury is the first but I don't know what caused the second, either way it didn't feel very good to basically do nothing wrong with the resources at my disposal and still die for it.
  2. Instadowns/instakills. Tombstone myers needs to go away, condemn sadako is no better, and I swear I got double hit by ghostface and myers without exposure and I'm not sure how. These just never feel good, at least if it were a hillbilly or even an oni I could respect the amount of skill it takes to pilot properly but the rest just irritate me.
  3. Getting grabbed off a ledge by stealthed sadako when I vaulted before she was even close, netcode issue probably but boy that felt awful.
  4. I kept getting popped after sprint burst, like rapidly, way faster than I can ever manage as a killer, by basic m1 hits and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Besides that the game felt fair 99% of the time, though not always very fun. I've been saying genrush or die is not a very interesting gameplay dynamic and playing survivor just further confirms it.

Survivors really need more to do than just generators, but in order for that to happen games need to take longer and survivors need some form of intervention to stop huge snowballs, but most importantly they need to stop being entitled little bitches who DC or suicide at the first opportunity because THAT is what is ruining most of their games.

Comments

• Frogsplosion
    Frogsplosion Member Posts: 266
    Options

I don't disagree about playing the game out, but none of the people rage quitting are doing it because of tunneling, almost every time they either DC almost immediately upon game start or the second they drop for the first time, they dont even wait for a second hook.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,396
    Options

I'm not gonna encourage it or say its okay, but I get it a little.

Especially if it's a Dull Merchant. I am, once again, not advocating for DC'ing or going AFK but a lot of them don't hook people and enjoy holding games hostage. I genuinely don't know what else to do in that scenario.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,627
    Options

Same. I very rarely get DCs in my games. I've played quite a bit the past week and only had 1 team mate DC. When they do DC I find it's usually because they're being tunnelled.

Letting go on hook is more common but even that doesn't happen often. One person did it in one of my games yesterday because they went to second stage on first hook - I was in chase with the killer and not sure what the other two survivors were doing but it certainly wasn't gens or unhooking. So I kind of didn't blame the guy for wanting out.

• Frogsplosion
    Options

I mean you can say it but the vast majority of my losses were exactly because of these two things.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,240
    Options

True. But the same thing is true when 2-3 gens get done before the killer can get a down.

The early game almost always decides who wins and it sucks because you're left feeling helpless and with little hope for a comeback.

I'm not entirely sure how they'd fix this, other than maybe disincentivising tunneling and incentivising spreading hooks though.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337
    edited June 2023
    Options

I don't get how you're a killer main but don't know how Freddy can break two pallets in a row. If the second pallet didn't stun him then it was a fake one. Also, you only see the fake ones if you're injured.

Spirit fury, his fake pallets, or even the dredge perk (the name escapes me).

Post edited by Pluto_1 on
  • Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Giving up is quite common in my games, regardless if it happens 0 gens in or 3 gens in, its still unenjoyable when a game which seems perfectly reasonable to play out is abandoned for no reason.

Only thing worse than that is the people who I unhook with 3 healing perks, who then run 30 seconds to the end of the map, to then self-care for a minute straight and get caught doing so.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Idk like I said I’m definitely low to mid MMR (where this is largely happening) and I haven’t really seen it. I saw one person DC in 15 games and that was with 2 gens left on Ormond. I don’t really see survivors throw on hook. In fact what I have seen is survivors actually get to 2nd hook without being saved and still struggle. Maybe it happens but I’d think I would see more signs of this alleged epidemic of survivors throwing games. After all I am in the population where this happens. So why am I not seeing it?

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

As a very average survivor mmr-wise, i'm not seeing many early DCs or people letting go on hook. I'm playing western EU, generally evenings. It's entirely possible that in another region or timeframe people are playing differently.

That being said, it's always interesting seeing someone who mains one side try out the other ! I personally have a good time on both, though I do play more survivor (it's just more practical as it allows me to both play and chat with friends, two birds one stone).

• Ayodam
    Options

This is what I’ve been saying all along. I play on NA servers yet I don’t see it either, and I’m definitely low to mid MMR. It’s why I think people are exaggerating on this DC/hook giving up crisis. I rarely SWF, and I just don’t see survivors giving up like that in solo queue. Even if we suck, the survivors still appear to be trying to win/play well (as well as we can given our skill level).

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 581
    Options

To be honest a lot of my killer games are like this but usually starts to snowball around 2-3 gens left once I start getting more pressure. It's definitely not equivalent to a survivor getting tunneled out and a 3v1 at any gens left.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    edited June 2023
    Options

Maybe it's an mmr thing and some people on each end of the bell curve cherry-pick their games by DC'ing or killing themselves on hook ?

But yeah I definitely don't see many DCs. I used to a lot after 6.1. but these past few months were very peaceful in that regard.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,127
    Options

Most people who DC or suicide in my games do so because they're being hard tunneled or because the game is a lost cause from the start. I don't see that many people just give up for no reason that much.

• bazarama
    bazarama Member Posts: 208
    Options

My last 3 games as killer have had

AFK

DC at first hook

DC when 2 other survivors on one hook - hadn't even hit the player who DCd

Last 2 games were clown with no add-ons so absolutely no reason to DC. both were probably unwinnable with clown as one map was one of the many variations of corn on the cob and other RPD.

• Frogsplosion
    Options

You CAN come back if you were already playing correctly, if all 3 of you were on a different gen at start and one player drops you should still be able to finish at least two of those and then start trading chases with whoever has the killer while finishing 2 more, even in soloq while it's rare I did manage to pull this off a couple times.

• Frogsplosion
    edited June 2023
    Options
    1. I don't play freddy at all, I think I've played him twice maybe. I have knight, billy, slinger, plague, pyramid head, hag, nurse, sadako and maybe a few others at P1, nemesis, pinhead and bubba at p3.
    2. Still managed to play against both tombstone myers and condemn sadako once each, most of my games were against ghostface or pyramid head.
    3. I rarely have connection issues in other games so IDK what to tell you

Stop overanalyzing every little thing someone says.

Post edited by BoxGhost on
  • Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,240
    Options

How many pallets do you believe the killer can possibly get out of the way in that time?

90 seconds into the match the killer loses 2-3 gens. If a killer needs 15 seconds to find the first survivor ( which is faster than most killers do) and another 10 seconds until they catch up that's only 65 seconds left. From here on the actual looping begins. Say the survivor buys another 15 seconds by dropping a pallet and only gets hit after 25 seconds by dropping another, that allows them to run and maintain distance for about 15 more seconds. This is where the second looping phase begins and the survivor plays even more careful. Another 25 seconds until they go down and about 10 seconds to hook puts the killer at 90 seconds and the loss of 3 gens (at least). In that time they got 3 maybe 4 pallets out of the way and that only happens, if the survivor doesn't play well around windows or god forbid used an exhaustion perk.

Few killers can actually destroy the survivors' ressources as fast as they can finish gens even without items. You don't go through pallets left and right as a killer, which is why a late first down puts you in a very bad spot.

• MrSlayer
    MrSlayer Member Posts: 189
    Options

When playing as surv I have someone dc/suicide every few games. Yesterday I had Nemesis carry me to the gate out of pity :|

When playing killer I have survs dc because they think I'm doing adept, don't like who I'm playing as/which map we got, I've downed them quickly, they run into me short time after getting unhooked, got tunneled by me ot blablabla. I've stopped paying attention.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337
    Options

Show me one place where I was whining. Go on, I'll wait.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,396
    Options

Okay, so this is about what I thought it was. A fairly new player perspective.

Still, it was interesting to read.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

Agree, I don't encounter DCs often and when I do it's usually people DCing after being tunneled as they're being carried to their last hook. I wonder if it's a MMR thing but I only see "a lot" of DCs during events where everyone is playing sweatier and games are more frustrating.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,764
    Options

Because a noticeable majority of this community hates putting effort into actually trying to win.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Yh constant DCs are awful. Also the freddy issue was probably dream pallets. He has an add on that creates fake pallets which break as soon as surv tries to drop them. Like doctors but even worse.

You're highlighting the main issue with the game, mmr royally screws ppl, killers tend to play themselves into a high mmr hole and get stuck with high mmr teams who stomp killers, whilst low mmr surv teams always have multiple weak links who run around like headless chicken with less enthusiasm.

We need a casual playlist so people can play less sweaty games instead of players who play like they would happily sell their own children to get a few pips.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

Might be different from region to region. Where do you play?

• JustAnotherNewbie
    Options

I've never managed to pull it off. Unless the killer is very bad. If the level is the same for everyone involved I think killer has the edge.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    Options

It depends on the map anyway. And if survivors finish gens at parts of the map full of resources then they are forced to move to parts of the map that have become deadzones as that's where the gens that need to be done are now.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,384
    Options

You are missing the use of 'can'.

No one denies that the start of the game is incredibly important to both sides. The argument is whether killers 'can' come back while survivors 'cannot'. If the killer gets a really bad start there are still possibilities - 3 gens, basement hooks, tunneling, etc. can really quickly change the game (not to mention end game builds and powers). Plus the possibility of survivor mistakes can really throw the game in the killers favor quickly.

Compare this to the survivors. Once a survivor has been eliminated they, by game design, lose a substantial amount of their power. If the killers initial gameplan doesn't work he can change strategies - the survivors have no alternate strategy they can play to if things go really badly early.

So yes, early game really important for both sides, if it swings the survivors way killer has strategies available, if it swings the killer's way game is done.

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613
    edited June 2023
    Options

This is the 2nd time you've went aggressive. That' doesn't help your case and is a sign of someone who can't support their own argument when challenged.

If you have 9 Killers at P1 and 3 at P3, then you obviously have spent a GOOD amount of time in DbD (months at the least) while also spending a hefty amount of money on the game. It's hard to believe someone with that much Killer experience doesn't know that Freddy has dream pallets. That's 1/3 of his entire power and is something of a meme with how bad they tend to be.

You also said that "I've played him twice maybe" when talking about your own Killer gameplay. Not that you played "against" him twice, only that you "played' him twice. But you don't own Freddy? Then that means you're a REALLY old DbD player! Back when there was an offering called Splinters who allowed you play as DLC Killers for 1 game. Freddy's being the Smoking Splinter and it was years ago back before his first rework where he couldn't touch Survivors without first tagging them and waiting 7 seconds for them to fall asleep. It's starting to look damned near impossible for someone who's calling themselves a Killer main and played DbD THAT long to not know how all Killers work by now. Not just Freddy, all of them! It's just the natural progression of any game for someone to learn more and more of it over literal years.

You played against 1 tombstone and 1 condemned out of at least 20 other full games according to your OP? That's it? You're supporting my idea of you just ranting about a couple of bad games. With 2 of your 5 replies here being aggressive calling others "delusional" or really going overboard saying crap like "paranoid schizo" and "weaponized autism" then it's looking more likely that you're a sore loser.

Yes Im over analyzing things. Kind of need to when calling out someone's bullcrap. Personally find it fun once in a while if being honest.

• Ayodam
    Options
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,627
    edited June 2023
    Options

Lol guessing you haven't heard the conspiracy theory that survivors let go on hook after nerfs in order to increase kill rates so killers get nerfed? It's been around for awhile and still pops up. So there's apparently an anti killer agenda too.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 328
    Options

Why are people being so skeptical for the most random reasons.

"Tombstone Myers is hard to see" I haven't played against a Myers that isn't Tombstone or Jumpscare on 2 months, most of them being insta-kill infinite T3. I dread the games I face a Myers precisely because 90% of the time they're instakill Myers.

"he's low tier to begin with" I see at least one Myers per day, and Nurse, who's supposed to be one of the higher tier killers, I just had one yesterday, the first one in three weeks. Blight I only face slightly more frequently than her, and he's the busted killer at the moment. Most of my games are Weskers, Legions and Plagues. Heck, I've faced more Trappers this last month than I've faced Blights.

And a killer main that hasn't touched survivor ever has a higher chance of not knowing what Freddy's add-ons are than an actual survivor who unavoidably will have to learn to play against them. The killer won't see Freddy in action ever if they don't use him or watch someone playing with him (Which is unlikely, because rarely ever will you find someone upload Freddy gameplay anyways).

Whether he has more or less playtime, I don't know, but I think you guys are being overly skeptical. Plus, if he really is someone with fewer hours of playtime, this only reinforces that the game has a huge entry barrier and that soloq is cannon fodder for kill rates.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    Options
  • JustAnotherNewbie
    Options

Tbh, the same can be said for the other side. If every killer chose to proxy-camp, tunnel and slug at the best of times, BHVR would likely address those strategies a lot sooner than they are doing. Plus the killrate would be more representative in general.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    edited June 2023
    Options

Last night i played only 3 games of killer

Each had survivors DC at 4 or 5 gens.

1st game had 2

2nd had 2

Last had 3 DC (who were obviously swf)

I was also playing killers I don't use often and I wasn't camping either.