If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

What are you supposed to do if all the survs are great loopers?

Options
Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,263

What is the killer supposed to do if all 4 survivors are just way better at looping than they are?

I have games where it takes me ages to get a down, gotta wait till bloodlust 2 or 3 before I can eventually get one. Clearly I can't just go for chases and play normally because there's not enough time for that, so I usually facecamp at that point. I know face-camping isn't going to get me the win, but it usually allows me to get a few more hook states and sometimes even a kill, so it's way more effective than chasing.

With face-camping getting essentially removed soon, what else can the killer do if chasing isn't really an option?

Comments

• Krazzik
    Options

Oh of course, the MMR system is pretty dire because it's not uncommon to have back-to-back games with babies and then a 4-man bully squad. I'm just curious what you're really supposed to do when all 4 survivors are simply far better than you.

It's hard to really learn and improve when there's that big of a skill gap because you're not really learning much from just brute forcing loops with bloodlust 3. At the same time I have nearly 3000 hrs in the game. I'm pretty sure I've plateaued as far as my skill is concerned and I'm just not really interested in tryharding to improve. I just wanna have fun and chill.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,325
    Options

Yes, but there are many factors outside of each player control. Not all is about skill. The map you get, the items / addons / power is in play, the perks, etc. You can play on map that your killer sucks by bad RNG and no metter how good you are or not, you will lose anyway if they are good players againts you, not even good ones sometimes.

• MimiDBD
    MimiDBD Member Posts: 302
    Options

I actually had a game last night that was similar to your experience. They were all 4 good I was attempting to hook each of them (To build my NWO) but there was a chain tile spawn that I personally never seen before on Lery's. There was back to back vaults into rooms, pallet in between, and no doorway to cut them off. I was of course Freddy and his snares just were not enough to shut this tile down. They all ran to it and without bamboozle I could not get them there. I just got the points I could. I did not camp any of the 4-5 hooks I got nor did I camp the hook I got in end game.

Like @Aven_Fallen mentioned camping gets me no where except better opponents (assuming you get kills with the camp) so I see no reason to do it. If you can't kill your current survivors without tunneling/camping why on earth would you want harder ones? There are games you will not play well, stupid maps/tiles will spawn and you will lose. Just go next I just can't understand what people don't get about this. In a game that gives you practically nothing for winning why does everyone have to win so badly? Most of this was not pointed at you OP just the community in general.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 327
    Options

Consider playing another killer or playing survivor if you feel so pressured that you have to resort to face camping.

Having said that, this is the perfect time for this, because I literally came out of a match where I won against a group of survivors that kept looping me a little bit too well.

I ended with a 4k because I wasn't going to waste time looping on a really good loop against experienced survivors (and I'm fairly sure they were premade), and I just gave up on chases whenever I felt they were going to take too long. Checked gens to try and get some quick hits and never let them finish the gens.

It was a difficult match, and if I were a survivor there I'd even say I tunneled there because a survivor kept trying to get my attention to loop me and I knew what they were trying to do so I just gave up and went back to hook, and lo and behold, they were healing under the hook. (This is why I keep recommending people to equip Guardian over We'll Make It, but nobody listens)

At the end of the match they ended up trying to finish a gen that was about 90% done and I didn't let them, prioritizing regressing it over hitting them and they kept coming back like flies, so of course they ended up dying.

I got called a bot after saying gg, which says more about them than it says about me, to be honest.

TL;DR, know when to drop chase and know when prioritizing survivors is going to benefit you more than keeping gens in check.

And to all survivor, for Christ's sake, don't heal under the hook. You got me killed more times than I can count because of it.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

That's true. DbD is very rng based. If both sides have equal skills, most likely the side who were lucky will win.

• MimiDBD
    Options

I despise camping as much as the next but 16 meters? Is that really camping? What can you do with that? Free unhook is what 16 meters is. Proxy at best.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

It’s definitely proxy but it isn’t a free unhook. It’s the distance a killer can be from a hook to counter Kindred.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,048
    Options

learn, hopefully

it sucks when matchmaking messes up and matches you with people outside your skill level in either direction, but try to learn from observing what they do and thinking about how you could have outplayed them is the best you can do in a bad situation

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    edited June 2023
    Options

16m is good enough to make safe hook saves. Huntress probably will be problem but it's Huntress issue, not general killer issue.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

You can technically make safe unhooks at any distance. It depends on a number of factors. My point is that killers can still efficiently camp a hook at 16 meters—and many do.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    Options

The point is BHVR is not planning to kill proxy camp. They are addressing face-camp. 16m range is good enough to kill face-camp.

• Krazzik
    Options

I guess it's not that I absolutely MUST get a 3k/4k or else, it's more I want to finish a game at least feeling that I did decent. If I leave a game with only 1 or 2 hooks (or god forbid zero) I'm gonna feel really crap, but if I can facecamp my way to like 4 or 5 hooks and maybe a 1k, it still feels bad, but it takes some of the edge off.

I know against a group like that I'll never actually 'win' unless they're super altruistic and even then they'll need to mess up a LOT, but I just don't wanna end it with a single hook state.

• MimiDBD
    Options

First off I did mention that most of my post was not aimed at you. Secondly this is exactly my point though. You face camp your way to a 1k-2k to feel better only to allow the opening to play the exact same caliber next game. Now fortunately for you MM does not work so you have a chance to play your caliber or lower next game lol but if MM worked my point stands. Hmmm maybe I should camp?

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,300
    Options

With a chainsaw sure, or another insta-down. But since the base BT still kicks in there's a decent chance the survs can make a run for it.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

I would put my 2 cents in but, I don't feel like getting jumped because I'm telling you to play to lose.😂

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,024
    Options

They really need a theater mode in this game so some people who have trouble can go back and see where they are messing up or see how they can counter something next time

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,170
    Options

The short answer is: You lose.

The long answer: Accept the challenge and try to get the most out of it. Only good players will teach you what you lack. So it's not a bad thing to chase someone that is hard to mindgame learn from them. Sometimes you can find a mindgame they will fall for and that you can use on other survivors as well. The most important thing is to remember that this is a game. You are not going to hell for losing a match and your family won't get hurt over it either. So enjoy the match as much as you can and don't be too upset for losing a match. It happens to the best of us.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685
    Options

Your not supposed to win every game. At some point they will match you us vs a team thats better

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

I take the L and move on to another game, and mmr does its thing. My next games are not as difficult.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

It’s bound to happen. I’m a pretty casual player, so I fully expect there to be a lot of players out there who are way better at the game than I am. I don’t mind losing to players who are clearly more skilled than I am. I am much more bothered by the giant advantage that survivors get when they load in as a 4-man SWF on comms. That has nothing to do with skill and just stacks the deck against the killer even more.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,197
    Options

Spread pressure as evenly as possible throughout the 4, try to get them to waste resources as fast as possible

Doesn't matter how good they are, creating dead zones and forcing them to run around in that can only get them so far

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,851
    Options

Use this trial - as all others - a learning experience to improve your game.

It's guaranteed pretty much everyone will play their fair share of trials against opponents whom are clearly better players. In some cases it will feel quite painful and yet these are the games where, once you realise it's going to be impossible, to experiment and learn.

You'll come out better for it.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

There’s a lot of dishonesty in this thread. If 4 survivors are competent at looping, you are almost guaranteed to lose unless you tunnel/camp. While there are things you can learn to an extent, the issue lies with game design. There are too many safe structures and gens go too quick. Play defensively or lose.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

they will either gen rush you and end it real quick, or just try to have fun getting your attention and chases. this can be a good opportunity to practice and try different stuff, the match is already lost.

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

The MMR isnt great, sorry its matching you like that.

but heres my advice: you probably won't be getting a 2k without tunneling if everyones great. just play for pallet breaks and stuff and tunnel and you will get at least 1 kill.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

Do your best honestly

ive caught good players off guard because they don’t expect the noobish plays from me and they get downed as a result haha

• MimiDBD
    Options

As shocking as it is that is pretty much what I said. Have not been jumped yet....care to help with that?

• ClarityOfWill
    ClarityOfWill Member Posts: 198
    Options

Honestly, as others have said, if you're being matched with better opponents it's somewhat unreasonable to expect to be able to win. There's no shame in that, everyone gets rolled at times by better players (might be items, the killer you're playing, map offering, sheer RNG, an off day etc). What is important is that you use the match as a way to improve things you're struggling with. For example, if you're using pyramid head, try using his power a lot more than you normally would to get better proficiency with it. Otherwise, try working on your mind games in certain tiles by seeing what works and how your opponents play. Are they using checkspots? Then try to play around this by blindsiding them or forcing them into a position where the checkspots are weaker/harder to react to.

it's a hard truth that a lot of killer players don't want to accept, but there is a time and a place for proxy camping / tunnelling. If you're having to do it straight out the gate and struggling then you need to get better at identifying when to commit, when to drop chase and generally working on developing your macro gameplay. When the anti camp system comes in, there's going to be a lot of players in for a very rude awakening because they never built up the basic skills needed to function at higher MMR. These were the same people who got hard carried by the eruption meta and now complain they can't mindlessly stack regression to brute force the game.

If you're hitting BL2 and 3 consistently that's already a significant red flag. Do you review your own gameplay to see what mistakes you made? If not, could you record some games so we can offer feedback as to what might be going wrong?

• I_am_Negan
    Options

Yeah, not yet give it time they haven't shown up yet.

But sure my 2 cents is stop camping and tunneling you don't need to camp and tunnel to get kills. Play fair and you'll be place where you need to be. Yes you can win the match by playing fair.

Camping and tunneling only increases your MMR and puts you against others that you shouldn't be going against.

Play to win you'll go against others that are playing to win.

Play for fun and you'll have fun.

If you have to get kills/win then by all means keep camping and tunneling I'm not stopping you.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    Options

Shake your fist at the matchmaking system and hope it gets it right with the next match.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,331
    Options

Yeah, but if it happens frequently and becomes the Norm you cannot blame Maps all the time.

• MimiDBD
    Options

I said something like this earlier but then it dawned on me that this theory only works if MM works. Ray Charles can see that it doesn't so what now?

• I_am_Negan
    Options

I don't know who Ray Charles is.

I also been saying that kills and escapes shouldn't be the answer to MMR either. Cause all it does is increases players ego and makes them think their better when their really not.

• MimiDBD
    Options

I don't know who Ray Charles is. 😲😲😲

Agree on rest.

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2023
    Options

When the skill difference itself is so high that you are not able to do anything you will lose anyway, but nevertheless you can try things out instead of fully refusing to play because who gives up directly will never improve.

What helps myself a lot is when I spread pressure. I do multiple aggro changes, force pallets out, do not heavily overdo a chase and try to create deadzones and also I try to catch survivor offguard. I also try to defend a certain area instead of having buisness all over the map.

What doesn't help in my games is facecamping. That's like surrender, because who facecamps makes no progress. You clear no pallets, you pressure no gens nor survivors. 

The only pressure you have is the guy on hook while others repair gens and against good survivors it is pretty hard to force a second hookstage just by facecamping. They mostly have good chances doing the unhook anyway, so the time people spend in a pure facecamp is mostly just like they would be AFK.

A useful proxy camp while pressuring others is helpful pretty often and also a try to tunnel. But a tunnel which takes to long makes no sense. So what I am doing mostly is, I try to catch the survivor fast and if it's not possible, I go back to gens.

But whatever. Most things are very situational and you need to decide in the moment.

• I_am_Negan
    Options
  • IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,600
    edited June 2023
    Options

If you facecamp for winning you are fomenting your own problem, because you increase or maintain your MMR and survivors with that skill will be frequent.

It is the vicious circle of a lot of killer players: "I facecamp/tunnel/use NOED because survivors make me waste a lot of time in chase" the next game you face skilled survivors again "I facecamp/tunnel/use NOED because survivors make me waste a lot of time in chase" and the cycle repeats.

I don't get why a lot of killer players have such problem with losing matches and have to win at all cost, it is better to change your mindset and just play chill, it took me almost 1k hours to notice it. I'm killer main.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,065
    Options

You should lose still mmr with one kill and if devs aim for 60% kill rate so 2K should still slightly decrease it or very least keep it same.

• Veroles
    Options

That's true and i see it more or less the same.

But gaining MMR or not. Facecamping overall is not a way what gives proper pressure in most cases. Most seem to do it because they hope of survivor mistakes and that is a general core problem of this mindset on top because that is nothing more as a gamble.

There are some cases where a facecamp make sense, but when survivors are good, the chances are pretty bad that this situation occurs at all.

• dgbug
    dgbug Member Posts: 152
    Options

What you're supposed to do is lose the game. Simple as that. Can't win em all.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,015
    Options

I have quite a bit of experience in those sorts of games. Sometimes both sides play really well and all you can get is a 2k. That's ok. The DbD community has this baffling hang up about results that aren't a 3k/4k, that it's indicative of a balance issue when a killer doesn't win.

Now, you might not be able to keep up with 4 good runners. You might lose that game. That's also ok. DbD would be a terrible game if relative skill expression didn't matter for one side.

You're going to have to bait survivors into making mistakes. That's a hard thing for less experienced killers to pick up because survivors will make their own mistakes 99.99999999% of the time without the killer doing anything out of the ordinary. And to be completely honest, sometimes less is more against really good survivors. This is where understanding survivor at a high level improves your killer play. That mindgame that always works for you and suddenly doesn't work? There's no reason for it to ever work because optimal camera positioning deletes the mindgame. You might be better off holding W at tiles where you usually "mindgame".

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,600
    edited June 2023
    Options

I think the cases in which facecamping is effective are frequent, because this game is populated of over-altruistic survivors whose will try to save the camped survivor except maybe in the basement against some killers and against Bubba, if facecamping weren't that effective nobody would facecamp. A lot of survivors even prefer doing a trade when attempting to save a team mate and hook them instead. In the "manual" the best thing you can do when a killer is facecamping is rushing gens meanwhile but there are almost always at least one survivor attempting to rescue.

• Veroles
    Options

Yes, that what i mean with "gamble". They gamble on it that survivors go for altruism. But when you have a group of 4 survivors which playing SWF and all of them are good, they mostly laugh about it because they exactly know what they are doing in most cases and are already prepared for it.

• bazarama
    bazarama Member Posts: 204
    Options

Just play chill op and don't worry about how many hooks/kills. I played a game with zero hooks and the next game was a 4k.

Play your way with whoever you play.

There are enough things going on in the world and probably your own life to start stressing about a video game.

So accept defeat when you lose and enjoy the wins when you play a good game.