If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Why do killers chase one survivor for 4+ minutes

Options
ElodieSimp
ElodieSimp Member Posts: 353
edited February 16 in General Discussions

I see it in my games sometimes and a lot of YouTube videos. Why do killers chase down one survivor for a long time, usually at the start of the game, then get tilted in end game chat?

Any killer mains here that do this? If so what is the reason?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

Salty? Or they might not know that chasing one survivor for awhile is basically an automatic loss

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

I don't know, but they do that with me a lot.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,168
    Options

Sometimes it's about pride. It can feel pretty bad getting looped for so long and then leaving chase. It's basically admitting defeat.

Sometimes it's just that the killer wants to chase someone that is really good. It's more fun than chasing someone that pre drops every pallet.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 526
    Options

Inexperience most likely. Knowing when to drop chase really only comes with time & map knowledge.

I see a lot of YouTube videos with titles like 'God looper runs killer for 5 gens' & then I watch it and it's basically an inexperienced killer that commits to a chase and gets abused. Constantly getting spun & FOV tech & running tiles and loops the wrong way.

I guess some people will get tilted by certain survivors and focus on them no matter what, but my guess is most due to inexperience.

• Xxjwaynexx
    Xxjwaynexx Member Posts: 268
    Options

For me it's definitely practice, if your a cracked survivor I'll chase you for ever for the learning experience. I won't talk trash and welcome the endgame teabags. I know that getting ran for 5 min will throw the game but o could careless, you always play another game you can't always get loop god survivors

• ElodieSimp
    Options

Going to agree with the anger/ego part. Especially when you're trying to perform well and have to sweat, game brings out the competitive nature in a lot of us.

• KolbyKolbyKolby
    KolbyKolbyKolby Member Posts: 608
    Options

having a super long chase against a survivor is fun. I love when I get run for a good amount of time, especially after so many matches of short chases and bad survivors. I'll throw a game for a long chase just because chasing is the funnest part of the game

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2023
    Options

Usually salt. A lot of killers hate it when they get thoroughly outplayed by one person. People like this are the ones who will facecamp and repeatedly hit you on the hook after a four gen chase. That's when you know you've done a good job. In these situations I don't even care about escaping anymore. Knowing I made the killer that salty just by playing well is satisfaction enough for me.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,197
    Options

I dont know

but god damn those chases are fun

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    Options

I'll occasionally just decide to throw a match if I run up against a fun and talented looper. Partially to pick up a trick or two I might not of though of, but mostly because it's fun. This does not include someone that just knows how to shift-w and pre-throw pallets. I'll farm a couple of key pallets off of them then go get some downs, but actual good loopers, hell yeah I'll throw a game for. Even to the extent that when I do down them I'll let them struggle off and chase some more if they want.

No salt in the EGC though, just thanks for a good time.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,326
    Options

Sometimes that isn't the original intent of the killer, but a consequence of not knowing how to think objectively when a gen pops mid chase. A lot of player at every skill level sometimes just get swept up and stop thinking objectively and the blinders come down. You go for the person you're already chasing even though it's costing you the game by doing so. Especially if you've been playing a lot of games where you've just generally been needing to really sweat or play way outside your comfort zone. Emotions carry over from trial to trial and tunnel vision is usually the consequence.

I would caution against taking youtube videos to heart cause as someone else mentioned a lot of time it is just baby killers who've probably go 10 or 20 hours in the game at most getting stunted on by someone who basically plays this game for a living. That isn't to say that there aren't just bad killers who get caught in 4k doing bad chases and getting super salty just that dbd chases are junk food content that has a history of being farmed off players who didn't really stand a chance to begin with. Same with those killer destroys toxic survivor compilations, a lot of times it is clear there is a huge imbalance of skill and game knowledge.

• Digfish
    Digfish Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2023
    Options

When I do it, it's because I know I've overcommitted to the chase and have probably already lost the game. Usually it's a SWF and like 3 gens pop in the first minute of the chase, or something to that effect. And I kinda want to see how long the survivor can keep the chase up. Good practice too, if it's a good looper

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,987
    Options

Sometimes it's ego, sometimes its overextending, but there are a few who dont really care about the game itself and just wanna chase someone.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,222
    Options

I did it as a newer player just to learn. I needed to learn the maps, learn how to track and how to mindgame at tiles. When I became experienced enough to be comfortable with all that I stopped doing it and focused more on actually winning the game.

That's a possible explanation. From playing survivor I'd say ego can be quite a good portion as well from when I get hit on hook multiple times after long chases (not a frequent occurrence but it does happen).

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,342
    edited June 2023
    Options

Because to them it doesn't really make sense to break chase and start with a new survivor who can just do the same thing. In theory you just add on the time of having to find someone else and end up in a worse situation.

It's kind of a gamble to start a chase with a new survivor and either hope they're weaker or hope they run to weaker areas or ones that have been used up already.

But a gamble is better than a guaranteed bad situation. But you have to learn that difference and not everyone does or it takes a long time.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,025
    Options

I honestly don't understand why you're asking. If you can run the killer for more than 4 minutes, you're the only survivor having fun in the match. There's nothing I like better than being chased by a Bubba who won't give up and wants my ass at any cost.

When I chase a very skilled survivor as a killer, I'd rather hunt him down than some random Steve who's on the ground after 10 seconds. It's because I want to get better, not because I'm mad. If you only play against mediocre people, you'll get worse over time.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,402
    Options

Unfortunately, most people on both sides don't understand this concept.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

It's a common mistake. Especially when you have one injured surv feels like they'll be the quickest down versus the 3 uninjured ones. But gen pressure is a thing. You let 2 gens pop in first chase and it's going to be a tough game where you have zero room for mistakes unless survs aren't smart enough and 3 gen themselves.

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2023
    Options
  • CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,057
    Options

I also do this. I'll bring some streamers to ensure everybody gets a lot of BP. This I usually do with killers I rarely use who I prestiged for the perks (bloody clothing) and I have a lot of streamers / survivor pudding to spare.

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

Lack of skill and reluctance to learn, so just gamble: to use cheesy lame playstyle and easy win, or be completely wrecked. 0 skill, 0 progression, 0 fun.

If less than 3 survivors and there are more than 1 gen left, it's almost impossible to lose as killer.

If wrecked, the foam comes from weak personality, because what other player will choose unskilled, unfun way to play, that doesn't work on strong players too. Can be compared with cheats, you can type IDDQD, but are you are playing the game after that?

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

I do it sometimes when I see a phenomenal looper in a lobby I'm facing. It's not about winning the game anymore, it's looking at how they use loops and how they chain them. I'm a very poor looper myself as survivor, so when I encounter a great one as killer I can't help but be mesmerized and try and understand how they play first-hand.

• Bartlaus
    Options

This is the best way to become a decent survivor. All the top survivors I know are also very good killers and vice versa.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

For the mayority it's because they heard tunneling is the only way to win so they try and force it not realising tunneling is a oppertunistic thing.

Another reason could be to just practise. I remember when i was learning Billy i decided before the match started i would chase the first survivor i saw and not stop untill i landed a curve. Lost a lot of games but also learned where i can and can't go for curves

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,510
    Options

IDK about those 2 things connecting

but:

1) If the Killer is chasing one Survivor for longer then 1 minute... they know as soon as they stop the Survivor is either going to let the team know and/or start working on a Gen around them... meaning the Killer has lost all of the pressure by stopping the chase

2) Maybe the are new to playing Killer (or a specific one) and being in chase allows them to grow as a Killer player

3) Maybe they have a chase daily or tome challenge

• lifeisstrange
    lifeisstrange Member Posts: 300
    Options

Their ego had been wounded and they rather you dead even at the cost of losing the gens, then the come on forum and complain that survivors are OP. This is fairly common on me specially am a streamer(we know how people hates streamers most times). Another reason can be stupid reasons like=I dont like the char/outfit your playing/using.

• ElodieSimp
    Options

Makes sense, you'd think someone would want to get better, not just chase - get looped into oblivion - then complain afterwards. If you want to chase a survivor to get better, great, that's what some of us do. You can learn a lot of tips, tricks, and mentality tactics. But to salt/foam in end game chat, guess it is what it is.

We see a lot of killer mains complain about toxicity but killer toxicity always seems to get a pass.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

either tilt/broken ego or trying to get better at chase.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,639
    Options

Inexperience and frustration mostly. If you want to be generous then you could call it determination.

• Bartlaus
    edited June 2023
    Options

I have read your entire post, mate. And I answered your question. Like many people pointed out before not every killer is tilted after chasing u for more than 4 min. If u had read my post u would understand why I dont get the point of your thread.

and

I think you already knew these answers to your question before you posted the thread.

Post edited by Bartlaus on
  • Bartlaus
    Options

That was addressed to the OP. Sry for the misunderstanding. In my opinion, the core question has already been answered, which is why I quoted your comment.

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124
    Options
    1. ego
    2. plenty of bad killers just focus on chasing, not realizing killer is about spreading pressure and taking the kills that get handed to you. its never really worth committing if theres much resistance.
  • PotatoPotahto
    PotatoPotahto Member Posts: 250
    Options

I do this sometimes if I get Garden of Joy or Badham 4 and I am playing some low tier killer. I already know I won't win and just throw the game this way because why not.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I would think for some practical reasons, obviously if you kill the strongest link, then the rest are easy.

Using up resources, so more deadzones.

They committed for too long and cannot stop chasing now cause it might cost them more.

I read some of the above replies, there are a lot of reasons. But I would thing practically it can make sense (although if the looper is way better than you then you just lost the game).

This discussion has been closed.