For/Against Removing The DC Penalties When DC Bots Get Introduced?

Options

Comments

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,688
    Options

I was around way before DC penalties. I mained old Freddy back then and had a DC almost every game. DC penalty was one of the greatest updates they added and bots are also one of the greatest to me.

People need to stop looking at old DBD with rose-tinted glasses. It was a ######### show of mass DCs, terrible balance, awful map and perk design, and even worse matchmaking. The only reason old DBD felt “fun” was because everyone was SO bad at the game that stuff like double pallets + vacuum wasn’t that big of a deal.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337
    Options
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,864
    Options

Keep them. No penalties would allow survivors to game shop, and since I also support hiding prestige, profiles, etc, in lobby to help curb lobby dodging, it'd be hypocritical of me to support getting rid of DC penalties.

• Saiph
    Saiph Member Posts: 295
    Options

You still lose all BPs when leaving, and then you have to sit 5 min again in queue. That alone is already a big penalty, and normally enough to have the vast majority of people not DC, at least that's what we see in most other multiplayer games. The fact DBD has such a massive problem with DCs is not a problem of the penalty being too low/too harsh, but the consequence of poor game design. DC penalties can already be circumvented by suiciding on hook anyway.

And yes I'm all for killers DC'ing for free, if someone is having such a bad game that they're even willing to sacrifice all BPs to get out of the match, then they should leave ASAP. The goal of a game is to have all players enjoy it together, not to have someone get humiliated. I think that if killers DC'd more often it would naturally solve a lot of problems with bully SWFs etc.

The advantages/drawbacks are known already. We just can't know if the cons will outweigh the pros, and I doubt anyone can tell without experimenting it. But there have already been periods of times without DC penalties, and the quality of matches felt better to me, yes you'd be in 3v1 more often because someone tantrum'd. And queues were longer for survivor. But the actual survivor gameplay felt good because killers were no longer camping/tunneling every game.

It's true that knight mains or people who have 90 pages of -reps would no longer be able to play with human players, which would make this forum very sad. But is it really a problem?

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,143
    Options

Ok, so i want you to go back and read my post, and explain to me where you could possible read anything i wrote there as "it is your fault if the killer wants to hard tunnel you"

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,970
    edited July 2023
    Options

I misread the last part, my apologies for the mistake.

Sometimes when reading, and even writing, my brain just autocorrects certain words into other words. English is something I have struggled with for a long time as a result, it's why I am typically horrible at articulating my thoughts.

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 208
    Options

Well, as a survivor, if you consider a killer DC to be a "penalty" (I didn't want 7000 BP for doing nothing.) then that's where we disagree. I respect your opinion. Honestly, I can see both sides of the Disconnect Debate, and I'm not sure where I land yet.

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 332
    Options

There's DCing left and right already, it can't get any worse removing the penalty. I feel like either the kill rates are going to shoot up from farming bots or it's going to decrease because killers are going to get bored facing bots. Either way, double edged sword.

People are still going to DC when bots come in, so what's the point? As if they don't DC already. Making the punishment harsher will only hurt the population and disincentivize people wanting to play.

It only makes sense to remove the penalty.

• Tiamat_Adara
    Tiamat_Adara Member Posts: 39
    Options

Making the punishment harder may get people, that can't bear the consequences of their misplays out of DbD, yes. Is that really a loss for the game and for all the others, that are willing to play full matches? I don't think so.

I consider DbD overall a "soft" PvP Game. The consequences of losing a game are minor, apart from some time to queue up and maybe an item you lose nothing. If a players mindset isn't able to cope with that, maybe PvP Games aren't their cup of tea in general.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

I'm usually on the keep-penalty side, but just came out of a very unpleasent wesker round, with all the gen slowdown and still tunneling hardcore at 4-5 gens, bc obviously the game is not winnable when you play with a strong killer and full slowdown, unless you tunnel one player out.

So I'm all-in for a free dc's, but ONLY for the playera after the first DC. So the first one dc'ing will get a penalty, but not the others. And another thing: Killers have to play out the match even against 4 bots! So if you want to hardcore tunnel, go on, but don't complain if you end up in a full bot match! They would still get their BP and stuff, but when they really want to play in a very unfun manner, which drives away their survivor players, they have to deal with (unfun) bots.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,425
    Options

Instead of removing the penalty because there's a lot of disconnects already and it supposedly can't get worse (it can, it would) we should increase the penalty.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,635
    Options

in that case, they can just run at the killer, start a chase and probably die soon anyway. Players who don't want to play WILL find ways to throw and avoid any potential systems meant to detect and punish that. That's why I think just letting them dc is the lesser evil because at least a bot that actually wants to play the game will replace them.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

If anything the penalty should only start when the DCd player is back in his/her lobby, not before. Many ppl use the time to spectate (this is mostly important for 5 and 15 minutes penalties), esp. with the introducing of bots - you really need to be carefull with that!

The penalty times in general are fine, this would be just a little tweak.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,120
    Options

Step 2, make it so anyone can DC without penalty and be repaced with a brainless AI. At what point will people that want a PvP stop playing because most of their games turn into PvE?

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 447
    edited July 2023
    Options

If I want to stop playing and killer won't hook me I'll just go afk.

Either make penalties worse for a while or make them less for a while.

But if you dc and see your bot win a game u raged on that would teach u to grow up.

Same goes for killer, play like a tool play with tools. See how fun that is.

But I think penalties are fine as is.

Matchmaking should be fixed tho.

• Mr_K
    Options

Arguments For PC Penalties Being Removed:

Me and my feelings.

If I'm not going to win, why should I continue playing?

I will just die on hook because why should I be the first on down with 5 gens? At least with bots you'll get a teammate that will struggle for you. That way I can go onto the next match and most likely DC on.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699
    Options

DC penalty needs to be made harsher, and BHVR needs to introduce the ability to rejoin an active game.

To my knowledge, BHVR doesn’t ban players for disconnecting, because there is little-to-no actionable evidence supporting the motive of rage quitting.

If players circumvent long DC penalties by AFKing and throwing themself at the killer, they will eventually be documented and banned.

For the longevity of the game, players who are not committed to seeing every game through—barring an IRL emergency—should be given no incentive to stick around.

The “disconnecting because things aren’t going my way” culture that has developed here is a scourge that that is quietly killing the game.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,548
    Options

Half of the arguments here are so lacking empathy that all I can hear is the Bubba streamer I played against who bled me out after two of my teammates DC'd and I tried to let go on hook, then got unhooked, and then got hump teched for 4 minutes. Avter the match he was speaking all kinds of things about how Survivors should be banned for 2 months for trying to get out of a game, how dare they not want to play with him and the classic "your fun isn't my responsibility"

Yeah buddy, the "babyrage Survivor dc counter" you have on your stream tipped me off to what kind of player I'm dealing with.

That's all I can think about looking at some of the replies here.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,635
    Options

And how will a system be able to document and differentiate between "throwing yourself at the killer" and being hard tunneled from the start? The only way this would work is if someone manually reviewed all those matches and that's just not going to happen.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

That's why I stay on my break I rarely play this game anymore.

Why play with childish butt-heads?

The excuse for this behavior is role playing.

That's what this whole game is anymore take out your anger, frustration you're bad day or whatever BS is going on, on other players.

And those players have to accept or play something else.

I understand this game is fun at times, but to get to those fun matches you have to go against others that are just out for (revenge). They take it out on the innocent players that are just trying to have a good time.

• KayTwoAyy
    Options

Empathy doesn’t solve the chronic DC problem that plagues this game.

That Bubba was wrong to do what he did, but his behavior doesn’t excuse the fact that the absence of regulation creates chaos.

The system doesn’t flag that behavior—other players do.

There is no “evidence” to submit when a player disconnects. No proof that they left out of malice.

Whereas AFKing and throwing can be documented by other players and submitted to BHVR for review.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,974
    Options

Additionally, what will the impact be on MMR.

If any survivor can freely DC right before they die, and let their bot take the fall, then they can accrue only positive MMR.

This alone would appear to dispel any 'debate' around the subject.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,425
    Options

And if their MMR goes down when they disconnect they an abuse it freely to get easy wins against low MMR Killer players. Just another reason why the penalty must stay.

• Pulsar
    Options

Empathy starts conversations.

Demonizing the other side does nothing except divide people further. Trying to understand goes a long way.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,716
    Options

I'm against the removal of DC penalties. I think the penalty should be harsher for people who DC more than 3 times within a 4 hour period.

DC Penalties discourages people from just abusing the MMR system to tank their rating and get easy matches. Similarly, I don't want the majority of my matches to be with bots.

I don't play killer very often, but when I do, I end up downing the overconfident player fairly quickly which results in them d/cing because they didn't get the perfect start they expected. It just isn't fair to the rest of the team when this happens.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,813
    Options

Why do people DC in the first place again?

How about address the issue first?

• KayTwoAyy
    Options

You're not wrong there.

We could do with a whole lot less demonizing.

• jayoshi
    jayoshi Member Posts: 305
    Options

Bots are better than nothing. I have seen so many people die on hook to get out of a game and if they get saved will throw every pallet. I would rather they just DC. I'm not even talking about me being able to DC, just people who do ######### like that. I don't think it will be nothing but bot games every match, but no one truly fully knows if that would be the case or not. They can assume it will be, but no one really knows unless it gets tested.

That's why I think they should do a trial of it where they get rid of the DC penalty for a week or maybe two just to see if people notice games are better and they don't see an uptick in people dying on hook. Because what I know right now is we do currently have a DC and dying on hook problem. People have been complaining about that for the past year or so and I think something should be done and I think we should at the very least try it instead of being so sure we know what the outcome will be.

I mean another alternative could be a player's ban is based on how long their bot is in a game. Everyone is assigned a bot number and if your bot is still in a game, then you can't ready up until that bot is dead or escaped.

• KayTwoAyy
    Options

Can I ask how you believe the removal of the DC penalty would improve the current situation?

I understand your position of "lets try it and see what happens," but as @Trollinmon pointed out, we've already been down that path and the disconnects spike every single time.

There is zero love lost between players in this game, which is why no one feels obligated to see their game through. So I am very curious to know how enabling "my fun isn't your responsibility" could at all be beneficial.

• Pulsar
    Options

Not the guy you replied to, heads up.

For one, if DC penalties are gone people will be replaced by a bot. Right now, more people will kill themselves on hook because that means there won't be a penalty for them. If that's removed, they'll AFK. If that's bannable, they'll throw. You get the picture there. With the Bot DC system, you want people to DC because that means it'll spawn a bot. If they don't DC, no bot.

Secondly, most players never experienced DBD without a penalty, so there's a novelty factor in play. It's a shiny new toy for them to play with, but that will fade over time.

Lastly, I think it'll help burn-out. Survivor teammates are happier because they have a chance to play, Killer is happy because they have some sort of a challenge and can still get points/achievements and the DC'd player is happy because they got out of an unfun match, meaning they'll be less likely to DC in the future after being forced to endure horrid match after horrid match.

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 332
    edited July 2023
    Options

Increase the penalty so it takes even longer for you to find lobbies because of how little people are playing. Got it.

Pulsar explained it perfectly. I'm against bots coming to pubs to begin with, but that really defeats the purpose of keeping the DC penalty.

• Pulsar
    Options

We don't know what players tend to do when the penalty being removed isn't new.

There is no winning with the MMR system. If you don't lose MMR, you encounter the problem you mentioned. If you do lose MMR, you get people purposefully dropping mmr.

• KayTwoAyy
    Options

I think you bring up some good points, and it sounds to me like we have two different schools of thought.

You) Accept rage-quitting for the inevitability that it is, and lean into it with a system that neither punishes nor rewards. A.K.A AI backfilling is the future of gaming

Me) Reject rage-quitting, despite its inevitability, and enforce a system that values quality over quantity. A.K.A Make A Gamer Selfless Again

Apologies if that feels like I’m putting words in your mouth

I do foresee the alleviated burn-out. DBD struggles with the vicious cycle of “hate begets hate,” and bots present an opportunity to salvage a previously soured experience.

It is such a question mark right now, though. When people play PvP games, they like to know that they are playing against real people.

It is difficult to predict how the community will react—and it may even take several months to really make waves one way or another.

Totally agree, crime does not fit the punishment. Even for repeat offenders, anything beyond 2hrs is pretty egregious

• Pulsar
    Options

I mean, you could solve a multitude of issues at once by removing names from the lobby and in the match. Just have it be "Steve Harrington 03" in the lobby and in-game, then reveal the true name of the player post-match. You could also remove the lobby entirely and just have people in-game have their names hidden.

That would stop people from freaking out about bot matches, I bet you won't even know 90% of the time if you aren't looking for it.

I do agree that above all else, each path forward requires time. That time is bound to be very painful in either scenario.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,220
    Options

How about the trial still ends when 4 survivors disconnect and the killer just gets BP? Like 15k-20k.

Killers wont be playing against 4 bots and survivor will find a new thing to hate killers for. A win-win lol.

Who knows, maybe survs just stop dcing to spitefully deny such 4bot-game-ender-compensation.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,262
    Options

The d/c penalties need to be removed from the game. Either that, or the reasons why survivors d/c need to be addressed. Slugging and tunneling are by far the 2 most common reasons survivors d/c. There is absolutely no reason a survivor should be forced to stay on the ground for more than 30 seconds.

• Mr_K
    Options
  • KayTwoAyy
    Options

This is so ridiculous, it might just work.

If anything in this game is a constant, it’s players’ desire to prevent their opponent any semblance of victory.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

The first point I can agree with. Removing DC would increase the odds that bots come into play. But I still think there should be some safe guards in place to punish escessive DC'ing. It may be ok to DC when the killer is playing super obnoxious / toxic, but some survivors will also DC for the stupidest, most miniscule reasons. That shouldn't be encouraged.

The other two points are more like wishful thinking for me. Fading over time is just one possibility, some players might also develope a bad habit of dc'ing regularly against certain killers, maps, when their team misplays etc. And if you are burnt out from the game, you should take a break and / or reassess your expectations from the game. I cannot see how DC'ing more should help you when you are fed up from the game.

Instead of this "wishfull thinking", free DC's might be able to mitigate the impact of "unfun" playstyles by the killer. E.g. when the killer hardcore tunnels at five gens, all survivors could just DC on the spot. The killer would then have to play out his unfun game against bots (or win instantly, but I would prefer the first). That MIGHT nudge them to play less unfun in the future. But comes with the collateral that some killers might be totally unplayable just bc they are deemed "unfun". Such a thing does not only suck for the killer player not getting to play a proper game with their choosen character, but also for survivors who do not mind playing against that unfun killer, but get deserted by the other survivors.

For example, Skull Merchant is hated quite universally, so I would expect many DC's in such matches. But I'm not minding her too much and wouldn't DC, but that might get me 3-bot-games whenever I face a Skully. That would spoil my fun more in the long run than my teammates playing out the game with gritted teeth.

There's no easy solution, honestly.

Btw: You points are a near replica of Scott Junds opinion in one of his last vids. Which made me think, whether you are the REAL Scott Jund, in disguise :D ?

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685
    Options

The general game experience would be better if stuff that was unfun was gone from the game

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685
    Options

the way we have it now is fine. The dc penalty needs to stay. However I do think the hook suicide needs to stay as well