What percentage of players are on console?

Options

Sometimes I wonder if people's experience playing on controller/console affects their opinion that much.

So I was wondering which percentage of the playerbase is on console and which percentage is PC players. I play on PC, but I grew up on consoles, so controllers are more intuitive to me than the keyboard. Still... I gotta say, playing killer on controller is a painful experience and I found it immensely easier to play with keyboard and mouse. On survivors I still play with a controller because it feels more natural to me after having played so many 3rd person games on console.

Comments

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Not sure what the official stats are but I think I once saw like 70-80% console, 20-30% PC. I know it’s the 19th most played game on Xbox and was the 15th most downloaded game on PS two years ago. I don’t think it’s in the top 20 on PlayStation anymore though.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

I feel like the game has to be at least 70-75% console.

Being someone that plays killer on controller on PC though I don't think it's that bad it just locks you out of very specific killers but not the ones you'd think. The aim based killers are actually fine for me and I used to main Deathslinger before they nerfed tf out of him.

The killers that need quick precise flicks like Blight, Oni, Executioner, Hillbilly are the real ones I feel I'm unable to lock their full potential but the others work just fine.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

That would actually make a lot of sense if the representation was the same on the forums too. I was just wondering, that's all. But that is a huge playerbase. I expected something closer to 50%-60%.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    Options

I remember finding Huntress, Nurse and Artist very clunky to play. On keyboard it feels a lot smoother and faster, and same with gen skillchecks. There's some delay when I hit my skillchecks on my controller as opposed to my keyboard which is more responsive.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    Options

I'm on PC. Controller for survivor and m+kb for killer. I have the game on PS5 too but I never play it on console. The game is too dark on default settings. You can play 90% of the killer roster just fine on controller. Aim killers and flick killers are going to be rough though. I tried Nurse on controller and felt lost.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    Options

So M1 killers basically and a few others work on controller? I don't like M1 killers at all, no wonder I found it a clunky mess. Cannot imagine playing Pinhead on controller.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

I wouldn't say they treat them horribly by any stretch of the imagination.

This game doesn't run that great on pc which has variable configurations, so to expect it to run particularly well on ps4 and xboxone is a bit of a stretch. That isn't an excuse, but like both of those platforms are kinda known to be issue-laden messes unless you're really optimizing your game to run at the low-spec minimum. Switch is criminally under powered because Nintendo is Nintendo and seems to love shipping underpowered consoles. Ps5 and Series X are in a better place hardware wise.

• ReikoMori
    Options

We don't exactly have a wealth of controller settings on pc either, we have the option to use mouse and keyboard though which takes the sting outta that issue. I can't necessarily speak to the issues of difficult to play killers on console all that much because the killers I play the most are actually very controller friendly. I know Singularity's dog water for controller users and I remember some complaints about Trickster being a bit of a bear on console due to his recoil in Main Event. Outside of those cases and maybe the flick gang most killers are controller friendly.

I can't speak to console specific bugs as that's not my area of expertise for this game. I know of general long standing bugs that exist across all platforms, but little about console specific bugs outside of things related to netplay or stability.

• Wiccamanplays
    Wiccamanplays Member Posts: 130
    Options

I wish I had the quick turn binds you can make on PC attached to my direction buttons on PS5. It may well be possible but I've no idea how to do it.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,804
    Options

Here’s hoping this is the year we might get console ptb lol

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,520
    Options

These ratios of the playerbase are about right.

The interesting thing is that although most of the players are on the consoles, we mostly play as a surv. I wonder why that is???

• ReikoMori
    Options

That functionally isn't possible.

DBD's ptb requires patching over the game every single time they do one. On steam we have to first opt in to beta then the game auto patches itself to the ptb patch. PTB patches are on saved live game server images that are made a couple weeks before the start date of a ptb. On pc this is fine as you're not really super limited to how or when you want to push patches and hotfixes to your game. On console this is very different as every time you want to patch your game the platformer owner requires you to have your patch verfied and charges a fee for as well. It's time consuming and prohibitively expensive to do that for something that is temporary. This is why almost all games don't do PTBs on consoles and only do them on pc where they have much more freedom to patch and hotfix at will.

Things might be different if DBD maintained a public test realm server that was functionally a separate downloadable game for consoles, but even then you wouldn't get the same level of interactivity that a pc based test realm would. I was told recently in another thread that Minecraft does ptb stuff on xbox, but I guess that comes down to being own by microsoft and thus not needing to worry about time priorities and patch certification costs since it's all under the same company.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,685
    edited July 2023
    Options

It functionally is possible, BHVR just isn't interested in it.

Whether that's for monetary reasons or something else, they clearly don't really care about that.

Their entire attitude towards Console has always seemed like an afterthought.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 227
    Options

I feel compelled to state I’m a Nintendo switch player just because it seems it’s so rare to see others on the forums. I kind of feel we don’t even belong to the console category which almost everyone refers to as PS/Xbox.

I don’t really have much issue except it can be very dark on certain maps and controls can be a little clunky. I’ve seen YouTube videos of other players and wondered if it was the same game how the performance is so good.

I’m also not really skilled so probably the more micro elements that make a big difference to skilful players probably aren’t that impactful for me yet.