Do You Use Filters?

Options

Hey you, yes, you. I need your input on this topic since I want to gather the community's stance on Filters.

Rather it be NVIDIA Filters or TV/Monitor settings, do you use Filters to change the way the game looks? If so why?

I personally have been using Filters to deal with my Deuteranopia (Red-Green) Colorblindness. To be more specific, colors that have red and/or green in them blend together with my vision and brain, I have a difficult time making sense of those colors and it can be hard for me to see certain things as a result.

As you can probably tell, this is an issue with DBD. You need to see RED scratchmarks and blood by often looking through GREEN grass. As you can imagine, this is not a fun thing to deal with, and while BHVR's colorblind settings help a bit, often Filters do the heavy lifting.

Visual example below.

Because I personally feel bad using Filters to alter my game's appearance, I do have a few downsides that Ive decided to live with. Maps like Coldwind, Eyrie of Crows, and Decimated Borgo have the issue where colors blend together when I use Filters, as the changes in coloration ironically make things worse for my colorblindness on those maps.

I hope that wasnt too long or too boring to read.

Anyways, Filters, how do we feel about them?

Comments

• OnryosTapeRentals
    OnryosTapeRentals Member Posts: 775
    Options

Yes.

I main Onryō and she has a whitish overlay while Demanifested that makes the game look brighter and more washed out. In most instances, this is fine but on some of the realms it's far too bright (Coldwind Farm and Eyrie of Crows). I use filters to darken it and make it tolerable.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,013
    Options

Yes.

I use Nvidia freestyle and have gamma cranked up to 100%

Dark isn't 'scary' its just annoying af

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,009
    Options
  • Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    edited August 2023
    Options

Yes, I do.

If my eyes getting blurry because I can't turn off a strong antialiasing - I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Also if a player struggle to see in the game because it's too dark or colorless, it just gonna hurt the eyes, so I'm pretty sure I can put a filter on it, just so I don't hurt my eyes by the end of a session.

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118
    Options

I use a reshade preset it looks way better

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659
    Options

Yup. I use all of them. No reason not to. Ty BHVR! :D Even though I use them I do wonder to myself all the time why we are allowed to. I mean its clearly giving me an advantage, but I'm not going to question or complain about something that's 'helping' me do better at the video game..lol.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,176
    Options

I use reshade. Game looks million times better with it.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options

i can't!!! ps4 baby

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

I don't use filters yet but I'm gonna look into it because of vision issues that the accessibility don't cover and that not only make the game harder for me but also makes my eyes hurt if I play too long

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

I used them for the same reason you do, and because i couldnt even see the aura of gens or hooks on green maps.

However, when they invented their own color filter, they also made those auras brighter by default, and i can see them better on some maps.

The problem is, i had to change the color filters depending on the map, because Red forest need other filters than Coldwind which again needs other than Ormond. But that meant spending around 30+ seconds to adjust the filters depending on the map, which puts you at a huge disadvantage as killer. I just came to the conclusion that i am not be able to see those things on some maps, and simply refuse to play on them.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,216
    Options

No, but if I'm playing during the day there are some maps where I can't see ######### on. Even if I have my curtains closed like a hermit they're still too dark.

• oreoslurpee
    oreoslurpee Member Posts: 286
    Options

i do yes, but it’s not to gain an advantage over players. the dark blur or just darkness in general looks awful, and the games graphics are lowkey bad even on ultra which is why i think that the engine is a part of why the darkness is so bad. as survivor, i use the filter to turn my brightness up because for things like deep wound, as time passes by, it literally completely darkens my screen to the point i cant see anything and it’s just like #########?

i like using it for both sides because i can point things out easier, but it’s not too bright bc i don’t wanna be flashbanged everytime i open up the game

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

I wouldn't mind filters IF EVERYONE COULD USE THEM. The difference alone between low and ultra settings is huge, console players don't even have this simple option. The fact that DBD is still one of the few games i know without INGAME BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS is just... Idk. Just compare a dark map on ultra (vanilla, how it's intended to be - which is good) with the same dark map on low graphics with better brightness and tell me there is no advantage as you can see the killer and survs much clearer. With good filters on top it's like day and night. And ofc ppl get addicted to it as they feel they need to use it to compete. But how is that fair with crossplay vs. console players?

Imo any changes in the config should be banned and brightness options and a graphic/performance mode should be added for all plattforms. I can only asume the first part would also help a lot with the cheater problem.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

External brightness and a smidge of contrast. Had one too many games on Autohaven after its graphical update where I couldn't see a running survivor ~8m away from me.

However other things have indicated to me that my laptop was just displaying *everything* as darker than it should have been, so... *shrug*.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    edited August 2023
    Options

nessesary because of the lack of actual brightness settings , now colors are another different story.

I use them because I hate how dark the game is , even on low graphics nighfall + boon overlay + default brightness= eye damage.

holy ######### , that explains why many hunk players are having a hard time following scratch marks XD

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,999
    Options

No

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,482
    Options

Bless you and your kind soul.

You may have an extra toy at recess! 😁

• JPLongstreet
    Options

Borrow a friend's PS4 or whatever and see what us consolers can see. Or can't see.

Y'all don't really need them steady 60fps either! 🤪😜

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659
    Options

I've seen the game on Switch. It looks atrocious in comparison. And its so DARK.. xD

• JPLongstreet
    Options

What df is this monstrosity?!?!

That Blight has the good indoor grown serum i see...

• JPLongstreet
    Options

Some of the upstairs rooms in Haddenfield look like black holes have devoured everything. Puts the Dredge's power to shame!

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options

Yes because the game is very dull and its 50 shades of gray.

• Iron_Cutlass
    edited August 2023
    Options

Most TV/Monitors come with Contrast and Brightness settings, my cheap TV that I used for a really long time had access to it, I reckon most tech released in the last decade has it. Back when I was on Console I used them, on PC I still use them. And again, I use it to fill in for my Red-Green Colorblindness, I really struggle to see things without it because the colors just blur/blend together.

I also only tanked my Config settings because BHVR refuses to optimize their game. If I didnt have FPS issues I wouldnt be forced to use them. I think BHVR should make these settings changeable without needing to alter the Config to begin with; but this is BHVR we are talking about... it took us 7 years to get a Search Bar... so yea.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,088
    edited August 2023
    Options

I can't but I would if I could. I think I'd add a blue tint to my game to make the color in the night skies seem more prominent.

• Katzengott
    edited August 2023
    Options

Changing brightness or gamma in TV settings won't help for DBD, ppl tried that. And the ingame colourblindness settings doesn't really work for colourblind ppl neither. At this point BHVR could also mess up with ingame brightness settings, maybe it is what it is, better don't risk it. It just bothers me when ppl "mod" DBD so they can see much better (or to have insane FPS) but then at the same time they're pretending it's not an advantage, they just want to DBD "looking better". This reminds me of the stupidity of strechted res.

• Iron_Cutlass
    edited August 2023
    Options

On my PC, I have issues with FPS, I make it very well known that BHVR needs better optimization, I have made several Feedback and Suggestions posts about it.

Also keep in mind, with my PC, I could barely play the Anniversary without FPS issues or crashing. And while the game is somewhat stable, it pulls so much processing power that my audio drivers stop working half the time so I cant VC.

Also I cant play Oni. I tried playing Oni time and time again but it just pulls too many resources and my game freezes until the match is over. Playing against Oni has no issues, it's only playing as Oni I have issues, I reckon it might have to do with Blood Orb rendering but Idk.

DBD is the only game where I have this issue. Even Meet Your Maker, another game by BHVR, does not have this bad of performance issues. DBD is held together by glue, rubberbands, paper-clips, and masking-tape; it's been years and the closest things to an optimization patch we got was certain Killers (like Nurse) being recoded.

As per my thoughts on the matter. BHVR needs to make these settings changeable across all platforms rather than something that can only be changed in the Config. BHVR also really needs to recode their game but realistically that will never happen.

• PAntWill
    PAntWill Member Posts: 19
    Options

Yes. I use Nvidia colour & detail filters (like saturate) I play both sides and I just like my perks looking brighter, my cosmetics looking brighter and more textured and more colour powered. I just like it. I turned them off once and realised how now the game looked so washed and blurry compared.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,013
    Options

cope

having a brighter game doesnt make you suddenly better at looping.

the whole complaint about filters is literally just bad players looking for something to blame

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Lol talk about deflection, I wasn't talking about looping I was talking about finding survivors.

The game doesn't have a brightness or an FoV slider, for a reason. We have perks that explicitly affect FoV, and offerings that used to affect light level. They aren't supposed to be modified by players, particularly not with outside tools, which is exactly what you were describing.

The killer's perspective and what they can see is controlled so that no one gets an unfair advantage. And I guess to a lesser extent survivors for spotting stealth killers like ghostface.

I don't have trouble finding survs or hiding from killers. But I recognise an unfair advantage when I hear one. Sounds like you're perhaps the one who needs to cope if you gotta crank the gamma up because the dark "annoys" you.

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 373
    edited August 2023
    Options

I'm using filters to sharp the game, but I'm keeping it dark and don't kill the shadows for obviously reasons.

Post edited by Hexonthebeach on
  • M1_gamer
    M1_gamer Member Posts: 340
    Options

sometimes for the memes. deepfried screen lol

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 334
    Options

They make life so much easier. I just can't with how dark the game is without filters.

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 334
    Options

but we are getting an FOV slider, sometime soon. there should be more graphic settings to make the game look brighter/less darker, so people really shouldn't call using filters cheating.

i can name you plenty of casual people i watch/play with that use filters to compensate for how dark the game looks - it doesn't give anyone superpowers.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,584
    Options

No, it gives a huge advantage.

Also... It looks horrible. Ever watched the stretched res comp players?

BK Myers is real for sure.

THIS is true immersion.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,789
    Options

I've used them before, but I didn't stick with it. For me, it was purely the issue of the game looking super, super dark, with no slider or anything to calibrate the brightness. On my new computer, I don't really have a problem seeing, so maybe it had to do with my graphics settings, or maybe when the updated the maps they made them brighter. No idea.

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 554
    Options

Honestly speaking, I don't understand why Be Haviour doesn't put an option for brightness adjustments, there are so many things that the guys use that don't have by default in the game, every game I play I come across against players using image filter, cross hair, discord, very expensive headphones, and I think that all of this should be standard in the game and used by anyone who wants to,there are a lot of people who, for some lunatic reason that I don't know, don't want this in the game, but we are not in 2016 anymore, accept that DBD has changed, the game will never be balanced, but these things get even worse if they don't exist in the game, if you don't like it, disable it in the options

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

If they add it as a proper i game option fair enough

And I'm not saying it's superpowers like blatant hacking style cheating, but it still confers an advantage over players who can't change brightness i.e. console players. You can't say brightening up dark maps like dead dawg and backwater swamp doesn't make it so much easier to spot players trying to hide on those maps.

• Katzengott
    edited August 2023
    Options

Some maps are darker for a reaon, it's INTENDED! And the game looks fine with ultra settings and stable 60fps, that's all we need.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,451
    Options

nope, pc player and i don't use filters because i don't know how to set them up and didn't ever felt the need to figure out how. just low settings, good enough.