Why is nobody using Nurse's Calling?

Remember back in very very old days where Nurses was 32m range and got nerfed and still was pretty meta perk? Yea... well that perk wasn't changed since (not counting for Doctor interaction with madness - it used to reveal you because it counted as healing) for X years.

The perk is still pretty good, especialy on Killers who can hit & run and sneak up on Survivors. Yet I never see this perk. Why?

Comments

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

People tend to only use one info perk that's why

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,205

people used nurse calling because it was only aura perk in the game. the perk wasn't very good but there was nothing else. once BBQ came out, nurse calling got phased out. Only stealth killer had any use for nurse calling but they don't really care for it.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,478

Because as others have mentioned there really wasnt any competition. Before Bubba came out, (September 2017) these were the only other tracking perks other than Nurses Calling;

Bitter Murmur - Only activated once the last gen was completed, aura reading lasted 9 seconds.

Deerstalker - Basically unchanged. (They buffed the Tier 1 and 2 values in a later patch)

Hex: Thrill of the Hunt - Gave a loud noise notification when some one was cleansing a Hex Totem, how ever the penalty to cleansing wasnt as severe.

Sloppy Butcher - Only gave Hemorrhage, Mangled only came in a later patch.

Spies from the Shadows - Only had a 75% chance of activating.

Whispers - Unchanged.

Predator - Scratch marks had a wider spread and would stay in the environment for a few more seconds. With how bugged scratch marks were at the time, this perk was even more detrimental to run than it is nowadays.

Bloodhound - Only made blood last a few more seconds in the environment. The RGB only came in a later patch.

Shadowborn - Increased the brightness of the environment in addition to an increase in FOV at the cost of being more sensitive to flashlights.

Stridor - Basically unchanged (Was additive rather than multiplicative)

As you can see, Nurses Calling didnt really have competition. As the game evolved how ever, it slowly made its way out of the meta as more and more information perks started being introduced.

• MikeStev
    MikeStev Member Posts: 384

Because old DBD doesn't have a lot of options for the aura reading (information) perk, That's why Nurses Calling and BBQ became meta.

Nowhere To Hide, Darkness Reveal, Flood of Rage, Lethal Pursuer, Ultimate Weapon, Infectious Fright etc are better than Nurses Calling

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

When I play PH I use this perk sometimes. But it's not strong enough on most killers so rather bring other perks.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 480
    edited September 2023

I use it on Ghostie and Wraith and occasionally myers.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

The game is much faster where survivors don't necessarily heal enough to get value from nurse's often. Much better to run perks to regress gens and generic info perks to locate survivors then to rely on catching those healing.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 954

does not combo with Lethal Pursuer

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,586

To get value out of Nurse's Calling you need a killer with mobility to even get around, spread hits and scout people healing and also a stealth killer. Otherwise people will stop healing when they hear your TR and then you run around with 3 perks.

On top of that, Nurse's Calling is very unreliable. What if survivors stay injured all game and play into their Adrenalines? Or what if they heal in secluded area of the map? It's also information that you don't always need. It might help you get into the next chase a bit quicker but chances are you are going to see them heal while you are already in chase with someone else.

It's not a bad perk by any means but it doesn't really serve one specific purpose and that's why people tend to run different perks.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

I see it reasonably often. It's still a fantastic aura reading perk. Maybe other perks are just more consistent.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

A few reasons

1. There are much better info perks now such as No Where to Hide and Ultimate Weapon
    2. Often survivors just won't heal and will just use Adrenaline to heal up. And with Made For This and Resilience being meta survivors are less inclined to heal up.
    3. If they do heal, they usually won't heal up near the killer or heal in an area where the killer shouldn't be in
    4. Distortion is pretty common and hard counters the perk. Using Nurse's Calling on a stealth killer just gives away your position if someone is healing with Distortion.
    5. Off the Record is also fairly common and hides the survivors aura during the time they are most likely going to heal up (90s after being unhooked). So unless they are being healed by a teammate, you won't even be able to find them during the time that they most likely will be healing.
  • GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,545

I still use it when I play, and always will.

This perk will always be meta in my book.

• Hex_Maidenless
    Hex_Maidenless Member Posts: 112

Nurse's Calling is one of those perks that is forever trapped in the "well, if I had a 5th slot..." group with Iron Maiden.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,171
    edited September 2023

Distortion

Also there are other information perks, as the game has developed more and more perks have been added, and the perk economy is not really in the best shape it has been.

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414

I use it in my information build for Xeno. It's very good at revealing people healing while I scurry around the tunnels.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Because there's better aura reading perks available now.

Back when Nurse's was somewhat meta, it was one of few aura reading perks available. Now we have an abundance of them, most of them better than Nurse's.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Better Aura Perks came overtime and Nurses Calling was just powercrept. It is basically "Nowhere to Hide at home". And some others are also better than Nurses Calling.

Also Iron Will being irrelevant made Nurses Calling weaker. Because the area where you would still see them with Nurses Calling but not hear them because they are injured is pretty small. Not really worth using a Perk Slot for that if you can just hear them anyway when they are close.

• EternalRique
    EternalRique Member Posts: 114

I mean outside of Pyramid Head, I don't see myself ever running the perk; unless I want to do an Anti-healing build on Nurse which is rare.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,286
  • Hanuka5
    Hanuka5 Member Posts: 141

I use it on knight together with sloppy and on executioner besides that the usage is very limited.

There is not mutch benefit from a "hit & run" tactic because

1.) alot of healing items

2.) some survivors are playing an injured build and wont heal themself the whole game.

3.) There are better infoperks

There are just better Infoperks nowaday :/ I mean together with sloppy its a good perk, since you injure the suv. than they heal -> you come they have to run away and loose healing progress. But that allready blocks 2 perk slots.

• VonCrow
    VonCrow Member Posts: 389
    • Efficient survivors doesn't heal. They feel safe while injured cause MFT.
    • A lot of off the record and distorsion which counters the perk.