The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Everyone leaving DBD!?!

Listen I've made a lot of negative comments about the state of DBD. But I've noticed that a lot of streamers recently (and friends) have quit DBD. I have friends with 10k+ hours that's quitting now and like the game just isn't that enjoyable anymore.

I don't know about yall opinions but even back in the days with infinites, stretched res, dead hard the game was more enjoyable. Killer is just way too easy now I mean I play without perks and win basically all my matches. SoloQ isn't fun either you lose matches due to bad teammates. My point is the game doesn't need to be super balanced. It isn't a competitive game and while I agree that infinites and that shouldn't be a thing I still found it more enjoyable playing against meta builds back in 2017 - 2020 and losing than I do now when I'm winning basically EVERY SINGLE MATCH.

I don't care if you agree with my opinion or not, but if you have played DBD for a while did you find it more enjoyable back then? How important is balancing? and do you think that its possible to have fun on both sides while one side is arguably better/easier?

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

I don’t think the state of the game back then was that much better and if it stayed the way it was the game would have probably already died.

though the game is in need of some actual new content outside of new killers/perks/maps. It has gotten stale.

DbD is very lucky that until now -even though many tried- there has been no actual alternatives yet. It needs to lose its monopoly and hopefully TCSM will have a great impact but I fear it won’t be enough

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

I didn't play DbD for a week and I am having good time honestly not playing.

However I am more like waiting for mid-chapter with Halloween event.

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940

I wouldn't hold my breath when I see last few updates, it's hard to do worse than knight/skull merchant/xenomorph/onryo, it's just modern DbD it was more fun back then but it can't go back

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,127

For me, this is a game best enjoyed in bouts. That is to play it every now and again, but do not become embroiled in it. It's easy to be worn down by negative experiences or people.

I've seen a couple of streamers wishing to move on and, alongside game fatigue, I do put it down to being enveloped within the ways some players or streamers are. One streamer said they were leaving DBD, citing the toxicity of the players he would call out played no part, yet their body language gave so many contra-indications to this it was unreal. It would only be speculation as to why they would try to cover this, but when a job is so engrossed in dealing with negativity and lack of variety, it will never not affect people.

For me, the game is still fun, which is mainly down to my approach towards this. Some others become too absorbed, too meticulous, too much buried under the weight of bad experiences that the perception becomes skewed.

Despite all this, BHVR need to look at ways of making this game fresh and addressing the problems within. Not to say it's their fault (because for me the playerbase is the main reason this game would be suffering), but since some of the playerbase will always be too stubborn to change, they're the only ones who can realistically do anything about this.

It's not any major issue overall, but freshness is needed.

• coco_shotz
    coco_shotz Member Posts: 249

This is purely my pov but this might be shared by others. Having played this game consistently for at least 5 years (amount played changed on and off depending on other games out at the time) I can say that Ive seen enough lol. It's a really unbalanced game that people want to make competitive so badly when it's just not built for that. The constant changing of metas, removal of perks and items for no other reason than to appease the vocal minority. It's tiresome. Luckily this year has seen some good releases in my personal interests that I've been playing more and while I still play dbd, it's much less than it was. Getting to the point, this is not the game that should be THE GAME for you (meaning you mainly play this game more than any others you have) as it causes nothing but anger and grief in that regard. I've been enjoying it more lately because I don't play it much and am not bothered by the inconsistencies that appear all the time. Dbd is fun but it's not a game to be taken that seriously as it doesnt have the design or foundation to really be a truly balanced experience.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,273

Had to stop playing before the Singularity release. I thought I’d miss it more but, surprisingly, I don’t. I don’t miss any of the toxicity from either side. Both roles are in dire need of some spice. New perks won’t help the monotony that plagues the gameplay.

I really only miss Mr Scratched Mirror. Was fun to scare people and watch their clips of them screaming.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

That's sad situation to be. I have one friend too who I don't get to anymore play dbd. But still my bro:s do sometimes.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 862

I still see myself playing the game until they themselves decides to discontinue dbd. I have fun. But i dont play on a daily basis. I have a life. And so should streamers. I dont find it healthy if they continue streaming the game for years without a break or playing other games. Nothing wrong with taking a break and coming back later. But thats up to the individual.

The game pretty much has a stable playerbase. And although veterans leave for awhile, new players do come in as well which is the important part. Which is also why they do focus on casual playstyles. Its a drawback for veterans like most of us, but it does help with longevity of the game in the longrun

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,064

I'm having a great time these days but playing as a killer has been the weirdest: It is very easy to win quite a few matches with the same build. Then MMR skyrockets and I have matches with zero results. Yes, MMR has always been there, I know, many a discussion thread has been opened about this but recently it's been the strangest.

I have finally plucked up enough courage to close the endgame chat once and for all. I approach every match not competitively but with a very calm attitude. Overall, I enjoy matches better but the winning rate with my killers is strange and I just have no idea what will happen.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

I have found myself wondering if player drop-off is partly responsible for the terrible matchmaking lately. But the player count seems to be steady so I have no clue.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Yikes, not even on yer Bday!?🥺

Even if I completely hated DBD n was absolutely finished w the game, I’d still be there to play matches w my bestie on their Bday!

sheesh, I totally feel awful that happened to ya😔

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2023

I don't blame them. They literally said "anything but DBD" and besides that I didn't want them to have to reinstall the game just for a few matches. Some games just aren't worth coming back to. We ended up playing Devour and had a lot of fun.

It really depends on the game. I have a lot of games I've played longer than DBD that I always come back to or even still play almost everyday.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,955

I think the game was way worse back then, i also dont play the game every day because this community gets tiring very fast.

• CatnipLove

It is strange that survivors need teamwork to gets the gates powered, but the game makes it difficult to coordinate and actively creates chaos with the matchmaking. Maybe TCM gets it right, where you can work as a team but also escape by working solo.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,830

Its abit of a mixed bag from us. Somethings are better, while others aren't. Regardless, we're playing less because we wan't to play other things on occasion.

One claw, new killers, map, and perks to play around with. No true infinites to deal with and alot of bs is cut down.

The other claw, 85% or so of the players we see are effectively the same thing. Alot of little things that made matches more varied are gone (flashlight burns, dark map offerings, etc)

We do believe its possible to have fun on one side even with an unfair advantage to a certain extent, but it needs to be a "fair" unfair advantage (perfect english... but its hard to explain for us. Think hard games that have some bs but its a know factor... again hard to explain)

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,399

I wonder how they could implement something like that. Obviously hatch is an option with one survivor left, but it's hard to keep morale going if someone ducks out early or is tunnelled out early or team mates insist on doing nothing. So alternative escape routes would help with that, but I feel like anything that gives survivors an additional chance would be too controversial for BHVR to even consider.

Plus alternative escape routes could be just as damaging to teamwork as someone ducking out, getting tunnelled, etc, because if doing gens are still the primary objective, then you'd potentially have team mates neglecting gens in favour of something else. I dunno. They'd probably have to completely overhaul the game tbh.

• CatnipLove

I have no idea how they could implement anything without being able to differentiate between a survivor that lasted the longest because they played well and one who just hid and let everyone die. Once the hatch is closed, if the killer finds you, that's the end for the survivor. Even if they outplay the killer they will eventually die. I have no idea how BHVR could fix that.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 606

If this is true, then I guess I couldn't blame anybody. There's only one game type and I wouldn't exactly call it stellar at providing good times.

• sickdeathfiend
    sickdeathfiend Member Posts: 137

The game still has the fundamental problem of requiring teamwork and coordination to win with no way to communicate in the game.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,166

Other games has been a big part of that too. My free time is becoming a bit more limited and I have a big ol backlog of games I'm going through as I have money now but less time :D

I also think you're onto something that getting a good match seems harder and harder. I find that most of my matches now involve someone getting stomped. Sometimes I am the stomper as I'm playing against (or with as a Solo Queue player) barely sentient potatoes or I am playing against (or with) God's Gift to Gaming Kind and the opponent puts up the fight of a dead hamster. While the "Win or Lose by the Skin of my Teeth" games do happen, they're the exception now rather than the rule.

I imagine I'll always play DBD in some form until it all goes belly up but there are so many damn good games out there to play and so little time...

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

Hopefully they're taking this criticism to heart, the game has a lot of issues and people are making valid points. I'd add to it but mostly everything people mentioned in this thread I've witnessed as well.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

So much this. In TCM there is an in game chat, it's nice, I wouldn't mind this in game. Also you can VC, which I dare not do. Last time I did I got hit on by a bunch of people and it was creepy, but just saying, it's an option...

• 0mikeya0
    0mikeya0 Member Posts: 220

I haven't played dbd in many months until just recently and its honestly disappointing tbh. It was definitely better back then. The in-game community vibe was even different (if you know what I'm saying). I am a survivor main, so this may be slightly bias, but it seems they killed some perks. Dead Hard imo was fine the way it was before. It was able to be countered before and now its just dry. Honestly, now that it's SUPER balanced, the game is bland and it needs some serious seasoning. I also really do not like the new wiggle mechanic. When they let us try it, I hated it and stuck to using my analog stick and now I guess I'm forced to use that mechanic. **Nobody has to agree with my opinion**

• FlameGNG
    FlameGNG Member Posts: 746

I can partly agree on that but i think the way they are nerfing survivors only really affect soloQ survivors. I mean if i play with friends i win more matches than i lose. So taking away those perks that are cheap but can make up for a mistake is a bad way when the nerfs need to affect people with communication. I mean people playing soloQ will ALWAYS be less efficient and make more mistakes.

I think a good approach would be to minimize the difference between soloQ and SWF and then balance the game from that

• FlameGNG

Yea i've taken breaks since 2017 but i always have that feeling that makes me go back but i just dont get that recently. I used to play it a lot and ive ALWAYS had fun playing it every now and then. Now i dont even have fun when i play a few matches a day (even if i win or not)

• FlameGNG

EXACTLY!!!! this is what I mean I don't have a problem winning when I'm playing with friends ITS ONLY SOLOQ. When they nerf perks like deadhard that makes up for mistakes it affects soloQ way more because a team with 4 randoms are ALWAYS less efficient and makes more mistakes than a SWF. They take the big hit while SWFs gets a tiny slap on the wrist