The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Do you agree with Otz's Problematic Perks List?

Comments

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,075

abusing? the pig jigsaw always worked like this. my impression on this list is a large list of perks that player dislike losing towards. i do not agree with most the perks but i do agree that a lot of those perks represent lingering issues.

Buckle up is slugging problem with killer. Boil over and power struggle would show up way higher on list if they had higher numbers. the issue is that slugging is survivor sided mechanic where the killer low probability to bleed people out because it is only timer based. you get way too many lives towards slugging right now. putting survivors into dying state and keeping survivors in dying state should be rewarding but it is not. I said once an idea that would improve this that when a survivor goes from dying state to healthy state either by healing or perks that pick them up, they lose 10-15% of max bleed out regression bleed out bar. this would puts some limits on that FTP+Buckle up problem because killer needs counter-play towards that. second chances are part of the game but slugging too many second chances.

UB, Knock out and Hex:Third seal is another issue in the game which is textbook swf vs soloq problems. soloq relies on aura perks to make smart plays due to lack of voice com. many people play the game casually so I don't think adding voice is good and I think dbd is fine without voice. it just needs some teammate aura for survivor to do their basic teamwork actions. Blindness disables these aura actions and it is not a good interaction. it is like starting a match of soccer where you start the match as 1-0 for you. a way to keep Blindness relevant as status effect is to just make it only work on disabling killer's aura perks. The only aspect is that dev are scared to implement perks like Wiretap because people complain about the whole wallhacks removing mindgames. the player then feel the need to run blindness out of necessity. the second part of the problem is strange problem. it is little bit like Lightborn and Flashlights.

stbfl+rapid brutaltiy are perks to turn killer into baby bubba's and huntresses. I think issue that people are talking about is tunneling more so then the perks. survivors dislike the killer defending hooks and they dislike part of the game design of killer of killer going after 1 person till they die. I don't think there is any clear answer this problem because the game by nature is designed to be survival game. you could try to make it a team-survivor game like devour hope where when killer get 5 hooks, you get instant mori'd. the hooks and slugging are interesting takes on team survival vs solo survival. it is just both of these mechanics are not fully expressed in the game and it is an interesting question if there should be multiple lose conditions for survivor. 3 gens is another loss condition... but 60 minute games are not exactly fun.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I think it's strange to have Made For This far up the list, but not have Alien Instinct or Coup De Grace anywhere near it. They give the killer hits they otherwise wouldn't have got and can be a complete surprise at first. Even when you realize a killer has it, it's still very difficult to adjust your looping to those perks.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

So another nerf to pig? Like she is that strong killer...

• GensByDaylight
    GensByDaylight Member Posts: 528
    edited October 2023

Mostly...

I believe Boil over and Knock Out should be in Very Unhealthy, or a whole seperate tier. They have absoultely no actual purpose escept basically harassment or an adept.

Pentimento being on this list is uhhh... interesting?

I think streetwise is fine.

Made for this I actually don't think is unhealthy, just unbalanced. It honestly doesn't belong on every single complaint list.

• WilliamSN
    WilliamSN Member Posts: 524

Pentimento - requires a secondary hex perk to work like plaything, or a survivor doing a totem challange to even start activating, then can be countered just by cleaning out the totems again - fine as is.

Buckle up - Did not need the 10s of endurance, a proper "buff" would have been keeping the 10% haste and giving 1-2 seconds of endurance to protect the pickup if the killer swung right away. a guaranteed free escape in endgame thanks to BU is fundamentally unhealthy.

STBFL - Perk requires M1s only, takes time to build up stacks, stacks can be lost if you M1 the obession , only rework it could use is making it so M2s on the obsession also consumed tokens. otherwise, its fine as is.

Adrenaline - much like otz said, adren working off the hook and giving a speedboost + free healthstate is ridiculous. perk needs to be reworked to only activate IF you're the one to finish the last gen AND cannot trigger off the hook. having your last chase be essentially reset because adren goes brrr is fundamentally unhealthy.

MFT - Has been discussed before, but to keep it simple, 20-30% chase extension just for holding W + the free 10s endurance on any heal is fundamentally unhealthy, perk should have never made it past the brainstorm stage.

Knockout - only purpose is to literally slug, perk could be deleted and nothing of value would be lost.

Deliverance - Encourages tunneling, and punishes the killer for *not tunneling* by deleting pressure for free. Perk needs to be reworked to work the other way around, if the killer tunnels the person you just unhooked then you get deliverance. until then, its unhealthy.

NWO - Only issue is the 1v1, otherwise its fine.

Power struggle , forced hesitation , boil over, pain res, UW, FTD,Coulrophobia and rancor are fine as is.

Hope - allowing survivors to be as fast or almost as fast as the killer will never be balanced, perk needs to have a time limit. unhealthy.

Streetwise - Stacks on itself, allows a Wirespool+Socket commodius to crank out 60~/90 charges off a gen in roughly 30 seconds, stacks with itself for even bigger benefits. Pureform genslam perk. extremely unhealthy.

Hyperfocus - fine as is, only problematic when paired with other genslam perks.

OTR - Much like otz mentioned, 80s is way too long, allows the unhooker to bodyblock for essentially free, which defeats its purpose of "anti tunneling", allows the survivor to interact with killer powers without losing the endurance. Any anti-tunneling perk that can be used offensively to punish the killer for *not tunneling* is fundamentally unhealthy.

Noed + insidious - unhealthy.

Shattered hope should be basekit.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

Yours and Otz's rundown of why Streetwise is unhealthy only proves that toolboxes are unhealthy, not Streetwise.

Look at the best case scenario for using Streetwise with literally any other item. It's very clearly not unhealthy in any of those, just when it's used with toolboxes.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,044

To an extend, yes. Dont agree with some points on the list at all and some I would rank differently (e.g. I would rank Boil Over at the highest Tier, because you almost never see this Perk in a regular Build, only in Builds of people who want to keep running somewhere where you cannot really hook them instead of doing normal gameplay).

Funny thing is - since this video is up I saw way more Pentimentos than before. So yeah, thanks for that Otz...

And I totally agree on Pentimento, it is a stupid Perk. You waste so much time with it, not only have you a 30% Debuff, but cleansing Totems also takes time. And it is a Perk which impacts SoloQ more than SWF. Especially because you can have teammates who just cleanse Dull Totems... I went against a Wraith yesterday, they had Pentimento, Haunted Grounds, Undying and Devour Hope. After cleansing 3 Totems (Haunted Ground twice and Devour Hope) they only had Pentimento left. Yet a Kate on my team cleansed the remaining two Dull Totems, so that we had to do 5 Pentimentos in total...

And of course the point of Otz stays - Survivors should not be punished for doing side Objectives. I dont cleanse Dull Totems anyway, because you cannot afford it nowadays, but Pentimento is another reason to not cleanse Dull Totems.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

It's entirely reasonable to expect survivors to remember the Hex totems they themselves have personally cleansed.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,884
    edited October 2023

Regarding Pentimento, I feel Otz explained his point of view quite well, and when you watch him often, the typical trend of perks he doesn't like is perks whose very existence and threat strongly influences player decision making.

I think what Otz is driving at is the perk is very strong when active, and punishes survivors for doing totems as side objectives, which is not a false statement. Pentimento does have an effect that is very strong when its live, and that strength always has to be factored in vs. other hex perks.

Before CoH was a strong boon, so disabling hexes with boons was common and obviously didn't help Pentimento, but now no-one really bothers with boons, so if you want a hex gone, you usually have to cleanse.

This translates in higher levels of play to people understanding cleansing for Pentimento is not a good idea, as it has a potent effect the killer can then defend, so you basically ignore majority of hexes cause the gen/healing slowdown from Pentimento is more dangerous than most other hexes, with the exception of Devour Hope, so survivors just don't bother so they don't have to deal with Pentimento.

This means the perk has value, even when not in play, which is something Otz tends to be quite critical of. Survivors affected by Hex:Ruin or Hex: Plaything will not bother with totems because of the possibility of Pentimento, so the killer can ignore defending them and gets more value off these hex perks than they otherwise would, just because Pentimento exists..

That said I'm not sure Pentimento is such a huge problem myself for organised teams... though it is a little rougher on more casual and solo teams. However I'd be more on favour of making boons better instead of gutting Pentimento

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 542

I believe you mean Rapid Brutality and Coup. The thing about those perks is that they don't give aura reading or gen-regression - RB even comes with a notable and permanent downside.

MFT is also an Endurance perk besides being a chase perk. It's two meta perks in one.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,524

Hell no!

Most of his arguments in this video are so arbitrary. Like killers with M2 powers being able to save their stacks on STBFL. Really? What's the problem with that? These killers won't use STBFL anyway because they have a power that allows them to get easier hits. Bringing STBFL into the equation would afford them to play M1 killer way more often, which means they would commit to a weaker play style. The point about end game camping is somewhat understandable but his suggestion would only reverse the problem. Either the survivors can guarantee an escape or the killer can guarantee a kill. There is no in-between.

NWO is not a problem for the 1v1. Yes, the survivor is basically screwed in that situation but how is that a bad thing? The killer already won TWICE before that. First they got 3 kills, then they found the hatch first. Does the last survivor really need a second chance to their second chance? Also, considering that the killer could just slug for the 4k, which would work without NWO too and is less engaging for the survivor, I really don't see this as an issue.

Boil Over in my opinion also isn't problematic anymore. It's a bit annoying to play against at times but the real issue is that there are still hook dead zones on some maps. If they didn't exist, then Boil Over wouldn't hurt as much.

Pentimento being a problematic perk is a stretch. How hard is it to remember the spot where you just got rid of a totem?

OTR is also completely fine. 80 seconds is a long time but an anti-tunnel perk should be strong enough to actually warrant a perk slot. DS does that against 50% of the killers in this game. The others don't care because they can instantly down you again. So you could make an argument that DS belongs in the "Kinda Weird" category.

NOED is kinda dumb honestly but his suggestion to fix it is just weird. Make NOED relocate to another totem when the killer hooks close to it and be done with it.

At this point I give up on defending UW. Just nerf it already. A handful of killers are extremely oppressive with it but since we aren't going to address the actual problem, we can just as well repeat the whole Awakened Awareness situation again. Plus, it counters Windows of Crutch and we can't have that.

• WilliamSN

Yes... thats why i called it a pure gen slam perk...

Why would you waste a *perk slot* to give your flashlight an extra second when an addon alone gives you 6 seconds.

The "teammates within 8 meters also benefit..." indicates the intended use is WITH toolboxes, because theres no realistic scenario in which people are going to double blind or double medkit heal together.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

My point is, rework toolboxes and Streetwise stops being unhealthy. Same for the other item perks, like Built To Last.

There's no point in changing Streetwise when it ranges from borderline useless to just okay in all scenarios except one. Additionally, the scenario in question is already unhealthy without Streetwise in play. Given those two things, it's a little silly to call the perk unhealthy, don't you think?

• BlueRose
    BlueRose Member Posts: 658
    edited October 2023

So I haven't watched all the video(mostly bc I haven't had time to watch 40-minute videos since FF14 just had a major patch lol) but I watch Otz pretty much all the time I know why he thinks these perks are unhealthy. The main one I want to touch on is Pentimento. So I start off by saying I understand his reasoning why he thinks Pentimento is really unhealthy since it does suck for survivors to be punished for doing side objectives but here is the thing for me, when did survivors ever do bones to begin with? I remember before Pentimento came out, survivors complained about how they didnt want to do bones to counter NOED and acted like they didnt want to do that side objective. Even if they nerf Pentimento and killers stop using it I dont think this mindset will change. Survivors will just continue to hold m1 on gens and the only way a killer can make suvrivors do bones is to bring Hexs.

I also add that I really dont like he didnt even offer up an idea of how to make Pentimento healthy. Like if you think it is so unhealthy then how would you change it without competely gutting it? The one thing about dbd and its devs that gets under my skin is whenever something is unhealthy they tend to competely gut it and make it completely useless. I give two examples: Erupition and SM. though I do agree that Erupition needed its rework/nerf since 25 incap was dumb but the Erupition we have now I find is competely useless and too weak to even run. Most of the time when I'm using Eruption and kick gen it usually gets finished before I even get a down and even if it doesnt get finished it gets finished as soon as I get close to it again after I hook a survivor. Plus the Aura reading is such useless info that by the time you get it, it is gone by the time I hook the person I down, and even then if I hear a person scream I already know someone was touching that gen I kicked and dont really need that aura reading. I just find Eruption not worth running and it just joins all the other bad killer perks. As for SM, again I agree she needed her upcoming rework and her 3 gen need to die but as we saw in the PTB she has now been made to be so weak, I would say she going to be weaker than Trapper if they dont make changes from the PTB. Once again another case where something unhealthy gets changed but not for the better it just gets worse in a different way(aka becoming competely useless or super weak). I feel the same would happen to Pentimento if the devs decided to change it.

Overall though I do understand Otz's reasoning for not liking Pentimento but I dont think it's all big of a deal since survivors barely ever do bones in the first place unless there is a hex they need to cleanse. Even if they change Pentimento I dont know how they would without competely making it useless and the devs doesnt have a good track record with these types of changes, to begin with. Would been nice to at least hear some idea from Otz in this video about how he would change it. This is honestly the first list/video by Otz I mostly disagree with him on also. ALOT of the perks he listed are not as unhealthy by themselves.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

not particularly.

some I do agree. like nwo deactivating when you close the hatch. it's overkill for the 1v1, let's just not have it. and adrenaline healing you on hook... it's dumb.

while I do think pentimento is very strong, it won't do ######### most matches unless you bring another hex perk that will require cleansing. that's 2 perk slots, it's ok to be strong.

ftp and buckle up is funny in solo but too strong in swf so... yeah.

stbfl is fine. always has been. same for deliverance, just because of the variance on how it sometimes does jack #########.

not going over everything... you get the idea.

• ironligma
    ironligma Member Posts: 119

Pentimento is outlandish to me. I have to say I disagree with a large part of the list. I don't see much of a problem with stbfl although I understand how it's a good perk, but not overpowered. Things like forced hesitation are also strange to me as I really don't see it being that problematic. Deli is another questionable one, I don't think its that problematic and meanwhile rancor exists

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,339

Forced Hestitation procs on survivors who were recently unhooked and lasts as long as the endurance. Very nasty if the survivor was hooked in the basement and the killer downs the unhooker.

Though you honestly never see killers who basement camp run Forced Hesitation and with the upcoming mid-chapter, survivors don't need to rescue a survivor who is being camped.

• Fuzzycube
    Fuzzycube Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2023

Mostly, I'd add WIndows of Oppertunity which has consistently been the most used perk in the entire game for a long time, even when Dead Hard was in it's pre-nerf state, I think it should go back to having a cool-down but survivors seem to take having passive perfect knowledge of loops (With zero cooldown) for granted now.

Also Resilience shouldn't have a vault speed bonus, don't think survivors should get a vault speed bonus in general and the perk already does a lot of other things already.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,566

Agreed on both. Survivors don't need a buff to vault speeds, that's what the whole slow/medium/fast vault distinctions are for.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,566

Adrenaline is an unhealthy perk that enables genrushing. The delayed heal is nonsense that deserves to be removed. I'd love to remove the heal from injured to healthy entirely so that survivors can't just crank out gens to negate the pressure that's supposed to stop them from cranking out gens.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685

Genrushing needs a change. Not adrenaline. The perk is fine it rewards you for getting to the endgame. It only activates one time and it does nothing if you die before. Plus noed and terminus counter it already. If it activated after every gen was completed then yeah i would agree but the one we have now? Absolutely not. Again make genrush less potent like a corrupt and a smaller dead lock basekit instead of nerfing a perk. Making adrenaline useless doesnt solve the problem but just leads to killer player’s complaining about the next perk that they lose to.

for example if the devs nerfed deadlock because facecamping with it along with noed is too strong then that doesnt solve the issue.

also nerf toolboxes too and just make them speed up gens that were damaged (kicked or regressed by jolt or pain res)

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    edited October 2023

Then when one survivor dies, PR loses all tokens as well.

So this perk won't be backup for tunneller killers, if you want to get full value, go for different survivors.

Are you support that or you just care about killer exp only?

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

If playing killer is meaning bad side, then i am bad side as well.

Nice assume tho.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

I like Otz quite a bit but this list is nonsense.

You deserve every upvote you get for this one.

Seems streaming Killer mains are losing it left and right. I can walk away from playing Killer but for these folks, it’s their job. If Otz switched to Survivor (especially with increasing queue times) or another game he would almost certainly lose a significant chunk of viewers.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270
    edited October 2023

Ah yes an abuse that killed one little game pig mains use to be able to play because of an add on that is really bad and encouraged said abuse because otherwise it's a useless waste of bloodpoints on the blood web

Legit as a person who played pig i would rather have had the tape removed/completely changed because hatting someone and playing 50/50 with them was a fun side game that could be easily worked around via the hatch and having the traps be used on everyone on the get go is extremely bad unless played with 50/50 in mind

Which imo only one survivor should be subject to the 50/50 game not all 4

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

Looks like devs did not agree with you.

And fun is very subjective.

Next.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,044

Fun thing to say when fast vaults feel like medium vaults.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,963

He forgot Dark Theory

the perk that made him lose his mind when it was on PTB

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270
    edited October 2023

And the iri tape is ######### and people did have fun playing 50/50 before this abomination of a add on existed as it could be countered easily with the hatch

Also funny how you use bhvr as the people to dictate fun when they added the ######### skull merchant which prior to the rework was a extremely boring killer that dragged games to a ######### halt

Or how about the Hillbilly getting reworked and killed most of the fun stuff when no one asked for it

Or how about them reworking Freddy and made him boring

Or how about the fact they removed bbq stacks

Or how about how busted coh was at launch which literally made playing m1 killers not being able to use a hit and run strategy

Or how about og mettle of man

Or how about how ugly borg is with the confusing scorched parts looking like scratch marks with them not removing said scorched parts with the rework

Also let's not mention the horrible implementation of mmr which basically requires you to go with a 3-4 player swf as the random teammates you usually get are awful a majority of the time and the game expects you to carry them

They done some good but I refuse to call the pig trap change a good thing as it's a nerf brought on because of a ######### add on

Post edited by Majin151 on
  • Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

Haven't seen pig for months so if that bug makes more people play her I don't complain.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662
    edited October 2023

Thanks for the correction and yea you make good points. Can be easy to forget sometimes that killers have 4 vs 16 survivor perk slots. The 4 killer perk slots are much more important for killers and so replacing a slowdown perk should be meaningful.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,131

This list is hot garbage good lord.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,231

It's not hard to remember where pallets in the area are before you drop one. I would hope that most people are capable of making a mental note of this. I don't think nerfing windows will really change much. People are just going to throw the pallet and then run to another strong pallet nearby. Either that or just hold W to the other side of the map while they wait for the cooldown to go away. I do use windows and I am fine when I am hit with blindness. I don't just suddenly forget how to play the game because I can't see exactly where every pallet is. The main strength of windows to me is that it enables me to not start a chase in a dead zone where my solo teammates used all of the pallets. I don't think a nerf is necessary but I also don't really care since I don't believe nerfing it will achieve what people think it will. M1 killers will still suck and good survivors will still be good.

• WilliamSN

How about instead of commenting *that* you post something constructive.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,075
    edited October 2023

UW+Face the darkness pig is a buff to pig jigsaw. otz did say that pig is C-tier killer. perhaps you do not agree for how pig should be strong. I find it funny because it is like real jigsaw. 1 down/reverse bear trap = 1 kill. I suspect that your disagreeing for how pig's mori should work because you think it is interactive/low counter-play.

• CodeDB
    CodeDB Member Posts: 272

I feel like nearly everyone here is missing the forest for the trees. Otz isn't saying this is a list of perks that are poorly balanced or ruining the metagame, he is saying that, in his opinion, their core function/ability leads to less fun games.

Take his top choice, Hex: Pentimento, for example. Under his (and my) assumption, survivors should have a secondary objective or something else they can do to help them with a match that isn't just sitting on a gen. This will not only allow for a bit of slowdown from "gen rush" from the killer's perspective but can do so in a way that allows for survivor interaction which allows more diversity in gameplay and feels less like the game is arbitrarily slowing you down with no input on the survivor side.

For a while, totems were kind of that secondary objective in regular gameplay. Cleansing them could clear hexes (obviously) but also prevent something like NOED, give stacks of Inner Healing, but also just give a bit of a BP score. So, at worst, you were trading a bit of your time for a few extra bloodpoints and one less spot to check for NOED.

After Pentimento was introduced, cleansing a totem became an actively bad thing to do. Survivors have no way of knowing if Pentimento is there (until a totem has been cleansed) so the best course of action is to completely ignore them and not to bring perks that encourage cleansing (as a single heal or a slightly faster gen speed increase for a single survivor is not generally worth it for a universal slowdown that can be defended once activated). Without this side objective, it leads to more time just cranking out gens.

Add on top of that the tome challenges that often specifically require cleansing totems and now you have an issue where solo queue can feel even more miserable because you can't coordinate expectations of your intentions in the match. Now, the Leon who normally was just wasting time with his side quest is now actively harming the team.

This is also consistent with his complaints for other survivor perks like Deliverance then. If the killers main goal is to sacrifice survivors, spreading hooks between survivors can be seen as a "secondary objective". Spreading hooks can lead to additional slowdown (as it occupies a survivor with rescuing/healing) as well as make for easier options on who to chase when it comes to the end game (as you may have multiple people on death hook) and either way, gives some bloodpoints. It's obviously arguable how efficient this "secondary objective" is and not the point of my argument but having it is as an option is a good thing in Otz's opinion (as well as my own). Deliverance then can actively punish a killer for pursuing this secondary objective. That additional slowdown I mentioned as a small bonus for spreading hooks is completely eradicated if it procs Deliverance as no one needs to get off their gen to go for the rescue.

In both these scenarios then you can see how doing the secondary objective is actively punishing because of the mechanics of these perks. Killers should want survivors to spend time clearing totems and survivors should want killers to spread hooks but these perks are a hindrance to that.

You can agree or disagree with this sentiment, but if y'all are going to deride someone so bad, at least address what is actually being said instead of whatever you presupposed the argument was going to be based on a thumbnail without actually viewing it yourself.

• BlueRose

I personally understand his reasoning but here is why I disagree with him, at least when it comes to Pentimento. I personally never have seen survivors want to do bones as a secondary objective even before Pentimento was added to the game. I still remember reading posts from survivors asking for a NOED nerfs bc they didnt want to do bones to counter it. Most survivors still rather bring a medkit over inner healing since it doesnt take a perk slot and it's still faster to heal with one since with Inner Healing you still have to find a totem, cleanse it, and then sit in a locker. The only time I have seen survivors get excited or want to touch bones was when boons were added to the game and CoH was so strong. So even if they did change Pentimento today I dont think anything would change. Survivors would continue to not touch dull totems and just continue to hold m1 on gens unless there is some hex they need to get rid of like Devolt Hope. The reality is that survivors rather have a more interactive secondary objective than just holding m1 on an object. Pent never changed that mindset to begin with and that's why I dont think it's all that big of a deal and why I disagree with Otz's opinion on it though I do understand where he coming from.

• CodeDB

And thats good! I see your perspective and understand. Totems, especially once at a high level of play, really are inconsequential and I 100% agree. But that's why I think they should do more with totems to make survivors want to actively cleanse them. Make totems have a generic slowdown effect in a radius around them, allow killers to "activate" totems to give them a speed boost in a radius around the totem (with caveats around hooked survivors), I'm even not opposed to making something like the NOED speed boost basekit where the killer gets additional power for each totem still standing during end game. All of these would, of course, require game balancing changes but the point is I want to encourage more interactions and choices when it comes to totems to try to make them an actual secondary objective.

A perk like Pentimento though runs contrary to my ideal improvements though. Any perk brought by the survivor/killer shouldn't actively punish the secondary objective, in my opinion. If totems aren't meant to be the secondary objective for survivors, fine, Pentimento can remain where it is as its interaction with things like Plaything or Devour Hope are an interesting dilemma for survivors to work around. It just means that survivors will continue to have no secondary objective (boring for the survivor and even more gen focus from the killer) and tome challenges will continue to have huge swings in the solo queue experience.

• BlueRose
    edited October 2023

So I competely agree with you on all those points. If Devs one day say "We want totems to be a more interactive part of the game" and do some of the ideas you listed then I will be all for changing/rework Pentimento. I also love to see that happen but the reality is devs haven't shown any interest in doing that and till that day comes I think Pentimento needs to stay the way it is. That is one of my issues with Otz's video on Pentimento, he did not say anything about making Survivor want to do totems. He talked like at one time survivors wanted to do bones all the time and now Pentimento is in the game it punishes that when there was never a time in DbD history(as far I know since I started playing when Nemmy was added) where survivors actively did bones. Either way, I do completely agree with you and wish the devs did make totems more part of the game and if that ever happens then I will be all for changing Pent.

• CodeDB

Makes sense. Looking back and re-watching, I can see Otz focused more on the punishment of cleansing totems aspect instead of what "healthy" changes should be encouraged to move away from something like Pentimento. I didn't interpret his video as meaning anything about how these perks are used currently in real world examples and why they need nerfs but more the implications of having them and what the concept of the perk means for strategies and the trickle down effect they have on the gameplay experience.

Either way, I appreciate the insight and thoughtful response! Can be a rare experience around here some days.

• totallynotamegmain
    totallynotamegmain Member Posts: 661

This thread seems to be getting pretty heated

I for one suggest we all take a break and go play some TF2 ☕️

This discussion has been closed.