Just feeling really pathetic right now :(

Options
Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,287

Over 3000 hours in this game and still have games where I barely get 1 hook in the endgame. Seriously just gives me the worst feeling I've ever had in video games.

Doesn't matter what map I'm on or what perks I bring or what killer I play, I still have games where I just can't do anything against the survivors, and it feels like I've just wasted all these hours and have nothing to show for it.

Comments

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

Thanks, and I know in a few hours I'll have forgotten about it. Just feels bad when you put so much time into something and can still get stomped so badly.

• daddyo
    daddyo Member Posts: 48
    Options

Dbd is all about RNG. Sometimes it's in your favor, sometimes it's not. Don't get me wrong: there's always something you can do to improve and something you did poorly. Ironing out those mistakes will make your games more consistent but it also doesn't change the fact that some games are lost on load in because either side gets a god tier set up (map, tiles, gen placement, # of pallets) and unless the matchmaking is extraordinarily bad (where the side that didn't get the favorable RNG is just THAT much better than the other side) you usually can't make up for it.

Anyway, if you're struggling I'd suggest either recording your games or just taking a few minutes after each one to think about mistakes you might've made. Playing hardball with survivors isn't a bad thing: in fact, it's mostly necessary. Slugging someone for pressure instead of hooking them can be the difference between a 4k and the last gen getting done, as can only taking favorable chases (i.e don't go to main building or shack in your first chase if the survivor seems decent) or tunneling someone out.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,241
    Options

Everyone has bad games sometimes. I have more than 9k chainsaw hits with Hillbilly and I there are still games where I can barely hit someone running in a straight line.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I think it was just a bad game/day. It happens in every game tbh, even if you've played it a thousand or more times. Somethings just don't work out on that day for some reason even though they're as easy as breathing by now. Brain is weird like that.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675
    Options

Probably just a bad day. I have had games against comp teams and even if I have not won I still manage several hooks. For me even if I get my ass beat I manage at least say 3 hooks even if its just survivors playing stupid because im losing. My advice would be practice against some bots or take a break and return then practice to get back into the swing.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,070
    edited October 2023
    Options

sometimes the opponent is just in your head, sometimes it's the other way around. i've had games like you've described and followed them up with games where i won every single mindgame, went to all the right gens with my Pop, and got a 12 hook victory with 4 gens left. i've had games where i got mindgamed and went down in 30 seconds, and then the next game I loop a killer for 4 gens on 2 tiles. it's not a lack of skill, just an unfortunate artifact of psychology

doesn't make it feel any less terrible when it happens, though :(

Post edited by ratcoffee on
  • Amshnock
    Amshnock Member Posts: 51
    Options

I do think each killer has a MMR not based around one. I have oni lvl 2 and I always let them go after we max points. with oni its always new players so I take it easy so they can learn. I get the most BP and XP doing the.

Now my bubba its almost always 60s to 100 lvl. Ghostface same. pig same just got her.

I just got blight and my first ever match was with two lvl 100s and the lowest was i think 40. so far every match with blight is high lvl. never won a mach with him yet. and maybe only 2 hook kills.

now when I play survivor soloq im always stuck new ppl. hide in lockers play hatch get down 10sec in chase kill them self on hook. I may have been match with a lvl 40 or higher maybe 10 times playing. I use to win a few games with good killers lvl 14 or so. but now its no lvl killers mopping the floor with me. In the past few weeks i maybe got out the gate 4 times. most times im the last survivor left done most of the gens while they play hide in the corner . If i do get seen I can lose him by the time im the last one left with no hooks I get the beat down and left to bleed out the rest of the match.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
    edited October 2023
    Options

Absolutely comedic people are blaming RNG. Killer is very rough right now. It is so true when you say you had the worst feeling in video games. If you lose badly (or at all tbh) Survivors 9/10 will draw it out and antagonize you. You are supposed to be Michael Myers (or insert other iconic killer) and instead are treated like a joke with very little recourse.

• poinepp
    poinepp Member Posts: 119
    Options

i know it's easy to say don't beat yourself up for that but seriously don't i have had such miserable games and still having from time to time it's not that you are bad there are many factors why games went in a certein way.. you win some you lose some i always repeat that to myself it kinda relieves my frastruation in those cases

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,084
    Options

Yeah I have games like that too and have 3600 hours. I would think I gotten good with that amount of time but nope. But you know what is satisfying winning that type of game I had 1 hook before endgame and I was able to 4K with noed.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,232
    Options

I have 3000 hours in the game and hardly ever escape as a survivor main. Survivors have just as many if not more bad games as killers do. The problem is the game changes too quickly as it progresses. If a survivor is eliminated early, the shift in motivation to keep trying changes dramatically. Seeing 5 gens up and only 3 survivors left is one of the biggest deterrents for survivors to keep trying in my opinion. The situation is now that much harder for the same outcome if you do manage to escape.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,521
    Options

Yes... cause RNG is still a thing

RNG is what makes the Maps what they are... Loops, Totems, Gens, Spawns

RNG is what causes Corrupt to not block three Gens that are far enough away

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

RNG is a thing.

If i as killer get an early down and the rescue and hook cycle going it can completely ruin the team and they never get into the game.

If the first surv is a loop god i usually lose.

I am no good looper but sometimes even i get lucky and are just these little bits away from getting hit. More often i go down pretty quick. Then it depends how good the team is.

This game has this fine line - really equal skilled games are pretty rare for me.

As one said, often it is stomp or getting stomped.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    edited October 2023
    Options

Except that a lot of the time it is RNG? I mean some map/killer/tile spawn combos are just handing you a loss. That's just how it is and has always been. Probably always will be. That's just DBD: a unbalanced and often random mess that min many cases has very little real skill requisites. You might be on a great run and then just get absolutely shat on like 2-3 times in a row.

I mean how many games have you had where you matched up against some poor noobs in another MMR shart and just ground them into dust in like 5 minutes? How do you think that felt for them? Do recognize that knife cuts both ways?

The combination of nonexistent map balance, useless SBMM (because you can't quantify skill in this game), and plain old RNG BS pretty much guarantees you're gonna have an uneven experience.

Regardless of your role, unless you do nothing but play DBD and/or with a skilled team, it's just going to be a cycle of owning and getting owned. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail. You have to be willing to be humbled from time to time and just move on and not dwell on it.

And I disagree about killer being so rough. I've been playing for years, and I don't think it's that bad. If pressed, I'd say right before 6.1.0 was the worst time to be a killer (though I wasn't around at the very beginning, and I understand that was worse).

I think some people who play killer are just looking for a power trip experience, honestly (I would say the same thing about people who only play in 4 man SWF).

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    edited October 2023
    Options

Been playing since 2018 and this is easily the least enjoyable it has ever been. I uninstalled. Any game that screws you outright with RNG isn’t worth my time.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    Options

Honest question; do you think it's really worse, or that you just cumulatively had enough of it and something just happened recently that was the straw that broke the camel's back?

I've been playing since 2019, and feel like I've been getting screwed by RNG the whole time. I've just realized how much I've been getting screwed more as time has gone on. But at no time has the game been fair and balanced.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 323
    Options

Practice the main loop :

1. Fast first hook (try your best)
    2. Proxy camp and wait for the rescuer
    3. Chase the rescuer , this forces the 3rd survivor to get off the gen
    4. Down the chaser and repeat

After a few hooks go for whoever is on the death hook and remove them from the game. Repeat the process but now nobody can be on the gens when 1 is on hook , 2nd rescues, 3rd is running from you.

Gens still go too fast but this is the standard method. Survivors can push this if they are patient and do not rescue right away. But then you can camp a bit to trigger 2nd stage on the hook to punish them before chasing the rescuer.

• khrisfromtoronto
    khrisfromtoronto Member Posts: 45
    Options

Trust me I get it. Playing killer is probably the most unfun thing one can possibly do right now. They don't seem to care because if they do anything to make killers stronger, every single entitled whiny survivor comes out of the wood work and complains until Behaviour ultimately gives in to them. It happens over and over again. Maybe when nobody wants to play killer and the queues are so long, they'll just make it so the killers are all bots and no real people anymore.

• woundcowboy
    Options

The game has never been perfect, but slow down perks used to exist and there wasn’t MMR before, so games were more manageable. Now if I want to win, I have to choose a side of the map to defend and tunnel someone out ASAP. Add to that nerfs to my mains that make them unfun to play, and that makes the game no fun. It’s sad because this game had potential.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 390
    Options

Almost everything you wrote is wrong. Skill level definitely matters more than anything in DBD. If you see what's going to happen before it happens, you can almost always counterplay it.

Yes, matchmaking needs an overhaul, but for high skill level killers, it just means 95% of your games are against potatoes so you're not really ready for the rare game where the survivors are actually competent.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Don't even worry, it's just called Rough matches.

It's happening in every pvp online game. Lol, Dota 2, CS, (everything).

When I was playing dota 2 ranked, I've got the guy who had 12k hours alone on steam (I've no idea how much hours he got before Dota 2), and sorry to this guy, he was terrible at least in this match. He literally played, like he just only got the game a week ago.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

If the killer's skill is high, a survivor with the corresponding skill will be matched. Therefore, there is no reason why a killer can easily overrun a survivor.

If you enjoy being both a survivor and a killer, it won't be that difficult to become equally good at both.

On top of that, I often memorize the names of the survivors I'm matched with, who are my equals as survivors, but when faced with them as killers, there's often nothing I can do. Of course, they are all solo survivors, not SWF. If I use a nurse, I have a slight advantage, but they also know how to chase nurses, so it's not easy. Above all, there is no waste in the rescue process, and the onhook trade is perfect when necessary.

I have many opportunities to play with them, so I can read what they want to do, but for me, as an M1 killer, they still have an advantage. This is my actual experience of what happens when you compare not the standard of a lazy survivor, but the standard of a survivor who can finish a job and the killer level of a counter-attacker.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

You didn't go out of your way to antagonise anyone, and in response you got a constructive and supportive thread. I wish more people would take this approach when venting their feelings about the game. It would make the forums a much nicer place to visit.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

Its relative though, how many games of 1 hook do you have vs how many games of 3-4k?

If the 1 hook games bum you out then learn what you can from them and focus on the wins instead.

Yeah I'll say this though the game experience definitely went downhill with "skill" based match making. Couple it with the gutting of strong tools used to fight teams on comms and the relative win/loss ratio may bork up and down a bit.

• Hunkulese
    Options

That's wrong though. The game is killer-sided and matchmaking doesn't really work at all. You see competent survivor teams maybe a few times a week. Even playing a low-tier M1 like Myers or Trapper, you can still regularly crank out 20-game win streaks if you're playing to win.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,741
    Options

Thats why i quit being a killer main.

Try survivor, even SoloQ is a lot more fun, less stressing and you have the freedom to play around with perks as you like.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

sometimes suvs are just that good keep on practicing and you will end up crushing them

• bazarama
    bazarama Member Posts: 210
    Options

I learned that not caring about winning works for me.

More fun getting hooks than going for a win.

Zero k or four k it really doesn't mean a lot at the end of the day.

Sweat it and lose that's not fun. Chill and lose who cares?

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

I'm having the same feeling these days nearing 2,5K. But sometimes it's an easy 3-4K. MMR is just crazy.

• OneAutmLeaf
    OneAutmLeaf Member Posts: 102
    Options

Thats so fundamentally untrue its not even funny dude, I get swfs and sweat teams daily about 1/3 of my games are either a SWF, P100 squad or just sweaty players, when it comes to high level games it is not killer sided in the slightest.

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 422
    Options

The thing is: which killer you are playing? The killer REALLY matters: if you playing a ranged killer, a M1 killer, a tierS or a tier C killer, this one matters the most.

Then, we need to see HOW you are playing: if you are playing a M1 killer, you are breaking EVERY PALLET THEY DROP? Thats not good;

playing a M2 killer: you are using his/hers power effectively? If you don't, you need to pratice a little more to get used to it.

Playing a trap-setup killer (Hag, Trapper, Skull Merchant) ? You need to setup first before starting your chases.

Anyway, give this info then we can help you better

• woundcowboy
    Options

I play survivor but find it incredibly dull and repetitive.

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 227
    Options

I hear you. I've gone from one game on Nemesis with survivors running around like scared chickens, to one where I literally never downed anyone. I try to rationalize it as being the tradeoff for occasionally having games where the survivors fall apart quickly. I don't know if that helps, though.

Despite the fact that we have "Skill-based matchmaking" it feels kind of loose. However, I do think this is preferable to hard SBMM. Destiny 2 added strict SBMM to PVP last year, and the player base for PVP basically imploded. It didn't even last a few months before Bungie (the developer) loosened it up.

• Hunkulese
    edited October 2023
    Options

Don't mean to be mean, but you're not a high-skilled killer then. If you're a good killer player and you're trying to win, you can easily win 90% of your games with any killer.

P100 is pretty meaningless at this point and there are very very few top level SWFs who are actually sweating. Most SWFs are just hanging out.

Post edited by Hunkulese on