Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Just an Event, Why Complain About Balance?

please stop being competitive its just an halloween event that last for few weeks

Comments

• MikeStev
    MikeStev Member Posts: 384

Remember the old dbd event, Halloween-Winter-Anniversary-Lunar only give bloodpoints bonus and skins it so boring.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,232

I've barely got to touch the event, but it seems so weird. There are no visual cues for when Survivors have Haste or Endurance effects. You'd think they'd glow blue to match the event, or maybe my game is bugged and just doesn't show the effects when graphics are on max. Heck, the freaking event Blight Serum has better telegraphs, how did they not learn?!?! I swung 2-3s after a DH read, and the Surv still had Endurance, and I didn't realize it was because of the event. It is super frustrating as Killer to not know why things happen, and this event cranks that to 11.

At the very least have an in-game tutorial, not a bland text screen that doesn't even give numbers. "The Haste effect for improved movement speed" How friggin' much, and for how long?!?! "The Endurance status effect to withstand being downed" Again, for how freaking long?!?! This numerical info NEEDS to be in there if they want to pretend they are explaining the mechanics, otherwise its a joke. You are inflicted with the blindness status effect as Killer while in the Void, but it doesn't tell you that, and it doesn't make the hooks particularly visible unless you've played before and know the locations. I walked past 3 without knowing until I found one I already walked by. This is just the worst possible learning experience, and it appears to be designed to be as frustratingly confusing as possible through the (what appears to be intentional) obfuscation of the mechanics.

I'm sure when I've played it for a week or so I'll get the hang of it, but the introduction is horrendously bad. Just explain things, please. The wall of texts with bad scroll bars in-game explain nothing of importance, so I don't know why they even bothered to write up a worthless novel. NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS! They wasted time on a tome cinematic showcasing the garbage skins, but they needed a tutorial cinematic in-game when first going to the Haunted By Daylight tabs, and a button to view it again if you clicked through in queue or just too quickly not expecting a cinematic tutorial.

The original Snowman event was simple and fun, and different Killers could use their power to bypass the extra hit the snowman could provide, allowing for interesting mechanical interactions. This event disables all powers in the void, but doesn't even speed you up as slower Killers like Nurse (which it gave me a daily for). So you can't blink as Nurse, and you can't move 4.6. Why? I was at Bloodlust 2, and the Survivors were still faster than me in the void. It is so poorly implemented and so poorly explained.

• BooomTetris
    BooomTetris Member Posts: 58

Just an Event....well, try to play Oni or Plague. The survs can just wait in the other realm until the power timer is over.

If someone maining on of these, they simply can't play them because of some ugly skins

• BooomTetris
    BooomTetris Member Posts: 58

The whole point of different Killer are the different powers. No one should be forced to play a bottleless Clown because of an event, even if the void closes after 2 minutes. And btw, there are loops inside.

There is no reason not to put the ghosts on the normal map. The other realm is cool the first two maybe three times

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,722

I'll take an unbalanced fun event to shake things up, but that doesn't mean people should shouldn't talk about how it could be a balanced fun event.

My issue with the balance discussion is it usually takes weeks to get an idea on the balance of gameplay elements for certain, by that point the event will be over.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

One of the windows is a god loop for sure, you have to entity block it. The rest are pretty terrible though for sure.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,173

I feel they deserve praise for bringing something fresh and different to the table. There are certain things that do happen which hinder killers more (as someone said earlier, avoid Plague-like powers by jumping into the void until it burns out), but the concept opens up fresh possibilities which people ought to be hopeful for in future games:

For example, this could be a tester for new game modes. Also, as a power, The Old Man SCP killer would greatly benefit from this (were one to be made).

Personally, they've made a fun Halloween Event, which I feel will be a benchmark for future events, new game mode odeas and even stretching a few power ideas into the mix.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896

Because the event actually gives stuff. One survivor could just spend ~30 seconds in the void and release 2-3 haunts that give haste outside of the void. Not to mention they will walk outside the void with endurance and haste for basically 20 seconds. Meanwhile killers get a much less impactful undetectable and haste.

• BlueRose
    BlueRose Member Posts: 658

This is the best explanation of the new event and it's problems I have seen so far. As Malkhrim said there needs to be some degree of balance so both sides can have fun while doing event stuff. Right now it's honestly only fun for survivors and queue times can show that. I had a 10 min queue time as survivor last night while killer was near instant. I can only assume the event has something to do with this since doing the event is much easier and fun for a survivor than a killer. As killer the only way to do the event without feeling like you throwing is to kill two survivors as fast as possible so you can have the time to do all the stuff, this of course leads to survivors not having fun either.

Is it a cool event? Yes but it's not a balance one in terms of fun.

• kurtisrun
    kurtisrun Member Posts: 11

I complain about the killers who tunnel every match - so disgusting and unnecessary. Then they proxy camp so that another survivor goes down while unhooking and then the one off the hook is tunnelled yet again. It is such a shameful behavior and I wish behavior would make BT last much longer and have additional endurance if the survivor that was unhooked survivor is only being chased again. Even at 5 gens killers tunnel and how does anyone expect to enjoy the game with this behavior .

• Foempticol
    Foempticol Member Posts: 232

A lot of sweaty killers tunneling and camping at 4 gens, it's not fun.

• PotatoPotahto
    PotatoPotahto Member Posts: 250

Survivor's way of progressing the event objective: smash gens

Killer's way of progressing the event objective: get hooks

That's, like, the intended gameplay of the event: your usual sweaty gameplay

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2023

I see we're sweating buckets for the next 2 weeks.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,064

So true! Long matches with lots of BP. I'm fine losing if we are having fun and both sides get to explore / visit the Void regularly.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,896
  • Melinko
    Melinko Member Posts: 291

This and all of this.

When you go into a match and everyone has their 100% increase thing and people just kick pumpkins and gather stuff and activate ghost, the match is entertaining and everyone leaves with a huge BP gain.

Then you get the other side of that, where you go to transfer energey and the killer runs up and downs you and does the no head shake, and they just go super hard trying to get that first 4k.

The competitive side should be off during the event, but for some killers this is their one chance.

• Melinko

Except you can progress it with the objects on the map as well, but sure killer needs hooks and survivors need gens. Neither side should be "racing" to get either as the quicker the match ends, the less void time and the less BPs.

It's just the in-ability of a portion of this community to turn off the uber competitive I gotta win mindset.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

You can be competive with A tier killers as long you have good pc that actually more important than what killer you play to some extent. Console nurse/blight is gonna suck compared to sweaty pc huntress. Now tell me who is actually trolling.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

This is the problem with there only being one game mode with everything shoved into it. For the events you have everyone on one queue - those that want to play extra sweaty, those that want to play normal, and those that want to mess around with the event. Most events also have added bonus of event BP being tied to objectives which pushes for matches to become more sweaty - survivors only (or mostly) get BP from finishing gens so they focus more on gens, killers then feel like they need to sweat to get their event BP from hooks and secure kills, and it turns into vicious circle.

They should make a separate mode for the event where they can design it to not be a sweat fest. Those that want to mess around with event go to the event queue, those that want sweaty or normal DBD experience go to the normal DBD queue.

• Melinko

You get more BPs for releasing the ghosts and the energy transfers than you do for gens/hooks.

There is other ways to get the energy (smash pumpkins, run around and interact with the floating orbs, once a ghost is summoned, interact with it.) but most people just hyper focus what they know. If people took time to learn about the event and messed around in the void, it would benefit everyone.

As for the sweat fest, I have to say my experience during the event is that it has been all killer side being annoying. I've played Several different killers and once the survivors realize I'm going to the void, and not pressuring hooks, the gens have slowed as they too want to complete objectives and score big in the void. When I try to play chill on survivor side, every other match is a killer that's playing like they need a 4k to survive.

• PotatoPotahto
    PotatoPotahto Member Posts: 250

Whoever goes for extra objects, loses. That sends the community the message on how the event is meant to be played and it's completely on the devs.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674

I've sometimes run into the void realm as survivor, to pick up the endurance status, so I can bodyblock the killer. It's ok for survivors to do the event if they have a plan to use the endurance before it runs out.

I've also run into the void realm as survivor if I'm being chased, to try the "hide behind the portal I just went through, wait for the killer to enter the void realm, and secretly use the poral again to exit the void realm" trick. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a free escape.