The community is VERY solid and affectionated, how do we make Meet Your Maker grow?

Options
Leonardo1ita
Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,192
edited September 2023 in General Discussion

The Meet Your Maker community, on Twitch and on the 2 Discords, is VERY affectionated, solid, warming, full of ideas and different types of maps. Despite being 2 different roles such as raider and builder, there isn't such "rivalry" as there is in Dead by Daylight, because someone is ± forced or incentivised to raid or build at some point to earn Synthite, Parts, and Cells (at the beginning).

On Twitch almost the same people always met, so on Discord, how do we make it grow?

Marketing apart, I think that for the game itself we need more possibilities (angles variety) and map capacity to make impossible bases for those who want a really tough challenge, and a new difficulty system for new players, like the one coming.

What about the community itself, what can we do? I think even small discussions on YouTube or other channels keep the flow of the game going, but I have another idea:

On Twitch, we try to organise is a way that there is always at least 1 streamer streaming in English Meet Your Maker on Twitch at all times of the day (raiding the other one substituting the role) , maybe even 1 on YouTube ( but I don't think it's necessary). That streamer needs to have the chat open to all possible people.

That would keep a ± passive and active content watchable for the game for new players, bases to make raid on social for veterans, and the chance to interact with someone at all times!

Comments

• WeaverReaver42
    WeaverReaver42 Member Posts: 210
    Options

While twitch is a good start, youtube is also a good place to post videos (much like otzdarva does rarely). The more content is made for the game, the more people will be aware of the content that can be created from the game. People want to create, we just have to show them this is a place that will let them do that. Behavior keeps us updated on what's happening in the game, now we need to update the internet on how excited we are for it. Hype begets hype, after all.

• MythicMikeneto
    MythicMikeneto Member Posts: 69
    edited November 2023
    Options

I think creating positive new player experience focused content is the next step to growing the player base/community of MYM.

Many builder become very focised on kills and even defend it with things like 'git gud'; in truth I have had many statements from players leaving or that have left MYM pointing to the fact the 'tryhard' builder is what killed it for them.

The dynamic dofficulty system has gone into directly combat min/maxing in normals, but the result has swept nearly everything into brutals (and to a lesser degree, dangerous). This should present to builders as an obvious health check of what content difficulty is for new players.

The game cannot be expected to maintain new players when there isnt content geared toward their skill level. We (as builders) cannot expect a new player to come in and be as good as somebody who has been here since release (or before) and expecting them to die repeatedly to figure it out is not usually rewarding or enjoyable to them.

It is time for those with the skills and drive to build 'tutorial' or mostly harmless, sustainable, Normal builds for new players to enjoy to build up their skill in the game.

I know its incredibly difficult to shakenoff the 'must kill' mentality as a builder. Lets face it tho, kills from buildkng never has (and likely never will) effectively maintain your outposts. If you want more raids, we need more players. If we want more players, they need enjoyable content for their skill level.

Feel free to ping/DM me in the community discord and I will be happy to share what I have learned about building sustainable normals for new players. Its not for everybody but it can still be very rewarding in a differnt way than just 'getting kills'.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,663
    Options

Agreed. I've been making an effort to build more dangerous/normal difficulty maps. I genuinely don't care if those outposts get kills or not. Frankly, I'd prefer they didn't get too many kills so they remain normal. It does take real effort to have capacity and not use it though.

• Leonardo1ita
    Options

Problem @MythicMikeneto : want builders to build more Ingenious traps that actually work consistently, and raiders to face them?

Solution (bitter solution): remove, on both sides, all the OP stuff, especially Arc Barrier + Nautilius' suit's perks, Phoenix Pods, and the broken Enhancements.

Without that, are builders incentivised to build very creative and complicated traps, if raiders can just press a button and be completely invincible for 3,5 seconds with a perfect Arc Barrier parry + gadgets + 3 Enhancements?

On the raider side, imo, it's becoming so so boring for Normal and Dangerous: I can beat almost any Dangerous map with Arc Barrier + the 2 Nautilius perks and the Harvey path perk; because I can just go forward autopilot, press m2 if I'm EVER in danger to die (almost never), and slow down in case of a piston or something.

The only fun maps are the Brutals, which are NOT rewarded equally, because defeating a Brutal takes A LOT longer than Dangerous outposts/Expeditions. Most Dangerous I can beat in around 1 minute/1,5, and mostly feel all the same.

Raiding is not fun, because you just know that if you speedrun, even with no Spike Drive, shields, or perks, or enhancements, you will likely not die.

• MythicMikeneto
    MythicMikeneto Member Posts: 69
    Options

We are of different minds on the subject and I respect your perceived raiding skill.

I really don't like brutals myself because of all the sweaty tryhard builder stuff and the total time sink to beat them.

Personally, I am no good at speed running. It's very stressful (and not fun) to me as I like to play this game to chill.

I've heard the 'the game isnt hard enough' frequently, but only from a few select raiders, usually the really good ones. The desire for 'harder' content is separate and different from builders being more welcoming to new players. They cant realistically expect a new player to be as good as them (or any other experienced raider) from the get go, or even in the long run.

Forcing everyone into harder game content will only serve to cut down the player base from all the poeple who dont like really hard stuff. This is evident each time anew exploit drops or the next big meta surfaces. Player get sick of it and just walk away cuz it's hard.

I'll be honest, take away my bird boxes and I will jump back down to nornals and never look back. Having to start completly over feels like a huge waste of time to me. The builder got their kill, let me save time and complete the outpost so I can get on to the next.

Expecting me to run an outpost again and again and again, taking more and more time each death, because I make one tiny slip up is (IMO) madness and very not fun. This is why I usually abandon after the 3rd death.

If it was 3 fast deaths, the rest of the level is likely worse and I dont care to devote the time needed to beat it.

If each life is getting longer and longer and I am not showing real progess or have any idea how much longer the outpost is gonna take, pull that rip cord. I can just go to the next outpost andnhope I get something I like more.

Essentially the builder is against raider skil (or lack of skill), time spent to raid, and raider perception of if their time is worth raiding the build. If the builder doesnt care about raider time or raider skill level, the raider probably has no reason to care if they complete the outpost or not.

Builders cant force anyone to give them kills, they can only force raiders not to play their outposts; and do they really want less raids?

• eyedeeoneohtee
    eyedeeoneohtee Member Posts: 34
    Options

I thought I was building tutorial outposts but apparently three guards, two corrosive cubes and one boltshot is enough to push an outpost into dangerous now. New players deserve some credit, most of them have played a first person shooter before, they already know what the left mouse button does, and they can figure out the rest pretty quickly even if they die a few times along the way. If the developers want OSHA-compliant outposts for players who haven't played a first person shooter before then they should build them and put them in a dedicated tutorial expedition.

• Leonardo1ita
    Options

You @MythicMikeneto are quite right actually, and I completely understand the feeling of having to restart and all the things you said.

A middle field needs to be found absolutely in my opinion, where all players get what they want ±, both casual players and competitive players that want the game to be harder.

I think then that the game should be split to comfort the needs to everyone ±, so have a casual mode with the current Expeditions, but also a competitive mode, where your rank actually matters, and kills matter.

Also the difficulty system definitely needs an improvement.

But, dude, speedrunning really ruins the game for everyone, Spike Drive + Arc Barrier with Nautilus' perk + Harvey path perk is...is just INSANE, something needs to be done!

It kills the motivation of doing and creating any map, from small short but cute Normal maps, to long Normal maps (if they somehow are counted as Normals). At least in my opinion.

Phoenix Pod in casual mode is completely fine, because the builder still gets 1 kill (which is enough) after you did you very Ingenious trap, with all the very little resources you can use before the map goes "Dangerous".

(Which don't feel Dangerous at all, at least most of them. The term is not truthful.)

But Arc Barrier just denies any possible kill, and ruins the game in my opinion: both Casual and Competitive modes.

Another amazing option, in my opinion, would be to allow the possibility to place a "checkpoint" on the map on the Builder side, maybe with a reward for doing so. Just in the case the map is split in 2 sections.

Currently speedrunning creates too many problems in my opinion, on all sides. Players who like doing maps slowly without dying like me get belittled, because.... why would I go slow if I can just speedrun everything?

There needs a solution that satisfies everyone, in my opinion.

Like with the game Geometry Dash: you can choose the difficulty you want. But in the difficult Demon levels, you don't suddenly have an easy way to beat them easy pz.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,663
    Options

I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOA7vq2BVI

This is a rather ingenious way to advertise the game. Pay YouTubers with lots of followers to make some videos of the game! Probably one of the most cost effective ways to reach your target audience. More of this please.