Hiding usernames brings toxicity

Options

Hello,

What I am going to write isn't something new.

When I launch a game and wait in the lobby, and a survivor with only his/her character's name is popping, there are 85% chances they will dc mid game

Do you guys get this too ? Or when they don't dc they throw the game

Of course you can leave lobbies when this happens, but i would be lobbies dodging more than actually playing the games

And same goes for the killers, I swear I got the nastiest killers when they hide their username (some of them asking us to unalive ourself), I don't record my sessions nor do I report via the ingame option, for your information

It's like people on social medias, trashtalking behind a screen makes them 1000% meaner. Being anonymous sets them "free".

I know it's a game but still, daddies need to chill

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the feature implement to preventing streamsniping or harassment ?

I would like BHVR to add an option, like when a killer tags and his/her username is hidden, you have the opportunity to leave the lobby

Other than that, I really enjoy the game though

Luv ya

Comments

• MarylinMonhoe
    MarylinMonhoe Member Posts: 108
    Options

Well, you can do the exact same thing without this mode.

i just don’t see what good/different it brings

You can also go private on your steam profile or forbids comments from people not in your contacts list.

Yes the endgame chat bothers sometimes because it is usually not a friendly chat (even if nobody was toxic, I guess some people just like to rant).

I won’t turn it off though, I play a multiplayer game, I like the small talks with strangers.

And yes, when I got a BM killer I just move on right away.

• mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options

Yeah, it is very common to see them throwing the entire game or being toxic without provocation.

Just turn your Steam profile comments off. It's really not a big deal and no one cares about what people are commenting.

• MarylinMonhoe
    Options

Well I’ve seen more toxic people hiding their usernames than people actually protected by it

• MarylinMonhoe
    Options

The DBD community is no different than any other pvp game

If you win against the machine, well no harm done

But if you lose against a real person, some people will go frenzy and take it as a personal attack and will feel the urge to assert dominance

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 617
    Options

The thing is, you have no idea if people are actually protected by it, because you don't see it. The whole point of anonymous mode is that it keeps the toxicity in-game where it's easier to report and deal with (or it would if you actually used the report feature).

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 468
    Options

Yeah anon killers are usually toxic or at least play the easiest ways to dominate. On survior i dont even see that much more DCing as anon than non-anons. Anon is always more opportunity for toxics to hide themselfes against getting flamed than people who need their privacy to play. that will never change.

• mikewelk
    Options

Your Steam profile comments being private does not make your whole Steam account private, people can still see all your stuff, just can't comment. I don't want EVERYTHING to be private, never said so. That's why it doesn't make sense.

If you don't want to be stalked, just make your account private. What's a gamer tag going to give the apparent 'stalkers'?

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,738
    Options

I have had it all before this came, i was a killer main and you wont believe the lenghts some people will go to annoy you when they loose.

Again, it dosnt make any sense that you have to make anything outside the game private, instead of the game whose community is notorious for toxicity, having the option to be private.

• mikewelk
    Options

I was a iri one Trapper main for most of my time playing killer. Had messages from randoms off and comments on my profile off. Nothing happened, just the usual endgame chat nonsense when I was playing as fairly as possible anyway. There's nothing more they can do than that unless your social media name is the exact same but that is silly. If they friend request you, just block them.

Most multiplayer games are toxic and yet they don't have an anonymous mode, just a effective reporting system.

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,461
    Options

Anytime I don't use anonymous mode I get homophobic comments in either pre or post-game chat. I don't want to change my Steam profile or name because I like the way it is and I'm not going to censor myself or identity because of some bigots. I also share a server with the RU region and needless to say they always go out of their way to target me during or after the game. I don't play any other game that reveals my profile or name so I don't have to deal with this. So to prevent this I use the tools available to me which is to use anonymous mode.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,672
    Options

There's a PRE GAME chat? I play on Nintendo Switch so I don't have any chat. Can you chat just survivors to survivors? Can you pre game chat with the killer?

• RoastedGarlic
    RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 532
    Options

I used to think DBD was really toxic, but playing ranked mode in mortal kombat has made me realize it isn't that bad. All the toxcity is in the end game chat and you can't ignore it.

meanwhile I queue up for ranked in mortal kombat you're immediately hurled with slurs and such the entire time you're playing over voice chat. everything you see in dbd end game constantly the entire set. I really hope dbd never adds voice chat because if it does it is going to be just as bad as mortal kombat is.

I'm not trying to downplay the toxicity in dbd, just hope we never get voice chat or it will be infinitely worse.

• Unknown2765
    Options
  • CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,672
    Options

That's so cool! So you can tell people if you want to all stack bloody Partystreamers and ask about loadouts?

• Unknown2765
    Options

yeah, but most join the lobby with a plan already, ect. rn i need to cleanse 20 totems, and i run a build for that.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,284
    Options

You can, though 99% of games is just silence or people saying glhf. And even if you do tell your teammates you are using Deliverance, you likely have a console player who can't see it and PC players who are afk and don't see it.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,284
    Options

As for the topic, hiding your username is important to avoid harassment, and this game has a LOT of toxic players who actively stalk you after a game to hurl abuse at you, so it's something that's needed. Before starting DBD I never encountered people who go to such great lengths to make sure you know they hate you, it's weird.

• mikewelk
    Options

Oh lord you're going to hate the Nintendo Switch DBD even more now lmao. Console players don't have it either so I guess it's not that bad. I guess.