Best Killer for skill expression?

Options

Who do you think is the best Killer for expressing your skill at Killer gameplay?

I would argue someone like Skull Merchant is not. Placing drones does not take much effort and the multiple effects granted are basically handed to you, enhancing basic Killer gameplay with little effort, which can feel frustrating to face.

Blight (besides add-ons) seems like a big one. If you can master every map and every blighted rush, he’s nearly unstoppable.

What other Killers are great for showing off skill expression and why?

Comments

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

He was another I was thinking of.

Thing is, whenever I try to take some time to learn him, the Initial clunkiness and lack of agency with his power via EMP’s makes it very difficult to get my foot through the door.

He’s clearly a Killer with a lot to learn, almost like Nurse or Blight, but the reward seems lesser, so I think that turns people off.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 527
    edited December 2023
    Options

Clown

Predicting how will a survivor move with purples is one thing. Foreseeing how will you react to that with a yellow and guessing the target's reaction two steps ahead with another purple is truly next level stuff.

(but I'm a biased Clown main)

• Avo
    Avo Member Posts: 190
    Options

Nurse, because I am bad at playing killer

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,412
    Options

huntress

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

Outside the fact that I'm sucker for pain, imo I have to say Singularity, mainly because Hux's reward is hardest to reap with how easily it's power is countered. Granted Slipstream is it's chase power, but outside of chase it can provide passive slow down since survivor's will do there best to prevent themselves from being Slipstreamed because Hux is a aggressive killer.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,360
    Options

Deathslinger

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Pyramid head and ghost face.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

Billy is in an awful state, if you haven’t already been playing with him I would steer clear. Singu should be avoided as well, the amount of effort required to use his power at a basic level is off the charts for it’s minimal return.

I agree with the other 3.

Huntress in particular. A really good Huntress can scare even the best Survivors. That said she is slated for some changes and that has me concerned given BHVRs track record of “fixing” Killers who don’t need it like Billy.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,067
    Options

I'm afraid her arm is going to overheat or something. There are so many other killers worth addressing instead of Huntress.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    Options

Billy Blight Artist Singularity

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

Singularity has been said a bunch and I agree but I'll also throw Xeno in there, hitting flick shots and through narrow spaces feels so good when you get good at it.

• ProfessorDunwich
    Options

Makes a lot of sense them doing that. They have stuck with Billy’s Overheat despite it being a debacle.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options

In order: Blight, wesker, huntress, oni, billy.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,318
    Options

Nah, singularity takes too much for the reward it gives, better invest in a killer were your skill WILL be rewarded, something like blight, wesker, oni.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,067
    Options

If you can see 90% survivor and 10% tree leaf, you have 0% power. It's awesome.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,865
    Options

another skull merchant post. it gets old. find something new.

BVHR picks winner and losers for killer. they work on what killer they want to work on.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,074
    Options

Huntresses are one of the thing that I feared.

• ProfessorDunwich
    Options
  • PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 157
    Options

I've been playing since 2017 and had a period of trying to 'master' every killer that was at least somewhat good. In my opinion, the killer with the most skill expression by a mile is Blight; to this day, I still find it difficult to pull off the hardest techs.

The rest of the 'skill expression' killers aren't anywhere near Blight levels. However, I would rate them something like: Blight, Pyramid Head, Nurse, Wesker, Huntress, Oni, Chucky, Deathslinger.

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,015
    edited December 2023
    Options

Not about SM, but I used her as a glaring example of a Killer that doesn’t allow for a lot of skill expression.

The most you can get out of her is drone placements and when to withdraw and place them, when to adjust rotation (which is mostly not necessary outside of unique scenarios).

I actually really like her and enjoy her more simple gameplay, I just don’t often praise her here because most people DO NOT tolerate her at all, even the mere mention, diminishing her to dull/snore merchant (gets annoying real fast).

I just don’t think her skill expression matches that of Huntress or Blight, for example.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

Pig...

Putting a Trap on a Survivor means that you have to win at a chase

Getting all 4 out means that you've won 4 chases (hopefully on each Survivor)

Timing is also needed... the Time crunch is real... and know who's on which hook state

While keeping an eye on Gens and their progress

• o7o
    o7o Member Posts: 332
    Options

Blight, Pyramid Head, Artist

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

I’m going to say Billy is the best killer for this. My goodness the amount of things you can do to outplay survivors with him is through the roof. It takes so much time to learn. I’m so bad with him but I respect the really good ones out there.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,334
    Options

Singularity, Blight and Billy.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

It's a tie for me between Huntress and Billy

• Neprašheart
    Neprašheart Member Posts: 426
    edited December 2023
    Options

Spirit; Without add-ons, without having to maximize your volume to hear moaning survivors.

As for why.. Because her recharge time takes fifteen seconds, and therefore one little mistake's gonna cost you ~5% of a generator(s), not to mention the fact that she's ~110%, and nowadays gives away directional phase cues.

Survivors do receive little informations about you, but so do you.. And here I have thought, the killer is supposed to be the power role.

Side note: Being half-deaf makes the game nearly impossible without perks like Stridor.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the killer doesn't match your skill; It's the perks and add-ons you're using that do match it.

If you do require generator regression perks, tunnel one survivor, or rely on slugging strategies to have a chance of taking two survivors out of every single match, you're not a good player.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,130
    Options

Huntress.

Specifically the orbital strike strategy where you instadown people from far away.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,111
    Options

It kinda depends on what you're measuring, because there are two separate questions you could ask here; "Which killer is best for showcasing your skill at the killer role", and "Which killer has the most unique and non-transferrable skill expression".

For the latter, most of the other answers here are probably fair game. I'd personally say it'd be something like Blight or Wesker, they both have a lot of different little things that can build to a fair amount of skill expression.

That, though, makes them worse candidates for answering the first question. For my money, the two big answers for the first question are Clown and Skull Merchant. Basic powers that have little mechanical skill expression, thus making them largely a showcase of how good your killer fundamentals are- things that some of the higher-tier killers can kinda get away with not knowing at all because the power of the kit they're using can make up for it.

Personally, I find the first question more interesting, too. Killer fundamentals are more entertaining for me as far as gameplay goes, though the occasional match of Wesker or Blight or now Chucky is nice for variety.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,368
    Options

To my mind, the Killer you can never be mad at catching you is Hillbilly. In good hands Hillbilly is the most exciting, fun and even scary killer to go against.

If Hillbilly got you, he was the better player. No ifs, ands or buts. I will always salute a skilled Hillbilly.

• ProHillbillyMain
    ProHillbillyMain Member Posts: 132
    Options

Very casual players will tell you Blight.

The answer is Hillbilly.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,254
    Options

blight, billy, sing, and nurse. I would say blight and billy from my personal xp

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,212
    Options

I hear Singularity demands a lot of skill, but I can't know for sure because I've never seen this killer.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,254
    Options

Ever since the overheat changes billy is honestly fine outside of a lot of his addons being just useless. His problem is 95% of maps are just super billyphobic now with almost random collision quality and the devs adding random props to tiles.

• HugTechLover
    Options

See a lot of Billy comments in here, I’m not great at Billy, don’t have hardly any hours in him. So I could be ignorant… But,

While yes, he takes skill to play, and skill to curve efficiently. I don’t think his skill “expression” is anything crazy. Literally every. Single. Tile. Is played the same way. Helicopter Billy around while feathering the saw, trying to catch the survivor in the curve path.

Every p100 Billy I’ve faced has done exactly the same thing at every loop. They were phenomenal at Billy, I just don’t think playing each loop the exact same way is “skill expression”. The curve is so predictable, and has too much counterplay.

• TheGoodGuy
    TheGoodGuy Member Posts: 50
    Options

Plague.

Im not sure why nobody else said Plague, I watch a lot of Plague footage and everyone treats Plague and plays her differently, very expressive Killer. Some Plagues find little spit spots the same way Deathslinger find tiny shot-holes. Some Plagues master the art of shooting up in the sky to make it rain perfectly on a survivor over a wall. Plagues that just infect the loop vaguely in chase and play more hit n run until everyone is sick. Plagues that favor sickness, Plagues that favor corrupt. I never know what I’ll see when I watch Plague.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,322
    edited December 2023
    Options

Not quite true. Curve angles and timing vary from tile to tile. You also have to mind game and bait a lot to even get in a position where a successful curve would get you the hit. There is a bit more nuance to Billy than just walking towards a corner and doing a 90° flick. I agree though, that in terms of ounterplay he offers too much, for all the things that he needs to do before he even gets to curve and reacting to a curve by dodging one step to the side feels terrible to play against. Funnily enough, in the early days of DBD there was a bug where Billy still had his hitbox during the end of a chainsaw sprint animation. This allowed him to turn to the side quickly to get the hit anyway. Nowadays, that still happens every once in a blue moon but it's too inconsistent to be used effectively.

I do think that Blight overall has a higher skill ceiling (maybe Huntress too, I cannot really tell because I am not good with these ranged attacks and orbital hatchets are something I could never even begin to learn) because he has more possibilities to use his power. You can Hug Tech, use bump logic, mind game with his power and approach from more different angles because he gets hits where a Hillbilly can't.

But when it comes down to performing well, I think Billy is harder. Blight still has the advantage that he is so much stronger and less punishing, that you can easily get a hit here and there, while Billy players will struggle not to get spun. This might be part of the reason why he is considered this hard. I am not a cracked Blight main but even I can get some nice and juicy hits here and there, whereas I still sometimes get spun as Billy even after 800 hours on this killer.

• HugTechLover
    Options

Thank you for the insight. As I said, I am by no means a billy expert, I am ignorant to all the details of his curving. It’s only my observation that every billy (atleast the good ones) play the same way, or that each tile has to be played 1 of 2 ways. Either try and curve it, or bait the survivor into dropping the pallet and going to the next tile.

That is why I would place blight over Billy in terms of skill EXPRESSION. Take a simple car loop on autohaven. Billy can either curve it or just eat the pallet, in my experience. At my skill level as blight, I can use bump logic, I can hug tech it, I can moonrush it, I can double back moonrush it, I can bump logic into a slide, while ending any of those in a 90 or 180 flick.

I don’t discredit Billy at all. He takes a ton of skill to play, and I respect all Billy gamers who can curve. I really do wish he didn’t have as much counterplay when you’ve worked to that point. I always feel bad when a curve billy tries to work me for 10ish seconds, only to fly past me because I took a tiny step going wide.

I agree on huntress… those gamers hitting the orbitals are absolutely insane. I’ll never even attempt to learn that.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,322
    Options

It probably comes down to what we consider skill expression and also how much we take into consideration.

Blight can be played at an extemely high level and I am not even sure how exactly his moon rush works (although I've done it by accident before) but what I tried to explain was, that you don't necessarily need to know all of these and have them mastered to outperform a Hillbilly as Blight. For Billy to use his power effectively there are only so many possible ways to successfully play around each loop (although they vary from loop to loop depending on hitboxes and shapes). So you need to master these to perform really good.

I also forgot to mention that there is something very special that can be done with Hillbilly's LoPro Chains, which adds another layer of skill expression to him. I'm not sure, if it's wise to go into more detail here though because BHVR have a bit of a habit removing things from Billy's kit.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 2,983
    Options

Singularity and Huntress

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,399
    Options

For Singularity you listed off most of what is frustrating about him. To that I'd add 🎮🎮....

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,399
    Options

Exactly. The slightest twig or leaf or rat fart and nope.