If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Give me one tiny reason not to tunnel | Tunnel discussion

Options
fussy
fussy Member Posts: 1,127
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

Back in the days I was hardcore tunneler. I did it almost every game, from the first hook, because i cared only about winning. But last year or more i stopped, because:

1. It's boring as hell. Every game is the same, doesn't matter who you play as, every game is Groundhog Day. Yes, you won it, but it every match has the same scenario. If I had continued to play like this, I would have burned out and quit this game.
  2. I started enjoy chases instead of win. I started playing more SWF In those days, what gave me a greater understanding of how absurd repair speed can be. I can't do anything about game's design, then why should I worry about winning? I also became much better at chasing on many killers, which awakened in me an interest in winning chases instead of winning the match.
  3. It's pointless on killers without chase potential. Oh, so you went against good SWF on Pig, Freddy or GF? Poor boy. Antitunnel perks + second chance perks (4 dh and 4 ds in every lobby make it literally 4 health state on every survivor), comp predrop, friend's back on a way to gates. Gg ez noob killer

Now 80% of my games are just "i see you -> i chase you" style (depends on killer of course, some of them need to be more tactical), which most often end up with 6-9 hooks and 2-4 peoples in exit gates. And at some point i'm okay with it, because i chosed this way by myself. But you know what i hate the most about it?

1. Survivors don't respect it at all. Literally whole forum crying about tunneling, but what i see nearly in every 8-9 hooks game? Yeah, you are right, tbaging in the exit gates. Watching as braindead Meg or Lithe brain Kate tbaging me while in a chase she lasts no longer than 15-20 seconds makes me feel so stupid, because i was splitting pressure without any rewards for it and literally present her winning she didn't deserve at all. Especially knowing that if I had tunneled her on 5 gens, the game would have ended immediately for the whole team.
  2. Tunneling is only consistent way to win this game as a killer. I watch dbd content for 5-6 years and i still didn't see a single win streak, which is not based on tunneling. Current 1600 winstreak on Blight is not about Blight, it's about tunnel. Because he lost his streak several times due to "fair" gameplay against good survivors. Every tournament match is about who will tunnel faster vs who will hold m1 faster. Imagine, best Nurses and Blights NEED to tunnel to have a chance of winning against best survivors with perk and item limitations. It's absurd.
  3. I still punished with anti-tunnel perks only because survivors can weaponize them against me. In my opinion, we could have strong anti-tunnel perks only when tunneling won't be the only way to win this game as killer. Do i really forced to lose all pressure in match, which i created with fast chases, because someone feel himself so untouchable that tank multiple hits with OTR+DS+DH? And devs about to buff DS again, seriously? So i will be forced to tunnel every game, doesn't matter how much i want it?

I'm at point, where i I'm more confident than ever: killers need reason not to tunnel. And after that we can discuss buffing anti-tunnel. Maybe some Grim Embrace basekit, which will not activate if someone is already dead. Something, i don't know.

Comments

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

You can sweat all you want, noone really cares lol

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

"It's boring as hell" and "It's pointless on killers without chase potential"

as a fellow killer you explained it yourself

• AnxiousGummy
    AnxiousGummy Member Posts: 108
    Options

I am a survivor main but I completely agree with this statement. Tunneling a survivor out early in the match is objectively the most effective way to guarantee a win as killer. We also have to keep in mind that some killers tunnel not because they want to win, but because they just want to troll or "bully" survivors for whatever reason. At the end of the day, a killer who wants to tunnel, is going to do so regardless of any anti-tunnel mechanics the devs implement.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 527
    edited December 2023
    Options

My main reasons:

I like low-tier killers and I find gen-perks boring, so I use fun but not terribly impactful tools. If I want efficiency, I achieve it by how I play and not by packing strong powers.

I like this approach because this way I don't have to decide my threat-level before the trial. I can just adjust it on the fly based on how experienced and efficient are my opponents. I don't tunnel to win all my matches. I do it to make trials exciting that would be one-sided otherwise.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445
    Options

What if it didn't then?

What if dead survivors came back as ghosts with the ability to do all their normal things except exit gates at 50% efficiency. No collision and taking a hit will banish them for ~30s.

But to balance things out a bit, getting hooked inflicts one stack of "serious wound" that reduces repair speed by 10% which can stack.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,067
    Options

The game needs both. Spreading hooks needs to be more viable, and tunneling and camping much less viable.

• fussy
    Options

And what is wrong with giving killers another way to play efficient? If you want to play "most easiest" aka only available way to win (against good and efficient survivors), well, nothing will change for you and you won't get any buffs. But if you want split pressure instead, why not to encourage it?

• fussy
    Options

I swear i won't and let you go if you memeing with me in the end <3

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

I don't do it because I know how it feels like to be that survivor, you know? I hate when killers choose me to be eliminated as soon as possible, so I don't want to inflict that upon others.

Besides, I've always been a Freddy main. Tunneling with him in the early days was never a good idea because it completely messed up your map control. So there has never been a reason for me to tunnel.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options

Empathy? Can’t find this word in the Blighted dictionary….

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,361
    Options

It's a nice idea, but ultimately, that's almost an entirely new game.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,304
    Options

This.

Direct tunneling, especially at 5 or 4 gens left to do, just FEELS so bad. How could they realistically regulate an emotion like that? Without taking away more of what a killer can do? If you're only looking for efficiency then yeah tunneling is the way to go, with emotion taken completely out of it.

I will say those that only play as killer may have lost that empathy for the other role, or never had it to begin with. But those who play both sides and feel that tunnel several times may chose to look for another target sometimes, ignoring the efficient play on purpose.

In truth the only change to the game that'll matter regarding tunneling will come from players themselves. And not everyone has the same gaming heart as some do.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,304
    Options

😂🤣 This made me laugh wayyyyyyy more than it should have!

Ty.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 791
    edited December 2023
    Options

If you can only handle a 3v1, you are objectively not very good at the game.

I would be too embarrassed to tunnel.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • jokere98
    jokere98 Member Posts: 523
    Options

and then one survivor just go suicide, all others stealth and wait for that one survivor to inevitably finish gens

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

There are 2 more excellent reason why i would never tunnel:

1. Treating other people like you would like to be treaten. Nobody enjoys getting proxycamped and tunneled off the hook, so i dont do that. A mindblowing concept for some, i know. There is lack of empathy in those who dont care about other people, especially in a video game/internet. Here you can always see the true color of people. In RL they might be nice, but mainly because of consiquences. Be an ahole in a game wont have any consiquences at all so they can be as terrible as possible. "But other people genrush and tbag me all the time" does not excuse anything. It only makes the other side aweful aswell, but not you as a tunneling killer any better.
    2. GET GOOD. Yeah right, imagine the only reason you win as a killer is to tunnel and camp. I would not feel like a good player, i would rather feel like relying on cheap tricks. Top tier killer can easily win those games without playing in a discusting way, so why should you stop trying to reach that level? What means winning when abuse super easy tactics? "But they other side genrushs and blablabla..." does not justify that you wont try to get better and become a good killer at all. Excuses wont help either. Do or not do, there is no try. So just simply, get good.
  • FFirebrandd
    Options

How do you figure that would make it almost an entirely new game?

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,197
    Options

It hurts...

But I have to agree to some extend. However, I think tunneling could be disincentivised via punishment and reward together.

There should be any form of positive feedback for spreading pressure.

• radiantHero23
    Options
  • radiantHero23
    Options

Best incentive to not tunnel:

A new feng skin with this picture and a "pls don't tunnel me" on the back.

• Pulsar
    Options

You'd be completely redesigning the core game mechanics.

One of the big things in DBD is, well, Dead means dead.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,675
    Options

The only way to deal with this is aiming at the tally score

less bloodpoints

less xp

Yeah, players can tunnel and win, but at a cost of low income

thats the only way to "fix it"

• baharuto48
    baharuto48 Member Posts: 75
    Options

Most players I go against don't tunnel. But it is a pretty good strategy for winning. But winning raises MMR. Ultimately, the player will go AFK on weekday morning matches. I see a lot of that with Wraith and Cenobite. Even Mastermind. Artificially lowering your MMR like that is a workaround to have easy mode in the game. But these players come home probably from working all day and they feel like crap and they just want the high of winning in a match. Sometimes, the player just wants to lash out. Sometimes the player is just a child. Maybe later researchers might use the way people play this game as some kind of indicator as to how they were treated by their fathers. But they are just people playing this game and they bring whatever dysfunction they have with them. Matches are short. Play on.

• FFirebrandd
    Options

So... by not touching how any of the following work: movement, gens, getting hit, healing, windows, pallets, lockers, or saving, merely allowing Survivors to keep interacting with the game... that's somehow redesigning the core game mechanics?

No. No it's not. I'm changing exactly 1 mechanic and the way it currently works is terrible for both sides.

Would this change the meta? Absolutely it would and that's literally the point. We don't want killers tunneling, so let's reduce the reward for doing it, but increase the reward for those who aren't.

• emetSdidnothingwrong
    Options

For me it's about playing with your food. I do what I must to win, if that means camping and tunneling then so be it, but the moment that isn't required to win I will lay off the pressure and give chances to recover, but make no mistake this isn't about mercy it's about getting them to believe they can still win and to give it their all before that crushing defeat just seconds away from victory. In my opinion there is nothing more satisfying than this.

All that being said though in my experience hard core tunneling doesn't happen that often, and I do play survivor a lot these days. I honestly believe that most people on the forums crying about tunneling are people who just want to win and focus on a specific element of the game to blame when they lose, instead of looking at their own self. As for reasons to not tunnel, why not give them a BP bonus? All I ever read are forms of punishment but the stick loses it's value without the carrot.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 866
    edited December 2023
    Options

Survivors don't respect it at all.

Mostly true, from what I've found. I generally go out of my way not to camp or tunnel, and while I tend to get "gg"s and "ggwp"s and hits at the gate, teabagging or other BMing and various complaints still aren't at all uncommon, and the only actual "thank you"s I get are for giving hatch, which I do frequently.

As survivor, if I notice a good killer going out of their way to not camp or tunnel (i. e. they know how to most efficiently and consistently win and are good enough to do so but actively choose to play a more challenging and engaging match), I will tell them "ty for fairplay", or something along those lines.

While it can definitely be a bit eye-roll-inducing to see survivors gloat or complain about a match that you actively chose not to end prematurely by tunnelling at 5 gens, I have grown past caring about it much. I choose not to camp or tunnel because it is more fun for myself, I want to be engaged in actual, fair-and-square chaseplay and not stand around a hook or leave chases only to down someone again shortly after they have been unhooked. I do this for my own enjoyment, kills in and of themselves are inherently meaningless. Plus, insofar that I also do it for the survivors' enjoyment of the match, I know that they will have had a much more enjoyable experience than they would have had had I camped and tunnelled, so even if they may not appreciate it (be it due to not understanding that I went out of my way to play "nice" or otherwise), I will still have given them a better time. I don't need a "thank you" for that. A real hero of a killer, I know.

If you can't handle survivors teabagging and the like, and find it frustrating to see survivors gloat or complain, not understanding that you handed them a much more engaging match than you could have, of course, it is your prerogative to camp and tunnel with a vengeance. Or make a "naughty list" of sorts, and camp and tunnel whenever you meet one of those players again.

Tunneling is only consistent way to win this game as a killer.

Lots to disagree with in this section. First of all, given the matchmaking in this game, it is entirely possible for any good killer player to win the vast majority of their matches without tunnelling (and camping, slugging), and pretty handedly at that. There is an endless amount of evidence for this, ranging from literal experiments in which players have set out to play killer without the use of these strategies (and without the use of a killer ability...) and still decisively winning more than 90% of their matches, to just countless streamers that rarely have anyone escape despite not regularly tunnelling hard.

While the Blight streak you are referring to still has a whole lot to do with Blight as well, ridiculous killer win streaks only go to show that matchmaking is a mess and tunnelling a severe balance issue (although not every streak is about hard-tunnelling, at all: if you actually look at the streaks you will find that it is actually fairly rare for the first 3 hook stages to be on the same survivor). Streaks like that are completely inconceivable in any even only remotely balanced competitive multiplayer game. Not even the best StarCraft players in the world (that are hundreds if not thousands of times better at SC than the best DbD players are at DbD) can post streaks like that in regular matchmaking. Hell, 70-80% winrates are already nigh unheard-of in that game, yet in DbD any even only just semi-competent killer can get them. Once you reach a certain threshold of skill and experience and game understanding on the killer side, DbD's matchmaking will consistently fail to be able to give you competitive opponents. And this is particularly true if you camp and tunnel, let alone if you also use a strong killer and loadout. And part of the reason for this is that in order for survivors to be able to compete with a killer like that, they actually all need to be comparably as skilled, experienced and knowledgable, try as hard and use as strong loadouts. Any weak link or lack of being comparably armed and ready can spell a loss. The only matches where it will regularly even get close to challenging are SWFs, because they more regularly fulfil the competitive premise set out here. I would go even further and say that the game skews fairly notably toward being killer-sided if the survivors have no voice communications and loadout coordination. It depends on the map, killer and loadouts in play of course, but in general I hold this to be true. It is painfully obviously true in public matches where you have wild mismatches in levels of skill, experience, knowledge, trying to win, loadouts and the like between random survivors of a group. Any competent killer can capitalize on these disparities and win pretty handedly pretty consistently.

Tournaments are not at all all about "who can tunnel the fastest", then we would expect the best 1v1 players to consistently win in the 4v1 setting as well, but that is far from true. It is a huge misconception in general that tournament DbD doesn't have macrogame depth, as if on the macroside everything would just be "rush gens, die edge map; tunnel survivor, camp hook". There is a world more that goes into proper strategic decision-making and though chase skills are obviously big part of it, the best killers don't win by winning their chases the fastest, the best survivors not by having the longest chases. Apart from this, there are more misconceptions, or rather misconstruements in here. First of all, killers in tournaments have severe loadout restrictions themselves. Believe me, Nurse and Blight would not need to tunnel to win against anyone, if they were allowed stuff like Compound 33, Adrenaline Vial, Alchemist Ring, Ultimate Weapon, Pain Res and DMS and Weasel, Corrupt and Deadlock. Mind you, they may still camp and tunnel out the first survivor, simply because it is often optimal and reliable, but not because it is absolutely needed. You also say they need this to have a "chance" of winning, neglecting that the best players on these killers actually consistently 4k even in tournaments. They don't have a "chance" of winning, they win most of the time. And the survivors they are going against are not just the best survivors, they are the best survivor teams. Meaning they are on voice comms with trained call-outs, coordinate their loadouts and strategies, play and practice together in highly competitive contexts all the time. This is a far cry from basically anything anyone will ever meet in public matches.

Yes, tunnelling is often optimal and one of the most consistent ways to a 4k, but not only is this not always true (particularly once anti-tunnel perks come into play), it is far from always necessary. In public matches (i. e. the matches 99% of players play 99% of the time), it is almost never necessary. Tunnelling regularly just makes the game boring for good killers because too often it is too easy to win. Will you more often have people escape than you otherwise would if you choose not to tunnel out someone? Sure, but if you are good enough you will still be winning the vast majority of your matches, escapes still being rare. Personally I even go out of my way not to camp or tunnel, and I still easily average above 2 kills. I mean, it seems awfully entitled to me for anyone to expect to have streaks of winning hundreds or let alone thousands of matches. Even regardless of the fact that most of the players are nowhere near good enough to justify such an expectation. So why not be happy with winning 80% of the time or whatever, rather than tunnelling expecting to win all the time?

To note: If you are struggling to kill people, you should absolutely try tunnelling. It will help you be more competitive and it will also teach you better how the concept of "pressure" works in this game's context, because you will often find yourself in 3v1 scenarios then and you will realize that at that point, building pressure is so easy that you don't have to tunnel to win out from there. Which can be a hint to come to the realization that if you were to become good enough to build more pressure in 4v1 scenarios, you'd also be able to win without tunnelling someone out as soon as possible.

The "as soon as possible" clarifier is also something to note: You can still get someone out of the match before hooking everyone 2 times, it just doesn't have to be before hooking anyone else. You can "tunnel" two people at the same time, alternating between them. Or you can get someone to death hook early and only fall back to getting them out of the match should you at a later point realize you are not likely to otherwise win. Or you can just chase and hook whoever you find and down but as the match progresses preferrentially seek out and go for those that already have been hooked. All of this will still make for an overall more engaging match, more regularly.

I also agree that in order to remedy the balance and game experience issue of tunnelling, rebalancing is required that both nerfs tunnelling and buffs other playstyles. Things that reward alternating chases and hooks between survivors should be rewarded. For just one example you also brought up, Grim Embrace could be reworked and buffed, to make it so it blocks generators for a longer time the less hook stages you have total before getting a hook stage on everyone (or just make it so it blocks generators for 30 seconds for every generator remaining, such that a killer is incentivized to hook everyone once as soon as possible). Barbecue could show you the aura of any survivor without hook stages and give you a token for every fresh hook, gaining Haste for every token, but losing a token whenever you hook someone for the second time. Stuff like that. Same for buffs to means of combatting tunnelling, such as Decisive Strike activating up to two times, and/or lasting 4 or 5 seconds. And yes, some of them should even be basekit. Unhook Endurance should be unhook invincibility instead, so as to not allow the killer to put the unhooked survivor into Deep Wound instantly. Various killers could do with specific basekit buffs, and global changes such as increased base generator regression rate, basekit Corrupt (or blocking all gens until a chase starts), the ability to fake kicking a pallet, a much-increased wall breaking speed, and countless other things that could improve general killer play.

Oh, and of course, if BHVR were to make the matchmaking more strict, further increasing the "soft" cap and increasing queue times a bit more to look for better matches more often, that would also already change the balance and game experience issue of tunnelling for the better, it wouldn't be sticking out as as much of a sore thumb of the game's design. They have already adjusted the matchmaking to be a bit more strict recently, hopefully they'll go further with this in the future.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919
    Options

What in the world is this pro survivor propaganda? I just….. I can’t……

Time to main hag for like a week or two, maybe even add a few basement bubba games while I’m at it.

If anything, survivors need to check their privilege.

• Pulsar
    Options

I'd suggest somehow adjusting the strength of Survivors in the 4v1 and 3v1.

You shouldn't have a big advantage in the 4v1 and you shouldn't be doomed in the 3v1. Then we can go about actually punishing tunneling.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 680
    Options

Tunnelling one guy out is only viable if you can do it. Hardcore tunnelling one guy means you are literally pressuring 0 other people.

• FFirebrandd
    edited December 2023
    Options

That's essentially what my suggestion does. The survivors start off stronger with a 4v1, but a single hook essentially drops it to a 3.9v1. Two hooks drop it to 3.8v1. But then if the 3rd hook happens to the same survivor, the game doesn't abruptly drop to a 3v1... just a 3.5v1. Which is still good for the killer but shouldn't be insurmountable for the survivors.

On the flip side, if the Killer gets 8 hooks but no kills they're still rewarded and the Survivors are repairing at 3.2 total efficiency.

But along the way I've addressed tunneling because the killer can't fully boot a survivor out of the match anymore. They can still do it, they aren't punished for it, but they're not nearly as handsomely rewarded for it.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,067
    edited December 2023
    Options

Definitely agree with that. BHVR just can't overdo it to the point where it's not beneficial to keep everyone alive at all, or some survivors will not even care to unhook the first hooked survivor anymore.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,100
    Options

If instead of kills, it was about hooks then tunneling would matter less.

e.g. you only kill a survivor after N hooks (total, all survivors included)

But if they do that of course, killer will be even less satisfactory because getting a kill will be insanely difficult for all but the most experienced ones.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,173
    Options

Adjusting the 1v4 sounds pretty risky though. I'm not necessarily against this idea but tempering with survivor efficiency on a base level is something I'd rather they avoid, if possible. Playing smart can already put the killer in a favorable position in the 1v4 (with a bit of luck and the right killer of course), so I'm honestly not sure how well that would work out.

It's difficult to balance something so radical.

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118
    Options

This is why I suggest remove the ability to quickly create a 3v1 game. Survivors, instead of having 2 hook states should share a number of hooks among them, and only when enough hooks have been made can survivors be sacrificed. So for example say it's 8 hooks that the survivor team has, 1 survivor could be hooked 8 times, after that 8th hook anytime a survivor is hooked they will be sacrificed.

This way there will be no incentive for the killer to tunnel and if they do it will be detrimental because patrolling gens will become the greater focus. If the killer does decide to tunnel it will lose a lot of pressure towards gens because by chasing one survivor they're no longer rewarded by creating a 3v1 scenario.