Dredge is not that fun to play as. Do you agree?

Options
Chocolate_Cosmos
Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,342
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

Locking lockers shut downs his chase potention to use his power, even in nightfall.

He is kinda add-on dependant to make nightfall happen more offten than twice a match and to deal with lockers / cooldown / slow tp speeds.

His chase power is bad if the Survivor knows how to counter it (not need giga brain for that). Feels to slow when you hold remnant.

You auto teleport to locked locker if it is duo lockers, feels frustraiting.

Sometimes you can easily teleport to unwanted locker that sends you miles away mid chase...

He is very map dependant (locker spawns).

He is the most loudest killer in the game. Like you can tell 10+ meters away he is coming to you and Nightfall even more exposes him.

Comments

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,163
    Options

Yes, i used to play a lot on him and after a series of terrible matches, I still can't find strength to play for him again :D

Tbf, at the same time, he is solo destroyer. If locker rng allows you to have a good map pressure and you know how to use it, solo players just can't keep up with it. But like against good SWF he feels like Tier F killer.

He definately should spawn more lockers across the map, Haddie's calendar should be basekit and maybe increase walking speed while holding remnant. I would like to see some addons buff/rework as well.

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,022
    edited December 2023
    Options

dredge feels like slow slog. any time I play him, it feels like i'm moving at 4.45m/s lol.

idk man, lockers are just overly punishing, remnant usage is slow, tp's are very slow, cooldown is really long, catching up is really punishing, locker placements are super inconsistent. I want to love him so bad, but these make for a very sloppy feeling killer.

sadly i feel he needs more than just number changes to feel good. locker placements are obviously a very difficult thing to manage for all of these maps and variations, but something just needs to be done. it's a shame so much of his power weighs on the RNG placement of regular environment objects, especially in some maps that don't compensate for a killer power needing them at all. just sad.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,753
    Options

I think he's fun and decently strong, however he is very much map dependant, he dominates on indoor maps like Lerys and Hawkins but absolutely sucks on Coldwind

Extra locker spawns would make him so much better

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,693
    Options

I do think he's fun, but there are aspects that hold back that fun.

Teleporting mid chase so that I emerge from a locker right in front of a survivor and seeing them double back is fun. Going from one end of the map to the other to another in 5 seconds flat in nightfall is a lot of fun. Reading someone's aura far away and being right on top of them in 2-4 seconds flat is definitely fun. Even leaving your remnant at a loop, trying to position it in the best spot and waiting for the perfect moment to teleport back is pretty fun.

How long it takes to get out of locked lockers does hinder the fun a bit, but I'll admit that one feels like a nesceasry evil. The thing that really holds him back in terms of fun is maps lacking lockers in areas of interest.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,240
    Options

I thought he felt a bit slow when he was released and it hasn't changed. It's just not my kind of killer, I guess.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,082
    Options

No need to increase walking speed on remnant as his only counter is hold W but you should automatically look at the survivor when you teleport to it like hag.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,065
    edited December 2023
    Options

Big agree.

The Freakin' tele locker grabs man. It amazes me how I can still get these grabs pretty often to this day with Dredge alone and no other killer. Love when a match starts and right when you teleport to your very 1st locker you see that surv aura inside the locker and it does his bad ass animation of you grabbing them and manifesting out of the locker with them on your shoulder. SNIPING the first hook in the opening moments of the match. I always wonder what's going through the survs mind when it happens because I am always shooketh. Istg it'll be just out of the blue like " Oh, Hello There." Besides being able to even do it, just being able to do that more than occasionaly makes him 10/10 on the fun meter for me.

The only thing that would take him from Fun to Super Happy Dredge Fun Time would be the addition of more lockers, and that's not even the worst restraint to have compared to most of the original roster 😅

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 876
    Options

People saying dredge needs buffs need to play against him. He is one of the most obnoxious killers in the game.

He can teleport to any locker with seemingly no cool down

He can break locks off lockers negsting any survivor counter play

He can use the remnant to negate pallets and loops.

Nightfall is one of the most infuriating mechanics in the game because unless you have WoO equipped you spend most of your time running into stuff - especially in chase.

He can see your aura during nightfall when you're already massively handicapped.

He negates all locker based perks and if he's got BBQ equipped you know he's teleporting straight to you and you can't even negate it unless you have Distortion.

Honestly he's one of the killes in the game I would say has too much going for him.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,222
    Options

Even if Dredge is kinda meh you gotta admit he has some great skins between Maurice and Snowman

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,292
    Options

Hes mid at best if survivors are decent, locking one locker at a time makes him "negating counterplay" obsolete because he does not get the chance to break the lock, good loopers bait remnant tps to keep looping as they know he loses bloodlust, double backing and memorizing where loops are/geometry of tiles is just a given with good survivors so most players if they have played in that map before have no issue with nightfall (aside from probably the ones who get nausea from it), contrary to what you believe dredge does NOT get aura reading in nightfall, its a killer isntinct only near your tped locker.

Additionally he has a cooldown of 12 seconds for each power use and is the loudest character in the game, making pinpointing him at a loop and avoiding him sneaking on you incredibly easy.

Saying dredge has too much going for him shows a lack understanding of what essentially is a glorified m1 killer that a decent survivor should be able to dunk on easily.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

I don't know because, well, I don't have him.

But playing against him isn't that fun due to remnant being used mid-chase. If he had only the teleport to lockers and nightfall, he would be awesome to go against, because his concept is really good.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,292
    Options

If he had that dredge would be useless in maps like haddonfield and shelter woods, which would be fun for survivors because who doesnt love a killer without a power but awfull for the killer player.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Like I said, I don't have him. I don't know the specifics of his power from the killer's perspective, so I cannot really agree or disagree with that.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,473
    Options

He needs a lot of minor changes imo. Nothing drastic, but it feels like he has a lot of smaller issues that add up to a lot. I love Dredge, I’ve been playing him since his release, I just hope he gets looked at sometime since he hasn’t had any changes since shortly after his release and he kinda needs them.

For one, some maps need more lockers. Map RNG (and associated locker and generator placements) are too much of a factor into his strength. If you get a map with not very many lockers, or get generator spawns that aren’t near lockers, that hurts Dredge a lot and there’s nothing you can do about it as a player.

Second, locks are a little too punishing. Maybe hot take: I’m completely fine with the double locker system where you always go to the locked locker; trying to select individual lockers in a cluster (like you could try to do on the PTB) was very finicky and hard to do properly. I’d rather see the base time to exit a locked locker reduced to 2.5 seconds instead (and decrease the Haddie’s Calendar effect from -1 to -0.5) to make locks a bit weaker while still being effective.

Third, he’s too loud. You can easily hear him coming in Nightfall (even if you don’t see him) because of how loud he is and you can constantly hear him through walls too. I’m fine with the Remnant holding speed being a bit slow, I think it’s good for survivors to have adequate counterplay, but being able to hear him that easily hurts his mindgame potential a bit and diminishes how effective Nightfall can be.

His addons are also a bit of a mess. He has some that are actually really good, but some others that are useless. Malthinker’s Skull is by far the best Nightfall-building addon (probably even too strong tbh) and all the others for faster Nightfall building are just terrible. It doesn’t take long for Skull to give you the value you would’ve gotten from any of the other ones (Fallen Shingle, Wooden Plank, Burnt Letters) and then it just continues giving you more, making it by far the best choice for that. War Helmet and Air Freshener are also not that good.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,473
    Options

Destroying the remnant doesn’t reduce Nightfall time (and never did). It was originally in his power description but it was never actually a thing. The devs removed that line from the power description at some point so it’s not there anymore.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

His chase power is pretty dog, if there is any connecting loop or pallet nearby, it doesnt matter if you have a section blocked off by teleportation, survivors will just walk away while you're still slowed.

it's a shame that the most horror killer in DBD isnt scary because he isnt a threat.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

Depends on the map, if you have the lockers needed to guard gens like you need they're quite strong and fun but on a bad map it's painful. They should change locker spawn logic to always be near gens I'm sure they could do it.

• tenoresax
    tenoresax Member Posts: 793
    Options

As a former Dredge main, my experiences with playing them seem to range from decently fun to wildly demoralizing. I only really mained them because of how much I loved the overall design. The gameplay was just barely fun enough to keep me around.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,212
    Options

I love Dredge but it's hard when you have really bulky movements between lockers, a slow mindgame power and if lockers are even in good spots to begin with it.

That said... Rancor/No Way Out/Game Afoot/NoeD + Fallen Shingle/Air Freshener + Maurice Skin makes for some really hilarious games when survivors think you're just hiding in lockers and start giving you free hooks opening them up, making endgame a real death trap for the unwise. Just for giggles really.

• Nightmarefan
    Nightmarefan Member Posts: 62
    Options

He's a lot more fun to play as then against though he's on the low end of killer playtime for me.

• FrenchBagels
    FrenchBagels Member Posts: 150
    Options

Biggest factor is the locker teleport priority always being the locked locker in pairs. Why bother locking both lockers when the Dredge has no way to actually pick what locker to teleport to when the lockers come in groups?

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,283
    Options

His remnant mechanic is basically his antiloop. If that was removed then survivors could just loop him like any other regular m1 killer. As a form of antiloop it's still much easier to play against than Artist's crows and Pyramid Head's M2, and around longer loops it's really hard to use effectivelly anyway.

I understand you've not played him so you only have the survivor perspective but the stats themselves show that even with his remnant he's still mid-tier at best. Removing that would send him down to hang out with Trapper, Myers and Freddy.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,946
    edited December 2023
    Options

I absolutely love Dredge's aesthetic, cosmic horrors have always been fascinating to me. BHVR did a great job on making their first non-licensed non-human character. I wish I got Dredge's and Singularity's Twisted Masquerade masks because of how good they look but I wasn't there for the event.

As for its power, it's mainly due to locker placements in maps. Swamp especially has atrocious locker placement so it's definitely one of its worst realms. BHVR should add additional locker placements for maps that Dredge has lower kill rates on, see how that goes and if Dredge still struggles then buff the power itself. Remnant is really fun but counterable if survivors play their cards right (I think it's fine as it is) and being able to travel around the map through Lockers gives Dredge so much synergy with instadown perks. Personally I think Dredge alone is fine, it's just the locker placements that give it a hard time.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

They're ok to play as, but sometimes their power feels really clunky to use. They definitely need some QoL updates and maybe a couple buffs to certain things.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,984
    Options

Dredge being forced to go to locked lockers was one thing I always thought was dumb.