Do FOMO tactics work on you?

Options

For me, yes they have. Though not necessary I would rather not wait an entire year to be able to have access to these skins. Rounded up about $250 to buy them all. I could afford them nonetheless, but the fact they have a limit time on purchase has reeled me in.

Anyone else get reeled in?

ยซ1

Comments

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,671
    Options

Yes, to a very unhealthy level.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    Options

Since I bought so much I'll stop just playing my main survivor and jump around to get value out of these skins. Zarina or Elodie onsie anyone?

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 791
    Options

No, all my characters already have the snazziest fits.

And I only buy cosmetics with shards anyway.

• Objectively_speaking
    Objectively_speaking Member Posts: 487
    edited December 2023
    Options

More people will always buy, then not buy when it comes to FOMO. Even if you do nothing the few people who buys 1k worth of stuff will far out pay whatever you do, or do not buy.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Kjรธttkaker
    Kjรธttkaker Member Posts: 26
    Options

It's the misinformed that I'm worried about the most on this world. Buying these cosmetics with money doesn't get them anywhere other than to seek approval.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,254
    Options

No, to the point that i honestly don't even understand why ppl complain about it.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,116
    Options

Are we talking limited time cosmetics? No. They don't excite or do anything for me cause I'm already loaded on cosmetics for all my characters & don't care for more. I also just think a lot of the cosmetics don't look good, but thats a personal gripe.

Events? Sometimes. The halloween event for example, is one I always try to play a minimum of, just to unlock the rewards/cosmetics b/c its easy. The anniversary event is another that I'll jump on for. But honestly, even the events aren't that fun, interesting or rewarding. I mean sure, if you care about bloodpoints. ๐Ÿ™„

But yea, FOMO doesn't really hit me that hard. Not in this game, at least.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Actually, no. But i already bought all Kate, Mikaela and Zarina costumes.

And actually, i saved more money than old years. Because now all costumes are coming with shard option, so i am just waiting a month to buy them. This saved me good money.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,500
    edited December 2023
    Options

Being a completionist, i'm obligated to buy the time limited cosmetics.

If i wasn't a completionist and saw a cosmetic i didn't like, then i simply wouldn't buy it regardless if it was limited timed or not.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Nope.

I rarely ever buy cosmetics in this game. Freddy doesn't have any, and I'm happy with Claudette's stuff from the Charity Case.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,283
    edited December 2023
    Options

Not really but that's more because I'm poor so can't really afford it ๐Ÿ˜€

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,337
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yes and no. I simply do not purchase store cosmetics with auric cells, but I am kinda susceptible to the rift and events.

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,461
    Options

It had the opposite effect on me. I used to buy cosmetics for any character and once they pulled that FOMO crap it turned me off so much. I made a conscious decision to purchase cosmetics only for my mains and nobody else. So I end up spending less money on cosmetics now.๐Ÿ‘

• Juicyman
    Juicyman Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2023
    Options

No, if anything for me it's a detriment. If I'm about to get into and commit to a new game and learn that the cool stuff is never coming back or requires an unhealthy commitment to even get it I'm just not going to bother and play something that respects my time.

The only time I've forced myself to commit to DBD in this regard, while not enjoying the game, was to get the GF Wassup Mask when it was in the Rift as it wasn't 100% if it would return.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

No unless they're for characters I actually play and I actually like the outfit so actually just no cuz if I see something I like I'll just get it right away limited time or not.

• DH3206
    DH3206 Member Posts: 254
    Options

Only with the rift if I don't complete it in time because of IRL stuff.

Other cosmetics I find WAY overpriced so I only buy skins I like for my main Kate or Trapper.

If I buy everything for both my ps5 and pc account, i will be bankrupt.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,097
    Options

What are you missing out on? Sure, you don't want to wait a year but what happens if you don't buy it now? You'll have to play with dozens of other outfits until it comes around again. Not like it's unattainable forever. This isn't legacy.

Might be healthy for you to go without and learn what's really important in life.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,999
    Options

I bought only 1 best (for me) Nancy outfit and 1 best Steve when they were going to be removed from the game.

Same to AoT, I bought Yui outfit just a few hours before the AoT outfits being removed from the game. Got them abit cheaper too.

Other outfits that coming back next year, I dont mind at all.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,878
    Options

No I have better things to worry about then stupid cosmetics. I have a house to buy and I will not waste a cent on pointless clothes

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,064
    Options

Not really. I also play Genshin Impact (mostly F2P outside of battle passes and the monthly "subscription") It amounts to me paying for it like i would say, an MMO around $15 a month.

And in that game, a character comes around and you have 20 days to gamble on them then you won't see them again for probably 8 months. And that FOMO doesn't work on me and that involves CHARACTERS. Skins are pretty pointless to me. Personally, i actually like battle passes a lot. They reward you for playing the game, and when you pay for them you USUALLY get a lot more value than you would just buying things.

I have also always thought DBD has the best "battle pass" of any game i have ever played. Its the one major thing the devs to right. Not only do you get back all the premium currency spent if you complete the battle pass, but the challenges you have to do to complete it, are not time gated (in the sense that they go away). Meaning that, in theory, if i played a ton, i could probably complete the battle pass on the last week if i wanted to.

So, i tend to buy battle passes, not for the FOMO, but because i feel i get a good deal out of it. Especially DBDs, because that one i only ever bought the first one and have been riding on the free currency i get from them since then.

• TheFragile
    TheFragile Member Posts: 40
    Options

In short No.

Rifts : No

I've finished a few rifts to get some cosmetics I wanted. Was it because of fomo? Not really. Mostly because I had fun unlocking tiers. Ive skipped many because I know I will never use half the stuff. And it felt like a waste of time.

The Store Cosmetics : No

The prices are outrageous. Some skins cost more than DLC. No thank you. Some outfits look great some look horrible. If prices were half the price I'd actually consider buy stuff. But I know this will never happen.

Event Cosmetics. No and Yes.

I've skipped some events only because I know I will never use the items. But if theres something I want, sure I will complete the task

Have I ever purchased Paid cosmetics? Yes

Naughty Bear, Jennifer, Dredge Snowman. The Dr.

On a side note. Once I bought a few Paid items. The thrill of owning them was over ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,878
    Options

No. There are so many cosmetic options about that I'm not fussed by limited-time cosmetics. I just ignore them and stick to what's always available; often waiting for sales to get them.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

FOMO tactics work on everyone (trust me they do)... but... its highly dependent on the importance placed on the item.

So for me... game cosmetics no, not in the least because I really don't care that much about them.

Some players will care more (That's fine) and as such should be more vigilant with how receptive to FOMO over them they may be.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,778
    Options

FOMO won't turn a "no" into a "yes" for me, but it will sometimes turn a "maybe" into a "yes."

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

not really

Iโ€™m someone who bought most of the event cosmetics before they turned into event only cosmetics

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 940
    Options

Store: not really. I only bought some Stranger Things outfits during the going-away sale because the discount was good. I've bought a few things during Black Friday sales, but they weren't limited time items, they're sold all year.

Rifts: yeah, I guess. I'm still going off the Auric Cells from the vey first Rift back in 2019. Gotta keep playing to keep the max value going, ya know? Only spent time, not more money.

Events: yes but only because they're free to participate in.

You'd never catch me buying the $10 outfits just because they're limited time.

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 617
    Options

I don't know. This seems more like, "I have poor impulse control, so we must all have poor impulse control."

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,059
    Options

Nope it just depends if i like the style.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

Not exactly, I'm by no means saying if you buy and enjoy cosmetics (or anything else for that matter) that you have poor impulse control.

Rather its good to recognize an impulsive tendency with respect to something you value having. Because anything we value having can be the subject of FOMO.

The concept of FOMO works because it plays on some very primitive impulses behaviorally and we are all subject to it. How much so often depends on how much we value what's on offer.

With respect to the topic, If you really like game cosmetics then you may be more inclined to fork out cash purely out of FOMO rather than a genuine desire to own and use the item.

Think about this, do you have heaps of game cosmetics that you've never used? If yes then that's probably impulse control and it would pay to be mindful of the decision before forking out the cash for more cosmetics.

If you have a couple and do swap them out and use them, then that's probably not impulse control and FOMO is likely to be less affective and hence less effective on you in this case.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,065
    edited December 2023
    Options

No, because that would require one to have money and I am just a poor boy from a poor family.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    Options

their presence makes me want to spend less money, not more

so no

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,140
    edited December 2023
    Options

I don't have money to spare on things like cosmetics. I've bought some Rift Passes but now I have 1000 cells permanently banked so I can get the Passes without paying for them again. I'm willing to put in time and effort to complete a Rift because I enjoy earning stuff through playing and I'd hate leaving it unfinished. But limited-time cosmetics? I don't care at all. Since most of them are holiday-themed too, that gives me even less reason to care, I don't like wearing seasonal stuff outside of the season. Plus there's too dang many ugly sweaters for me to start collecting them now.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270
    edited December 2023
    Options

Let me give you a scenario on why people hate it

Person 1: hey that's a nice shirt cosmetic you have I think it would pair really well with these pants how did you get them whats it called?

Person 2: Oh the shirt is called the cold embrace top(using a generic name) and I'm sorry you can't get it anymore as it was from a battle pass(using battle passes here as they are fomo incarnate) from a few years back

Person 1: Oh that sucks guess I have to hope they release out a similar top with the same color scheme

Heck you don't even need to spend money to hate fomo

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    Options

I play DBD since release so yeah - I most likely buy skins for my mains if they are not too ugly. But FOMO does not interest me if the skins are damn ugly and if I can't afford a skin then I have surely bigger issues in life than missing cosmetics in a video game. ๐Ÿ’€

• BooperDooper
    BooperDooper Member Posts: 266
    edited December 2023
    Options

I guess yes and no. I did get some sweaters since I won't see them for year but I bought them mostly with shards and I didn't buy anything more expensive than a sweater. The limited time skins thing is just annoying if anything, I'd rather wait for a sale/when it's for shards than buy a skin out right that is limited time. I also refuse to use real life money on original character's skins now, and refrain from buying licensed skins much (I just have a select few). I generally get my skins through the rift instead which is much more worth it.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

No. I usually don't buy the limited time outfits anyway because I refuse to spend boatloads of money on this game anymore.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,134
    Options

I don't care about "missing" out.

First, I've learned for many many years that if any "seller" tries to give a sense of urgency, the best move is to reject the deal, forever, and never trust the guy.

Second, I have basically no interest in skins & such. The best ones, I'd consider buying for a dollar at most. ๐Ÿ˜†

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

I only buy what I know I'll wear and use now. I've spent an outrageous amount of money on this game but don't regret it.

It used to work on me but not anymore. I only buy stuff for characters I play, even though I have them all (and all legendaries)

If it's for Kate, Min, Heather, Jill, Rebecca, Ada or Mikelia (and any of their legendaries if they ever release extra costumes for them) and I really like it, I'll get it. If I know I won't use it, I'll pass.

Rift stuff though I get no matter what, especially deep rift as they said that's the only way to get it.

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 312
    Options

The outfit only being available for a short time each year doesn't really tempt me, no. If I wanted something I would buy it, regardless of its availability. The only part of the limited access that bothers me is the fact that they don't have to do good discounts on seasonal outfits anymore, since the cosmetic being briefly available is effectively the "special offer" in the first place.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,626
    Options

The discounts on Christmas cosmetics this year is nice though. I was expecting 250 cells per ugly sweater and this year they're 175 cells I believe. The full outfits are a couple hundred cells less too I believe.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,384
    Options

It's not the FOMO, its that I couldn't ever caring enough about a cosmetic to actually spend money on it.

I am grateful for the free auric cells from Amazon prime a while back, I use those on the battle pass and refill by always completing it.

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 312
    Options

There have been far better discounts in the past. Sweaters have been 40-50% off, full outfits have been 50-75% off. 30% off is okay for the sweaters, but pretty bad for outfits (which are already 10% off, meaning it's only a 20% discount.) A difference of only about $2 off outfits is just pathetic. If someone is willing to buy something for $8, then they probably were willing to buy it for $10 at full price anyway.

• HarlockTaliesin
    HarlockTaliesin Member Posts: 763
    Options

Thankfully no. Most advertising doesn't work on me, which I'm eternally grateful for. I buy what I want/need and the rest is a skip. 99% of the cosmetics for anything I have in the game is from events/rifts/codes and a few from shards.

That being said, even though I'm not susceptible to FOMO, I'm very much against it because of how it affects the people that are. It's as problematic as gambling addiction, but it's not taken as seriously. I group it together with gacha gaming schemes, as it's specifically designed to prey on or otherwise take advantage of people.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,758
    Options

Nope. I only buy things I legitimately want.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

Not a bit. As an irony. I refuse to buy anything that is time limited.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,870
    Options

Not seriously. I don't bother with the seasonal cosmetics, and there are several characters I still haven't bothered to get.

But the one thing I will do is purchase premium IF I reach level 70 in the rift first.