If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Ways to make Corrupt Intervention not needed?

Options
Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,263

Once you get past a certain point with your MMR it feels like every single killer runs Corrupt, and I can certainly see why many might feel it's basically required.

Survivors (usually) spawn far from the killer and close to gens, so to stop all 4 survivors insta-hopping onto gens while the killer spends time crossing the map, Corrupt just fixes that and forces the survivors to move toward the killer and do more central gens.

The beginning of the game is basically the most important time for survivors to get gens done, as the killer is at their weakest. All the pallets are up, the killer has no info on where survivors are (unless they run Lethal), no one is hooked, or injured and everyone is clean of hook states. Survivors have nothing to do but slam gens, and the entire pace of the game is usually decided by how the first 60 seconds go.

Corrupt is one of the only killer perks that actually gives the killer a big power swing at a time they're otherwise incredibly weak. Nothing else does what Corrupt does and the only other perk that's even close to being as impactful early-game is Lethal Pursuer, but that doesn't stop gens being done.

Do you always run Corrupt? Do you think it's 'needed'? What do you think BHVR could do to change early-game so that it isn't as reliant on Corrupt?

Comments

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    Options

I don't always run CI but I really should.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 715
    edited December 2023
    Options

Dropped it recently on pyramid head for deadlock

current build is lethal, I’m all ears, nurses calling and deadlock

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

I think it is an excellent perk, but I rarely use it myself. Maybe I should, but honestly I don't really care much about winning, I just wanna have fun (which is becoming increasingly harder, but that is a discussion for another time).

I don't think CI is needed, to be honest, unless you're playing Hag or Trapper. There are always better options to run.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

I'm surprised CI is so popular given that it is RNG dependent. Sometimes survivors spawn right in the middle of it, but sometimes as survivor I'll see a really close gen that is open and just jump on that.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,126
    Options

I never run Corrupt maybe except Plague or sometimes Trapper. I think Corrupt is overrated and literally useless in some matches (30/70 useless/at least some value). (and yes, sometimes it could have a big value). Even in some survivors matches i don't know that killer has it until end match screen.

But i run Deadlock instead very often, because 2-3 gens done on by one is the biggest problem imo.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,226
    Options

Dunno how people can think there are better options to run. I think it's the best killer perk on every killer. Start of the game is when it's practically impossible to defend all of the generators so anything that allows you to defend generators early on is very valuable. Corrupt does this perfectly.

One idea i have is to make the generators that would be corrupted by default make them have reduced repair speed (like 50% reduction) until 2 minutes pass or the killer gets a down i think this gives a fair chance at the early game. This would still make corrupt an interesting perk to use because it would have the effect of forcing survivors to come to you whilst by default the survivors can choose.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2023
    Options

Maybe if the artist perk, which blocks gens gets buffed there is a cool alternative perk.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

That's why i am keep asking they need to buff DS. Tunnelling is so free atm and it's braindeadly easy. OTR is supposed to help but it just meh level perk.

Buffing DS will be good nerf to tunnelling and then maybe we can see different strategies again.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,641
    Options

no, you'll still see same strategy. the only difference is now you'll get punished for doing same strategy. this incentives killer to play stronger killers in the chase because they can take DS, re-down quickly and ignore the perk. The killer who get punished by obvious shift-w don't get played anymore or get played less.

It is like saying, "Hit & Run is so free right now, we should re-buff circle of healing so hit & run becomes less viable", That will stop those killers from spreading pressure! that your logic towards tunneling. that logic stops wraith from playing hit & run and encourages wraith to put on 1vs1 add-on like shadow dance. Alternately, you see less people play wraith. that is my analogy to your DS tunneling statement.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,188
    Options

Corrupt intervention is, as you said a fix for a core game problem. Many killers being incredibly weak in the early game.

Why is this that bad I hear people ask?

If the killer has a bad early game, meaning, they lose 2-3 gens for their first down. They will very likely tunnel or / and camp to get any pressure going.

A stronger killer early game is needed without being linked to one perk.

The problem is, how do you accomplish this when power houses like Nurse or Blight exist, that are definitely not in need of such a mechanic? Killers like them would become unbearingly strong in the right hands. That is also not what should be the goal.

The one way would be, to nerf these killers to make them more in line with the weaker cast and then introduce an early game mechanic that helps all killers equally.

The other way would be to accept that some killers are just way weaker and give them the early game mechanic exclusively. This however comes with it's own set of problems.

Corrupt is a band aid fix. Just as ds, otr, Stbfl and borrowed time are / where.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,188
    Options

Just buffing ds will not make tunneling go away in any significant way.

Getting someone out is still the most effective way of winning a trial as a killer. Until this changes significantly, tunneling will stay as a core tool in the killers arsenal.

I dislike it, you dislike it.

There should be a mix of both introduced at the same time. A reward for NOT tunneling AND a punishment for tunneling.

This, in my opinion, would make a significant impact on the amount of tunneling. It won't go away, because if the killer wants to tunnel, you can't stop them. They are a player with a free will. But it will be seen less, due to it being less effective.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,954
    edited December 2023
    Options

Corrupt is a great perk that can be good for killers with slow starts or low mability. However, CI is a must-run for setup killers like Trapper, Hag, and maybe Skull Merchant if she qualifies as one. I usually run Surge, Deadlock, or both for my slowdown. Other 2-3 slots go to chase, misc, or tracking perks.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,713
    Options

I'd prefer CI just to be basekit. Survivors already got a good number of basekit goodies. XD

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Well we have no solution then.

And i am not against to punishing killer for tunnelling, even if they are playing m1 killer. If you are gonna tunnel someone out, there should be some risks.

Hit & run is just fine tho. That's my playstyle on Sadako and i am doing fine.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2023
    Options

Scratch marks and groans of pain should be gone for both survivors after the unhook for 10s. So you could try to hide for a heal. For that to work, the general volume of groans of pain has to be a bit more silent.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,040
    Options

It's not necessary, not even close.

However, there is some degree to which I think the killer's early game could be improved, and it largely has to do with spawn logic. If it were mechanically impossible for survivors to spawn spread out, only ever spawning in groups of two or all together, the early game for killers would be a little more consistent and wouldn't have those nasty edge cases where you lose three gens in your first chase. Nerfing toolboxes would help here too, but that's just sort of generally necessary in its own right.

• Bartolomeo87
    Bartolomeo87 Member Posts: 35
    Options

Personally I don’t even use corrupt because I get the first down quickly in 90% of my games making it almost a waste. Sure it won’t be a complete waste but the effect it had was minimal in those scenarios.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,717
    Options

It very strong but i don't like running it. Obviously it's mandatory on setup killers

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Same for me. I don’t use it and I do fine. I’d even suggest using LP and UW over it. You’re gonna tunnel out the first survivor anyway and even if you don’t, you’ll find one person to hook and then have two survivors occupied. You can return to that hook (proxy camp) and injure the saver, now you’ve got two injured or potentially one down one injured and a third survivor will need to help reset things. So that’s three survivors off gens at probably 3-5 gens remaining.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,984
    Options

I think the problem OP stated is kinda artificially inflated due to dumb early game killer handicaps. The fact that you have killers like Onryo or Freddy who have mobility abilities that just aren't allowed to use and are forced to walk across the map is dumb.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,057
    Options

I don't see it that often - but almost every Plague I encounter uses it and it is in my Plague build, too.

I use perks that are good for gen regression or chases instead.