Understanding perspectives.

Options

Im trying to understand the perspective of certain playstyles. Playing DBD is fun, but after trying a few things, I found there were playstyles I genuinely didn't enjoy. Tunneling, camping, gen rushing, and even just being an ass to the killer.

So my question is to those who tunnel, genrush, bully etc, is it enjoyable? Most of the people I've chatted with said its not very fun, but it gets the W. I can understand that, but playing a game when its not your job, and not enjoying it, seems a little strange to me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,282
    Options

Tunnelling is not really that fun but it beats losing

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    edited January 1
    Options

I never intentionally Gen rush unless I’m trying to win for a challenge or an adept

I do feel bad when I have games where 3 gens get done at the same time and the killer dcs after

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

I wouldn't say I genrush as I rarely use toolboxes or BNPs, but I am that one survivor doing gens.

I just like it.

As for camping and tunneling, I try to avoid it. I only do it when there is absolutely no other choice.

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 618
    Options

I honestly do not care whether I get tunneled or camped as survivor. I think it as challenge to overcome and enjoy the chase, trying to perform better.

Gen rushing goes similar. I think it is legit strategy for survivors and do my best to aginst them and get satisfying result.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

So winning feels better than actually enjoying the game as it happens. Its all about that end result? Interesting. Ty!

Ty to all of you :)

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Options

I never thought about that aspect. It makes sense now and honestly, that was hella enlightening. I dont play killer as much as survivor, but knowing these ideals helps stomach things such as the tunneling, etc.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,279
    edited January 1
    Options

Tunneling isnt fun. Im the last you will see that promotes this playstyle. I however know that it is sometimes the necessary evil to beat survivors that become too efficient for the killer to handle.

Sore losers just feel awful in general. I always hope there would be more reasonable people playing dbd that dont go to extremes whether they won or lost the game. Sadly this is not the case.

If you play survivor that much, you can easily see this i feel like. Survivors waiting in exit gate, just to tbag the killer for the killers "terrible" job is one expression of being a sore winner. All the nasty stuff that gets put into end game chat is the next step.

Some players have also just taken the experience for granted and play as sweaty as possible, because they expect the other side to be nasty no matter what they do. This again, goes for survivor and killer both.

Of course there are also the bad apples that just like to troll regardless.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Options

To be up front, I understand tunneling is a tactic that is called for. But not at the start of the game. When I complain about tunneling, THATS the method I am referring to. Its just toxic for the game. So I totally understand ya.

• radiantHero23
    Options

It's a playstyle. It's as efficient as possible to win as killer to have someone gone as fast as possible. It's sad I know, but that's the truth.

The game doesn't reward multiple hooks at all. It punishes it more often than not.

Can you blame a Trapper for going for the same person 3 times to win? Not really.

Can you blame survivors for splitting up on gens at the beginning of the match to have 3 pop after 90 seconds or less? Also not really.

It's the most efficient way to play.

I really hope this changes in the future for the game to be more based around interaction between both sides. Right now this isn't the case.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Options

I understand. I will make note that no, a trapper doesnt need to do that until its late in the game and its clear that tactic is needed. Im a Trapper main and I can say I've tunneled once, after all gens were done.

From what it sounds like, the two efficient ways to play for each side is toxic for the game. I wish BHVR would listen.

• radiantHero23
    Options

Agree!

But until then, we have to deal with how the game is right now.

Best we can do is give constructive feedback.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

Some people can only have fun if they are winning and since proxy camping + tunneling are very easy to do AND get wins, it's not hard to see why they are so widely used.

Gen rushing is basically the same but it's not really happening in soloq games because tome challenges, achievements, lack of coordination etc. cause many survivors to play in a "suboptimal" way.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,879
    Options

It's not my playstyle to tunnel, camp and bm others, but the tactics that prove efficient especially often lead to bad experiences further along the line.

A Killer who simply tunnels a Survivor out early to get easy wins will be successful early on. However, after a while they'll come across more competent players, while not actually having learned more about the Killer. Those players then get trounced and have a number of bad experiences, resulting in complaints.

It's better to play to learn primarily, with winning occuring naturally thereafter. Even doing the Daily Challenges or Tome Challenges can help focus the player to pursue different methods and aspects of the Trial.

So, going back to the tunnelling, bm'ing and camping that some use, those players may get an instant hit of gratification that is short-lived, compensating for whatever misery they encountered elsewhere.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    Options
  • Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,238
    Options

I usually just chill with a build I enjoy and play optimally, meaning Im not throwing the game.

For example: as a Survivor if I see a killer is hardcore camping with little to no chance were both getting out of there, Im sticking to gens. As killer if I see a Survivor I just hooked not too long ago sitting in the corner of the map self caring, Im definitely going for them.

Its not like Im going out of my way to do these things, but on the receiving end it feels all the same if you make mistakes like the examples above

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

It's likely an uncommon thing but for me I don't kick gens, tunnel or camp because I dislike like those things.

But the issue is it makes the experience so linear, I've removed any thought I had to put into the game in the past.

On survivor I feel I can still try as hard as I can so I lean more towards that role these days.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,330
    Options

Tunneling isn't super enjoyable to me, but when I had to do it I greatly enjoyed the feeling of finally getting the kill even if it didn't change the outcome of the game. Genrushing in the Before Times was fun because if felt like a somewhat challenging thing to do, but playing super short games got old almost instantly. The times I've camped has usually been more out of necessity rather than any sort of fun. The only exception is a bit of Bubba basement shenanigans which was quite fun.

• OrangeBear
    Options

It's hard to enjoy the game when it's obvious it's going to end with humiliation and harassment

• OrangeBear
    Options

Every victory in this game is unsatisfactory to me because there's no reward for it at all. Grades are pointless to me. So it's pretty much losing is punished and winning is not.

• OrangeBear
    Options
  • Interocitor
    Interocitor Member Posts: 141
    edited January 1
    Options

Tunneling is more fun than looking for extremely stealthy immersed survivors, those are the very worst games imo when playing killer turns into a walking simulator with bad FOV, terrible lighting, and ugly fog effects.

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 615
    Options

I have a friend who is new to the game. He says that he rather camp and tunnel to get bloodpoints at the end for at least 1 kill than trying something new or interesting and not getting that kill. He also learned that if you proxy camp with bots in the match, the bots won't get close, so he uses that as well. He even says that he doesn't care for the anti camping thing because if the survivor unhooks themselves, he can just chase him again... Such a weird mentality tbh

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

In all games there will be bad winners and sore losers, but I think the problem is less about "disliked" playstyles and more about expecting others to play in a certain way.

Basically anything within the game rules goes once loaded into a match; including hook defence AKA camping, tunneling, bleeding out, repeated flash light blinds, BM or genrushing, is potential gameplay you may face.

We can debate how necessary these things are for a game and/or how much we may or may not dislike them but they are part of the game and should be expected if queuing up.

The reality is none of these things can hurt you and if you want to go for the win, however you choose to do that, if its within the confines of the game rules then you are free to go for it.

Really the first two steps to enjoying DBD is the realisation that:

1. Gameplay is just that and isn't some personalized or malicious attack on your fun.
    2. No one else is obligated to follow the arbitrary rules of play you set for yourself.

These two points can make any game of DBD enjoyable.

• oreoslurpee
    oreoslurpee Member Posts: 283
    edited January 2
    Options

no its not fun. I play to win yes, but I dont play like a dick just to win. camping & tunneling is definitely not the only way to win games, and if you really think it is, then the hard truth is just to get better at the game. if you had good gen pressure and the ability to keep players injured, then you wouldn't need to tunnel or camp in order to win.

(i know, kinda ironic coming from a sadako main huh LOL)

• MadameExotine
    MadameExotine Member Posts: 177
    edited January 2
    Options

Tunnelling, camping, gen-rushing are all strategies with counter play. It's just frustrating/unfun that the counter play requires "pre-knowlege" that it'll happen, either to have the right perks or set-ups for them.

Some of the funnest most memorable games I've had as survivor were when I/teammate were camped and tunnelled, but were ready for it. And vice versa, some of the most exciting games I've had as killer was having slow downs at the right places, when surv came in to genrush.

If I figure out quickly enough in a game that it's gonna be a casual match or serious match, I adjust my play style accordingly.

• pigslittlepet
    pigslittlepet Member Posts: 431
    Options

I try not to tunnel or camp but if three gens pop by first chase which can easily happen if that survivor just predrops every pallet he comes to then what do you expect me to do? I've already lost 3/5th of my gens and only have 1/12th of the hooks. I've lost momentum and need to get it back somewhere. I don't want to tunnel or camp but if I don't the odds are I have 4 hooks, maybe I kill, and a great view of the other survivors rears bagging me in the exit. It feels like ######### especially when I don't run regression in favor of running more fun perks like bamboozle or end/spirited.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,693
    Options

When I tunnel it's usually a stress response thing to the match going by too quickly. Doing it isn't fun, but when I make the decision to I'm basically going "well I'm already not having fun, may as well also get a kill out of it". And I will admit getting that one kill eases the pain of getting genrushed/bullied/whatever, cause at least they didn't completely get away with it or something.

Not trying to defend or condone tunneling, but I did want to contribute my mindset to the discussion.