Isn't solo Survivor a little OP?

Options
DemonDaddy
DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

Yep, thats right, Im starting to consider my effectiveness as an individual survivor to much. Completely isolated from teamwork and based solely on my objective performance, it feels like Im playing with a handicap setting that cant be turned off. And my basis for this has absolutely nothing to do with my death or escape ratio.

75%

What do I mean? Thats how much of the primary objective I complete solo in matches that end in death. Let me reinterate that real quick, 75% for gens with an end result of me on hook.

For clarity, Im not saying nobody else does gens or I only get bad teammates. Im just stating that in matches where teammates are preoccupied and cycling through hooks, I as one indiviual can carry the TEAM OBJECTIVE to 75% before becoming the last victim myself.

I would also like to note that this is not uninterrupted progress. Mixed into this are saves, healing, totems, killers kicking my gens, and multiple chases with some or all ending in a hook. I dont claim to be better then anyone Im paired with, only that I use the tools and warnings to the best of my ability.

4 survivors - 5 gens

1 survivor = 3 gens going on 4

Absent of a complete failure, I'm seeing this as way to much objective control for someone that only considers themself simi-decent as a survivor.

Well thats just been my perspective for the last couple of weeks thats lead me to this opinion. Solo has its shortcomings but I try to rationalize it with the idea that 3 other people can/intend to play just as effectively if not better then myself.

If you have any other factor of success which aligns with this, Id like to hear more.

Do bad teammates validate why one person should be this effective?

If so, does that validate mmr giving you bad teammates to limit success?

Comments

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

So, you think that in matches that end with you losing you are op?

I am pretty sure very few players would consider a killer op just because he is constantly in chases and damaging gens, despite not getting a down or a hook. Because chase time is not a metric anyone uses.

But thats basicly what you are doing, you just choose a metric that noone else uses to measure your "effectiveness" and ignore the actual outcome of the match.

IF thats ok for you, yeah, then feel op, but dont think that many people will share your view.

• DemonDaddy
    edited December 2023
    Options

More matches then then Id care to count since alien release. Just roughly the benchmark I notice for gen progress as I die.

I would like to point to the section where I mention activities in matches. While not every match is the same, I rarely find myself doing all of the gens without encountering the killer and do mention chases happen win or lose.

I also wouldnt blame the killers ability every time as there is little reason to ignore targets for someone you have to search for. Even if they patrol and interupt my repairs its not a sure thing they will get a chase out of me.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

My point is that one person can complete so much of the objective alone. Im not shifting the goal post, just pointing out how influence one player has on a team objective.

The fact the killer won in my opinion doesnt change how little was left for 3 other players to contribute.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

Well if teammates are doing what they should and Im not making mistakes, thats a win. My focus is on those times when the team is wiped out before me.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,144
    Options

Its not about SWF vs solo queue or anything like that.

It is simply "gen efficiency" do the survivors do gens or not. If survivors "just do gens" the killer does not have enough time to win the game unless they are playing nurse, or the survivors throw. The problem with "solo queue" is that many survivors "don't just do gens" they are busy doing tome challenges, or god knows what. I know because when i play survivor the UI tells me my team is doing nothing for a solid 90 seconds while someone suicides on hook and i'm working a gen and nobody else has touched agen, healed. been chased, not even a chest or a totem. I have no idea what they are doing.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,376
    Options

Why does it have to be Hillbilly of all killers? I swear, we aren't that sweaty.

The Blight mains are the sweaty ones! It's @HugTechLover and his associates.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,144
    edited December 2023
    Options

2 things can be true at once. The game heavily favors survivors at a high level, and these changes are awful even though i know you are memeing. Increasing gen times is not the answer. The answer is fixing spawn rates, and evening out the curve of the game. For example, 3 genning is a problem. So instead of doing some complicated mechanic, the simple fix is to even out the game by taking some time from the last gens and put it toward the first gens.

I.E.

1st gen takes: 130 seconds

2nd gen takes: 110 seconds

3rd gen takes: 90 seconds

4th gen takes: 70 seconds

5th gen takes: 50 seconds

So same "90 seconds per gen" for a total of 450 seconds, but the times are slightly split up.

Then i would also setup spawns so that survivors ALWAYS spawn next to each other forcing them to risk being spotted to spread out and rework the spawn offerings. There are other things i'd do for tunneling/camping as well, but this would be a first start toward evening out the curve of the game so that the game isn't decided in the first 60 seconds. Because as it stands right now, the game is basically decided based on whether or not survivors get 3 gens done for that first hook. If they do, then they can win if they don't throw. If they don't, then the killer can camp and tunnel their way to winning pretty easily. This also helps alleviate the 3 gen problem in 2 ways:

1) The last gen is much much faster, if you manage to pair up survivors, that last gen is only going to take the 2 pairs 29 seconds to finish a gen. This is not enough time for a killer to do a solid 3 gen, because just walking to each gen is going to take a solid 5-10 seconds already and the survivors will win that battle of attrition very fast

2) Gen regression perks tend to work on a percentage, so that pain resonance for example working on a 50 second gen, is only taking off 12.5 seconds of progress, instead of 22.5. This is going to make the gen defense perks WEAKER as time goes on, making it more possible to break those 3 gens.

The match should not be "over" in the first 60 seconds for either side in general though.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,181
    Options

He got 3 gens done alone that would equal 8 hooks on killer without kill pretry much.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,104
    Options

It's meant to be all the killers speaking in unison, the bubble just happens to be closest to Mountain William's head

• DemonDaddy
    Options

I dont know where this idea that I was left alone to do gens comes from. I find it very rare to have little or no interaction with the killer.

Im also not denying the killer won, any percentage of gens when we all die is not a win in my book. What Im pointing at is how much one player can progress the objective while the killer is technically doing well.

My op conclusion comes from solo gen progress yes, but this is in addition to escaping chases, avoiding the killer, and prolonging teammates that continue to make mistakes and be caught. Im looking at how competent a single player can be and then applying the rational that this can stack with each survivor.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

You have me curious how far I could get with that. Definitely if I can earn a badge for it.

• nora_the_explora
    nora_the_explora Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2023
    Options

I was just trying tho make the OP laugh tho, i was not suggesting anything...

• nora_the_explora
    nora_the_explora Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2023
    Options

The DemonDaddy achievement: repair all 5 generators alone without being chased once and exit throught the exic gates xD

Post edited by nora_the_explora on
  • pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

It comes from the fact that if you are on gens then you aren't interacting with the killer. I didn't say the killer never interacted with you. But if you are good at avoiding/escaping chases then you have more time interacting with gens.

To that end yeah competency stacks with survivors that's to be expected. Its why SWF teams out perform solo teams, they tend to coordinate their downtime better among other things.

Just because its possible for a single player to contribute a lot to the objective doesn't mean that survivor is essentially OP.

"Absent of a complete failure, I'm seeing this as way to much objective control for someone that only considers themself simi-decent as a survivor." This line is kind of the source. Its the killer's job to limit your capacity to contribute to the objective.

Its up to the killer to create that pressure and if they do so to 2-3 survivors it can be enough to render the efforts of the last 1-2 survivors mute, contributing or not.

What you have here is a measure of your own contribution and a speculation on what stacking that contribution could look like in game outcome but it fails to take into account the pressure applied by the killer which is also dictating how much time you have as a player to contribute to the objective.

You can't consider one without the other its only half of the story.

Some posters have already indirectly hinted at this by asking "what was the killer doing during this time?"

• DemonDaddy
    Options

I think the "without chase" is where Id struggle for the achievement

• DemonDaddy
    Options

I agree that the killer has that responsibility to spread the pressure. This is also where I think many complaints of killer tactics stim from; as some survivor would prefer the killer take that gamble of hunting the fresh and unseen teammate.

Heres my suvivor take to that point; I have some influence in how that gamble results for the killer. I think its on me the survivors to limit the killer by using stealth and breaking chase quickly. If successful, the killer sinks time to kick and search before returning to patrol thus halting momentum . Any mistakes on my part and the killer continues to gain the advantage of pressuring us. Engauging in chase while not always avoidable is my last case option for wasting the killer's time, I treat them as if every killer knows what they're doing until proven otherwise.

When I account for how the killer is occupying time, my line of thought is they are always using the fastest method for downing and eliminating teammates. Im sure they are not the top tier but they definitely arent twiddling their thumbs.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    edited December 2023
    Options

Fair enough. It only really holds true if the killer is doing as you say and pressuring at the upmost of their ability. If they are then really no more than 1 player should have a lot of time on gens.

Yeah players would prefer if killer hunted for fresh survivor every time but often that isn't a good way to pressure survivors unless they are being very overt in their actions making them easy to find and down in succession.

(edit for syntax I was typing like Yoda)

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,376
    Options

Sure you are. 😘

I suspected that but it was the first thing I noticed.

Also Mountain William? I am so going to shamelessly steel that name. 😈

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

As killer sometimes I feel as if survivors should be weaker in some way that doesn't make it unfun for them and doesn't make gens fly in exchange for scratch marks entirely. Make the game a real find and seek kind of game again.

I'd really need to think of what would need to be stripped, reworked, etc to make up for the lack of scratch marks, but I do know the biggest thing would be map design.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

I would really like to see the devs improve on skill checks during repairs. Wouldnt mind them make the act of repairing a little more focused and engauging so that there is a sense of effort or failures are a bit more than just bad timing. I think with that it would make the time between them more like a breather/ surroundings check for killers.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

Also a solid idea, I like that. Honestly when Skull Merchant showed up and had the arrow key inputs I got excited stuff like that would be used for survivor objectives.

• sulaiman
    Options

Yeah, he did it alone while his team took the chases and the hooks. Its not really hard to be on a gen while others occupy the killer.

But you cannot simply transfer that to other survivors, because they didnt have the freedom to do that. In the end, the team result is what matters, not who did how much about it.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

That really just means one of two things:

You were uninterrupted for prolonged times -- either because the killer does whatever or is kept busy by the other three survivors one way or the other.

Your team didn't touch gens -- either because they were doing whatever or because they kept the killer busy.

That is completely unrelated to how "OP" (or not) Solo survivor (or survivor in general) is.

• DemonDaddy
    Options

@sulaiman @Halloulle

Okay granted there are times teammates provide the time to do gens, I dont want it to seem like Im completely dismissive of that. However there are also clear times when it is solely my efforts which result in the time and continued ability to do a gen. Although I dont care much for the hud, it does tell me if a chase is active.

My best example and probably the nost common situation any survivor will face:

2 dead, 1 teammate and myself are left

The teammate decides that hatch is their best option and is going to hide until Im caught so they get a chance of free escape. I am not waiting for the killer to find either of us and just do nothing, lost cause as it is Im on a gen for the extra points. The killer now is not distracted and looking for any mistakes that leads into a chase. Not counting all the progression lost because of interruptions and regression that's one gen completely to my credit.

Now admittingly at some point I do make a mistake (hopefully not before Im done) or the gen popping gives away my location which brings the match to a close. Ideally I would like to outlive The Hiding teammate but that's about as easy as tanking a hit with no mither. The best case for survival in this scenario is Maybe that teammate waits too long in one location and the crows begin to appear.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 877
    Options

You're not completing the objective alone though. The objective is to escape. If you're completing multiple gens on your own your other team mates are distracting the killer long enough for you to do it. Are you taking chase, unhooking, rescuing, healing too? It doesn't seem like it. They're doing all that. Try coming off gens and focusing on that and see if you feel the same.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,181
    Options

In end killer gets 8 hooks but 0 kills and if other survivors did something they should at least get 4 almost 5 gens done but still die.

• sulaiman
    Options

Yes, but the issue is calling that killer op because he got 8 hooks.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675
    Options

I am just amazed games could go on that long with you getting in chases and side objectives (I know not always) and you somehow doing like 3 gens or something without the rest of the team just dying.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

.....that's actually an example for the point I was making though....? The one where your teammates don't do anything to be precise.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,725
    edited December 2023
    Options

I think a lot of it is that as solo queue, you tend to get matched up with people who are just obsessed with trying to do flashlight saves and otherwise just having their teammates go well out of their way to protect each other. That tends to leave you without much attention and actually doing the objective while the swf runs around acting all altruistic with each other getting all the attention. If you do end up getting hooked, they often only look out for each other.

• Crazed_rebelchic
    Crazed_rebelchic Member Posts: 13
    Options

I think I know what you're saying...

You, being 1 person can usually carry 75% of the objectives, along with also, unhooking, healing, and totem cleansing, all while teammates are losing chases and dying, until your alone... most often making it a rarity that you successfully escape.

Which in turn leads you to assume that a team with 3 to 4 survivors with your same simi-decent abilities would accomplish 100% objectives, aslong with 3 to 4 escapes...

but in reality, you're stuck in a " teeter-totting" mmr hole...

You have good objective and asymmetry skill sets, but due to your ability to be stealthy... you end up HINDERING your mmr.

Also, your escape rate is low (sux being the last survivor sometimes) but those two things are what's causing you to feel like your carrying your team... because you are carrying your team lol.

So, enhance your chase time and your escape rates and I promise... your opinion will change completely.

I play both sides and I honestly think "soloq" is the hardest but most rewarding part of dead by daylight.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,557
    Options