Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Which urban legend would you like to see in DBD?

Perhaps the first that comes to mind is Slenderman or Jack the Ripper, do you have a more original suggestion?

Comments

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 618
    edited January 15

Jack the Ripper wasn't an urban legend. He was real.

Cryptids count as urban legends, right? Flatwoods Monster.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,565

...Jack the Ripper is not an urban legend, eh? He was a real-life serial killer. It'd be a bit insensitive to glorify a man like that, no?

I think you mean "Jeff the Killer", from the now rather infamous creepypasta.

• BasementKing
    BasementKing Member Posts: 46

I apologize for any confusion. The term "urban legend" is sometimes used broadly and can encompass real events or figures surrounded by myths and legends. In the case of Jack the Ripper, although he did exist and committed a series of crimes in late 19th-century London, numerous myths and mysteries have surrounded his persona and actions. These aspects have contributed to making him part of the collective perception as a mysterious figure, which is sometimes referred to as an "urban legend"

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,514

I’d love to see La Llorona. Her crying could be a lullaby. And an original concept not the movie version.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,969

Would be cool to have the hook man legend in the game classic urban legend right there’s

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Man Door Hand Hook Car Door

• Coz
    Coz Member Posts: 67

El Chupacabra

Tokoloshe

Babayaga

could all be fun additions :)

• BasementKing
    BasementKing Member Posts: 46

Yaga is already in the game, but as a skin for the Huntress! And she is more of a character from slavic folklore😁

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,862

As has already been mentioned several times, Jack the Ripper isn't an urban legend. They've stated in the past that they will never use a killer based on real life in this game. Even one that has "numerous myths and mysteries have surrounded his persona". But I agree that actual folklore or urban legend type killers would be pretty cool. Bigfoot, chupacabra, slender man and such.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,855
    edited January 15

Slenderman perk - paranoia. Survivors will occasionally hear phantom killer sounds which could consist of a passing fake terror radius or passive killer sounds for the current killer (ie Myers heavy breathing or ghost face's cloak rustling).

Power - Lasting Pursuit. Slenderman moves very fast as long as he is not observed. Once he is observed, the killer cannot move. However, the longer a survivor observed Slenderman, static begins to quickly fill their vision that only slowly regresses when not observing the killer. If the static becomes too strong, the survivor will lose vision for 5 seconds due to the static. The Slenderman would no longer be observed at this point and can move in to strike. Getting hit will cause the static to quickly dissipate. Survivors that are both observing the Slenderman share static to avoid survivors being able to keep the killer observed over any extended period of time.

Essentially, the survivors POV will have the Slenderman following them but never see him actually move. Every time they glance back, he is that much closer. However they can only glance so much before their screen is filled with static and are in imminent danger. Teammate can help save a survivor from a chase by observing the killer when the other survivor is not, but the time it takes to fill the static is much faster than it takes to regress it.

• HerInfernalMajesty

Please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t TCM based off of a real family/events?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060
    edited January 15

based on real events =/= actually real events. This is a difference.

There will never be a non-fictional person as a Killer in DBD. If something is based on real events it is still fiction. (Most of the time things which are based on real events are also not completely the same, but just take inspiration from it)

• RpTheHotrod
    edited January 15

I remember there was some big runaway train movie. Lots of action, having to change the train track at the last moment to avoid another incoming train from hitting it, trying to slow it down on mountain curves so it doesn't derail, all sorts of crazy stuff. Was based on real events. The real event? A train rolled a few yards down the track at the train station, and the train people had to hop on to put on the brakes. Never even left the train yard.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Do you mean Unstoppable?

But yeah, there are some films with Runaway Trains, some of the RL-Events were harmless, some not so harmless. But most of the time the base which used for movies is just an inspiration and someone spins it further and creates the plot for the movie.

• HerInfernalMajesty

Gotcha. So then they will never put the actual Jack the Ripper in the game but it is possible for a fictional character based off of him to be in the game.

• RpTheHotrod

Jacques Ze Nipper

Runs around in a top hat and cloak and nips at you while you run.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,862

Took me way too long to figure out TCM = Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The character we know as Bubba was based loosely on the life of Ed Gein. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein If you look at the wiki, you'll see how loosely it is based. Really it just comes down to the use of human parts to construct things and that they are white men of questionable sanity/intelligence that live in rural US.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845
    edited January 16

I mean there are plenty to pick from, such as the following.

• Cropsey (Would love a chapter for the cult classic horror movie ''The Burning'' with that movie's iteration of Cropsey as a killer.)
    • Bigfoot/Sasquatch
    • Bloody Mary
    • El Chupacabra
    • Yeti
    • Flatwoods monster
    • Ke-alii-ai Kanaka (aka The chief who eats men)
    • Kuchisake-onna (aka The Slit-Mouthed Woman)
    • Spring-Heeled Jack
    • La Llorona
    • The Boggy Creek Monster
    • The Char-Man
    • Homey the Clown
    • The Goat Man of Pope Lick
    • Momo the Missouri Monster
    • Area 51
    • The Jersey Devil (Although bhvr did make their own Jersey Devil game long ago)
    • La Mala Hora
    • The werewolf of Defiance
    • The Bandage Man of Cannon Beach
    • The Bunnyman
    • The Loch Ness Monster
    • Mothman
    • Yowie
    • Aka Manto
    • Yōkai

Currently we only have Hag who is directly inspired by The Wendigo, Spirit + Oni being both directly based after their respective folklore/urban legends counterparts & Huntress who is mostly inspired after the Baba Yaga.

Post edited by Smoe on
  • AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,367

Yea, and like Clown is loosely based on John Wayne Gacy. He was an American serial killer who was also a clown.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Jack The Ripper would be fun to see

But then again the real life lore is cause for concern... he only attacked women, at night, in dark alleys

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

Why are people saying Jack the Ripper is an urban legend? He was real. That's like saying put the zodiac killer in the game. >.>

Urban legends are like the rake, the mothman, the hook, backseat killer etc.

Norman Bates was based off Ed Gein as well, how Gein had that obsession over his mother due to how she raised him. TCM was inspired by him as well but not as much at Bates.

I'd like to see the devils footprints, that one scares me lol.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,582

Sweeney Todd. Though the character is fictional, he was inspired by urban legends of pie shops killing people and using them as ingredients in mincemeat pies, crossed with an incident about a real-life murderous barber.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

and he sings.

it is required. I won't back down on this.

also, pretty sure there is no real life murderous barber. sweeney is just a character in a penny dreadful story from the 19th century.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

he wasn't a barber. just a cook.

but it's possible it's where the rumours came from.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,281
    edited January 17

1. slenderman
    2. skin walker
    3. wendigo

all i gotta say

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

Moth man!

• Interocitor
    Interocitor Member Posts: 148

Also Ghostface, the Scream character, was partly inspired by the Gainesville Ripper Danny Rolling. There are also similarities to the real case and the DBD character's lore too, with the GF mori being very similar to the real life killings, which could be a coincidence but I doubt it.

• LiveBritishReaction
    LiveBritishReaction Member Posts: 427

I wanna say Kuchisake-Onna but that was probably the inspiration for Spirit's design so that's a pipe dream.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

To be fair... the Doctor was based off a pretty bad person.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

As said before, "based off of" and the actual thing/person are not the same thing

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016
    edited January 18

I can see what you mean, but for the poll on the Chinese servers for what the killer should of been based off it was the actual name of the person they used Yang Yongxin

the old doctor map was even a Chinese hospital

he used electricity to "cure" kids of video game addiction.

also why feng was added

they even changed the doctor race (kind of a shame a blasian character would of been cool)

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 645

Candyman. Since the movie itself was actually based on a modern urban legend.

There is no “Insect” based killer. So a killer using insects would be nice. We have a killer that uses birds.

Give him the ability to slather honey onto objects. Generators, Hooks, Pallets, and possibly even Vaults.

Cabdyman’s second power is to summon a cloud of bees. The bees have their own radius in which they’ll make their way towards honey covered objects within the radius. They will sit over the objects for a time, consuming the honey. Then the bees dissipate with the honey.

If a survivor touches any object covered in honey they will get honey on themselves. They will begin to attract any bee clouds that they get near for a certain period of time.

If a survivor touches any honey covered object swarming with bees the survivor becomes swarmed.

If the bees swarm a player the bees will sting the victim. If the player gets stung for so many seconds they’ll lose a health state. “Shooing” the bees delays the timer in which the stinging persists until the effect ends.