When is Lobby Dodging Justified?

Options

I'm curious as to what you think, if anything, justifies it - unless you literally never have and never will dodge a lobby under any circumstances.

Please state your reasons and the POV you are speaking from (Killer or Survivor) along with a brief explanation if necessary.

Please keep the comments civil and respectful as I really want to hear from people who dodge on why they dodge, not why you think others do.

I'm hoping this thread will also be helpful for Devs to get a better idea of reasons and maybe we can find solutions other than not having a lobby at all.

I'll go first and for context I have 4,590 hours and only dodge for the reasons below based on my experience on how the match will likely play out.

Survivor POV:

• TTVs
  • 3 Flashlights
  • The words 'Toxic' or 'Troll' being in a DBD username or terms such as 'Simp for [Insert Killer name here]'
  • Keys 🔑

Killer POV:

• ANON players - they make me incredibly uncomfortable only as Killer and I honestly don't know why.

I have nothing against TTVs at all but they are usually targeted early and it leads to rage quitting, or them just being tunneled out. Oddly enough, I don't see this as much with ANON mode players.

If 3 flashlights are coming in, the survivors rarely touch gens and often waste time trying to blind a Lightborn killer, especially if there is a current Tome Challenge.

Toxic or Troll usernames - when someone tells you who they are, believe them.

Keys in my last several matches, before I dodged them, were always used to exclusively play for Hatch with teammates who would literally hide around the map, unwilling to unhook or repair at all. Their perks also indicated their intention after you see them post match. It doesn't help there are old Tome Challenges that ask you to open the Hatch with a Key.

Comments

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,248
    edited February 1
    Options

I only dodge if there are specific streamers in my lobby. Usually ones that are not self aware and more so middle tier. Other than that I usually don't need to dodge.

I don't dodge anon players - I feel like it's probably the best feature to deal with toxicity in this game. I shouldn't have random idiots visiting my profile because they're uber butthurt that the game didn't play out the way they wanted it. I don't care who you are, streamer, player or anything in between. I'll play how I want - I don't need your backseat gaming. I feel bad for console players though - I feel like they should also get anon mode. We can argue about subtle cheaters but plenty of people cheat even without anon mode and you'll never be able to tell - There just needs to be better tools to report and detect cheats.

I might dodge a flashlight lobby if I'm a low tier killer but only because I worry about the perk Background Player - in the hands of a good player this perk is a nightmare to deal with and to be honest I don't have a lot of time to play. I'd rather just enjoy my casual experience whether I win or lose without feeling like I'm playing a tournament.

That being said - I don't feel lobby dodging is justified at all. I just don't care - Just like the same mentality everyone in this game has if it doesn't affect me I don't care. The lobbies will fill up eventually so I won't complain.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,319
    Options

I usually dodge when there are multiple high prestige survivors in the lobby, especially if they are TTVs.

I know people will say "p100 doesn't mean skill" but in my experience it nearly always does. Any survivors who are p50+ are usually really good loopers who are way better than I am and when I do decide to give a lobby like this a chance, it nearly always ends up being a miserable game.

I'm not shopping for baby games, those games are miserable too, but if I can reduce my chance of going against WAY better players, then I'm gonna do that for my own mental wellbeing.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,100
    Options

I don't dodge - though I would understand dodging if you got someone with a public profile, you look at the profile and you don't want to be associated with that person in any way. - That could also be because the profile contains links to social media and there you find things that make you want to not have any contant, however brief, with that person. Those are also the people I usually promptly block just to prevent future match ups.

The other reason: you just made it to match lobby and the phone rings, the doorbell rings - that kinda stuff. But that's not really dodging, I guess.

• ThanksForDaily
    ThanksForDaily Member Posts: 1,287
    Options

As a survivor I dodge Leons, Jills, Claires, Cages, full bloody Megs, full bloody Neas becauce they have repeatedly proven that they don't last 10 seconds in chase against the entire killer roster.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 833
    Options

As a survivor, if I see any of my teammates as any of the 4 OG survivors in default or rift/giveaway outfits I will dodge so fast. Tends to be frustrating matches. Screams low MMR.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,826
    Options

We have ANON mode on Nintendo Switch. I believe, for reasons beyond me, that only XBOX doesn't have it.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

Unless you somehow know it's a cheater our answer goes to never.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

I don't dodge, but it's not a big deal for me if someone does, although it is annoying when someone dodges just before the game is about to begin.

One thing which is a bit annoying are the Prestiges still being shown and how some P100s (not the majority, just some) seem to bail if someone appears to have a low or zero Prestige. Especially considering it's probably those same P100s who end up first eliminated.

I understand this dodging may affect MMR and - in which case - there is a larger concern. It's just it doesn't irk me as much as others (which is absolutely their right and justification to be annoyed out, because if it does screw MMR then it's perhaps a large reason for mismatching).

Really, the only justifiable reasons are a) an internet or system error that boots you, or b) a real life situation comes up and you need to go.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

I rarely dodge, but sometimes usually cause I get nervous.

However most of the time I don’t because u don’t want a baby killer filling the shoes of what should’ve been my lobby.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,409
    Options

Would four minutes into Bohemian Rhapsody qualify as well?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    edited February 1
    Options

I never dodge unless I see a Survivor who I remember for being too selfish in the past. Like someone who let their team die in a previous game to get Hatch.

E.g. there is one particular player who my SWF-Mate and I remember. This person always kills themselves on the first Hook, they are playing normally, but once they are found and downed, they suicide on Hook. So you basically have to hope that they dont get found early or the game is over. So we just dodge this person whenever we end up with them in a Lobby. (Ironically enough, whenever we faced the same person as Killer, they usually camp and tunnel... Ruining matches as Survivor AND Killer is also an achievement...)

But other than those extreme cases, I dont dodge.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,274
    Options

Only time I dodge is if I see a steam player with Legacy/Code Exclusives who clearly didnt get it legitimately when looking at their profile.

Either that or I get the sudden urge to go to the bathroom

• JPLongstreet
    Options

You are correct, us on Xbox cannot use their Anonymous Mode sadly.

• JPLongstreet
    Options

I think I've dodged maybe five times ever, years ago.

Once I learned just how badly it messes up the matchmaking system I can't bring myself to do it. I firmly believe the resultant backfilling is the biggest issue with MMR we have, and is the leading cause of the grossly mismatched trials out there.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,925
    edited February 1
    Options

If I load into a lobby with four survivors readied up instantly.

It means I've been backfilled, no matchmaking has occurred. I'm just as likely facing low level solos as I am a bully squad. Someone is going to have a bad time.

Dodging that lobby shifts the problem to someone else, but at least it doesn't cause any new ones.

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 262
    Options

I hit search for match and pick up my phone. Never even pay attention to lobbies lol

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

The only instances I predictably lobby dodge in is if there are 3-4 TTVs. And I dodge those not because I think it'll be hard (I really don't mind losing), it's because when there are 3-4 of them in a single lobby, it's almost certainly coordinated and you can bet it's not going to be a "normal" game.

Some sort of dumb hijinks are going to ensue to entertain their viewers, and I'm usually just not there for it. I won't dodge these lobbies every time (sometimes I'm in a spicy mood), but most of the time.

The only other times I ever dodge is if I'm just chilling and/or doing challenges with a weak killer I rarely use, and get one of those insta-load backfill lobbies with all matching cosmetics, themed names, four flashlights, etc., and I am just like "nah, I don't want to do this right now".

But the overwhelming majority of the time, I don't even pay attention to who is in the lobby. I just queue up and look at my phone, surf the net, get a snack, etc. and don't tune back into the game until I see the match loading screen.

But really I don't have a huge problem with people dodging so long as their not full on shopping for favorable lobbies every time they play. In a heavy week for dodging I might dodge like 2-3 lobbies; some people dodge that many lobbies between every match.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 692
    Options

I almost never ever lobby dodge.

Although there are definitely some times that I've wished I dodged a lobby or two. Some examples:

On Survivor, if there are two or three very high prestiges in the lobby, I know the Killer will probably be top tier and very likely prepared to sweat. I've obviously been put in a SWF lobby where I do not belong just to make up the numbers.

If the matchmaking is instant, I also get very suspicious. I suspect the matchmaking is not even trying to find fair matches at this point and is just grabbing anyone in queue. Basically, one side is in for a very bad time.

I don't usually dodge TTVs, but I do feel a bit apprehensive going against them as Killer. I have no interest in being "content" and in my experience, they're more likely to be my least favourite kind of Survivor (but my build is ready for bully squads, so I don't dodge if I'm playing as my main). I might dodge a TTV lobby if I'm trying to learn a new Killer, though. I don't dodge obvious couples with weird creepy/cringe usernames, but maybe I should. Eww. But I will dodge any Survivor with an offensive, evil or disgusting troll bait name.

I should probably also dodge any Mad Hatter Aces or bunny Fengs, just for my own sanity. Those guys are the devil's spawn.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

4 medkits if you're playing Oni

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,123
    Options

As a killer, I don't dodge. I don't really care about your username, what items you're bringing, whether or not you're a coordinated 'want to win' SWF or just playing with friends and wanting to hang out, etc. I like challenges and tougher games = more experience and better way of learning. Plus I actually have to pay attention.

As survivor:

• if Michaela is on my team, dodge. Worst teammates to have in my experience so I just made it my lil rule to avoid them at all costs.
    • if I get put on a team with someone I played with before (who wasn't a good teammate), dodge.
  • crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

Never. If I leave a lobby its because something else came up. I rarely even look at the lobby and am instead looking at another screen.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,958
    Options

I forgot to select a tome challenge.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

If I just don't feel like facing the setup before me, knowing it'll either be A) More stressful than fun B) I know the players and/or C) a TTV.

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 533
    edited February 1
    Options

I never dodge but then I never really pay any attention to the lobby either. I pick killer or survivor get dropped in a lobby ready up & zone out usually on my phone until we're in game rarely even look at the offering screen.

Mmr sure needs work & might never actually work as intended no matter what they do, but it most certainly never do so until lobby is removed completely from game (if that ever happens) players on bith sides screw players on both sides dodging regardless what reason or excuse is given.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,285
    edited February 1
    Options

I never really looked at more than my latency, outside of the obvious (yes, as much as backfills suck they're usually not quite as bad as a fully afk player, so I will dodge if my phone rings in lobby, duh) I don't dodge. Looked at latency, picked build/add-ons/items then tab out until game start.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,787
    Options

I'll only dodge if I've played with them before and they were unpleasant.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,248
    Options

That's actually wild that Switch has it but honestly all platforms should have it. I feel bad for the amount of times I've read a post about a console user getting harassed in DM's just because they were playing a game or in some cases users abusing console reports to get people banned.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,115
    Options

I have a “never dodge under any circumstances” rule save for one exception.

If the player’s name is racist, homophobic, hateful or anything like that I will instantly dodge. I refuse to even play with people who show off such ugly prejudices.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,604
    edited February 2
    Options

In my case:

When playing killer

• TTVs.
    • Three or four clone survivors (sometimes when there are only two clones, but way less frequently).
    • Maps if playing Trapper (if they have the addon to see the killer belongings your power become useless).
    • "Toxic" names.

When playing survivor:

• There are a survivor or more with 100-150 hours or less.
  • CountOfTheFog
    Options
  • CountOfTheFog
    Options

What if they have the word 'Toxic' or 'Troll' in their names?

I personally don't think I've ever seen a name like you described, but if I did my reaction would be the same as yours.

Nice to be chatting with you again @HerInfernalMajesty 🤗 I always love seeing you in The Forums!

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

If I see a toxic name as a surv, I stay in the lobby and then sandbag/harrass the ever living ######### out of them. And then I report them.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

racist/controversial usernames guarantee its a troll

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 315
    Options

I don't dodge lobbys at all as killer, i only change my build if there are 3 flashlights. Other than that i see everything as a challenge, i'd like to play against tournament players more often just to see how good i really am

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,668
    Options

The only reasonable excuse to lobby dodge is if something comes up in RL imho. Anything else is just cowardice.

• JPLongstreet
    Options

When they first released Anonymous Mode it was active on Xbox too, for maybe two weeks or so. The way it was implemented apparently violated several of Xbox's player visibility policies, and was removed in the next patch. I believe they said it is not to return.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,604
    Options

No, because the toxicity is usually against the killer. 🤣

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,114
    Options

You can back out of a lobby all you want. As long as you play the matches you don't.

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

In my experience it's been against fellow Survivors.

The last time I played with one was a Vittorio.

We both spawned in the shack. He immediately threw down the shack pallet and vaulted it repeatedly. When the Killer came, he waves to them and points to me 🙄

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,090
    edited February 2
    Options

When the 4th member of your squad is on and you gotta back out and pick em up. Other than that, double what Dreamnomad said.

• The_Yosh
    The_Yosh Member Posts: 145
    edited February 2
    Options

I never used to dodge, and I still hardly even look at the lobbies now. I am usually on another screen or in the bloodweb or loadout screen. I also don't bother looking at profiles as killer or survivor.

However, as a Bubba main in a low population area (OCE), I will dodge if I have have versed the same group of people in a previous game. This happens regularly. One time I faced the same group of people 3-4 times because I kept getting thrown into their lobbies, no matter how many times I backed out.

I will dodge at other times, and that is when I am looking to have a chill game and I see that the group consists of 4 P100s, all with toolboxes or medkits. This is especially true when I am on a killer I barely play, or when completing an archive. Other reasons include them dropping a map with a ton of safe, connected pallets/windows, or invisible bumps (Springwood).

As a survivor, I never dodge. What I can say is that I WOULD dodge if I could see the killer ping. Like I said, I am from OCE, so we have a lot of SEA and VPN gamers in the area. The problem with this is that they have high ping and I constantly get hit through windows, and over pallets. It is especially noticeable when I play killer and barely miss a hit that I know would have easily connected with me because I have 25 ping.

Edit: With that being said, anytime there is a Russian name, or names that simply come up as boxes, I will dodge. They are definitely VPN, and will have ridiculous ping.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,762
    edited February 2
    Options

I always dodge this one anon mode ace who always sandbags and trolls and I always know it’s the same guy because he wears the same cosmetics and charms

wish you could avoid people

• blackfox0408_fr_
    blackfox0408_fr_ Member Posts: 79
    Options

I only dodge lobbies that have 4 toolboxes if i am playing casually, which means rarely, but the reason is that i don't want a game to last 2 minutes when i play casualy.

Never dodge anything else because it's a waste of time.