Why people don't bring ds nowadays?

Options

I really don't get it at all.

In one hand, we had lot of complain about tunnel more than before.

In another hand nearly nobody brings ds which is a perk being brings nearly every match before the changed.

But the changed itself doesn't effect anti tunnel at all.

So I don't really get it.

Just like if killer think the gens fly too fast,they will bring gen defense perk to help them.

Why survivors keep complaining about tunnel,but don't really bring something like ds rather than complaining to help themselves ?

Comments

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,342
    Options

DS is situational and doesn't do a great job at being anti-tunneling perk.

DS will help you in following situations:

• You get downed in a good spot (good window, great loop, something near you that can quickly follow and slowdown the killer)
    • Give extra time for your team to try to save you (like flashlight save, sabo, bodyblock, etc.) - this one is pretty limited tho in soloQ.

DS will not help you in any other case. If you get downed in the open or in a bad loop/window, etc. You will go down after like 6-10 seconds anyway. Also the stronger Killer you play againts, the less likely you will escape them fast enough. Killers like Nurse or Blight, Spirit, Chucky, Wesker, this perk will most likely help you the least since their power can really quickly catch up to you and down you.

• TheycallmeLix
    TheycallmeLix Member Posts: 334
    Options

I bring it every match cuz every killer I play against, they instantly tunnel someone out of the game. And ik people call the perk ‘bad’ but I get a lot of value every game and killers usually waste a lot of time chasing me and losing the game and they bm me on hook, and I just laugh it out 😂

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,428
    edited February 2
    Options

This ^^^.

it's not worth choosing this over something like off the record which protects you for over a minute after you're unhooked and then some

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Exactly that lol. I love how the killers trying to convince the survivors to use DS: " It's still good perk bro, just use it. I will catch you 5 seconds later but you got your second chance right? "

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 152
    Options

I have 3,4K hours of play, I consider myself a normal/decent (not the worst but not the best either🤣), recently I did an experiment using DS for about 15 days in each game.

You use the DS quite often (not always) and it gives a real advantage or possibility to undertake a long chase about once in 5 uses. As everyone says, it all depends on RNG and killer power. With nurse or blight you can be in the strongest loop of the game, DS won't help you that much. Likewise, if you don't have a window or pallet nearby, Pig and Trapper can also ignore DS.

Conclusions: Is DS a bad perk? No, it's a decent perk. Is DS a strong perk? No, there are better perks

(my opinion).

• satx3241
    satx3241 Member Posts: 82
    Options

DS is the one perk that most people find very strong that has simply always been a negative for me. I've tried many times just because I constantly see people talking about how great it is.

Almost every single time I've used it it's led to being tunneled out of the game immediately. While other people obviously have much better luck than I do with it for me DS may as well be called the game over perk.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,746
    edited February 2
    Options

In my opinion if you going to run DS u need sb. To many times you go down in unfavorable area and ds don't give u enough distance. The best thing about DS is resetting your exhaustion sadly.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,759
    Options

The three second stun doesn't get you very far. Especially against the likes of Nurses and Blights.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,060
    Options

The stun isn't worth the trouble of bringing.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,180
    Options

Average users regurgitate that DS is somehow a terrible perk just because it doesn't always guarantee value. If you know what you're doing DS can buy an insane amount of time for your team to do gens.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

A three second stun doesn't really do anything.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,065
    Options

Because it's #########

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,532
    Options

because I don't like ds.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,946
    Options

I run DS almost always and even if the killer tunnels me, I don't have much room to escape due to the 3 second stun duration. Not to mention one of those seconds go to the animation of me getting off of the killer's back.

The issue with DS isn't the fact that it doesn't give guaranteed value, but how ineffective it is when it actually activates.

Off the Record is the overall superior and more reliable anti-tunnel perk.

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690
    Options

Don't really see why someone would bring DS over OTR unless you are running DH. DS is terrible vs the top killers and OTR's silencing effect is amazing vs killers like Nurse or Spirit.

• Saiph
    Saiph Member Posts: 294
    edited February 2
    Options

DS is a good perk, but it only works against a tunneling killer, and if I'm playing against one I'd rather just get out of this match quickly. So DS is kind of a wasted slot.

This is also why people don't bring OTR, Reassurance, etc. These are perks that are strong in certain scenarios, but you don't want to deal with these scenarios anyway. In solo queue, you're not going to win against the types of killers that use these strategies, regardless if you have DS+OTR etc. It's more pragmatic to just accept the L and prepare a build for non-sweaty matches.

From the killer's perspective, I get it that DS looks very strong, as it delays your chase. But from the survivor's perspective, especially solo queue, they see that every time DS activates, they still end up dying in the match, just 1-2 minutes later.

Post edited by Saiph on
  • KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 158
    Options

From my experience, DS is pretty inconsistent in value. You go down somewhere that has pallets or windows and you have something to work with after stunning the killer but if there is nothing then all you did was waste a few seconds for the killer. I do want all perks to be usable both for killer and survivor but DS feels incredibly hard to balance with how it's designed.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,390
    Options

Because DS doesn't really protect you that much when you use it. It gives critical time to other survivors, but if you're playing soloq, its still going to get you eliminated. Compare this to OTR that gives stealth and anti-aura reading on top of its ability to tank a hit.

Basically: it's not going to stop you from being tunneled, it might give the other survivors time to escape, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything to a lot of players.

• BlackMindPrime
    BlackMindPrime Member Posts: 7
    Options

It was more useful when you could run out the gates in the killer face. Now when the exit gate turns it off it lost al lit's usefulness.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    Options

That's the least significant part of the nerf, and any future buff will still have the end game deactivation, I'm sure. I'm sure it got some people's little rocks off to flip that middle finger at the killer on the way out (and boy was it hilarious to drop a mori on those people in the exit gate), but the real utility of DS is in the stun duration and extending chase, and how much time it can buy you in the middle of the match, when it matters the most.

As it is now, the stun is too short to be useful unless you get picked up in just the right spot.

• BlackMindPrime
    BlackMindPrime Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2
    Options

you could have just kept scrolling. It didn't really need another "stun too short" response. We've established the stun is too short in like 8 different posts by like 8 different people. All I was adding to the conversation is that I liked when you could run out in the killer's face.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,045
    Options

DS is one of those perks that is really focused on one particular purpose, but then does a pretty bad job at fulfilling that one purpose.

Which is pretty common for survivor perks, to be fair.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    Options

No, you said it was more useful when you could do that, but it wasn't, really. If they added that part back in but kept the three second stun, it'd still be largely useless.

The entire crux of the perk's usefulness is the stun duration, and though it's a dead horse, it's one that needs to be beaten in any conversation about it, if we're pretending that anyone on the dev team is actually listening.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 842
    Options

Personally I run ds alot. It's not strong on its own for sure. But I run it with DH and OTR to compensate it ls weakness because I genuinely just hate being hard tunneled.