Does this game even have matchmaking?

Options
I_CAME
I_CAME Member Posts: 1,149
edited February 6 in General Discussions

I feel like it's worse than it has ever been. I tried to jump back into solo queue today after mostly playing killer for the past month. I am currently on by far the biggest survivor losing streak in my 4000+ hours of DBD. My last three games were a 4900 hour wraith, a P100 Oni, and a P100 Spirit. All running full meta. How does this make any sense? Is it the hour I play at? If I am getting demolished this much then shouldn't I theoretically get matched with low MMR killers who just installed the game? Is the matchmaking just completely non functional in the morning/afternoon? Do I have to play at 5-10 PM every day for the matchmaking to do anything? Are there just not enough players left for the matchmaking to function properly?

Edit :

game 4 - Meta blight who hard tunneled AFK teammate out immediately. Everyone gave up.

Comments

• mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options

Once in a blue moon

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,272
    Options

The MMR decay in this game is way too slow

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 743
    Options

I play morning and around lunch. It’s a free for all. All I know is if a p100 whatever-killer queues up, I’m insta in that lobby along with a bb Feng and a meghead.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,073
    Options

As long as matchmaking is prioritized to place people in lobbies quickly, it'll never be good at creating fair lobbies.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    edited February 6
    Options

1. If you're playing off peak times, then likely no, matchmaking "gives up" after a certain amount of time to make sure you're not waiting forever for a match that isn't available at your MMR.

2. Backfilling exists. If someone drops out of a lobby, it will attempt to fill that spot with anyone, with no consideration to matchmaking. If it's the killer that dodges the lobby, then what you've experienced is very likely. Watch the tally in the bottom-right of the lobby screen. If the killer drops out, you're better off requeuing.

3. There is no MMR decay. Instead, MMR recalculations become more generous the longer you're away from the game. I.e. if you play every day then your day to day MMR changes will be small. But if you don't play for a long time and then lose your first game when you return, your MMR will decrease by a larger amount.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,394
    Options

I think one of the biggest and most prevalent issues surrounding matchmaking is lobby dodging. As long as this persists and they prioritize quickness over fair matchmaking, the system will never work properly. I believe they should hide names and prestiges from the killer in the lobby and either some sort of disincentive to dodging or even remove the option all-together (not sure if this is even possible, people will just quit out the app, which is why disincentivizing is the more logical solution). But as long as lobby dodging is a thing (and it frequently happens) matchmaking will never work properly.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,986
    edited February 6
    Options

I think if the 'role in need' is the one being backfilled, then it should apply standard matchmaking rules. The time to fill the role in need should be fast anyway so it shouldn't need to expidite it. The role in need is also likely to be the one dodging lobbies as well, due to their fast queues.

Besides that though, I wouldn't be against a minor penalty such as:

• Dodging your third lobby in a row triggers a recurring 5 minute matchmaking penalty.
    • Completing a trial resets the penalty.
  • GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I don't think it changes much, to be honest.

You can join an empty lobby, watch the four survivors joining and still have an extremely unbalanced game where one side is clearly better than the other.

The system itself doesn't work, and I think that is the issue.

• Nebula
    Options

Very fair, there are definitely multiple issues at play when it comes to their SBMM. I think a part of the issue is that they hyperfixate a little too much on trying to make sure their kill rates are at 60%. Foregoing proper balance in every match to make sure they stay near or at that benchmark. You'll win 3-4 in a row in a certain role just for them to almost guarantee you get stomped in your next match or two to bring you back down. It's a perceived balance, not truly balance. Most games with MMR you will find you have about a 50/50 shot to win every game, DbD, not so much.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    edited February 6
    Options

I agree about the hyperfixation with a 60% kill rate. I'd like to see the idea of the power role revised. They seem to get too caught up in being asymmetrical and lose sight of the PVP aspect. It's not less of a power role if kill rates are closer to 50%. The single player still has the ability to defeat 4. That is a power role. It's a PVP game, not a power fantasy.

It feels contrived when matchmaking seems designed to target a kill rate. That's backwards. Matchmaking should be accurate and the kill rate should happen naturally as a function of that. Matchmaking shouldn't be used as cover for balance issues. And that's what it feels like is happening in many matches. It often feels like your own gameplay has zero bearing on the outcome on survivor.

• saym
    saym Member Posts: 82
    Options

It's exactly as you say. In other words, as I've been saying for a long time, it's not that the game needs to be balanced first, but that it's important to match players with similar skills. But developers keep ignoring it.

• Nebula
    Options

Completely agree, there's no point in having a SBMM system if you are forcing outcomes instead of allowing them to happen naturally. If they simply allowed the system to work naturally, they could actually get a clear view of what killers are struggling and which are outperforming on average. More meaningful balance decisions could be made and there would be less disconnect between the playerbase and the developers.

• drakonukaris
    drakonukaris Member Posts: 129
    Options

Matchmaking has felt pretty terrible, even during peak times. You escape 1 game and suddenly you are vs P100 blights and nurses.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 261
    Options

This is my theory: it's getting worse because the player count keeps dropping. Steamcharts player count is at its lowest in 4 years. There are fewer players in total, meaning there are fewer players within the different pools of MMR scores, thus it's becoming harder for the matchmaking system to find "good" matches within the time limit. The matchmaking system then has to expand the range of MMR scores it will allow to match together, allowing for a bigger range between the highest and lowest MMR in a given match.

Let's also not forget that this SBMM system has always used the terrible metrics of kills and escapes as the sole determinants of "skill". This has always been a major part of the problem.

• TWS001
    TWS001 Member Posts: 125
    Options

There is no consistency at all. I play probably 80% survivor and some days you get games constantly with survivors who are totally useless and just refuse to do anything sensible or helpful to the team. Then you can play the next day and every game is a close one. Decent teammates everything, every match gets to endgame even if the killer is very good.

When I play killer I can literally play against constant SWFs who are pulling off every trick in the book, play against Ayrun and get one hook if I'm lucky against the team or, like the other day, can play 5 games in a row against survivors that you wonder if they are holding their controllers upside down or are playing their first ever match with level 0 Megs and no perks. In those 5 games, a total of 2 gens got done and I was using non meta builds to do old archives.

I could probably play tonight and the complete opposite will happen, one kill if I'm lucky and lots of teabaging and people beckoning me to chase them around the map!

You never know from one day to the next what level your games will be.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    edited February 6
    Options

I don't necessarily have issue with kills and escapes being the basis for MMR. It's a relative rating over hundreds of games. A better killer is going to have a higher relative kill rate over hundreds of games than a less skilled player vs common opponents. You can get really granular with chase time and whatnot, but those things are ultimately going to correlate to kills and escapes.

I think their biggest issue was implementation, and that has caused the slow bleed in player count. They didn't want to split the playerbase by introducing separate queues. But they already split the playerbase in terms of attitude just by introducing MMR. You have players sweating for an invisible number in the same queue as players playing casually. That immediately introduces frustration and chaos in the system.

Many players don't want to have to sweat for zero reward. But that's what SBMM introduced. It's not just BHVR. Asymm devs get incredibly goofy when it comes to player behavior. They think they can say "don't do that" and cross their fingers that players won't sweat or be competitive instead of designing a system that accommodates and tries to separate casual players from competitive players. Otherwise you get a single system that nobody is really happy with.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

Is the MMR system still solely based on kill/escapes?