why is the player base decreasing?

Options

Taking Steam data, the player base continues to decline. I know Steam doesn't count consoles and I'm not saying dbd is dying. But why?

The game is much more balanced now than 2-3 years ago, killers are very solid and viable (except for a few), there are many balanced maps (except for a few), many "broken" strategies no longer exist...

In theory the player base should increase and not decrease.

Some people will now say "there are no new game modes"... "lights out" had literally no effect on player numbers.

your opinions?

Comments

• mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options
  • GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 848
    Options

Sure the game may be the most balanced but still killers seem to struggle. Survivors have seen the deletion of BNP, medkits, MFT, PT and either FTP or BU in the future while killers haven gotten better gen defense back and yet gameplay still leads to the same least riveting experience.

Not many people are having fun.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited February 12
    Options

Personally i think there are many reasons. These are the most significant ones.

A) The game is 7-8 years old. Not many games can actually survive that long. Most games will become stale after such a long run.

B) DBD is running out of absolutly top licences. While Chucky and Alien were very good licenses, they could not create a hype like others did. Remember back when Stranger Things came to the game? Or Myers? Or Pyramid Head. Everybody was super excited. Maybe the marketing was not as good as it was, i can not tell.

C) The game is more ballanced in the SWF vs Killer department. The issue is, BHVR decided to make killer strong enough to compete with SWF to make killer more happy. But with that, they made survivors overall, especially solo players more unhappy.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

The game is much more balanced now than 2-3 years ago..,

While I agree with this statement, I have to say that 2018 was dbd at it's peak (imo). Yes there was a lot of busted stuff such as, release MoM, instant DS skill check on the obsession without being hooked, OG Nurse and Spirit, OG Ruin, Killer's weren't tunneling and camping as hard as they are now, killers able to grab survivor's from the hatch.

DBD in 2024 it's not necessarily the balance, but the experience for either side isn't engaging or fun.

Survivor: Despite that I find survivor completely boring to play weather I'm solo or swf, there's nothing unique about the role or characters. It's just hold M1 with occasional skill checks, Ring O Pallet, and trying not to get camped/tunnelled out

Killer: How quickly gens can get done and regression/slowdown not being enough makes you feel like you have to play scummy and tunnel someone out as quickly as possible so that you can at least enjoy the match.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

The numbers been hovering around 30k pretty consistently.

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 487
    Options

Over multiple years, DBD at least (!) has 30k players on steam.

• Interocitor
    Interocitor Member Posts: 141
    Options

The game has been consistently in the top 25-50 games on Steam, which is not bad for a very niche and janky game that is over 7 years old. At this point I assume the majority of people who would be interested in the game has already played it. Also the ones who left probably wouldn't be brought back by minor balance changes, it'd take a huge overhaul in terms of gameplay, graphics, UI, etc.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,199
    Options

Sure, absolutely. The people and feelings you’re talking about are also another reason. 100% agree.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    edited February 12
    Options

When DBD survived the absolute dive in numbers from year 5 I’ve become convinced the game can’t die.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,394
    Options

It's definitely a mix of a bunch of things. People quit games for a myriad of reasons, it's super hard to pinpoint a single thing for why people want to stop playing, as it can often be a mix of a bunch of different reasons and feelings.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

Ive gone basically a month without this happening, and if it has then I dont remember it because Im not gonna get personally offended by a kid going "gg ez" or say some other generic insult in an chat that I know I can disable if it makes me that upset.

• Nebula
    Options

I would recommend turning either your messages off, or disabling the end game chat. Play how you want to play and find your own enjoyment with that.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    Options

I understand that. I get the argument that you can’t change other people so just have thick skin and ignore it. I mean what else can we do. But politeness and respect really do go a very very long way when it comes to maintaining the health of a community.

It’s easy to say feelings don’t matter, only controlling your own. And there’s truth to that. But feelings do kind of matter and it may seem like a thankless job to be considerate of feelings but it is something we can be better at (obviously within reason). Trash talk will always exist. The quantity and intensity of negativity seems like it will always exist. But I truly believe that wholesomeness, consideration and respect are the necessary counter balances to that negativity.

We take and leave the things that we want.

• Nebula
    Options

I very rarely get these as well (funnily, I get more playing survivor than killer) but I've been going with the "kill them with kindness" route and it's pretty funny to either see people completely 180 and try to say something nice, or just get more frustrated that they didn't get the salty response they wanted.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    edited February 12
    Options
  • GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 848
    Options

I can't remember the last time I had any of those happen.

I notice players seem to latch on negativity from survivors like it's a huge problem but for as long as I've been playing so sort of interactions seem like outliers.

• JudithMorel
    JudithMorel Member Posts: 562
    Options
  • Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Because they keep trying to balance the game. And it's making it less a party game and more something that will become a husk of itself. No one wants to play with a husk. Factor in the terrible killer Meta and survivor issues, and you dont have much of a good thing left.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 188
    Options

It really is not.

https://steamcharts.com/app/381210

Nothing here suggesting anything declining wise. Same patterns for summer/holidays

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

If you quit the game then why are you still here? Its like going to a baby shower just to tell everyone how much you hate kids

• Nebula
    Options

That's not at all what they implied or said, and your analogy doesn't work either. It would be more like going to a baby shower after deciding not to have kids yourself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,269
    Options

A lot of really great and super popular games have come out recently like Palworld so my guess is people are just playing other games right now.