What have you learned when playing Lights out?

Options
jamally093
jamally093 Member Posts: 1,546

So I tried the new mod not to long ago and learned a few things one survivors really don't understand to check the environment while working on gens main example facing a ghost face easily catches them off guard as they don't bother looking around since even though YOU can't see them the game still registers the fact you technically are.

But anyways with this new game mode what have you learned while playing.

Comments

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I learned that Sadako is way more viable on sneak attacks without the lullaby. Seriously. Survivors have enough time to run to somewhere safe as you manifest if they react accordingly. I always suspected as much but playing it, it's night and day.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

People tend to run like headless chickens even more without windows~

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,212
    Options

Knight is scary.

And I don't mean that in terms of strength, I mean in terms of horror. I honestly had not paid attention to his contribution towards the game's atmosphere until Lights Out.

Spawning guards from the darkness and catching survivors off-guard has been an amazing experience.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

I learned how much of an advantage is to have TR active in normal matches.

• Nos482
    Nos482 Member Posts: 29
    Options

The zombies that keep Nemesis company (Colin and Maureen) are still just as useless. However you can't see what they are stuck on.

• AzshFayd
    AzshFayd Member Posts: 37
    Options

you still can't trust the Mikaela players to ever do something useful

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

That the game can still be scary, but most people don´t seem to like scary.

• Zarzunabas
    Zarzunabas Member Posts: 4
    Options

Far to many players rely hearing on the terror radius and play rather poorly without certain perks (PRIMARILY WoO).

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,936
    Options

The game is really fun with a barebones approach without any perks and just skill.

Most players rely a lot on the terror radius and you can basically get gen grabs with basically every killer, no matter how big and stompy

Most casuals abandon this game mode pretty fast and the callout 4-SWF deathsquads seem all thats left, eager to write their "Lol, GGEZZZZZZZZZZ" as soon as possible

a lot of M1 and subpar killers are suddenly viable and so much fun

this game mode could be really good with some small changes; tunneling is really unfun, but survivors can disapper like smoke just by existing and turning a corner. Maybe we could give survivors some basekit anti tunneling DS or something and give killers some info upon hooking a survivor; not aura reading, but maybe a notification which gen they should check out next, just to point them in the right direction and peel them away from the hook.

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436
    Options

BHVR never fails to disappoint.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,328
    Options

I like seeing things. Although, I already suspected that.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 833
    Options

Game mode didn't really allow killer diversity. All I saw was Myers and Ghostface...two killers who have jumpscare in their kit. Found it rather boring.

• GRIG0
    GRIG0 Member Posts: 271
    Options

- That I miss darker maps more than I thought

- I enjoyed stealth killers as never before

- Many times when I drop a chase because I go for jumpscares, survivors end up running into me again 🤣

- How fun this game can be when we don't sweat

- I suck at tracking players, can't play without my "discordance" and "Nowhere to hide" 😭 (jk, it's been super fun)

- Not being able to see hook states somehow made me less stressful?

- Not worrying about perks and items is a blessing, I can't stand flashlights as either role because they tend to throw the game and I don't like it.

- How thankful survivors are when they get a killer that doesn't tunnel/proxy camp. I know there are salty ppl on both sides no matter what, but I am very happy because I mostly got nice endgame chats whether I lost or won due to my chill nature as killer.

- Survivors love being scared more than I thought LMAO

I haven't played as survivor because I already know what's gonna happen and I'm burned out of that role, so I can't give feedback.

• GeneralV
    Options

I got jumpscared by one of his zombies appearing from the darkness, it was amazing.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 692
    edited February 13
    Options

Facing The Wraith feels exactly the same way as in the normal game mode (in other words, he's just as tedious. Not a big fan of this Killer).

Survivor is essentially impossible to play when you can't see any loops, structures or tiles.

Sound is more important in this game than I realised. Since it's the only information available to players (and I don't use headphones to play for my own reasons), I've struggled to find gens or track Survivors in this mode. So I've come to realise that hearing sound is probably a big advantage in the main game as well.

Outside of increasing an invisible MMR ranking that I'll never see, winning at DBD doesn't mean all that much and offers you no reward for doing well. But for a substantial part of the player base, winning by any means necessary is what's fun to these players. Adding a silly time limited casual mode like Lights Out to the game won't do anything to change the attitude of these players. Some players will use any advantage that they're given, regardless of the original intentions of the game mechanic. Reducing visibility was meant to make the games feel spookier, but some Killers only used the mechanic to camp and tunnel more effectively.

Lights Out is probably a lot of fun to play with friends, but for me it was Solo Q on hard mode with all the frustrations that come along with that. So I've come to appreciate med kits and self healing perks even more so than I did before (I was only lucky enough to find one med kit in any of the games that I played). I'm going to be a Self-Care enjoyer for life now.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,138
    edited February 13
    Options

The new mode was a big case of "You think you do but you don't."

Lights Out sounded like a good idea and turned out to be a complete disaster. It will never work with how the playerbase plays every game like their life is on the line.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,762
    Options

I learned that if lights out was how the game naturally played it would’ve died 3 months later In 2016

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Survivors that are gen efficient can still win in a killer favoured game mode.

Knight's basekit is pretty woeful. Map of the realm and dried horsemeat need adding

Legions are just as annoying in lights out as they are in regular matches.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 521
    edited February 13
    Options

Fun for a while! I made a post about it, but if the mode had perks and add-ons I think it would be much more interesting, as there'd be a pretty big meta shakeup I imagine. Still, cool idea, I'm down with it showing up for a week every few months, maybe with a few tweaks to keep its reappearance fresh.

More importantly, more modifiers in the future please!

As for the actual question, I definitely learned how to better track survivors by sound, and that Ghost face is one of the most fun killers in the game with the reveal mechanic much harder to use for survs.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,385
    Options

Playing without perks is fun actually when you know the opponent(s) also dont have any.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,780
    edited February 13
    Options

solo q could be worse...

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

They're in for a treat when they get thrown back into the regular game with inflated MMR due to them playing this killer sided event, and getting pwnt lol.

Wait for it, there's gonna be a buncha posts complaining how OP survivor is in the regular mode once they can't tunnel and have the gen aura hold their hand as well as it does in lights out.

• GeneralV
    Options

Actually, what happens in Lights Out stays in Lights Out.

The event doesn't change your MMR.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 188
    Options

Yea unfortunately/fortunately your MMR wont change based on any results in lights out. I threw a bunch of games that I two hooked everyone, which thankfully wont effect my MMR.

But the tunnel/camp guys ... yea nothing will happen to them.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,387
    Options

That terror radius is a very necessary mechanic for the game.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

That a Killer tierlist would be harder to make. Killers like Nurse and Blight can suffer a bit, blinking or bouncing into darkness makes them a little trickier, whilst Doctor and Myers become a fair bit stronger.

The game - for me at least - is just so much more enjoyable and feels like a survival horror game again. Being perkless really does balance things out

• saym
    saym Member Posts: 82
    Options

MMR lol...

Is there anything more pointless than arguing about things you can't see?