What Do You Think Trapper Needs?

Options

Aside from better grass, of course.

I always find it interesting how there are so many different directions I've seen Trapper taken in possible reworks, ranging from small changes like undetectable at trial start, or covering traps in map-appropriate camouflage, to more drastic things like emphasizing his connection with the Entity in various ways as a sort of power up, or giving him entirely new kinds of traps. One direction I've been fond of myself is the idea of emphasizing his overwhelming physical strength in the form of either a short range special attack used more to knock survivors in a certain direction--towards trapped areas, ideally--or a special install state he gets from exerting his presence over survivors in his TR, allowing him to grab and strangle survivors as a sort of infrequent instadown. (This idea is admittedly inspired in no small part by the For Honor collaboration representing him with the pugilism-centric Centurion.)

Do you think he needs any new abilities or traps, or do you think there are just some smaller tweaks they could implement to improve the direction of his kit? Do you want them to add some further layer of counterplay alongside a new mechanic, if you're one of the people who find him especially boring to go against?

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,131
    Options

I don't think Trapper does need better grass, personally. Think about it- that means one of two things. Either every future map needs to bend around having consistent dark grass no matter what the aesthetic is, just for one killer's power, or every future map is going to have specific dark patches that are basically neon signs saying "Traps here!"

Rather, I'd sooner see his traps get changed to better fit in with the design of each map, as you alluded to in the post. That's a good start, that helps him, but he'd need a few more things.

First, adjust trap spawns again. What he has isn't actually that bad, but it could be improved. Have the traps spawn on the same side of the map as him, trending towards the centre, so he doesn't have to lose specific traps due to them being on the other side of a giant map or anything. I'd also suggest having them spawn in regular trap spots so you could choose to just arm them and move on, but that'd probably require lots of manual effort for each map, so I understand that's not very feasible.

Second, make traps automatically re-arm if he grabs a survivor out of them. Hitting a survivor is quicker and applies basic attacks, but would now leave the trap closed, whereas grabbing a survivor would be slower and open the trap up again. Just... some reason to use that interaction that isn't bloodpoints, is my thought.

Third, do an addon pass more geared around giving him interesting effects that aren't just status effects. For instance, a high rarity addon that gives him Undetectable when a trap is disarmed, or when he sets one. Things like that. Funky effects he could play around more, instead of flat buffs to his current gameplan.

That's about all I'd suggest to start. If you want crazy wacky stuff, I did once propose that Trapper force every map to have thick ankle-height fog to better hide his traps, but that would have some logistical concerns, so I don't tend to suggest it too seriously lol.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,251
    edited March 13
    Options

Both ultra rares in his base kit and start with all traps on him. That might sound very extreme, but that's how bad he is. I won't play him unless I'm running both, it just makes him playable.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 196
    Options

I guess I've never thought about how it'd hamstring map design. I have, before, suggested making traps somewhat transparent, so they would naturally blend in, and maybe they get harder to see the farther from a trap you are, but I don't know how you'd explain that as not totally just magic and also if I like the idea of removing a survivor's ability to spot a trap from afar. I more like the map-specific foliage idea.

I always feel iffy about more major changes to power concepts--bar Nemesis--because my issue isn't that I dislike Trapper's general gameplay or some of his technical simplicity, it's more that I think his power fails to represent his character in any interesting way. He just doesn't feel like the physical apex enforcer he is in his lore and is more... The guy with traps. Which, yeah, is the name, but it just seems a little weak, right?

I don't like this idea on several levels. I like the idea of folding them in partially, but more likely IriStone's effect should trigger when you damage a survivor--rewarding good chasing rather than just sitting around. Having him start with every trap just incentivizes setting up a 3gen even harder. I prefer the idea of checking a locker to get the farthest trap from you on a cooldown, if you want to give him that consistency, or just improved trap spawn logic.

• Blueberry
    Options

The problem with your proposed change is it would still leave him as very weak.

• arcaneGospel
    Options

What makes these changes not enough, though? They still help cover his weaknesses without, you know, removing them entirely, making him bland? A killer should have flaws and things that can be punished, you know.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,205
    Options

All traps should spawn on the map already armed.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,327
    Options

Complexity. They will never find the sweet spot where Trapper will be strong but also fun to play against otherwise. He pretty much needs the Billy treatment. Some kind of second ability or whatever to help him out.

You can add more grass of course, but then we're only going back to invisible traps, which makes him pretty terrible to play against.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

Trapper literally only need grass, but new realms/maps keep having less and less.

Second ability: spend extra time to actual put grass on top of the already setup traps.

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 643
    edited March 13
    Options

Imo Trapper is only usable with his add on that harms players that disarm his traps.

Disarming Trapper’s traps trigger a skill check when the bar fills.

If a survivor gets a great skill check there is no notification to Trapper, and they get double BP. If the survivor fails they disarm the trap, but will lose a health state. If they’re injured they suffer from Deep Wound. The survivor will scream, and give away their position when they fail.

Change his Iri add on to losing a full health state if you fail while you’re injured instead of getting Deep Wound.

This update would work in conjunction with Trapper’s perk. So it makes sense. Huntress Lullaby would become really strong for him. Making it difficult to disarm his traps without some consequence.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
    edited March 13
    Options

Alternative to grass, if his traps had a colour pallet that matched the realm he was in, that would help.

On a map like Midwich, where it's small, has nice doorways, a small number of entrances on esch room, dark, and his traps match the colour pallet, Trapper can actually do work, especially if he is running bloody coil.

However fundamentally Trapper's problem is the pace of the game has left him behind. He's a slow start set up killer, but his power is not especially strong to reward that set up, and is too easy to counter either by disabling the trap, or by just running around it. He still relies on very specific survivor mistakes to really do anything, and basement is his only real place where his power truly comes online.

You could load buff after buff after buff on him, like basekit Bloody Coil, Trapper's Bag, Secondary Coil/4 Coil Spring, Serated Jaws, and he'd still come up short, likely become extremely unfun to face.

If we accept he's never gonna be top tier, and focus on just making him as fun to play as possible, 2 changes I would like on him: -

• 3 traps carry capacity basekit. (Starting with 2 is fine).
    • Allow him to grab a trap from a locker on a 45s cooldown, which will despawn the furthest unset trap from him in the map.

Would at least make it so you can trap on the go, and still have a trap on hand at all times to lock down a loop when you need to.

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

As others have said, his traps should match the Realm the match is being played in. And this without the use of an Add-On (Tar Bottle should be reworked to something different).

So if you play on The Game the Trap is grey, if you play on Eyrie it is in the same color as the ground there, etc... Would just help to use more spots where the Traps blend into the environment.

Other than that, I dont think he is in such a bad spot. Because in the end, he is the first Killer and you can only get this far with such a simply ability. The Killer who places Traps will never be as strong as Nurse or Blight or even (high) A-Tier Killers. This is just the reality.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,248
    edited March 13
    Options

Two types of Traps - One that's good with planning ahead (Current) and a new trap that's able to be used in chase but isn't oppressive. The reason there should be two is so they can be adjusted separately because I feel you can't find a sweet spot just balancing one trap. Without traps set up for a chase Trapper just has to rely on m1 and perks. I know with a trap set he can be super oppressive but that's why I feel two types traps would help alleviate this issue.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,327
    Options
  • Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,073
    Options

Make Iridescent Stone basekit.

Replace Iridescent Stone with Incendiary Stone that explodes when stepped on, launching the survivor into the sky and put them into the dying state when they land.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

As others have said traps need to match the map they are in

And he needs something to stop basement trapper being so prevalent. Maybe making recently unhooked survivors step over traps? If that is done we can easily buff him further with stuff like haste when a survivor is trapped

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

I really like that idea. Giving him Haste when a Survivor is trapped would be nice. The only thing that would be really annoying is if you get chased by a Trapper and a teammate steps into a Trap. Then you are basically dead because your teammate was dumb.

But the general concept is great and it would help him to actually get to the trapped Survivor before they can escape.

And I am also all for removing Basement-Trapper. This is just annoying and should not be in the game.

• TerraEsram
    TerraEsram Member Posts: 571
    Options

A gun

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

Yeah almost making trapper into a power burst killer where if someone steps into a trap he can either quickly run over to get the trapped survivor or finish off his current chase much easier.

Maybe slap on some action speed too to give him the power to rip through pallets and windows

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 691
    edited March 13
    Options

I'd like to see grass spawn on indoor maps (as well as on maps that usually don't spawn grass like Eyrie of Crows) or at least make traps more difficult to see on these maps. Getting sent to the Game with Trapper is one of the worst experiences you can have as Killer in DBD.

Other than that, I would probably make Trapper bag and Bloody Coil basekit.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

1 additional traps until his kill rate becomes 60%+

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,244
    Options

Trappers core design will always be annoying for survivors because if you walk into a trap in chase you just go down, and as his main thing is to make them not visible it feels unfair almost every time. On the other hand playing against people who play correctly and constantly disarm your traps makes you feel like man with machete...

I would just make it so traps have more camouflage, maybe even somewhat sink in in the ground, not entirely, but some part, therefore not being as reliant on grass... Hopefully giving survivors a change to spot them outside of grass but at the same time making it not overly easy to see them like a neon sign as currently on some maps.

Then make it so he can grab traps out of lockers, because I think having all at once gives issues that Otzdarva explained in all detail...

Give him also the ability to remove a trap from a distance, so it does not happen that a trap you wished to keep gets removed if you get new ones out of a locker.

If this is not enough maybe give him a secondary trap ability that applies on pallets, windows or generators, something you can spot if you pay attention, maybe it enables him to know there is someone? Or it needs to be disabled first before the thing can be used or worked on? I'm not sure about the effect but different kind of traps would be great.

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 372
    Options

Needs an add on that puts traps in lockers. It’s called the school bully.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

a new power

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,090
    Options

I totally forgot, Trapper need a before the Fog skin

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 512
    Options

Most of his abilities will be worthless as long as he faces the SWF. Survivors can work on Gen as needed, and when the chase begins, one nearby can comfortably conduct the chase by simply disarming the traps in the vicinity. His future is only bleak unless he learns to use his high rarity add-ons sparingly to sabotage or his skills as an M1 killer who can finish a single chase in about 30 seconds without any abilities.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options

Only map changes more grass and such and the biggest maps should shrink a bit. I think he's buffs made him ok but because there are so many maps that are bad for Trapper he is still on the weak side.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,081
    Options

Maps need to have much better foliage for his traps, mind you doesn't have to be every map as every killer as a weak map. But when with the overwhelming majority you can see his traps through the grass, it should be denser. Additionally, have him start with all his traps in my opinion and take away the haste.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 521
    Options

I think he could use a secondary ability so simple it just boils down to "Become Undetectable for 30 Secs at a time." It'd play into his shoddy relationship with the Entity from a thematic standpoint, whilst also giving him the gameplay benefit of hiding his traps easier.

That and more traps around the map would make him much easier to play. Maybe give him the effect other users were discussing to give him haste after a surv gets trapped. All of those and few changes to make Basement Trapper obsolete, and our boy might actually be alright in the end.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,130
    edited March 14
    Options

I had a rework a while back that i thought of before they added the movement speed bonus when setting traps, and i think honestly i wouldn't change it much. Basically i would do the following:

• Traps now spawn near generators this was already done in 7.3.1
    • Trapper starts with 2 traps and can carry 3 basekit.
    • While walking over an UNSET trap, the trapper automatically picks up the trap (without having to stop or do an animation or anything)
    • After setting a trap. The trapper is able to perform an additional action for 5 seconds to "cover" a trap. This makes it so the trap becomes hidden with the exception of a slight indentation in the ground (similar to how traps would look if they get bugged in the ground) only 1 trap may be hidden at a time. If you hide a trap while another is already hidden, the trap automatically becomes UNHIDDEN, this gives you more ways to hide your traps especially on maps that don't have grass. In order to disarm a hidden trap, survivors must first spend 5 seconds "uncovering" the trap, then they can disarm it.
    • Getting out of a trap is normalized to be a single 10 second interaction if you attempt to free yourself (but stays 1.5 seconds if someone helps you)
    • Fix the hitbox of the trap so that survivors can't vault over them (using a pallet to cover one is fine, but putting one next to a window and having it be "too close" to the window so they can vault over it is dumb.)
    • Slightly increase the size of the trap by about 10-15% as well as its hitbox.
    • Make it so you can't place too many traps in a small area. I'm thinking about 12-16 meters. Where if you place a trap within 12-16 meters of another, that previous trap is automatically unset and teleported to your inventory (to prevent locking down the basement for impossible saves)
    • When a survivor steps in a trap, and the trapper is running toward the survivor who is trapped, they gain an additional 15% haste (this is tightly controlled to be very specifically moving toward the survivor in a tight cone)
      • This makes it so that the trapper is able to potentially get to someone who is on the other side of the map faster. Additionally, it could also be used in chase to surprise another survivor by giving you a big burst of speed.
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,667
    Options

I think that survivors should have a 90 second debuff at the start of the match making it so they have like 40% slower progress on repairing generators and they are unable to disarm traps during this time. The debuff ends prematurely if a survivor is put in the dying state from an offensive action by trapper (can't just plot twist to end it). Just to give the Trapper a little bit of time at the start of the match to start setting traps up. That's all he really needs.

• DwightDwigt
    DwightDwigt Member Posts: 63
    edited March 14
    Options

Possibly make Makeshift Wrap basekit. I can't think of another Killer who is forced to drop a carried Survivor by interacting with their own power.

I like the idea of picking up traps by simply walking over them (if the max number of traps isn't being carried) or by retrieving the furthest trap by grabbing one from a locker. Once again, I can't think of another Killer who potentially has to go away from Survivors and unfinished gens in order to enable his power.

Other potential basekit options: Bear Oil, Rusty Jaws, Serrated Jaws, and Lengthened Jaws.

To add increased spice, all trap could spawn already set, and the Trapper could carry 3 traps basekit.

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 357
    Options
  • arcaneGospel
    Options

I don't really know how I feel about this on a few fronts, least significant being that I'd contest the claim he only needs more time to set up.

I feel like Trapper sacrificing the early game a bit is an intended flaw, it's something he's designed to try and work around with a strong snowball in the later game. More importantly, I don't think making the early game take longer is a great idea. Survivors don't really have other things to do, they're just holding M1 for a longer period of time--or, they're going to go find and harass the Trapper and interrupt his setup. I've actually always seen Corrupt as a perk that's counterproductive for this reason on Trapper, he doesn't get anything from that early slowdown. He wants late game pressure, and if survivors are pushed into his territory before he's set up, he doesn't really get to play the game at all. He's more in need of a smoother setup process, and a way to really initiate that pressure, be that a tool to be more capable of a strong snowball or a way to redirect survivors towards traps by force.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Omg I love this thread...

• North85
    North85 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Let Trapper pull his traps out of lockers, up to whatever the current limit is, instead of wasting 3 gens worth of time running around, picking them up, carrying them to a spot, and setting them.

Make it take longer for a survivor to free themselves from the trap, with a 0% chance of success on the first try, and when they successfully free themselves, make them deep wounded.

Increase trap size and hitbox size by 30%. It's beyond insane that you can trap a bottleneck and watch a survivor slip past it while you can't.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 793
    Options

Just a few ideas:

• Faster way to set traps, like he just tosses them down onto the floor while he's walking
    • Unlimited carrying capacity
    • Survivors are Hindered for 30 seconds after escaping a trap
    • Traps spawn already armed

You might say, "But with unlimited carrying capacity he will be able to lock down shack harder than ever".

As a Trapper main, it really saddens me to see so many useless killers doing this when there is so much more to his gameplay.

The solution is simple. Either make all doorways wider so survivors can still squeeze past, or make it so they cannot be trapped at all. Basement Trapper needs to go, end of story.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,914
    Options

agree. he needs less hand-holding mechanics in his kit. Two of his biggest problems are survivors being able to disable his traps & survivors being able to escape his traps when caught in a trap. I would never play trapper without iri stone.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,936
    edited March 16
    Options

1) every map Trapper plays in also spawns patches of grass as a sort of his Killer trappings. Really, this alone would alleviate his game play by a lot.

2) start all traps opened, not closed.

3) spawn all traps in dangerous places, like around corners, in patches of grass, behind windows, before pallets etc. Basically, even traps at the far reaches of the map could potentially injure and capture a survivor, even without Trappers intervention.

This three changes would do SO much to make him viable at higher level.

Beyond that, we could do this

4) start him with 3 traps and let him carry 3

5) reload traps at a locker. This despawns a random trap/ the most far away trap on the map.

6) (my favorite, but I know that BHVR doesn't like a mystical twist on Trapper) looking at a trap anywhere on the map, Trapper can prime it or collect it with the secondary ability buttons. The ability goes on a 60s cooldown after use.

Also, it feels really punishing that survivors can disarm traps without any danger and just a little time investment. Disarming a trap should carry some risk, like a skill check or getting injured/deep wounded.

• Blueberry
    Options

Agreed. It's too easy to get out and they should be punished for getting out of a trap on their own. Maybe a heavy action speed debuff or downed on self escape while already injured. Something.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,914
    Options

I don't think you should be able to

A) Escape from a trap. survivor should automatic a survivor into dying state. This empowers SWF gameplay and action so simple that even soloq can save teammates caught in traps.

2) Be able to disable traps in 2 seconds. trap disarming should be unrewarding mechanic. Trap disarming should take 20 seconds. Current mechanic Empowers SWF to just follow trap and disarm his power into an m1 killer and the action is so simple that a single soloq play could do it. Most don't do it but it doesn't change fact that SWF vs trapper is unfun gameplay experience.

• arcaneGospel
    Options

I think those are a bit--or, in the second point's case, way--too much. I would like to see the honing stone effect apply to injured survivors, but I think if it just left healthy survivors injured or with deep wound, that would be fine.

20 seconds to disarm is, I feel, ludicrous. I am more in favor of making bloody coil basekit, as that is a more interesting change--making it potentially risky to disarm traps. Making it take 20 seconds technically increases the risk, but in a very obnoxious and uninteresting way. (To prevent someone injured from doing all of the disarming, injured survivors could be inflicted with deep wound after disarming traps.)

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 188
    Options

Both of these are hilariously broken

20 seconds to disable a trap would make it so noone would even bother. Thats longer than a dull totem by the way.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,762
    Options

Trapper just need smarter players playing as him

• arcaneGospel
    Options

...You wanna back that take up? Trapper is universally recognized as incredibly weak, due to trading any semblance of early game pressure for easily-defused late game pressure, and has no real ability to play in the moment or apply pressure in chase. What makes him just the greatest skill issue of all time?

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,762
    Options
  • arcaneGospel
    Options

No, they do. They definitely do. He's still bad, even if you have good trap placement.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,073
    Options

I got the perfect buff:

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 691
    edited March 16
    Options

This. Unless in chase you should basically never step in a trap because you can avoid any place that's concealed and never vault windows/pallets. Yet when playing Trapper I get way more people caught in traps then I should though I know I don't neccessarily play against the best players (this is on purpose, game is not designed for serious play outside of comp settings no matter how badly some people want it to be). Sure in times of stress or thinking about other things mistakes are made but the better players get the less this happens.

It's hard to think about how to buff Trapper because like Legion he's a beginner stomper but like Legion in learning how to deal with being injured, it's possible to get better against Trapper.

Honestly if it were up to me I'd keep making progressive changes. By far the number one thing he needs is getting traps from lockers and his cap increased to 3 by default. The cap remains what it is now. Traps are no longer spread across the map. This is the number one thing that makes Trapper awful to play.

Can you imagine how bad Huntress would be if you had to stop and pick up each and every single hatchet? That you started with one hatchet and the others were all over the map and whether you hit or missed you had to pick it up again? She would be absolutely dumpster tier. Trapper is pretty close to this. If someone falls into his trap or disarms it whether they are injured, healthy, close or far, that trap has to be reset short of iri addon.

I would also make the escape time from his trap locked at 5.5-6 seconds. This way players don't get lucky and immediately escape (1.8 seconds, not counting the initial time where the survivor reacts to being trapped) but also don't have to wait for the sixth attempt to get out either (10.8 seconds).