Why are killer perk’s significantly worse than survivors?

Options
Royval
Royval Member Posts: 203
edited March 15 in General Discussions

Hangman’s Trick lmao perks been a joke for literally years and they wonder why we use the same “4 perks”.

Answers

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,783
    Options

Both sides have about 10 Great perks, 20 Good but usually inferior versions of the previous category, 30 extremely niche or inferior versions of the previous category, and the remainder being meme/garbage perks.

Don't pretend Survivors are eating fat and happy with Poised, just as no one should pretend Killers are eating fat and happy with Bloodhound.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,278
    edited March 15
    Options

I think that statement is a little misleading, as this game is an asym. Of course the killers perks are stronger than survivor perks on a 1 to 1 ratio, because the killer has 4 perks vs. survivors 16 but this game isn't objectively quantifiable on a 1 to 1 ratio.

The only way of even attempting to compare these perks is weighing up time saved completing gens vs. time bought preventing completing gens. E.g.

• Pain Res for example returns the killer 25s of gen progress instantly, 4 times, which is an overall 100s of gen progress returned at max value (plus regression), but let's assume you get max gen hits and survivors are there to immediately the stop regression with 4.5s repair.
    • Deja Vu saves a total 5.4s per 90 gen charges per survivor. If we say all 4 survivors take it, lets say on average they have to complete 150 charges to account for interrupt and regression, which Deja Vu saves 8.5s per gen. Across 5 generators that's (8.5s × 5gens) or 42.5s. Seems a lot worse, but of course, it's value gets lower when the survivors do better, I.e. loop longer and no additional regression. There is also the issue that these bonus can be applied at the same time on different gens, which makes the true value much harder to quantify.
    • Compare instead vs. Lithe, Lithe is a 1 to 1 chase, like the 1 instance of Pain res firing off, so a better metric. Lithe should at least be able by raw numbers to extend your distance from the killer by (1.4m/s × 3s) 4.2m in a straight line, but the killer has to traverse to get around the obstacle. Lets guesstimate if played well at a decent tile it takes the killer 2 seconds to clear the obstacle and start chasing you. At 6m/s for 2s, that's 12m + the last second of Lithe vs. the killers speed (1.4m/s ÷ 1s) or 1.4m. So 13.4m distance before the killer even starts to catch up. 0.6 m/s difference over 13.4m is (13.4m ÷ 0.6 m/s) = 22.33s.... oh dear... If every survivor takes Lithe, that actually makes each 25s instance of Pain Res inferior as the survivor even gets the 165% boost from taking 1 hit and the chase keeps going.... all of this potentially while 3 survivors are working on gens... thats 3 times the time value for this survivor on every second they save.

Clearly there is an issue in trying to objectively measure perks this way, and we're simply not comparing oranges and oranges here. So the statement "Killer perks are better than survivor perks" isn't really demonstrably true in any kind of objective measure.

• Shirtless_Myers
    Shirtless_Myers Member Posts: 360
    Options

They're not significantly worse, infact there are far more options for killers to select from than survivors do. Certain perks are game-changing on some killers, while awful on others. Survivors are a single role with flaws that are corrected through perks.

The game has devolved into exhaustion perk/anti-tunnel perk/information perk/free slot for most survivors, it's boring.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

Just out of intrest, how would you weight something like ultimate weapon, which helps you find survivors faster, interrupt them (which can be important sometimes, like cleansing a hex totem), and give blindness. therefore denying common information perks like windows of opportunity?

• UndeddJester
    edited March 15
    Options

To date this is my best response to Ultimate Weapon:

Used to be quite vocal on this perk, kinda chilled out about it now, but the primary issue I see with it is purely its availability:

It is a Swiss army knife that allows the killer to find a particular target when they need them... it's not so much that the perk itself is the problem, it's more the nasty play styles it helps support that I think is where it takes the flack, especially on the strongest killers.

• Tunneling is easy because you can always find your target you want to tunnel, and can combine UW with Sloppy Butcher to really make it hard for that person to hide from you and heal. It also bypasses OTR and other methods of blocking aura reading.
    • Camping is easier because it reveals anyone coming in to save from afar to help you stall the stage, and blocks survivor aura reading near, so it makes it really hard to coordinate saves without voice comms.
    • 3 genning (the normal kind of 3 genning) becomes really strong, because you patrol with significantly less effort, and can make it really rough with perks like Dead Man's Switch.
    • Slugging for hatch is basically a guaranteed kill that the survivors cannot prevent in any reasonable fashion (and its already nearly impossible to escape if the killer slugs, UW makes it no point of even trying).
    • Other nasty strategies like Head Pop Pig and Devour Hope Demogorgon.

I have over time come to think, the issue isn't so much UW is overpowered... It's more the fact it is especially irritating to play against, as a result of:

• It is more effective vs. Solo players compared to SWF.
    • It helps facilitate some particularly nasty methods of play (see above)
    • It's disproportionately strong on mobile chase killers compared to less mobile killers, which exacerbates all the above issues even further.

It being very unfun and annoying may not be enough to nerf it... but I don't think its unreasonable to rework it.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 495
    Options

How do you make an accurate comparison between survivor and killer perks, when the two roles are completely different?

You might as well compare a two story house to a bag of oranges, and try to figure out which is better for an organ transplant.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited March 15
    Options

The value is hard to compare, because Deja can have flat value without getting interrupted at all (no regression), or you have to do the equivalent of 10 generators. Both scenarios are rare, but they are possible. On the other side, PR could possible only have 4% value when every generator is at 1%. Also, extremly rare. It can also have the value of the full 100%, more likely but also not always the case. You get my point.

Lets assume, we get with both perks full value.

Deja Vu cuts off per generator 5 seconds. So we would take the combined value of doing 10 generators (extrem example), which is about 50 seconds in total. This is about the equivalent of 2 PR hooks. Even in extreme example, PR is much superior then Deja Vu.

We would need more data to 100% say what is better, but from my personal feeling, PR value is at about 80-90% and it is rare that survivors have to repair more then 7 or 8 gens in total.

• UndeddJester
    edited March 15
    Options

Well I suppose my point really is that trying to compare these perks is a fruitless endeavour.

• You compare Deja Vu to Pain Res in terms of time saved, Deja Vu looks incredibly weak.
    • You compare Lithe to Pain Res in terms of time saved, Pain Res looks pretty damned weak.

We know that isn't true, but mathematically we have to drastically simplify the equation to try and establish any objective truth, to the point that it almost becomes pointless to argue.

I would argue that the top 10 perks for survivor are just as good as the top 10 perks for killer. Every 10 seconds you buy as survivor multiplies in value to anywhere between 1 and 3 times, depending on what your team is doing, because that time you saved doesn't just affect your time, it affects your whole team.

E.g. that 25s that Pain Res gets back for the killer on 1 gen is dwarfed by the combined progress made on the 2 other gens by however long that chase smd hook took.

• xEa
    Options

Hmmm not sure about that. How much time does Lithe really saves you? And how often does it trigger? That is a difficult question and even more complex and impossible to answer then Deja Vu vs PR.

We can compare slowdown perks with perks that increases repair speed and maybe chase perks but hardly crossover.

I think we can fully agree that perks are hard to compare. How should we realsticly know the amount of time, Spirit Fury saves on average? Or Sprintburst? None of us can say a number with a straight face.

Where we maybe disagree is who the better perks overall has. And that is fine. For now and for me it is killer. But when i remember back 2018 for example, it was clearly survivor.

Last but not least, it is a meta thing. Right now, Tunneling and proxy camping is the 2go strategy. And the anti tunneling tools for survivor are very limited. A strong buff to DS for example may even swing the tides and suddenly, Survior and Killer are again neck on neck with how powerful perks can be.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Mandy just confirmed it’s intentional that Weaving Spiders has zero effect on a blocked gen. The survivor will still do the ritual but nothing happens. You’re literally AFK for two minutes lol.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

This is extremely depressing, but not actually surprising

• UndeddJester
    edited March 15
    Options

That's fair, and I'm happy to agree to disagree.

The one thing I will state, is that there are VERY few builds that a Killer can realistically get away with that don't involve at least 1 slowdown perk, even if they are not playing in a serious and sweaty lobby. If you don't have a slowdown perk, you have to really play really serious and dirty to not get completely steam rolled.

My personal take is if all players take maximum meta, it's pretty even. The problem is, survivors have 4 times the chance to not be playing full meta against a killer who is, and generally I think it's fair to say, the Killer wins when survivors make mistakes, and there are 4 players worth of mistakes that can be made... but a team that is on it, running strong perks, is VERY hard to beat if you aren't (and a lot of the time even if you are) bringing the best perks you can bring.

Y'know... outside of God Nurses and Blights. :D

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

This definitely isn't an "us vs them" thing. Both sides have horrible perks. There is a reason that both sides generally select from a pool of 10-15 different perks, and that's because the vast majority of them are either useless, or situational. Those 10-15 that are used on both sides you can get value from in every single match you play.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Back on topic, killer perks actually often have more value and practicality than survivor perks. I believe the people who play that role, primarily, are better advocates for the role than people who main survivor which creates this situation.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,229
    Options

Deja Vu also has an additional value that can’t be quantified as it shows the closest three gens every time a gen is completed. That's very valuable info. So, to just bolster your argument, it makes it even harder to compare Pain Res to Deja Vu as having a spread out final 3 gens makes escaping that much more likely. That can’t be measured in time saved.

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 152
    Options

It's clear that making a statement like that means you're new to the game.

There are some """"perk"""" for survivors that are literally a joke. some examples:

• Teamwork: Collective Stealth
    • Corrective Action
    • Pharmacy
    • Poised
    • Rookie Spirit
    • Teamwork: Power of Two
    • Blood rush
    • Deadline
    • Boon: illumination
    • Invocation... spiders something

The list could go on, but I'll stop here. Of course, killer also has horrendous perks, but they don't even come close to the uselessness of those of the survivors. What's the difference? Some killer perks are just bad... some of the surv ones make the game difficult for those who use them and (some) even for the team. Or some surv perks are so situational that you could play 50 games and never get value from them. Or some surv perks are a "weak" version of existing perks

It's more accurate to say "many DBD perks (killers and survivors) are really bad."

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    edited March 15
    Options

Yeah since they cannot figure a way to take care of the boogey-man 4 man swf with comms and more importantly, survivors who don't dc/suicide on first hook - they've come to nerf everything survivor for this one scenario.

Course if you cater to 5% of top tier players, well you just made a game only 5% of players will want to play.

Oh yeah...there are terrible perks on both sides, the really bad survivor ones make four people suffer for it though.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

People don't even know the actual worse survivor perk in the game

All the bad perks do something relative different than others, but no perk has its effect completely overshadowed by another bad perk, making them useless

the perk is Pharmacy

Self Care is one of the worst perks in the game, and its better than Pharmacy

• xEa
    Options

Agree. I find myself running almost always the same builds with here and there one perk different. To be fair, Survivor builds are not the most exciting either but i feel like while not having strong builds, i have at least more build combos that can have the potential to be fun or at least varied.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,229
    Options

The issue isn't that one side has perks that are worse than the other's. Both sides have enough decent perks to fill a load out.

The issue is that both sides have a lot of perks that are useless for either meming or winning a game. A lot of perks need changes to make them better and/or more fun.

It's why I've quite often posted against over nerfs to both Survivor and Killer perks. Neither side needs perks that they just scroll through but would never actually equip outside of Adept and Tome challenges.

• NecrodiusPrime
    NecrodiusPrime Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 2
    Options

What are you talking about? Killer perks are awesome. I use so many different ones.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 652
    Options

I don't know about that...

You could equip Pop, Pain Res and Grim Embrace on pretty much any Killer and so long as you're not completely awful, this build should win you most of your games.

But outside of 4 Adrenalines (preferably in a SWF with the juiciest gen rush toolboxes), I can't think of too many Survivor perks that can out right win you a trial. Most of the strongest Survivor perks need team work and skill to be fully effective. The strongest Killer perks just need you to do your Killer thing, play reasonably well and you'll probably get value in most games.

There are definitely terrible Killer perks, don't get me wrong. I'm never going to prestige The Wraith and anyone going for his adept has my commiserations. But on balance, while the pool of Killer perks is smaller and Killer general perks are pretty weak compared to the Survivor ones, I think the strongest Killer perks are still stronger than the best Survivor perks.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    edited March 15
    Options

If I may jump in!

If you don't have a slowdown perk, you have to really play really serious and dirty to not get completely steam rolled.

This isn't personal, I just see it often and wanted to touch base.

Do you really believe this? If you dont bring a few regression perks, you're screwed unless you play sweaty?

My pool of players who are still left and myself often chat up things from the forums, and this talking point is only spoken of by killers. you do NOT have to play like that to win. I refuse to run slowdown and do fine. With Trapper. So I'd just like clarification why this keeps getting brought up, and I know @UndeddJester is well spoken and can deliver a good synopsis, if you'd be so kind.

It'd likely be your personal view, but thats fine, I'd love to hear it! :)

Post edited by Spare_Them_Mori_Me on
  • Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,933
    Options

99% 6 gens, killer gets confused what gens to defend, then seal the deal with the person in the basement, finishing all gens in one fell swoop.

• GeneralSkien
    GeneralSkien Member Posts: 114
    Options

Controversial opinion but I think rather than touching current meta perks, we should buff a lot of the weaker perks.

• UndeddJester
    edited March 15
    Options

That's kind of you to say, I genuinely appreciate that. 🙃

I suppose my point is short really, though if I were to say "if I don't take a slowdown perk, things start to get noticably tougher", it wouldn't be useful, so I guess the best thing I can do is give insight into my playstyle, as a player who has only really known modern DBD and it's recent states of balance.

I speak mostly from my own experience as a relatively new 1000 hour player, and as someone with a fairly unhealthy amount of content watching. I have managed to adept every killer/survivor and complete every achievement within that time, and I regularly make attempts to pick a perk and then try to make a build around it. I have also made pretty decent headway on a lot of the tomes/challenges within the game, and I also usually operate with that old school "I might need it later" gamer mentality of rarely using strong add-ons on either side... I'm also cheap 😏

Throughout that time I've always had the same mindset, always play to win for the first 10 hooks... however, try not to tunnel (usually give 1 clear "I will let you run away in the opposite direction if I find you first" chance), try not to camp, usually waiting until hook 6 before I sacrifice anyone. I don't particularly get enjoyment from winning by crushing my opponents, I get far more enjoyment when I feel I've played well and put in a respectable performance, preferably with a close score. Usually I only take a 4k when I feel the 4th player has been egregiously selfish and left their team to die. This is also to say, my favourite killers tend to be the not so strong killers, like Trapper, Myers, Nemesis and of course Pig (I also like how I can be clever and quirky with builds on these characters).

I've of course gone against absolute bambis, both as a bambi, and now as a more experienced player, and I've of course been thrown into the meat grinder and gone against absolute monster survivors who make me look like a total fool at every turn, and been lucky to get out with more than 2 or 3 hooks.

All of this is to say, that in that time of playing the modern game of DBD (I've only been playing less than a year), it is absolutely possible to win while taking absolutely no slowdown perks... however every small mistake, every lost 50/50 against a reasonably good team catches up with you very quickly, and the snowball effect of a single bad chase is very high without some kind of slowdown, to the point you have to switch gear and start viciously defending a 3 gen if you still have one (which ofc is a problem to do now 😅).

When not running any slowdown perks, it is my experience that every game will come down to 1 gen almost every time, almost irrespective of how well you play, unless hou are playing a naturally very strong killer with auras, such as Spirit or Wesker (I suck at Blight and Nurse, but you get the point). Survivors have to be really wasting time in order for this not to be case, and this has also been my perspective as Survivor as well. Many times I've looked at killer builds after they've been smashed, and noted that they've either lacked slowdown, the slowdown doesnt synergise well with their killer, or they didn't actually use their slowdown effectively throughout the game.

We've all seen those games where a killer has had a slightly slow start, goes for their 2nd hook is already down 3 generators with a 4th well underway, and as player who makes a point of not playing nasty, it doesn't take much to get in this situation. As a rule of thumb, to be on good pace for killer you should be aiming for roughly 2 hooks per generator if you don't want to be scrambling at end game.

So I suppose my conclusion is, yes, with enough skill you can play without slowdown perks, but against survivors of equal (or obviously better) skill, you better not make a single mistake or mess around, because it will snowball very quickly out of control, and from my perspective, you should be going into a non slowdown game knowing you're gonna have to step your game up 😁

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

There's garbage-tier perks on both sides that they're either never touched, or buffed them in a way that doesn't make them any better.

Or made them OP like Buckle Up.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    Options

I know I have nothing to do with this conversation, but just wanted to say I appreciate how well spoken and respectful both of you are. Your replies are always a joy to read :)

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options
  • Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options

LMAO nice bait Hopefully you are joking if your not then ima just say woooow lol.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

I suppose my point is short really

Yeah, the wall of text supports this lol.

Thanks for the write up. I'd like to think others often go for x amount of hooks, but given the games I've been getting these last few months... I dunno anymore lol. Seems people are jumpng on the EZ train and just tunneling. And I know I bring it up a lot, but I just keep seeing it most of my games.

Anyway, back to topic! Why are killer perks worse than survivors? Well that's subjective and I honestly don't agree with it. We literally just got a fresh set of perks that makes the killers life more pleasant. The invocation doesn't even work if you finish it while a gen is blocked by something like Grim Embrace. It just becomes 2 minutes of your time wasted, and now you're broken then entire trial. Mind blown.

So no, killer perks aren't worse off. Not saying they are better off, just not worse. Most killer perks work as intended. Less survivor perks work at all.

• UndeddJester
    edited March 16
    Options

Yeah it's a sad state of affairs that winning at all costs is how a lot of people play.

I got in a debate the other day that went nowhere, about the objective of the game, and how the theme of DBD by serving the entity is rewarded more than just "winning". More off topic rambling:

I still maintain you can't call your invisible MMR stat your objective, because there is no means of nessured your progress or acknowledgement from the game. Your actual objective is the pips and Grades, because that is all the game itself tells you at end game... and that involves gettibg as many hooks, chases and power uses as possible... not just killing players as fast as you can. It's why Tombstone Myers always scores crap in end game.

Point is playing more fair, and taking the harder route is rewarded more in DBD than tunneling players out and camping out hook stages.... but it became apparent in that conversation, having that mindset is a minority. 😒

In any case, to stay on topic, there are a slew of less useful perks on either side, but I think the main difference is perks for killers get 34 chances to be useful with all the different killer powers. Survivor perks only get 1 chance to be good, and the fact they can get used by all 4 survivors means any overpowered perks get abused ad mauseum, e.g. DS, DH, CoH, BT (more abbreviations please).

So I suppose there may be some credit to saying survivor perks are worse, but it's not really a useful question, as given how the game works it's inevitable, and the only question that actually matters is, is the game balanced? Hard question to answer, but I feel for the most part it is, more than it seems to be in the past at least.

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,668
    Options

Both sides have garbage perks. No one runs Up the Ante or Pharmacy for a reason.

Predator? Also Unnerving Presence on every killer except Doctor.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,255
    Options

Both sides have a ton of bad perks but also quite a few useful ones. So I wouldn't say that killers are worse off.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,245
    edited March 16
    Options

I'm not going to say that unnerving or predator are good perks, because they aren't. But his point is that some perks come with a negative downside that actively debuffs the user.

Take calm spirit: they 'buffed' it to make opening chests and totem cleansing quiet, but then added a debuff for cleansing totems a lot slower. Why? No one asked for that interaction, it didn't need it, and having the debuff arguably made the perk worse for literally no reason. Sometimes critically worse, during the 'pinhead stands on the box' meta, where this *survivor* perk made it impossible to counter the hexes.

The only perk I can think of that does this for killer is rapid brutality removes bloodlust.

• BlightedDolphin
    Options

They do negatively affect the killer more than help though.

Unnerving Presence makes more skill checks, which for good survivors means more Great skill checks and faster gens. It does the opposite of what it was designed too and is an detriment to use against any decent survivor outside of impossible skill check Doctor.

And Predator makes it harder to track survivors unless you are right on top of them. Because it makes them spawn super close together, you can't see them from a distance because they won't spawn on walls or obstacles as often. I think anyone who has ever used Predator can say that it's harder to track with it.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

You're misunderstanding a subtle difference here. I'm describing perks where you want (or in some cases feel like you need) the primary effect, but there's a secondary effect that is debuffing you actively.

What you're describing is that you didn't actually want the primary effect of that perk. That makes it a bad perk, and you can just not equip it.

With something like calm spirit, there's no other way in the entire game to avoid random screams. The only way is to take that one perk, so some players will actively want that effect. The perk would be better if it didn't have an unnecessary extra line about totems at all.

What you're saying is you don't want any part of the perk, and it would be better if it was a different perk.

The better killer example I should've thought of is dying light. Killers feel they desperately need slowdown as much as possible, and the primary effect of dying light is essentially free, permanent, unregressable slowdown. That's insanely appealing. The only reason this perk isn't meta, is the *downside* that the obsession is immune to the slowdown and is actively buffed for healing and unhooking. Remove that downside and the perk usage would skyrocket.

• BlightedDolphin
    Options

The original comment I was responding too wasn't talking about perks like that, they just said perks that are detrimental which Predator and Unnerving Presence are.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,215
    Options

Ultimate weapon is more strong in the hands of better killers against better swfs than solo. Best teams utilise stealth at the start of game, to set up for plays and to set up for hook saves. Ultimate weapon completely destroys the main counterplay against good killers.