Skull Merchant players, why are you even playing her?

Options

Honestly, I don't know what's going through your heads. How do you feel about choosing her in the lobby knowing that a player will automatically give up?

Seriously, every time I face a Skull Merchant people either commit suicide or DC. You already win the game the moment someone finds out it's you and in the end there doesn't end up being any game at All because it ended before it started.

I don't know why you choose her knowing that you won't even be able to play a game with her.

Comments

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

I like the macro-micro game expression. She can be really strategic. It’s like running the board /map. You constantly keep survivors moving, guessing, and on their feet. Yes people quit against her and curse you EGC but so what.

• CrackedShevaMain
    CrackedShevaMain Member Posts: 216
    Options

When I do see her in my matches the same happens. Hook give ups or DCs. I guess that’s good for players who only care about 4Ks but I have to wonder how that’s gonna play out once they cruise to those high MMRs and get teams who will play the match snd slaughter them.

Also they can’t be getting max BP out of it when a match only lasts 2-3 minutes, but in someone who cares about BP, maybe they don’t?

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,851
    Options

I mean what’s different about a real person compared to a bot when playing against SM?

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,215
    Options

Being in camp #2, this is accurate. I can't help but appreciate the stealth and chase potential she has with different builds. I'd be even happier if she was better for players to go against as well. (Also her base design and lore changed but I can only ask for so much...)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,053
    Options

Probably a weird take, but I like grinding for invisible MMR. Might seem silly, but what else is there to play for on killer after thousands of hours since 2018? I think I've lost 1 game with her since her most recent rework. Her kit is hilariously braindead. Easiest killer to play on the roster by far.

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 341
    Options

If I play her I use the stealth mixed with chase method. Get near a gen and release drone for speed and stealth. If you get to surprise survivor get a hit and add the alien perk for speed boost. She is fun to play if the survivors try and you don’t play the extreme long game methods.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 577
    Options

Well I don't get that many DCs with her truthfully and when I do get a DC or someone trying to give up I just sorta laugh but whatever

My main love for her is in everything about her. Cool lore, cool design, cool voice, amazing power, I've been a skully fan since her release. No other killer besides maybe Hag has the area control that SM has and not in the way she has it either. I love the web playstyle of getting survivors into an area that they don't know is exactly where I wanted them to go and getting rewarded for playing smart. Regardless of what people say, matches against good survivors as SM are very largely about how well you can play her and how quick you can adapt to the survivors playing and stuff like this is so fun for me.

It wasn't a bad thing that I found some of her perks fun, I just REALLY wish they'd buff Leverage and THWACK! cause THWACK! got outranked pretty quick and Leverage has always been a weak perk that had great potential.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

SM and Chucky/Tiffany are my mains. I just find her extremely fun to play as and I love her cosmetics! I like that she can be stealthy and good at chasing survivors. I rarely get survivors that give up in my games though… I try not to camp, tunnel or 3 gen them from the start. Maybe that’s why?

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Thanks for an actual response of a SM player.

Can you clarify in all seriousness what you mean by that:

amazing power

You set a drone. Whats so exciting about that? Some may think i am joking but i really want an answer to that question.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

I don’t get a ton of DCs against her either. About as many as I see against any of the killers I like to play (Dredge, Singularity). Not common, just here or there

• HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 577
    Options

Well I'm someone who loves Area control/Denial. Yeah just throwing a drone down is easy but this is where the whole 'adapting to who you're against' comes into play.

When you throw a drone you have to keep in mind not only does it deploy where you pressed the button, but the beam is always facing the direction you are meaning if you play with it properly you can deploy a drone in chase while also forcing a survivor into a stack of lockdown. That and using game/map knowledge to identify which loops are priority and what loops chain into what for example I could throw a drone on a loop which might give me some good coverage in that loop OR I could throw it between that loop and another and force a survivor to play the loop in a way that leaving the tile to try and go somewhere much stronger would result in them getting lock on which is a strategy which is so fun and strong on maps that I otherwise hate like Borgo.

Then theres the beam rotation aspect where you have to actually keep in mind the cooldown of bringing up your radar, reversing beam rotation, and then putting it back down in time for some value. Rotating beams is something I don't have fully down yet but in the few games where I do get big brained and have utilized the beam rotation during chase it has helped immensely. Survivors can also loop drone areas if they play it smart which is why I'd rather place them in spots that are transitional as well as some loops that an M1 killer will just usually waste so much time on I can actually play around it with a survivor in a way thats engaging for both of us with them monitoring the drone and me monitoring them and us both trying to figure out the next move. Situations like that are more common with SM when you play her in a very aggressive almost prison warden type style. Watch everyone and strike when you know it'll play out the way you want. Shes such a domino effect killer where making a mistake can cost you the game but playing perfect feels like you're actually being rewarded.

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options

because she´s fun

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

So the strategic factor is the one that is the most interesting for you. Understandable and overall reasonable answer. Personally i much prefere Trapper and Hag over SM by a long shot, but to each their own.

Thanks again for the input. And big YIKESI for the other thread. You know what i am talking about 😆

• BlackRabies
    BlackRabies Member Posts: 864
    edited March 16
    Options

For me, she's just a stronger version of Trapper. They're both M1 killers biggest difference between the 2 Trapper is to easily shut down and you have to waste a lot of time moving traps around and rearming then. Sometimes you won't even catch someone in a trap for the entire match. SM she's far faster when placing or relocating her traps and she gets far more consistent value from her drones than I ever get from Trappers bear traps. And I really don't care if they D/C or not it's a them problem for refusing to play. I really don't see that many D/Cs either.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 681
    edited March 16
    Options

Honestly I have tomes related to her which I want to do cus she's really not that obnoxious anymore but... I'm scared to. Even though I 8 hook and let everyone go (for now, might move to 8 hook then kill if it gets too easy), I don't want people to think I'm a horrible Skull merchant who is going to play this game deliberately to cause misery.

So if I were to play SM. Two reasons.

1. Daily. I can avoid this though, and do so for Nurse, Clown and Artist as well. Killers I personally despise facing. Well Clown is okay by me but a lot of people dislike him for valid reasons.

2. Tome challenge. Honestly needs to be reworked. Should be able to change any challenge to random perks with escape or 3 k for killer and/or complete 3 games under these conditions. Or something generic and useful like do gens/hooks. Obviously for some they want to try entice people to buy the killer needed, so for those ones you still need to have that killer enabled but you don't have to use them.

• Witchubtet
    Witchubtet Member Posts: 640
    Options

I like using killers who can buff themselves by doing actions. She gains undetectable, haste, and has tracking. Information is key in most games nowadays, so I focus mainly on that.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 842
    edited March 16
    Options

You should not question why a player gravitates towards a killer with ill intent. Though, i know thats not what you're coming from of course but its for other ppl who do. Even if its as bad as skull merchant. Those players just likes to play her, be it an ez win, playstyle, skins etc.

Its up to the devs if they want to readjust her so other players dont easily give up. So we will have to wait and see what they have in store.

• WhoSoup
    WhoSoup Member Posts: 152
    Options

I like playing Skully because she's chill to play and I can play her on all maps. Survivors send me to the eyrie for the fifth time in one day? Meh. Gideon three times in a row? Thank you. Garden of Joy? You can shut down main building with two drones. Dead hard? Don't care. Sprint burst? I'm faster.

She's not a fancy killer with cool clips for my epic youtube montage, she's a killer that just works well and is deadly.

• Wibwob
    Wibwob Member Posts: 48
    Options

Unfortunately, I know that some people play her for Schadenfreude. They get satisfaction from giving others a bad time.

Other than that, she's pretty much the best "enhance your M1 experience" killer in the game. Her power doesn't require much skill or attention for decent results, while giving her a bunch of bonuses to regular gameplay once you've used it (haste, stealth, hinder, free injures). People tend to gravitate towards low skill floors.

And lastly, many people just like playing as a pretty woman. Think of how many female survivors you see compared to male ones and how many Sables have been showing up lol

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,047
    Options

Because I like her power. Knowing there's a chance of people just giving up is the reason I don't play her as often as I would otherwise, and when I do choose to I'm rolling the dice on whether I'll actually get to play the game.

Her power's fun, both to play as and - in my limited experience - against. The way the beams work allows for a lot of interesting gameplay that revolves more around positioning and timing than it does pure mechanical input, and I'm someone who tends to prefer that kind of gameplay for either side.

In general, I also like the default M1 gameplay a fair amount, and Skull Merchant is a lot like one of my other mains, Clown, in that she enhances your ability to do that if you know how to use her power properly.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Well, I've only started playing her recently, mostly because I was extremely tired of playing a killer who barely has a power.

And I was very surprised by how fun she is to play! I've always liked killers who are good at controlling the map, and Skull Merchant has a lot of potential with her radar and drone placements.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510
    edited March 16
    Options

Pretty much players who just want easy games play her. I really cannot have any respect for them whatsoever.

Edit: It's a pity about her reputation (well earned thanks to certain people) - I wanted to main her at one point but gave that up quickly after seeing her in all her 'glory'.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 193
    Options

I like her gameplay. It's unique, and I tend to like both stealth and setplay characters. If survivors are too much of brats to play the game, then that's fine--I think it's kinda funny.

• MadameExotine
    MadameExotine Member Posts: 177
    Options

She's my main,.. her stealth plays are fun, I like playing set-up/defensive and her design leans towards more macro focused games (which I love)

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 193
    Options

This statement's funny. Especially when another comment in this thread is saying "I play her less than I would otherwise entirely because survivors don't bother".

• TheTom20
    TheTom20 Member Posts: 375
    Options

People rarely give up in my games against the skull merchant an she usually losses when i see her

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,639
    Options

I don't play her but I get why people give up. If there's one killer who is likely to slug you and hump you on the ground while you bleed out, it's her. For some reason she attracts some pretty unpleasant people. There are obviously those who play her normally, but I feel like she attracts a decent number of trolls too. Having said all that, it's been awhile since I've seen a team mate DC or let go on hook against her. So I can't say it's been that bad.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,492
    Options

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Skill Merchant, The Art of War.

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 328
    Options

People simply play whomever they want.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

She isn't nearly as powerful as nurse or blight, but she is quite good in relation to how insanely easy she is to play. That makes her the ideal killer to for players who just want to pubstomp with minimal effort. Her reputation also attracts a lot of trolls who simply pick her to play in the most unfun ways possible to mine salt.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    Options

They must like people giving up on hooks or DCing, and playing against bots I guess.

In all my soloq games against her, oddly enough people don't give up and we usually always escape. Maybe they aren't used to people not leaving haha.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

I pick her because I enjoy playing her. I like her predator vibe, I like modeling walking at people as the sassy classy killah in my boots.

I like her chase music and drones. I don’t give $2 bills if someone dc’s. I’ll take my blood points thank you. 🙏🏼 😁

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,831
    Options

I don’t play Skull Merchant often, but I like her cosmetics, and I normally run gimmicky builds with her since her power enables that.