Are chases fun for survivors or not?

Orion
Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Nearly every single survivor says that the chase is the most exciting part of the game, but when you chase a survivor for too long or outside whatever bizarre conditions they come up with as being "fair", they accuse you of "tunneling" and "ruining the game" for that player. Which is it, are chases exciting or not?

Personally, when I play survivor, I'd rather not get into chases at all, but when I do, I find ending chases by juking to be more exciting than being chased indefinitely.

Comments

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

It's a strange thing, but when I used to play survivor I found chases fun, but also they got boring if you're getting tunnelled since your instadown. I still think secondary objectives are needed.

• Orion

@Poweas Would you rather hold M1 for 3 minutes? It's one or the other if you can't lose the killer.

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874

Never asked myself that question.

Personnaly I don't really like nor dislike chase.

I'm a stealth player mainly, for me getting in a chasse mean I failed and I have a chance to get away with my failure therefor nullifying it.

But since stealth player are the odds one out in the game (apparently) I would be interested to see others people opinion about it.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

I thing it depends on the intention of the player who Q's up as survivor.

Some Q up to win, but enjoy getting chased. Those want to get chased, but not tunneled like no tomorrow without a chance to escape.

Others (like me) only care about getting chased, I have the most fun when the killer gives me "special" attention the whole match. A reason why I use bright cosmetics is so I get spotted easily and have fun. Sometimes I care about escaping, sometimes I don't.

• makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287

I enjoy being chased. It's obviously a huge part of the game. Half of my fun comes from the chase.

The other half of my fun comes from watching teammates get chased and hiding from the killer. I love the tense, suspenseful feeling of a killer basically breathing down my neck when I'm hiding close to him/her and they're looking for me. It's strange, but I love the suspension of watching another survivor get chased and wondering when they'll go down and wondering if the killer has BBQ and if I should run away after they get hooked, etc etc. I also love strategizing unhooks.

Chases are exciting, but those other aspects of the game, at least in my opinion, are exciting as well. When you're getting chased by the killer for the entire game you know exactly how he plays in a chase and it just feels really boring after a while.

I'm not sure if any of this really makes any sense. I can try to elaborate more if it doesn't.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

It would be cool if you stopped acting like only one side has their "bizarre conditions" they'd like their opponents to follow.

You can like chases but not enjoy being tunneled 3 hooks in a row. They're not mutually exclusive things. Considering you need to do objectives and altruism too, if you spend your whole match being chased then you'll probably max out on boldness and depip.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    edited March 2019

I love being chased. Regardless of how long it lasts or the outcome. Getting caught and being the prey is the core of the survivor in horror movies.

Now, is it more fun when I manage to survive for a minute or so, a gen maybe gets done or I land a sweet pallet drop or lithe use? Absolutely. It sucks getting downed immediately or feeling singled out.

But that's also a core of the (usually first to die) survivors in horror movies.

I like getting away, but I'd rather drag it out and see if I'd die in the movie or not.

• makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287

I forgot to mention this in my post too, you get jack points if you just get chased the entire game or watch someone get chased the entire game. Since survivors already get poop points it just sucks when you can barely get 10k because you got chased the entire game.

Good point here.

• benzos
    benzos Member Posts: 178

you're mixing it all together. you gonna get the immersed survivor that can't evade worth ######### lol. then you're gonna get the survivor that knows the maps, tiles, and can juke, then the ones in between. the survivor that been playing the game for thousands of hours, it's boring to sit at the gen so those are the ones that want the chase.

i'm one of those guys. if you tunnel me, then ok. no prob, i already did my job as distraction. whatever, next game. so yeah, it's exciting for me. don't lump me in with the others.

• Orion

This thread is about survivors (it's right there in the title), so I'm not sure why you thought I'd be talking about killers as well.

With that out of the way, if you can't win chases, it's not on the killer to let you go, is it?

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

they are fun. when you're tunneled off hook, and you have nothing to help prolong the chase, theres not much of a chase going on.

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

I prefer to hide.

That is why IF I play this game, I always use Distortion.

Being chased all game, whether gens are done or not isn’t fun for me.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I like being chase since I’m not good at stealth or jukes and I’m only really decent at looping.

• Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433

Yes, they are fun, if you aren't going against a frank's mixtape legion or the killer is tunneling you, i just enjoy all the from the chase and the chase music is the better!

• Arroz
    Arroz Member Posts: 1,433

Im really good with looping and jukes, most killer fall at my tricks, i am regular at stealth haha but i find chases while your not being tunneled really fun!

• brokedownpalace

Because you're being needlessly divisive. If you don't want a response like mine then you should probably just ask a straightforward question without injecting your bias.

"With that out of the way, if you can't win chases, it's not on the killer to let you go, is it?"

Did I say it was? It doesn't mean I have to enjoy being tunneled. Did I say "killers need to stop tunneling it's ruining my game!!" or did I say "I don't enjoy being tunneled 3 hooks in a row?"

Killers can do whatever they want as long as it's within the rules. Most survivors are capable of understanding that tunneling is sometimes effective and at the same time not like when it happens to them (or if it happens multiple trials in a row).

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

@brokedownpalace you say he is biased for asking survivors a question, so are the devs biased if they ask killers if they find chases fun?

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Nothing against you tho, but I assume you are bad at getting chased and you get downed quick right? Because that's almost everytime the mindset of someone who isn't good at (efficient) looping and therefore they don't enjoy beeing on hook after 15 seconds chasing.

I don't know a single player who is really good at getting chased long but don't enjoy it and rather avoid the killer as much as possible.

• Orion

I'm being needlessly divisive by asking a question about survivors without talking about killers simultaneously? Does everything have to be a survivors vs. killers issue to you? If so, I opened up a new thread where that's actually true, so you can take that attitude in there.

No, you didn't say it was, but the OP focuses on the idea that the killer is to blame for chasing a survivor for too long.

• brokedownpalace

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. I did not say he was biased for asking a question and in fact you can see in my response that I have no problem with the question itself. My issue was with how he phrased it and what else he included in his OP.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here. No.. Nobody is biased for asking survivors if they find chases fun.

• tt_ivi_99
    tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,463

I love being chased. If I manage to keep the killer running after my ass for 3 gens it's a win for me. If I get down in less than 2 gens I feel like I failed. If I get out alive or the killer DCs I just feel awesome.

No problem in getting tunneled if I ran you for more than 2 gens tbh, I get upset if I go down too fast and I get tunneled when the killer still has 4-5 gens left, that's kind of disgusting imo. Never dm killers tho, just move to the next game, start an argument because of a videogame is not worth my time.

• Orion

So you disagree that survivors as individuals have bizarre conditions about what constitutes tunneling? Keep in mind, I have said nothing about killers' bizarre conditions for other aspects of the game because this is a survivor-centered thread. It's not biased to focus on the matter at hand without making it into an "us vs. them" issue.

• BlowHard74728
    BlowHard74728 Member Posts: 60

I find being in a chase and juking my way out of that chase to be the most desirable. I don't want to be chased all game but I also don't want to hold R1 all game either.

The sweet in between is where I find my enjoyment on the survivor side.

• brokedownpalace

Eh, this is just not worth my time or energy. I answered your original question but I'm not gonna argue back and forth about this.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Very lazy logic. Most people enjoy the chase, but if you are coming at them right after the hook and they have not even had the time to try and heal or move out of the area, that is the opposite of fun. Especially right off the hook. That is fishing in a barrel with explosives. Too easy for the killer, no chance for the survivor.

The evasion and the chase are fun. I don't consider any "downing" from an even starting point (any point in which I was not just getting off the hook when immediately tunneled down) to be a fun, and fair event. I am usually laughing my arse off by the time the killer downs me, whether it is seconds or minutes into the chase. (All of this does not apply to Legion, whom does not have chases, just barrel fishing.)

Problem is, those are few and far between anymore. I don't play survivor much anymore, but when I do, it is mostly killers who hard camp and tunnel, or Legion. Very boring, thus why I prefer killer now, by a long shot!

• Orion

I didn't say anything about the hook, did I? In fact, in the trial I was thinking about when I opened this thread, the survivor was only hooked once, at the end, and still survived. I'd been chasing her throughout the entire trial, which she and the others claimed had "ruined" her game.

• Red_Beard
    Red_Beard Member Posts: 550

While playing survivor, the chase is definitely the most fun part for me. I love to run the killer for as long as I can. Games where the gens get done in four minutes and the killer doesn't even see me are the most boring. I wish I got more bloodpoints though.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

I enjoy medium chases more than long ones as a Survivor. Odd enough, I enjoy being a Jill of All Trades. I like working on Gens, getting unhooks and healing and helping others.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

For me yes.

• KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747

I love winning. Stealth seems to be more effective but I'm not very good, so I plan on looping but try stealth anyways. Chases are fun though, assuming I can get a good one.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

Not at all. Would you want to be chased by a maniac trying to kill you? Fun is sneaking around, avoiding the killer. For me, at least. I know many people that eventually get bored of this and enjoy the chase, once they're good enough. I'm not.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Here is an analysis on chases that I made right before this post was made (or at least before I saw this post anyways)