We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

I am scared to post here

Options
ironblade
ironblade Member Posts: 270
edited March 18 in General Discussions

Whenever I look at posts, I see so many accounts banned. I fear that whenever I comment or post here or share my thoughts, I immediately think about not getting my account banned.

Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,052
    Options

Be courteous, don't post excessively negatively, and otherwise don't go out of your way to be a jerk, and you're unlikely to see a ban.

• Bartlaus
    Bartlaus Member Posts: 1,025
    Options

In fact, more is tolerated in this forum than I would expect from a development studio. You won't get banned as long as you give Rizzo your milk money follow the rules.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

I don't get how people randomly get banned. I have one warning ever, but 1500+ posts. And I don't generally sugarcoat my posts.

• MrFirbyll
    MrFirbyll Member Posts: 13
    Options

I just posted a long post with suggestion in it and it got deleted. I don't know how to share feedback...

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,856
    edited March 2023
    Options
    • Don't insult people or be otherwise overly rude or bigoted.
    • Don't discuss leaks.
    • Don't encourage cheating or otherwise breaking rules or unsportsmanlike behaviour (such as DCing)

That's about it. Most people get banned because they get into heated arguments and say something stupid, or they keep saying things like "I always DC against killer x because I think I'm more important than other players". And it's typically repeat offences.

Oh and don't discuss specific cases of moderation/suspension/banning. Saying "I was suspended for so and so which I disagree with etc." will get you resuspended.

As you're a newer member on the forum, your account has this certain limitation. If you edit your posts, then they go into limbo for moderation, in which a mod has to manually authorise your posts to be shown on the forums, which can take time. (I'm not entirely sure why this is a thing for edits and not all posts, presumably they think trolls will edit their posts to get around rules or something)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,004
    edited March 2023
    Options

It's hard to get banned. Look at my post count. I ask myself if I'm being overly critical a lot. Just don't make anything personal and you're fine.

• MrFirbyll
    MrFirbyll Member Posts: 13
    Options

Yeah I edited it I was really respectful hopefully it will be back on.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,021
    edited March 2023
    Options

Well people say it's easy just follow the rules but some of the rules are highly subjective, which can make that difficult to know sometimes as it's completely up to interpretation. Feels like walking on egg shells sometimes. Even just "insulting" is ridiculously subjective and even varies by culture.

• Snowflake_Syndrome
    Snowflake_Syndrome Member Posts: 239
    Options
  • DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,451
    Options

Avoid politics and be nice. Now you are safe :)

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,685
    edited March 2023
    Options

I don't know for sure why so many people get banned on these forums, but it's most likely because DbD players tend to get heated and start making things personal when they disagree. Avoid any sort of insults, don't accuse people of things, and don't tell people to "calm down." Also, don't compare things within the game to real world diseases. And don't encourage people to break the game rules by doing things like disconnecting against killers they don't like. Read the forum rules, keep things civil, and you should be fine.

I'm extremely negative about the game, but I've never been banned. I try to direct most of my criticism at the game rather than the players or developers. I also use these forums to sort of scream into the void sometimes, but I try to tell people when I'm doing that so that they understand I'm upset with the game, not them. It's good to err on the side of caution, especially since tone of voice is difficult to convey via text, and avoiding misunderstandings in the first place is better than trying to explain yourself later. (If you're making a sarcastic joke about something, you probably want to mark it as such, because every far-reaching opinion has been seen on these forums; in other words, someone will think you're being serious.)

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,688
    Options

2 Steps to Avoid a Forum Ban

#1. Don't post or comment here within an hour of playing DBD

#2. See Step #1

I'm one offense away from a permaban.

It's been a while since my last ban, but if I remember correctly, I technically am on my 4th strike, and should already be permabanned.

2 of my bans were because I don't read forum rules, and I broke rules that, imo, weren't major offenses. In hindsight, I understand why the rules are in place, and I've had no problems avoiding them to-date.

My other 2 bans were because I was posting while playing DBD, my blood was already boiling, and I decided to give another forum memeber a piece of my mind. These bans weren't really a surprise (okay, well the second one actually was. I thought I chose some pretty creative language that'd fly under the radar as ill-mannered, but not terribly disrespectful).

Despite the position I'm in, it's pretty hard to get permabanned on here. You need to be pretty hurtful to get banned for poor conduct, so you're more likely to draw a warning or 1 week ban for not recognizing a rule that exists to maintain some order in this place.

Personally, I'm not stressed about getting perma banned. If it happens, it happens--I made 2 honest mistakes, but I recognize that I was a real POS two other times. I'd laugh my ass off if I get perma'd for "discussing previous bans" with this post.

Hope this helps.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,032
    Options

I got a temp-ban once for calling the devs 'walnuts', I believe. But that's the worst I've gotten.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,040
    Options

And yet you persevered and posted this thread. 🤗

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,187
    Options

Wait really? I didn't know that edited posts would end up like that, I thought I was going crazy lol. I often edit because of typos, my stupid auto-correct edits things in my language without me noticing it at first glance, and then my post disappears.. that explains so much 🥲

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    Options

I've been here for a few years and I've only been warned once and it was warranted - I was being a bit of an ass about something and it could've come across as insulting/belittling towards the dev team.

That's the thing though, I'm pretty sure unless what you post is seriously bad you will always be warned first.

I've been very harsh towards the content and mindset of the developers in the past and not once been warned or banned for it, it's when you cross a certain line and it becomes more mockery/insults then criticism when the moderators will step in.

Also worth pointing out, I think Mandy has said in the past that Rant threads are completely fine and allowed. They aren't considered toxic or anything so long as they are purely rants and not targetting anyone.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,061
    Options

You won't get randomly banned. - But threads/posts do sometimes just disappear. Sometimes it's clear why - sometimes not so much. There have been a number of threads I clicked on in the morning, then went about my day and when I saw the open tabs in the evening and remembered I wanted to reply, the thread didn't exist anymore. Sometimes a post may get edited without you ever learning about it, except if you happen to scroll back up and see the edit by someone else. --- Ngl, sometimes I can't help but be a bit bamboozled by certain deletes/edits but at the end of the day it's at the discretion of the mods. As a rule of thumb: assume stuff will be interpreted as you being serious and meaning it literal. Sarcasm and irony as well as polemic statements seem more likely to not remain as they were.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

Sometimes edits also get caught in the forum spam filters and you need a mod to pull them out

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,685
    Options

If one of your posts is deleted and you don't know why, it's probably either because you edited it and it got caught in the spam filter and now needs to be approved, or you replied to someone who broke the rules and because the original post was deleted many/all replies to it were as well. I've seen entire conversations disappear out of a thread because the first post in the conversation broke the rules.

If your post breaks the rules and is deleted, I think a mod will always DM you about it. If it wasn't your post that broke the rules but someone else's, your post may be edited to remove the offending post or it may just be quietly deleted.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

You really should be clear when you gonna be sarcastic, sometime you'll be taken as opposite side lol

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,397
    Options

I wish I could agree with you but dcing and self unhooking is openly encouraged without punishment. I watched a thread solely dedicated to punishing these acts and half the 100+ comments were endorsing this behavior

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251
    Options

the behavior of certain groups or nations should not be discussed in the forum, even if they are not named directly as this could lead to possible discrimination. creating such a contribution that could take a possible discriminatory direction will lead to a strike.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,520
    Options

I’m still here so tbh the rules aren’t overly strict

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options

goodbye, friend

• Jocelynbee
    Jocelynbee Member, Administrator, Mod, Co-ordinator Posts: 1,188
    Options
    • Please avoid discussing moderation publicly - please discuss any consequences with the moderator that notified you

This discussion has been closed.