Do You Think the Anniversary Killer Will Be Licensed?

Options

For two or so years in a row, we have seen BHVR place their own, original chapters in the position of the vaunted Anniversary release window, with the Roots of Dread and End Transmission chapters. These chapters both featured rather unique killers with macro-focused powers and non-humanoid forms, however, these killers have become rather unpopular, possibly due to many small frustrations in the killers' powers, or because of the killers' unique playstyles where the most popular killers are much more simple, chase/movement oriented killers, or perhaps simply because these killers are considered average in strength.

I have seen a decent amount of people look down on these two chapters compared to prior anniversaries, which have almost, if not all been licensed killers, like the wildly successful Silent Hill and Resident Evil chapters. Do you think BHVR should return to focusing on licenses for their anniversary chapters, or do you like the original content we've gotten these past two years? Do you have any guess as to whether or not they'll have another license for the anniversary?

I personally have greatly enjoyed the Roots of Dread and End Transmission chapters, as well as every other original killer since around the Dredge's release. I wouldn't mind if they gave the anniversary release window to their own creation again, especially because it seems like a great time--as with the Dredge--to make a killer who builds on DbD's own lore in some greater fashion.

Comments

• Risky_Biscuit
    Risky_Biscuit Member Posts: 95
    Options

Dredge was a great killer. He did a bit of everything in his kit, and brought some horror back to DBD. Singularity felt like an attempt at doing the same thing, but it fell short because of how much built-in counterplay it had, and just how clunky playing him felt.

I'm personally hoping that whatever we get for an anniversary chapter this time, will be something the community has been wanting, like Springtrap.

I know some people really hate the idea, but if he does finally join the roster, along with a fitting map, I think he could be one of the most hype licenses yet. I'm still holding out hope for FNAF. It has a movie out, with a sequel in the works. No longer just a little indie horror game anymore.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,937
    Options

I hope, at the very least, we get an alien or beast Killer since I just want to see more creatures added to the game. I know we have Demogorgon and Xenomorph, but I’d love to see something original so I can have more cosmetics to toy around with.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 856
    edited March 22
    Options

I personally hope so. I dont trust bhvr doing original anniversary chapters anymore. Because when they do, they literally neglect them in cosmetics on their debut. Haddie, gabriel, singularity and to a certain extent dredge( doesnt get much but when it does, knocks it out the park).

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 449
    Options

I dont think so.

This year we receved Alien, Chucky, Alan Wake and (correct me if I'm wrong) Nick Cage.

There were many licences brought into the game this year. I think they will stick to the original content for this one.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 742
    edited March 22
    Options

I’d love a second silent hill chapter for the anniversary

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

no matter if its licensed or original i hope the killer has no ranged ability or some kind of rush movement ability. give us something simple like legion

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,382
    Options

Could go either way at this point. Year 8 went 2-for-2 on licensed chapters, with two bonus licenses in the mid-chapters.

It’s hard to say, really. It would be very impressive if they landed another license, but it’s by no means outside the realm of possibility.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,226
    Options

Hopefully not... Legion has no depth at all, there is nothing killer specific about Legion that cannot be learned within 10 min...

I dont care about what power he has as long he has stuff to learn that require some commitment and time and a certain depth. The most boring killers in the game are those that basically can be learned within 1 game.

• Archol123
    Options

I think Singularity is a great killer, but probably too time consuming and hard for the average player, however I prefer his design over a killer with little to no depth and stuff to learn because I think the most fun stuff about a new killer is all stuff you need to learn and figure out, all the little tricks and so on.

I dont really care whether it is licensed or original, as long as the killer is well designed and not a complete mess for either side I'm happy.

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 480
    Options

I dont think so. I assume we will see another Original-Chapter before we will see a License, which - for me - is perfectly fine.

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 480
    Options

The Problem with Singularity is the Map-Design. Too many obstacles to block the pathing of your Pods. You have to invest far too much to get injuries. If you manage to slipstream a survivor, the survivor should receive a debuff or something. Currently, it just gives you the opportunity to teleport behind them.

Also, Soma Family Photo should be Basekit.

• Archol123
    Options

Map design does not only effect him, I will agree though that it effects him more than others... For example indoor maps effect killers like Huntress Billy or Blight as well, but singularity just becomes painful.

Would be fine I think, many people agree that the addon is almost required to play him against people who know what they are doing.

• Starrseed
    Options

and there in nothing wrong with once in a while a new killer being simple.

sure the killer needs to be somewhat good and needs to make fun but the fun thing is diffrent for everyone. for me the killers that need a ton of practice just to be decent are boring cause the matchmaking is so bad learning a complecated killer means loosing 20+ matches and getting destroyed just to get a grip on the killer.

dbd has many complex killer that get stronger and stronger the more you master there ability so a more simple killer like legion or plague will not hurt.

but ofcourse that whole thing is a matter of taste and everyone of us has a diffrent taste

• Archol123
    Options

I didn't say something about simple killer... Plague might be simple on paper but she has depth, because there is a certain killerspecific skill cap on her, learning the projectile of the vomit and so on.

I think the best designed killers in that regard are those that are easy to pick up but offer depth. For example Blight or Wesker or even Billy to some degree. You can use their power just to traverse the map and play them as an m1 killer otherwise, but their power is deep enough to have something to learn if you want to be better at them.

Legion does not have that kind of depth, and that's what I think is problematic, there is just nothing to learn.

It is not about a killer being simple or not but about whether or not the killer has depth in their design or if the killer is just flat.

A killer that is basically mastered after one game should not be strong, as the strength of a killer should be reflected in the amount of time it took to master him. A very hard killer should be strong, a killer that is basically mastered immediately would be kind of unfair, as you could just pick him him up and win every match without investing time or effort into getting towards that result.

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 372
    Options

I am hoping they bring out more killers with interactive side objectives. The best example is Cenobite. I also enjoy the trap minigame from Pig. This gives more options to play for both sides.

• Starrseed
    Options

ofcourse a killer that is easier to master should not bring the same strengh then a killer like nurse or blight that certainly eat a lot of time to master but that deos not mean a killer that has less depth should be just bad because easy.

what i wanted to say is i would like the next killer to have less depth and be simpler to jump in cause thats the kind of killer i enjoy. that a purely personal thing i dont enjoy getting stomped while i learn a komplex character. everyone who does enjoy that power to them but thats not for me and i would like to se a killer that fits me next

• Archol123
    edited March 22
    Options

But then why not a killer that is simple to pick up but has some depth? Those two things are not exclusive to each other.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

We'll see, from a business perspective I don't think it would make sense. The anniversary attracts players back to the game as is. Licenses also bring players back to the game. Spreading those things out likely results in the best player base retention (compared to having one super event which then sees a drop off).

• Starrseed
    Options

but is that possible? ofcourse i would like a killer that has both so everyone can have fun with them but i dont know if bhvr can do that.

• Archol123
    Options

I just mentioned 3 killers before that are simple to pick up but have depth xD

Blight and Billy for example... You can just zoom around with the power and then go for m1 attacks...

• Archol123
    Options

There is a difference between skill floor (skill needed to pick up the killer) and skill ceiling (skill required to master the killer).

For example legion has a low skill floor and skill ceiling, you don't really need to learn anything specific to pick him up and very little to master him.

Billy has a low skill floor because his power is rather simple to grasp and you can just use it for map traversal, his skill ceiling is immense though, knowing collisions, curving, zoning and what not.

Nurse has a high skill floor, because no normal m1 killer gameplay is possible, but when you got the grasp of where you will blink after holding the blink for a certain time and so on there is not that much anymore to learn, her skill ceiling is still really high though.

• Starrseed
    Options

That's funny enough exactly the type of killer I dont want to see again. Its the typ of killer I feel like I need to slug myself through a ton of games just for the killer to feel decently fun.

And believe me I tried it I tried Nurse,Billy, wesker and Chucky and in chucky I especially invested time cause I love that killer so much.

After 25 games I still fellt like I just picked the killer up and I was maybe hitting one m2 if I was lucky.

But I have to be honest to myself it's a lack of skill on my part I know that. I struggle too much with movement killer and range killer (the only exception being slinger I'm half way decent with him dont know why). And I would much more prefer a different power the using a powr just to traverse the map

That's why I like killers like Legion or plague and even trapper sometimes. I would like a new killer that is more like them.

• Archol123
    Options

I don't know man... A decently strong killer that does not require much to perform well is just a bad concept, because it will dump the load of investment onto the survivors. If you as the killer don't need to get good at a killer you are by Design rewarded with good performance for nothing however the survivors will still need to put in time and effort to outperform you again... Creating a form of balance that just feels like you didn't earn the outcome you get.

You cannot really expect to do well if you don't take the time to learn how to... And I don't support the idea that it should be otherwise.

• Starrseed
    Options

I mean I don't want to have Nurse lvls of power that would be absolutly ridiculous im eith you on that but legion is alright may could need a little work but overall quite alright and the same goes for plague.

• Archol123
    Options

Plague is arguably in the top 10 of strongest killers, but she has depth to it so it is Allright.

• Starrseed
    Options

Yeah but she has the right lvl of depth. Her m2 is simple and effective without mastering it but she only becomes really good when you have mastered her. That's basicly what I would like to see eith the next killer

• Archol123
    Options

Ehm... How is that any different from what I said before about Killers like Billy and Blight xD

• Starrseed
    Options

Because I see a big difference between the abilities. When you are new to plague you can still infect them with the movement abilities its just hitting objects 90% of the time until you got better.

Maybe I just don't want another dash or range killer next cause I'm not good with them

• Archol123
    Options
  • Starrseed
    Options

Like Billy or wesker or Blight these dash movement type abilities.

• Archol123
    Options

Oooh you were missing a comma... I thought that was part of the stuff about plague...

I mean with Billy you can still backrev fairly easily or even hit cross maps.

As Blight you can use two or three dashes to hit people without training much.

I dont think they are that different.

• Starrseed
    Options

Yeah well like I said it's probably a me problem.

I'm not good with those abilities and I have a really hard time getting any better with them. Same goes for range killer but it's not as bad with them as with the dash abilities

And well it can't hurt to wish for a killer that is not like that

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

dredge and larry are great people should play them more. as a larry main I reccomend bamboozle+rapid brutality+corrupt+surge

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 230
    Options

DBDs 8th anniversary coincides with the 10th anniversary for FNAF, so it may finally be Springtrap's time to walk into the fog

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,636
    Options

I think it’ll be a licensed chapter, hope it goes well!! Can’t wait to see what BHVR is cooking for us.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

If its original I hope they go top shelf ala Warewolf, Pirate, Vampire etc.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,660
    edited March 23
    Options

No idea but I'm never really that excited for the anniversary killers since they usually end up kind meh while the chapter after the anniversary is normally a banger. My opinion of course.

• Anniversary Killers: Clown, Ghostface, Pyramid Head, Nemesis, Dredge, Singularity

Clown, Dredge and Singularity are just kind of there. Pyramid Head/Nemesis majorly need add-on and QoL stuff while Ghostface is in a good spot.

• Chapter After: Spirit, Demo, Blight, Pinhead, Wesker, Alien

Spirt/Blight are top rated killers. Demo/Wesker are widely loved by the community. Alien is just kind of there and Pinhead is generally hated.

If I had to choose I'd take the second list easily over the first. Going back to the original topic, comparing the license vs original of the first list I think I rather have another license. I do like Ghostface and would love Nemesis/Pyramid head if they had some help. All the originals I found kind of meh and Clown is my favorite of that list.

Edit: Accidently hit post comment. T_T

Post edited by ohheyitsbobcat on
  • Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

I think it will be and I hope it will be licensed.

I dont mind original Content, in fact I prefer it over licensed Content (for the most part), because I feel they can use their creativity better with original content (even tho it might not always turn out to ba a good or at least healthy Killer...).

But I think for the Anniversary it is always better if it is a licensed Killer, because the Anniversary is special and so the chapter should be special as well. I think they did good with Dredge and Singularity, both are creative Killers and both are at least decent. But I dont think that they can really compare to Silent Hill or Resident Evil joining the game.

(And well, in theory we could have also gotten Skull Merchant as Anniversary Chapter...)

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    Options

God I hope not.

All Things Wicked was the best chapter that came out of this year and it's not even a challenge, the only one that holds a candle is End Transmission. How are you gonna get Chucky and Alien both and neither of them make any impact on the dbd landscape because their powers are just rehashed unoriginal versions of things we've seen before?

No, I hope it's original, because I'm so fatigued with licences and I don't trust them to be done justice gameplay wise. At least I still trust for originals