Why does Devour Hope even exist

Options
Doxie
Doxie Member Posts: 48

I am still newish, and part because I'm seeing more of it.... especially in solo... But here I am, playing a good game with teammates that are not so good. I avoid the killer, escape, do gens, wait for the good time to unhook…basically play the way I should. No hooks and then I realize I'm going to have to run interference while teammates are are two hooks in. One hit, down , moir. I mean playing a great game and then dead. Isn't this kinda opposite what they are going for. I get punished if I don't unhook, heal people. Gens and escape...I fail to get emblems, but if I play…instant dead. Then I get a stupid killer that tells me I need to get better. One hit and I'm garbage? Besides spending every game looking for every totem, which is a waste, what's the counter? Lockers and hide entire game? It's just unfun.

Comments

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,180
    edited March 30
    Options

Detectives hunch from tap is a very good totem perk that passively reveals totems (and more) nearby when gens get done. They also auto track to any map you have.

• Alcuin
    Alcuin Member Posts: 457
    Options

It's a pretty dumb perk. Sometimes it gets cleansed early if not paired with Undying, but it's usually in a good spot and as long as the Killer gets one or two insta-downs, the match is over. It makes matches very anti-climatic.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,747
    Options

it insane but hex perks can be broken immediately so it balance.

🤣🤣Nothing worse than whooping a killer ass and devour hope/no(ob)-ed proc to landslide the game.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,251
    Options

Because it's an interesting idea for a perk. That's the reason it exists.

It has a very powerful effect but it requires the killer to put in quite a bit of work, leave the hook (so it won't work when the killer camps) and it can be deactivated before it does anything. So it's a high risk - high reward perk, which is exactly what hex perks are meant to be.

It would probably be fine without the mori (though that should be compensated slightly) but other than that, it's fine. There are only so many totem spawns on each map (which you can either learn or use perks to find) and if you destroy the hex totem (the one that glows), then the hex perk is completely deactivated and the killer plays with 3 perks remaining for the rest of the match.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

It's lit from the start of the game and requires at least 3 hooks before it starts really doing anything, and at least 5 hooks to get stupidly strong.

Even with Undying that only requires two hex totems to be cleansed and then it's gone and two dead perks the killer then doesn't have.

The moment they get their first insta-down from it, all the survivors get alerted it's there and should be dropping everything to cleanse it.

• E5150
    E5150 Member Posts: 74
    Options

It's one of the more interesting perks in my opinion. It incentivizes chases instead of camping, and rewards the killer if they pressure enough. Even then, you can always find the totem and the killer loses a whole perk.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,846
    edited March 31
    Options

People have already pointed out why Hex: Devour Hope is the way that it is, so to avoid being redundant, I’ll just leave you with this:

~ If finding the Hex Totem is an issue, I can recommend running Small Game to help; you can also bring a Map (item), with the "Track The Killer's Belongings" addon (which saves a perk slot and lets you track certain Killer powers).

Post edited by Iron_Cutlass on
  • Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options
  • Archael
    Archael Member Posts: 717
    Options

As much as i understand Your frustration (i had simmilar match), i have to say, that Devour Hope is one of few Hex perks that are worth using. Those perks are high risk high reward perks, because You can easly remove it from the game and leave killer with only 3 perks. There is lot of perks that helps dealing with totems, and map, that is IMO very underrated item. Toolboxes may saves You few seconds of doing gens, while map may saves You tons of seconds of looking for totems.

• Archael
    Options
  • Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,726
    Options

Another risk/reward. though again, you can always just wait until the last gen is powered then patrol the totem spots a bit looking for the totem aura

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    edited March 31
    Options

Yea I mean no one does bones though unless another hex pops up…. Its the same thing as hope basically.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

Ok so now its 2 perks combined that are a problem? That's called a synergy.

• Archael
    Options

I was reffering to answer that to counter noed is to clense all dull totems, and my respond can be paraphrased to: its not as simple as just clensing dull totems. There is also pendimento that makes this simple activity another mindgame - should we clense all totems? When should we clense all totems? Did my teammates clensed some totems?

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

Right, there are counters to counters. That's how games work. There's also a counter to pentimento, you could bring maps, you could bring detectives hunch, or counterforce to very quickly cleanse them.

• Archael
    edited March 31
    Options
  • Doxie
    Options

Ok but.... Without knowing the killer that point is mute at best. Yes there are counters… but you'd have to go in knowing. If I saw Michael waiting for me in the lobby, I'd change my build in a heart beat. Point is .. if I only do gens, or if I only hide and try to escape.... I'm punished....point wise. Why is this not the same with these perks?

• Archael
    Options

You have to be prepared for either:

1. Every situation

2. Things that bothers You the most.

People who hates being camped the most, brings anti camping perks (not much of them unfortunately).

Most, advanced players can find totems in no time, but i am bringing map with addon that shows killer belongings, or totem tracking perks. If hexes is what bothers You the most, You can do simmilar thing.

But yeah, hexes are suppouse to be powerfull because can be broken easely.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

Play killer and find out how hard it actually is to get value from Devour.

Everyone who has played killer knows the pain of loading in with lethal to see a survivor instantly walk to your totem and start cleansing or to see your totem has spawned in next to a generator.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,342
    Options

I don't even rememeber the last time I saw Devour Hope.

The thing is, it is very risky perk that has high reward but also big chance of doing nothing and being gone before you even get to two tokens.

Its heavy RNG, and most of the time it gets cleansed anyway.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,251
    Options

Huntress Lullaby, Ruin, Thrill Of The Hunt and Two Can Play are the other extreme.

Hex perks are supposed to be high risk - high reward perks. But many of them are pretty terrible either because the reward is too low or because they don't have a high enough risk.

Devour Hope on the other hand is a well designed perk in that regard.

• Doxie
    Options

Again...I'm being punished for preparing for totems where I will lack in gens or some other. For the other comment, I don't need to run devour hope .... I want to actually play. Chase them off gens, chess match....not just walk up, stab them once and feel good about really doing nothing. I don't get how that's fun...that's just lazy and not playing

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,101
    Options

To devour all hope.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,211
    Options

If you got moried in your first down, you missed the warning that tells you that Devour Hope is in play, two tokens before the killer can start mori people. The only surprise here is that it wasn't cleaned 14 seconds after starting the match.

Next time, the moment you see the warning tell your friends to look up for the totem and clean it.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,229
    Options

Bring a map or Detective's Hunch until you learn the totem spawns. If you don't have Detective's Hunch available then use Small Game. Once you have the totem spawns down you'll figure out the issues with Devour Hope. If you don't want to do that you shouldn't call anyone who runs Devour Hope lazy (which they're not anyway; it's a high risk gamble that requires set-up and often just gets cleansed).

• oedalis
    oedalis Member Posts: 4
    Options

Besides spending every game looking for every totem, which is a waste, what's the counter?

Detective's Hunch to track gens and totems, Inner Strength to heal after breaking a totem, Overzealous for gen repair speed after breaking a totem, BADA-BING it's no longer a waste of time to break bones.

• Doxie
    Options

First do you play survivor and second .. is this your build always and third do you spend the game looking for totems? Then let's add a killer like the newly buffed Huntress… there is little risk. Just went up against one .. 1 gen completed, two of the three hexes found, two people quit and bots took place. Guess we should have spent more time on the totems huh

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,726
    Options

The recommendations of detective's hunch and/or small game are for if you aren't familiar with the spawn locations for totems. If you already have a good idea of where most/all of them are (or at least understand their spawn logic) then you don't necessarily need to run those perks.