How do you treat baby / new survivors as killer?

Options
Nebula
Nebula Member Posts: 1,392

This is always something I struggle with. Most of the time I try to leave them alone throughout the match and end up giving them hatch, but I always struggle with the thought that maybe I'm depriving them a chance to learn and get better? If I do end up chasing them, I'll usually try to whiff a couple of times or path poorly to get their excitement up, but part of me still does feel bad that it might be obvious that I'm going easy on them.

Thoughts? I want to give these new players a good and fun experience without it feeling forced, what are some things you guys do to achieve this?

Comments

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,179
    Options

I make sure they don't reach endgame I'm not boosting them into harder lobbies

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 451
    Options

I don't see too many new survivors at my MMR anymore. When I switched to PC for the first time though it was common.

I would do things like not respect pallets but also let them get the stun, and I would then always kick the pallet. I would try not to go for lunges too much, and as soon as I hook I would never camp unless a survivor was nearby that I can see.

I think for true baby survivors, the novelty amd thrill stops baby survivors getting frustrated, as getting caught by the killer is still scary amd fun.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,234
    Options
  • Nebula
    Options

Making it to endgame has no impact on MMR, only escaping through the gates grants you a boost in MMR. Escaping through the hatch is considered a draw and grants no MMR.

Add on to this that the majority of the time you encounter a new player as an experienced player, it's because they're playing with another experienced player, so they'll almost always be matched against people that are way better than them. I'd like to give them a good time instead of being just another stomp.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

Depends on player's playstyle. Some newbies are super toxic for no reason with literally 0 skill in the pocket. I don't know where they took it from, probably some youtubers, but i'm always for make them suffer.
    But if new player is just trying his best, i left him to endgame and will start to meme around with him. If he meme with me, i let him go, if not, he will be on hook. In this way, I want to remind new survivors that you should not take game too seriously.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    edited April 8
    Options

I wasn't programmed to hurt baby survivors...especially if they are part of the crew.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,126
    Options

I just play the game like normal so they can learn from mistakes, no point in treating them like babies they'll never learn that way and develop bad habits along the way

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,827
    Options

I just play normally, if they die or live, it happens. Ideally you want them to lose so they lose MMR and get paired with other new players, but matchmaking isn’t perfect, so I tend to just play like I normally do.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

I like to let new Survivors experience the kind n gentle side of the Killer😌

Survivor players get enough harsh experiences from the greater majority of Killer players, especially lately considering the extreme Hard Tunnel and Camping Fever relentlessness that’s become the mainstream.

Some seasoned teams just insist on begging to be slugged…

tho, I play almost all my matches chill n meemy, and certainly never go out of my way to ruin Baby Survivor’s first impressions of DBD.

• Nebula
    Options

This is more so my thought process. I'd like to give them a break from what I assume is probably some frustrating games, let them try to take me on a chase and have a laugh or two.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Depending on if we think they're actually new, we will give a free "hook state" aka not immediately kill them off when at our very little mercy. They'll still probably die at the end, but we'll give them atleast a chance to learn or earn blood points.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,100
    Options

KILL

• kaoraku
    kaoraku Member Posts: 247
    Options

It depends… If they are cute and or funny I let them leave. I know it is not good for them, since their MMR will go up. But since it is usually only 1 person I can take them to the hatch.

If I see that they just watched some youtube short and now they try to bully me - well then I stomp then and hopefully they learn some respect (for the killer, not for those who made the video, since most of those are stomping too).

If rarely I encounter it as a killer (i rarely play survivor) and they was nice, and worked their ass and I see that they not just some hissy angry kid after others get out I stay so they can get points on me

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,139
    Options

Spanking them a bit, taking care not "killing" them too fast.

I slowly go up to 8 hooks and, if they've not given up, I let them out.

On the killer side, I'm often playing the Nurse. I wouldn't feel good crushing beginners with her.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 261
    Options

Depents on what they are doing:

if they annoy me with any tricks they clearly shouldn't try at their stage or get to arrogant when I give them chances I just kill them brutally.

if they don't I just loop and mindgame like normal but don't hit them to show them that they would be dead normally. So they get many chances to get better, but after a while I still kill them most of the time. I won't let them win just because they are new xD

• Slurpin
    Slurpin Member Posts: 106
    Options

I'll avoid tunnelling them but I'll try not to let them escape. My goal with babies is to make sure they get a game, but they shouldn't win it. There's nothing worse than newbies being constantly tunnelled because they're the weak links and they end up never learning, or simply have no fun doing so.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270
    Options

I will make sure they won't exit through the gate and take the hatch(unless im playing chainsaw billy and there's one gen left and they are the last survivor which in case i will give them the left behind achievement) gotta and delay the mmr from screwing them over

And I will stand next to the hook at egc if I realize it's a baby killer who has no kills and give them a free kill

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,758
    Options

Baby survivors I will just let live. I rarely get baby killers but if I do I will give them a run but I will also let them have the kill because my solo team mates sure don't show kindness usually.

• Talwuzhere
    Talwuzhere Member Posts: 15
    Options

Im ngl I both love and feel bad that I'm getting baby survivors lmao. Their pathing is very obvious and so are their plays. They are incredibly endearing to me provided they are altruistic and try to be good teammates despite their newness to the game.

I will down them like normal - hoping they will learn in the next chase. Finding one in a corner is always funny. I usually end up developing a soft spot for them and will either become friendly once everyone is death hook or let them go specifically at end game.

I will always remember the god like killers (at least to me then) who took pity on me lol. It gave me a memorable experience and I hope to pass that on. Esp as a Wesk :)

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,351
    Options

Mercilessly kill the vets, then boopage and a little farming with the obvious newbies.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Yeah, I think it provides a little bit of good balance for them. They’ll remember certain matches, both positive and negative; and I believe the stress of figuring the game out in the first 100+ hours is alleviated by matches w helpful (more friendly, I guess) Killers as opposed to the often overbearing feeling of constantly losing as a DBD beginner.

I’ve made some really good, nice online gaming friends this way, as well, fwiw.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 646
    edited April 8
    Options

It depends on my mood, but if I'm feeling generous I usually just play a bit slower, using the game mostly as an opportunity to practice my powers. Maybe I'll pretend to find something interesting on the other side of the map if they need a reset to heal and regroup. Since they're usually too scared to touch gens within the killer's terror radius, these games can last a long time, even if you don't defend / kick gens.

I'll alternate hook states until 3 are dead and hopefully everyone has earned some BP. Then I let the last one go (same as I always do, regardless of skill).

But sometime I regret my choices when the last two go into hiding. If this happens, I'll try to 4K if I can because it's pretty boring circling the map trying to find extra stealthy survivors. Maybe it's fun for them to evade me for so long, but I'll still feel like they're wasting my time and haven't acknowledged that I've been very, very easy on them.