If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Tunneling Questionnaire

Options
ScottJund
ScottJund Member Posts: 1,113

Hey guys I'm doing a bit of a study about tunneling and people's perceptions of tunneling and hoped the official forums could also help me out in collecting data. Its very simple, and shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeyqBc92aMITRXDlSDXZHT6auH6BZnBCmF9F6V6AmPM2HeZvg/viewform

Comments

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 359
    Options

I should be working and doing my job, but you asked nicely so how can I say no.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    edited April 9
    Options

Yeah, if anything doesn't go a person's way, you have a plethora of things to fling at the opposing player(s). Tunneling, camping, toxic, teabagging, etc. It goes on and on.

This questionnaire video better be good lol < 3

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,061
    Options

This ^ x100

People scream tunneling way, way more than it's actually happening. Coincidentally running into the same person isn't tunneling.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 670
    Options

Good questionnaire but like mentioned a little barebones. I'd posit these other questions:

When do you feel tunneling becomes "acceptable". 3 gens remaining? 2? When Exit Gates are powered?

Have you ever tunneled for a meme, such as Lore Accurate Nemesis?

Can tunneling be used as a punishment tool (Unhooking a Survivor just hooked before the Killer can get a good distance away)

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Done, though I definitely agree with @AbsolutGrndZer0 and @TatsuiChiyo here.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,345
    edited April 9
    Options

Submitted.

I didn't like the question about "is it still tunneling if someone bodyblocks" because, yes, it is tunneling but it's something that I think a lot of people wouldn't necessarily view as bad.

I'd also like to add that while I see tunneling almost every game, it doesn't happen to ME every game.

All that said, I like the idea behind it

• Unimatrix00
    Unimatrix00 Member Posts: 452
    Options

But it isn't tunnelling anymore, imho. So, obviously, people are going to have much different opinions than you.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,134
    Options

bodyblocking when you just got off the hook your asking to be tunneled.

• Pulsar
    edited April 10
    Options

It IS tunneling, but it's justified tunneling, you know? There's a distinction.

You are going after the Survivor you hooked last, which is tunneling, but they're forcing your hand.

Like, how is that NOT tunneling via the very definition of it?

Post edited by Pulsar on
  • mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,771
    Options

I think one aspect of the questionnaire that isn't addressed is how often tunneling happens in your matches. You ask how often someone personally is tunneled, but not how often their matches involve tunneling. All too often its the baby Meg that gets tunneled at 5 gens, and it still ruins my match even when I'm not the primary tunnel victim. If it happens 20% to me because I'm the baby Meg, that could mean it is as low as 20% of matches (as I'm the only one getting tunneled) or as high as 80% of matches (as all 4 Survs take turns being tunneled at that theoretical 20% personal rate).

• goodfriday
    goodfriday Member Posts: 209
    Options

Done I wish you asked if your a streamer player or not, it may not sound important but honestly 90% of killers seem to hate streamers specially if they are survivor mains lol.

Also its tricky to answer the time one, I only play dbd if I feel like it now do to how bad its got vs I use to stream the game everyday for 8 hours+.

Finally the which killers that tunnel most I feel they all do does not even matter who now , but if I am to be a little more clear its usually the ones with high mobility or can teleport/warp does.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

~Am I supposed to go "Oh, well you just got off hook, so I will let you finish that generator."~

Don’t need to let them continue repairing that gen, but if they’re still injured and it’s a brief to nonexistent chase, (if I even bother to hit them w/o going to find someone else first) I’ll at least just leave them slugged while continuing on to the next.

Not a fan of Double Hooking, I just don’t play that way

but everyone has their own gameplay preferences

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,644
    Options

I just want to say thank you for including Australia on the list and not sticking us under ‘Other’ like a lot of other things like this do.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,168
    edited April 10
    Options

I have a suggestion to make. You asked how many times we think we are tunneled. This however brings the problem, that we are only 1 of 4 survivors, that could all be tunneled, so the percentage should be lower than in actuality.

If you want the actual numbers, then it would be better to phrase it as: How often do you think killers tunnel?

Post edited by Xernoton on
  • Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,168
    Options

That's just semantics. I don't consider it tunneling because in my opinion, tunneling is a killer's conscious decision to go for the same survivor again. But in this case, someone else has made the decision for them.

It comes down to the same thing but it imposes the question, if anti tunneling features should should protect you in that situation.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 467
    Options

I'm curious how people responded to "which Killer tunnels you most frequently" to see if there's a pattern. For me, the Wraith seems to tunnel me more than any other Killer...

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

I just can't agree with that, You targeted another survivor and the last survivor forced your attention toward them, meanwhile tunneling implies you are intent on singling out 1 survivor.

• Pulsar
    Options

Tunneling is, "Hooking the same Survivor multiple times in a row." That's about the most basic definition possible.

It's like camping to me. You obviously aren't gonna leave the hook if there's someone nearby. Are you still camping? Yes! Is that a bad thing? No! I think a lot of people, given that scenario, wouldn't blame the Killer for sticking around.

Same with this scenario. If someone bodyblocks you and you down/hook them, are you tunneling? By the very basic definition, yes! Is that the same as doing it unprompted? No!

• ScottJund
    Options

Yeah one of the main points I want to discuss are the differences between Killer-chosen tunneling and Survivor-induced tunneling with examples exactly like you described. Complaining about the latter as a survivor is something people have to stop doing but a lot of people don't realize what it is and then just complain about the tunneling.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,164
    edited April 10
    Options

Since you asked so nicely anything for you

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,689
    Options

Curious to see how this turns out, keep us updated with the data you collect!

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,893
    edited April 10
    Options

A lack of perceptive overview makes up some of this problem. As a survivor you often don't have the full story about why you might have been chased again, you only have your narrow in game experience. So our collective imagination tends to fill in the blanks and "tunneling" is a great scape goat in those scenarios.

Hence players saying they get accused of tunneling because by happenstance they found the same survivor again or lost another survivor and wound up hooking the same survivor again.

It's not lying but it can be self deceptive.

Couple this circumstance with the opinion that its somehow unfair or bad play to be hooked twice in a row and suddenly you have a broad platform with which to call getting hooked twice in any scenario being "tunneled".

I've been accused of "tunneling" even when I've hooked another survivor prior to re-hooking the "tunneled" individual. I think the lack of overview and player mindset are a large part of this.

The idea that "enough other players need to be hooked before I can be hooked again" is at best silly and at worst game ruining.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,222
    Options

Then they complain that you slugged them. As bad if not worse of an offense.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

If they’re intelligent and have common sense they’ll be thankful that they weren’t tunneled.

If they’re the last player in the match, then yeah there not many other plays for the Killer. Since there are other Survivors aside from the one being now, currently, chased, then the one on the ground would only have justifiable grief toward the teammates if they choose not pick downed Survivor up.

There’s a difference between being downed and being slugged, imo. Downed is having some timeframe for an opportunity to be picked up or pick one’s self up. Slugged means there’s no hope for getting up and Survivors are forced to crawl around the ground like a slug.

Yes, most people will inevitably complain about something, and realistically their complaints aren’t always justifiable.

• ScottJund
    Options

A few results for you guys so far. It seems tunneling is pretty uniform in every region (Except Asia, except the N value was only 38 so its pretty inaccurate). Time of day also slightly influences rates, and people feel as if they are tunneled more often if they play very late at night and early morning.

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302
    Options

Virtually every single match that I play has the killer 3 hook someone, then 3 hook the next person until they win. They will leave the hook just long enough to bait an unhook but will never actually commit to chasing anyone else. They use perks like Corrupt Intervention, Deadlock, Dead Man's Switch and so on to ensure they have enough time to tunnel without needing to apply pressure to the group.

• Pulsar
    Options

I feel like a lot of people do recognize that.

Once again, sort of like camping, it doesn't really help to make them feel better about it.

It sucks to be on the hook and see a teammate hang around and then the Killer hangs around. Objectively, we know that's the right play and the Killer is totally justified in doing it, but we're still stuck on the hook being camped.

Likewise, it sucks to make the objectively correct play and take a hit, then be tunneled for it. Objectively, is the Killer completely correct to tunnel you out? Absolutely! It still feels very bad in the moment though.

I do actually think that straight-up Killer-chosen tunneling is vastly more common, especially in the landscape of today's game. I do not like this idea of fixing things with perks; if they are gonna address tunneling it has to be in the base game.

• ScottJund
    Options

Can you just make a Twitch account and stream one day? No mic, webcam, I'd just love to see why some people's experiences are the complete opposite of mine.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,644
    Options

I guess this is kind of one of the reasons why everyone has different experiences to tunnelling. There is no real definition of tunneling so it’s pretty much up to you to determine it’s meaning. There is no one definition because it’s not a real term, it’s a fan made thing to describe a situation.

For instance I define tunneling as “focusing one survivor to the point of ignoring the others”. You know, like having tunnel vision on that guy.

The issue with simply describing it as hooking the same person in a row is that it can lead to technicalities about whether you actually tunnelled or not.

For instance:

• Jake is unhooked and I go for the rescuer, however when I try to hook them Jake sabos the hook and goes down in the process. The rescuer wiggles out so I hook Jake. This would technically be tunnelling, even though I was never intending to hook Jake
    • Alternatively, I purposefully go for Jake after he was unhooked but he loops me the entire game and manages to escape the trial. In this case then didn’t I technically NOT tunnel Jake since I never managed to hook him again?

All definition have issues, including mine, so this isn’t anything against your opinion. Unless everyone collectively decides on a specific meaning then there will always be cases where one side doesn’t agree with it.

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302
    Options

I'm not even seeing Pain Res much anymore because it doesn't reward tunneling.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,015
    Options

Going to be a bit subjective, but I tend to view it as tunneling in the sense of "stereotypical bot killer identifies the matchmaking gift in the lobby and hard tunnels them off the hook until it's a 3v1". It's usually not me, but it still ruins the game. It just kills any competitive integrity when you have a player only interested in a power fantasy matched against a survivor way below their skill level.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,061
    Options

Yeah I agree with this. They don't understand what tunneling actually is.

• KA149108
    KA149108 Member Posts: 292
    Options

In my opinion tunneling is this;

Survivor 1 gets hooked by killer.

Survivior 2 comes and unhooks survivor 1.

Survivor 2 tries to body block for survivior one as killer has come straight back to the hook or never left. (Bare in mind the survivors haven't healed under the hook, they haven't even had chance).

Killer either hits survivor 2 and then continues chasing survivor 1 to down them OR killer completely ignores survivor 2 and still goes for survivor 1.

Also, if killer downs survivor 2 they ignore them and continues chasing after survivor 1. (At this point the killer could easily hook survivor 2 and they've worked towards there objective).

Now also let me state, survivor 1 didn't take a BT hit for survivor 2 and survivor 1 didn't tbag or flashlight click, they simply looped and did gens no toxic behaviour, also this was NOT during endgame.

That's my opinion on what tunneling is.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,849
    Options

I do like a good survey, and the results shown thus far are interesting to see.

My honest experience is that 0-20% of the time is when I can honestly say I have evidence it's clear tunnelling, and even then I'd say it's more below maybe 5% and under?

It's moreover when someone complains of a trial where they had a horrid experience, they'lll post it and others will jump on with their own perceived experiences, then the problem becomes far bigger than it is.

This happens in media and news stories all the time. Outlets just need to suggest something is a "pandemic" or "chaos" - big words to exaggerate maybe a few occurances, and everybody panics. It must be true, if everyone else says it is (people may think) when actually a large, vocal minority are stirring it up.

Being more objectuve in assessing things, alongside sticking true to your own experience, is the way to counter this.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,067
    Options

While bare bones I do think bare bones is the way to go in this case; you can't do a statistically adequate survey and analysis that considers all kinds of variables and what not. I mean, you can - but it isn't feasible.

One thing that others have mentioned I would like to mention as well: with the questions about how often you get tunneled I also expected a question about how often you (think you) observe tunneling in a match. (Sometimes stuff looks like tunneling when it isn't; a survivor giving up by just standing under the hook, someone deliberately getting in your way and bodyblock with bt/otr/ds e.g.) With certain killers or after a string of matches I very much expect that the first surv that gets found is also going to be tunneled… so I play accordingly and then I don't get tunneled - but someone else is.

On the endurance body block off-hook: I think most people know what you mean but to avoid confusion I'd agree with Pulsar; depending on the definition it coudl still be tunneling but not the kind of tunneling most people typically mean when they say "tunneling". Rephrasing it to something like "I think the killer shouldn't go after a survivor if that survivor bodyblocked with the endurance status off-hook" might be more clear.

Anyway, ima look forward to the results. o7

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,222
    Options

But what IS "tunneling" though? So many survivors make that accusation when they aren't being tunneled. Granted, as big a content creator as you are, I understand you probably have a better definition than the average survivor main, but still.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

The funny thing about these graphs so far is they show that "tunneling" or at least, the perception that one has been "tunneled", isn't the common issue that players seem to lament it as.

In fact it's prevalent in less than half the games played across time frame and region. Looks like roughly 70-80% of respondents say it happens less than 40% of the time.

Also you have an inflated low end of ordinal categories, median might be a better center line measure over mean in this case as the over representation of the low end likely over weights the average.

That said the question is of very limited scope and the categories, while expressed as percentages, are qualitative in nature meaning that its a grain of salt all round in terms of the robustness of the data itself. The categories could just as easily been broken down into never, rarely, sometimes, frequently and always and still display the same kind of resolution.

Its a qualitative measure on an ill defined and subjective topic so make of it what you will.

For greater resolution maybe the question should define the condition.

i.e

• How often are you hooked again after being unhooked?
    • How often do you remain in a single chase with the killer, even after being un-hooked?
    • How often do you interact with the killer from game start?
    • How often do you safe unhook/get safe unhooked?
    • How often do you body block with BT?

• Dahtin
    Dahtin Member Posts: 25
    Options

Very late to this, but I decided to crunch my numbers over the past month for this. Who knew one day meticulously recording every Survivor match I've played would come in handy? I also refuse to run anti-tunnel perks so my numbers are probably inflated as a result.

For context, I do not consider body-blocking to divert attention tunneling, nor do I consider it tunneling if the Killer doesn't beeline straight for the unhook. With this in mind… Top 5 for the last 2 months!

Knight: 12/23 games. 43%, wowie. He's not even good at this though???
    Trapper: 3/7 games. 42%, but he's weak and a small sample size. I could have counted Basement Trapper as tunneling, I guess, but that would have been 5 out of 7 then lol.
    Huntress: 22/78 games. 28%, highest game amount total killer-wise.
    Legion: 10/29 games. 27%.
    Skerch (Skull Merchant): 3/13 Non-DC games, 23%.

Interestingly, I thought Chuckster and Nemesis would be guaranteed Top 5. Maybe its just how bad it feels to be tunneled that inflates that number in my mind? Also, shoutout to my Pyramid Head mains, thanks for not tunneling in the four games I had against you even if the power encourages it! <3