Is Deathslinger the worst killer in the game?

Options
sinkra
sinkra Member Posts: 287

It seems like if you miss the shot by 1cm they don't get hit, meanwhile other ranged killers like Huntress can miss by a meter and it still targets the hitbox. The time to reload as well makes him very slow. If any killer needs a buff it's this one and not already strong killers like huntress and twins.

Comments

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,350
    Options

I'd say he's prolly the weakest ranged killer at the moment yeah, but not worst overall. Trapper and Freddy etc. still down there imo. He definitely lacks map presence big time, but despite losing some of his zoning he can still do that effectively.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 463
    Options

He's got a fairly good chase power, he just needs either his old TR back or 115% speed imo. As fun as quickscoping was as killer, it really sucked as survivor because you could be shot basically whenever you were in his LoS.

They also need to remove a ton of the invisible walls so he can do more cool shots! Idk why they started adding them in the first place.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,730
    Options

As fun as quickscoping was as killer, it really sucked as survivor because you could be shot basically whenever you were in his LoS.

that entirely the point of the character. honestly just make slinger 100% m/s or 96% m/s. just bring back quick scoping.

• ArkInk
    Options

That would make him significantly less fun to play as and against imo. Now he's basically just the snail that moves incredibly slowly and kills you instantly. It's not even like that would make him stronger, as map mobility is already his biggest issue and this proposed nerf makes him as fast as a survivor. He's Nurse with no map traversal and even less counterplay when he does get in chase.

This would also be a horrible idea on indoor maps, and I don't think I need to explain why.

• MissiCiv
    MissiCiv Member Posts: 41
    Options

he should be 4.6ms

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,730
    Options

make it an iri add-on. what is that useless thing he has? Hellshire iron? irrelevant undetectable add-on. I would equip that add-on to have 0.15 wind-up for moving at 96% or 100% m/s.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 431
    Options

He isn't worst only because there is few worse killers, doesn't mean he is good

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 497
    Options

hes not the worst but he is the worst ranged killer

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 497
    edited April 11
    Options

increase the distance he can chain someone increase reel speed increase chain durability and rework his addons like hellshire iron and the status effect addons the longer he can chain someone the more chances another survivor can try to break the chain

• ArkInk
    edited April 11
    Options

I mean, sure. If it's a new style of play and people want it, why not? But I wouldn't look forward to the forum posts after that PTB, nor the Fog Whisperers tearing the change apart while Slinger has much more significant issues to be handled.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 435
    edited April 13
    Options

If he has a 32 metre terror radius then he should be 115%.

Post edited by Yippiekiyah on
  • JamJam
    JamJam Member Posts: 12
    edited April 11
    Options

He got nerfed him so much that he just lost a lot of his fun for me. Any killer who's 110% should have a smaller TR or atleast move 115% without one (but thats sorta meh because Slingers leg). But his lack of quick scoping just makes him a zoning killer and thats it, going for long range shots and stuff isn't nearly as good anymore and is just a waste of time, shooting through small holes in walls isnt good either on new maps where the objects are totally solid.

Why play him over any other ranged killer or zoning killer when we've got multiple that do those styles of play and are waaaay better.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 454
    Options

what is it with people saying he sucks, he is a good b tier killer. Freddy Myers and trapper suck. They are d tier killers for a reason

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,911
    Options

The problem is what made Deathslinger fun to play as just isn't there. Plus people complain that every killer is unfun to play against so I don't see this as a real issue with bringing back quickscoping.

• ArkInk
    Options

It's less about being unfun and more about counterplay. What are you genuinely going to do against a Deathslinger with CoD quickscope? It's either keep out of line of sight until he leaves, or get shot. Any player worth their salt isn't going to fall for a juke, especially not with a quickscope. It isn't even close to same way other killers get hit confirms. It's the easiest zoning tool in the game and it's basically free. You could play almost an entire match as DS in old DBD without firing a shot, instead just threatening to and survivors being forced to path around as to not try it.

It isn't like this wasn't known either, it was the reason why this change was made in the first place. Is there not a single way to buff DS that doesn't bring back the thing that made him completely unbearable to face? Wouldn't this still not change the issue he's a 110% with no map mobility and has to slow himself down a lot by reloading?

It seems like most of the other people in the thread are with you in terms of stance, but idk man, that would honestly really kill a lot of the fun I have with Slinger as both killer and Survivor.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,918
    Options

He is probably quite a bit above average and not even close to the worst.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,240
    Options

Definitely not. Not by long shot (no pun intended).

Slinger is a bit rough but definitely a decently strong killer. He is rough around many loops because you can get a quick hit but not always the down and because missing a shot takes a looot of time for you to reload and catch up again. But a killer that can down a survivor that is 15 metres away from him, can't be bad.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,339
    edited April 11
    Options

On Console, maybe.

On PC he’s nowhere near the worst. His main issues are map mobility and the fact that he’s punished hard if he can’t hit his shots. Other than that, he’s pretty solid.

• Xernoton
    Options

I know, but that's max range. I wanted to put in something more realistic.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,744
    Options

slinger top 15

• Archol123
    Options

Depending on your playstyle it can be realistic, if you play for stealth for example. But sure you won't hit most shots from that range.

However people claim he has 15m range only these days a lot, which is kind of annoying to me, which is why I correct it everytime I see it ^^

• Xernoton
    Options

However people claim he has 15m range only these days a lot […]

Really? I didn't know that.

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 152
    Options
    • he is an old school killer, his mistakes are punished harshly. Modern killers face almost no consequences for their mistakes (with exceptions, of course). for me he is not the strongest, but not the weakest either, playing with him requires a lot of skill and "mind". in the "killer throwing something" category I find the trickster to be the weakest

• Archol123
    Options
  • Archol123
    Options

So you are telling me the weakest killer in the game was able to break a 200+ win streak against 3 comp players and Hens? XD Trickster nowhere near the weakest killer in the game... His buffs pushed him up quite a bit.

• Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 95
    Options

he just takes mecanical skill. Far from the worst. Just watch any comp deathsliger and you'll see. He is just not easy as a bunch of other killers in the roster and thats ok

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,693
    Options

He's not nearly the worst. He's not even bad. Being a ranged killer that can benefit from instadown and other m1 dependent perks, forcibly relocate survivors, land very narrow shots, delay unhooks and reload without breaking chase is wild. He's very strong if you take the time to learn him.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

he has advantages that huntress doesnt and vice versa. like deep wound on hit, faster wind up, reload on the spot, and hit power hits are basic attacks.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,001
    Options

One extra disadvantage Slinger has is that Bots have telepathy. Seriously, watch any video of a Slinger player attempting to shoot a bot and it's outrageous, they "know" immediately and twitch away as soon as the sights are near to them, and if you manage to get them into the sights or try to lead your shot the instant the harpoon leaves the gun they juke.

Incredibly frustrating.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,339
    Options

isn’t that going to be “fixed” with the bots’ delayed reactions coming in the PTB?

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,292
    Options

Not even close buddy, slinger is honestly one of the most underated killers in the game because unlike a lot of killer and specially m1 killer he is rewarded for doing good plays. Let me tell you what I mean by that, sadako, trapper, freddy and all those meme killers can outplay you really hard at a loop, but you can still correct that, use checkspots or an exhaustion perk and youll be fine, yes the killer won the mindgame but their power is such a joke you wont bother.

Slinger actually give you agency, if you are good at slinger every loop is playable, he actually has something few killers have and it is he rewards your skill as a killer, he does not depend on survivors messing up.

Just look at comp, he is literally better than huntress against good teams because huntress as a pubstomper relies on teams being mediocre in order to win, but slinger doesnt he relies on you the killer being good enough.

• Unusedkillername
    Unusedkillername Member Posts: 124
    Options

Removing his quick scope did not do what most people think because they never play slinger you can still down survivors with zero counterplay you just need to be able to flick with his ADS sensitivity (im a PC player) quick scoping has never been the reason he feels awful to play against his ADS time both before his big nerf and after is not slow enough to make any difference in 99% of scenarios most shots "dodged" are just slingers not being able to flick. The ball is almost entirely in his court every chase.

This is the important thing you need to consider to illustrate my point how much better (in terms of strenght) would deathslinger be if you could customise your ADS sensitivity separate from your overall sensitivity like how you can in FPS games like Overwatch. Imo he would be VERY close to his old strength he is only held back by clunk. Losing his quick scope only made him SO much worse because slingers are forced to play with the clunk.

It is also not like the current slinger is not miserable to face anyway he's 110 so slingers never even leave hooks to try to pressure the map but if he can get an M1 proxy camping hes going to try and shoot to prevent the unhook then he will camp with a slug under hook and that not even the biggest issue. He can wait out the play around the built-in endurance on unhook better than ANY other killer in the game meaning he is even more incentivised to proxy camp the hook. So they all proxy camp that's why every deathsligher feels like they camp.

He encourages you to camp and tunnel and has little to no counterplay in the chase able to down you on every shot wall loop and forceing pre-drops against good players (good players will predrop a slinger) if he is good enough.

He encourages the worst type of gameplay BUT he is clunky and feels awful to play and that's what's keeping him in line. That should NEVER be the case because there is nothing good about his place in the game right now.

• Wiggles_Diggles
    Wiggles_Diggles Member Posts: 178
    Options

I wouldn't say he is the worst killer in the game. Plus I feel like some of his short commings can be solved with a few number changes. The only two things that are making him not as good is A) how much clutter there is in new maps now and B) the amount of invisible walls. They could make him much better by either increasing his move speed, decrease his reload time or revert his terror radius back to 24m. Not all three but one maybe two of those changes would go a very long way.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options
  • Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,146
    Options

I'd love if his TR went back to 24m so he could be a sneaky cowboy again. I might play on console but I love Deathslinger's power and aesthetic and I try my best with him, and I'd play him a lot more if he got that buff.

I prefer his movespeed remains 110% due to the lore of his bad leg.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,138
    Options

I don't think so. That would probably be Trapper. (Although I think this year Doctor got the lowest kill rate, dethroning the Nurse for the first time.)

I don't recall having trouble as him but I've not played him for a very long time. (As far as rangers go, I fare way worse using birdie.)

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,764
    edited April 13
    Options

I would still say trapper. Sure there's myers but trapper cant take you out of the game within 2 minutes of the match starting.