If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Should they stop giving killers teleports?

Options

(This is a repeat of a post I made on another platform)

This is a list I made just for show. It may not look like a huge number in the image, but in reality its 34%. A whole 34% (in other words, over a third) of the killers in the game have either a teleport or an ability that is incredibly functionally similar to a teleport.

Now note, I have no issue with telport abilities as long as they aren't done horribly wrong (looking at you nurse). Killers get a good boost from being able to freely and quickly traverse the map, so it only makes sense that there are so many teleporters. But am I alone in feeling that it's just getting a little stale? Regardless of strength I want to play killers that feel unique, and teleports definitely arent that.

At this point I see teleports as another Stat. New killer releases, what size terror radius do they have? Do they have a lullaby? What speed do they move? Do they have a teleport? It's more of a stat than the killers hight is. I don't want to call it lazy, because honestly it is the best solution to the problem of map traversal. If I had a tier list of just "run fast" it would be way bigger and we dont really need more of that, but I feel like there HAS to be a more interesting way of going about it.

At the end of the day, whether it's a ball of meat, a locker, a TV or thin air, it doesn't matter what you're teleporting to. It's still a teleport, and it still isn't unique. So do you think they should stop giving killers teleports? If so, what do you think they should do instead. I'd like to hear your thoughts if you think otherwise as well.

TL:DR- as of now over a third of killers teleport somehow, and it's getting kinda stale. I feel like they should find a different solution. Thoughts?

Comments

• Feneroe
    Feneroe Member Posts: 198
    Options

I'm surprised you didn't list all dash killers as teleport adjacent, considering the ones you did list.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 376
    Options

I'd say Sadako is a teleport adjacent killer, rather than a heavily reliant ability.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,323
    Options

Nurse - Yes

Hag - It regures Survivors to trigger your trap and reguires set up, so this isn't a classic way of fast travel, rather a chase power. So this shouldn't count. Hag can't tp on her own and she is slow. So nope on this one.

Freddy - Okay but doesn't work in end game.

Demo - Yes

Pinhead - No, it reguires Survivors to activate the teleport and they can pick the spot. You also can't teleport there on your own. So again, No.

Sadako - Yes (but can be easily disabled, the power is in survivors hands).

Dredge - Yes, but map limited.

Singu - Yes but it reguires set up and Survivor and have a good line of sight of them, so not a classic way of teleport.

Unknown - Yes but its limited and can be disabled.

The other killers doesn't have teleport, map mobility somewhat sure but not a teleport.

So your tierlist is kinda bad and misleading. Most killers don't have direct way to teleport without some control of Survivors around. Very few killers have a direcent way to fast travel across the map.

So case is closed. Maybe we should have more killers with direct map mobility come to think of it, too many of them are either speed case or just reguires survivors action.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 431
    Options

We needs basekit teleport and stop giving teleport powers to each

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,641
    Options

wouldn't billy, Oni, Wesker and Blight be teleport adjacent killers given that Spirit is one? Add +4 to list.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

You're basically calling all forms of map mobility teleports.

• NOCTURN_05
    NOCTURN_05 Member Posts: 89
    Options

I called spirit a teleport because some part of the character (her body) is disappearing in one place and appearing in another.

• NOCTURN_05
    NOCTURN_05 Member Posts: 89
    Options

map mobility which involves disappearing in one place and appearing in another. I give that to twins because this is happening with the players control during long distance switches.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

I think teleports are fine depending on implementation, even if they become stale and added to every killer. This allows the killers to have some form of map pressure and mobility and not get stuck at the bottom of the tier list with Myers and Trapper, and means BHVR doesn't have to shrink every map to a sad square of unsafe loops. It's how they are done that matters. For example, Freddy's teleport is great. Reasonable cooldown, can be faked but incurs a cooldown if done. Allows teleporting to specific generators and is well telegraphed. In fact, many argue it could be buffed to allow him to teleport to completed generators, and I think few would have an issue with preventing him from teleporting to a generator right next to a hooked survivor.

Camping issues aside, I don't have an issue with teleporting capabilities from any of the killers on your tier list except Nurse as her teleport is the one with the fewest restrictions that completely breaks the game.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,410
    Options

There's nothing wrong with teleports as long as they are balanced and interesting to use. There are several killers with teleport abilities but not all of them work the same way and that keeps it from feeling stale imo. Like Dredge is the only killer that specifically uses lockers to do it for example. And several other teleport abilities can only be used under certain circumstances (eg. when a survivor triggers a Hag trap).

I would feel differently about it if all teleport abilities were the same. But they aren't.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 397
    Options

Fun fact: Knight can teleport on a technical level because when he finishes creating a patrol path his actual character model teleports away for a split second. Also the game is technically coded to have his actual character moving with the orb that creates the patrol path for the guards(hence why his terror radius moves with it) and as soon as he's done he teleports back to his character model just like with Spirit when she's using a certain addon.

• Feneroe
    Feneroe Member Posts: 198
    Options

Except that's not what happens? Play her. You leave behind a husk and go invisible and move. The husk vanishes when you reappear.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,896
    edited April 29
    Options

With broad enough use of the word teleport we could get a few more in the top rung of that list and bump that % up even more.

As others have pointed out the mechanics are quite different and many have limitations or requirements.

Also if spirit is a "teleport" then so is wraith he also vanishes then has to walk to a spot and reappear.

It's inevitable that some powers will be similar as there is only so much you can do within the game mechanics.

Lastly Nurse is fine. In fact more killers should be like her with powers that can completely switch up how the game is played.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    Options

Maybe but I'd hate to see a teleporting Clown with his 1v1 chase potential.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,709
    Options

Teleporting is not as bad of a design problem as the constant amount of "anti-loop" powers. Yes, you couldn't come up with any way for survivors to survive other than looping, and now you make killers whose power is taking away the only mechanic survivors even have to prolong their lives, as if looping is the disease and not a symptom.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 359
    Options

Teleporting killers is literally an 80s slasher staple, it's baked into the genre

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Is the nurse one complaining about teleporting in general? She doesn't have much map mobility besides the ability to bypass large los blockers/verticality of certain maps.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,646
    Options

”It’s still a teleport and it still isn’t unique”

They are all pretty unique though. The only ones that are kind of similar are Freddy, Sadako, and Dredge because they are fixed location teleports but even the they all function differently

But there’s nothing similar between Singularity, Nurse, Hag, Demo, Unknown, and Pinhead aside from having some form of mobility.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 431
    edited April 30
    Options

his 1v1 is unhealthy yet it cannot be nerfed due to a match being 1v4 game, teleporting can mitigate that

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,188
    Options

Free and fluid map mobility - mentions Freddy...

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    edited April 30
    Options
  • versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

I think the amount of teleporting killer's we have his fine, but I don't like the amount of killers that have some sort of dash or anti loop in their kit.