If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

BHVR Will Only "Fix" Things For Money

Options
IHSGames
IHSGames Member Posts: 58

I know in thr Forums, bad-mouthing BHVR will get posts taking down but this is a genuine concern, not bad-mouthing so before whoever take this down, hear me out.

BHVR never really cared about fixing things unless it brings them money. I mean, look at the Twins Rework. They did a terrible job at it and reverted everything about it. If it was so bad why didn't they, I dont know, push the update back to fix it? Well, its because in the same patch, they have the "new and improved store." Something that will bring them money. But instead of pushing the store back with the same update, they gotta make sure it gets released because "money."

Another example. Its funny how BVHR is nerfing/removing skill expression to cater to newer players such as stuff like Lightburn but all this does is 1. Ruin the game for veterans. 2. Strip away extra fun from the game and 3. Doesnt help newer players because they never even cared about skill expression at least where they are at this point.

You wanna know what will HELP newer players? Free banners, badges and cosmetics for prestige, updating their tutorial to be more inlined with the game they have now, increasing bloodpoint gain to help players prestige faster (along with iri shards) getting rid of SBMM, etc. All of these will help in the long run but due to how time costly it will be to implement these features, meaning theyll lose money in thr short term, they'll much rather remove advanced features because its "easier" and "Time/cost effecient." Goes to show that BHVR really only do things of quality when it comes to money.

It's sad how BHVR is only catering to things that matter because of money but in the long run, this will hurt their game massively, losing more money than they could ever gain doing this.

TLDR: BHVR only "fix" things in their game if it makes them money.

Comments

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,711
    Options

While this is surely an overreaction, the reverse is kind of true: they don't fix things that bring them money being broken. Just look at how long it took them to rework DS from its initial state. If DS were a free perk, it would've been fixed within a month since release.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

They only have limited bandwidth per update. If they didnt release the store update now, then when? I believe next major update is the Anniversary chapter, which will be a full update and leave little space for anything further. Pushing updates back isn't as easy as you think it is. They don't have the bandwidth to update willy nilly.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 572
    Options

QFT I feel like the forums and Reddit and etc actively kill my enjoyment of the game because of the negativity. Usually the only posts that get taken down are usually ones that are calling out specific mods, devs or ex devs, etc by name, or ones where it’s.. like, maliciously critical, for lack of a better term.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 352
    edited April 29
    Options

If they wanted to make money they'd have released ptb twins as a the strongest in the game and let the sales roll in. or make their licensed killers op with all the meta perks.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,335
    Options

Yeah. I remember how much money they make with Nurse and she is still busted! Oh wait…

• Onako
    Onako Member Posts: 63
    Options

Well to be fair, Reassurance was a pay to win band aid solution for camping killers

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,364
    Options

We do things that make money = we do things that make our customers happy.

The driving force behind all companies is appealing to and expanding their customers base. They attempt to do that my releasing products they think their customers want and are willing to pay. Some companies are better at actually accomplishing that than others.

Saying 'they are only doing this for money' is basically saying 'I'm upset I'm not in the group they are targeting'.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,711
    edited April 29
    Options

Nurse can't be abused by just anyone as the old DS could be.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,023
    Options

Too lazy to read the OP so I’m just responding to the title.

BHVR is a business and as a business, they are entitled to make money off of their product. They have to pay their employees, bills (rent, maintenance, utilities, advertising, servers) and must make money to please shareholders(sucks, but that’s the economy of today’s world). There is nothing wrong with a company trying to make money as long as they don’t use unsavory tactics.

Anyways, there’s plenty of things in this game that they have done or provide for free after you purchase the base game. You don’t pay a monthly subscription and yet still have access to their servers. You can earn lots of free cosmetics (even if it takes a while and a lot are underwhelming, they’re still free), you can unlock plenty of characters even though you only need Claudette, they listen to feed back and rework killers all the time (most recently Twins, Skully Mommy, Sada-no, HillyBilly), they introduced mechanics to make the game less frustrating (base-kit BT, Removal of Hook Grabs, Anti-FACE Camp mechanic, Anti-3-gen mechanic, a nice HUD that greatly helps solo-Q -yes it helps a lot even with all the naysayers) and they still communicate with the community albeit less than they used to(don’t blame them, this community is insufferable).

So, you’re simply wrong.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,684
    Options

Bad mouthing anyone is wrong, players included.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 213
    Options

I don't think they "only" fix things for money, but I think it's definitely the primary driver of their decision-making. It is a for-profit business, after all. Spending resources on things that have zero impact on retaining or bringing in new players is simply a waste. The only things that are going to get urgent attention are major issues that are causing people to temporarily or permanently quit the game.

• joel84
    joel84 Member Posts: 109
    Options

Your post is only 50% correct. I think your headline is terrible..... a stupid statement that doesn't really help anyone.

That the BHVR doesn't care or only does things that make money is a lie and not true. I'm sorry, but I can't share your opinion.

But it goes without saying that BHVR also does things that bring in money. We are talking about a company that has to earn money. That's quite simple and nothing new in the computer games industry.

To be honest, I don't think it will hurt BHVR in the long run. As long as there are people who pay enough or keep paying, they will continue. That's as sure as the Amen in the church.

Just look at the shop.... we are just getting littered with outfits and who knows what else is coming.

Of course, developer bashing doesn't belong in the forum. What developer wants to read something like that? I don't think anyone would want to. Anyway, I find this post here very interesting and I think it's good that it can be discussed

I don't agree with him 100% either, but the author of the thread is not entirely wrong.

And of course it's the developers' job to make sure everything runs smoothly. After all, they want their game to remain successful

The only thing that bothers me personally is that at the moment we're just being inundated with skins and the quality of the game is falling by the wayside. There are thousands of great suggestions from streamers, forums, Reddit and co....., but unfortunately only a very small proportion of them are implemented. The developers go their own way. We simply have to accept that.

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 202
    Options

You really shouldn't say "I didn't read the post" and then tell someone "you're wrong" about said post because that's just irresponsible for the sake of having a good discussion.

Also "provide for free after purchasing the base game." Then it's not for free. "Free" updates for this game aren't free, they're simply providing more value to something a player already paid for. You can thank every DLC release, the whales that buy 20 cosmetic skins a month, and the people that purchase rift levels for the "free" content.

That's also ignoring the fact that most "free" content in games nowadays are supposed to be a gateway into actually purchasing more product. The "free" stuff gets you hooked, then you feel more inclined to buy.

• Huge_Bush
    Options

I clarified that I was responding to the title and not their post afterwards. In regard to the claim they made in their title, they are wrong.

If you bought something and the company later gives you something that wasn’t originally included, then you received the new stuff for free. Doesn’t matter if it works as a carrot on a stick, you still got something that you didn’t pay for.

• Valuetown
    Options

They're not completely wrong in their title. If bhvr isn't going to receive a return on investment, they will not fix something not worth fixing. So in both regards your assessment on the situation is incorrect.

You paid for the original product. If they want to tack on something after the original purchase that's fine, but you still had to pay for the original product to get it, hence why I said they're only increasing end value of the purchase. The devs aren't going to hand over free content to players that haven't even purchased the game yet. And let's not forget the legendary quote "if it's free, then you're the product."

• Huge_Bush
    Options

My assessment is perfectly fine. Get something without paying for it = free. Increasing Value of the product long after the purchase is still giving the consumer something for free.

• Valuetown
    Options

Your assessment is perfectly fine if you ignore everything about how businesses are run, how basic cost vs benefit works, and how your original comment disregarded everything the original poster had said, even including the title.

You paid for the product. Anything added after isn't free, it's included in the original price retroactively. I'm also not going to engage in a back and forth tennis match over this in the replies. You can think about it your way, this is the way some other people think about it.

• Huge_Bush
    Options

Doesn’t matter how others think about it when I’m correct. 👍

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,009
    edited April 30
    Options

It's not a good look when the patch has loads of issues such as strobing/rubberbanding while the new store UI work perfectly fine.

Even if the teams that work on the game and store UI are different, people will conclude that more effort was dedicated to making sure the store UI work rather than the game. It's perfectly normal as they're not privy to the internal workings.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,170
    edited April 30
    Options

I find it quite unbelievable the lack of critical thinking and cynicism in this thread. The prevailing attitude of "the store works, and that makes money, whereas the Twins rework didn't work out and that is gameplay for the players, thus this shows BHVR puts more resources into monetary greed rather than gamer experience". The leaps in logic here are extremely loose and are completely asinine, your whole argument is founded on the fact "the store works".

Several things I would point out: -

• Building what is effectively a glorified web page interface is far easier than managing numerous physics based interactions within a video game engine across multiple gaming platforms. Of course it's more likely to have bugs and issues in gameplay updates/reworks
    • Any notion that the store is somehow more about making money than the Twins update is inherently stupid. Everything that gets updated in this game is in aid of making money… the update of the Twins intends to make them more fun to play, more popular and therefore more likely to sell. That's why the game gets updated or even built in the first place. Any notion to the contrary is the opinion of a fool.
    • Every bit of negative press and bad player experience cuts into DBDs potential sales and profit. The game being buggy and reworks being a failure doesn't aid BHVRs potential profits at all, so to conclude that these are low priority because they aren't about making money is ridiculous.
    • The Twins are the least popular killer in the game, therefore are one of the lowest earners in the game, and yet are still getting dev time. This is also true of Trickster. Putting dev time into these characters is just likely to not provide returns as provide them, is there evidence of a sudden surge of Trickster and Twins sales since their rework/improvements? I don't think so.
    • BHVR upgraded the game engine at no extra profit to themselves, only significantly more work and dev effort to improve the reliability and future development of the core engine of the game. They only gave themselves a greater headache updating the engine, and otherwise only opened themselves to criticism from the short-sighted members of the player base who can't conceive of the long term benefits. Again negative press and bad player expereinces cut into their profits, if anything this is a great risk to their profits rather than a guaranteed gain.
    • BHVR have made a lot of money off DBD, and continue to make a lot of money for their continued dev time. They can pull the plug any time and stop development and say "that's your lot, the servers will stay up, but we're not updating the game anymore". The only reason we have updates at all is because DBD is profitable, and if it ever stops being profitable, kiss the game goodbye.

I'm not some kind of BHVR apologist, but I really get annoyed at poor logic, clickbait titles and bad argumentation.

• niceboy555
    niceboy555 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Yeah I kind of agree, this game has a lot of issues and its pay to not grind in my eyes. I want to see more work put into the health of the game since the way things are right now it takes way to long for balance changes to happen for killers or perks, perks should be way easier to get instead of spending money imo, map design has been questionable for a long time and don't get fixed for ages or not at all and take years to do basic quality changes like the bloodweb change and fov slider.

I disagree with some of the things you said in this post like about the twins PBT since the point of a PBT is to test new stuff for the actual game so I don't mind them reverting changes for the twins. My issue is how long it took for them to fix things for killers in the first place. A lot of killers in this game need changes in my eyes but haven't been touched for years, for example spirit, freddy, michael and many more.

I also disagree with your lightborn point because it didn't add that much depth and was kind of annoying to deal with for certain killers like wraith, a better example would've have been the flashlight change timing but I understand why they did that change since as a new player it was kinda of hard to do flashlight saves and its still satisfying and fun to pull off.

But your main point about BHVR not fixing or doing certain things that bring them money I kind of agree with and people are too quick to defend the company sometimes. 

• vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 106
    Options

Well, I understand that profit in a company is crucial.

They need to make money to remain servers going, to pay salarys to the employees.

The problem is that they put their priorities in a bad order.

Current problems are always addressed with a long period of time - rubberbanding (closed maps especially), map bugs (garden) should be already taken care of or the maps should be killswitched for some time.

Also the balance team is making bad decisions, killers are getting stronger and stronger, every new killer gets ability to get easy damage etc.

• Joonibean
    Joonibean Member Posts: 1
    Options

I definitely agree SBMM needs to be removed. The game has become so much more toxic since its implementation because everyone thinks they have something to prove instead of just casually playing a game.

I would never have even made it as far as I have (nor spent as much money as I have on cosmetics) if I didn't have my siblings drag me kicking and screaming further into the fog. SBMM ruined my fun of the game from the very beginning. And now everyone has siblings like mine who force me to play with them. Tried solo que once and dear God no, never again. And there's so many people who have left because of SBMM.

I know it's easy to think that the Devs don't actually care about the game, because my siblings and I joke about it all the time. Wouldn't have to worry as much about the game being killed sided or survivor sided if it wasn't for SBMM because more people would just be playing for fun and my group wouldn't be getting tunneled out every single match. But on the same coin, they care to some compacity to be trying to give us fixes we ask for from time to time.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

This isn't the "fixing things" that I believe concerns the vast majority of us who have wanted a QOL/health patch for literally years.

The biggest fix that concerns me is the mess the UE5 migration has caused, though to be clear I think moving to UE5 is an excellent move but it clearly came with a LOT of unexpected consequences.

I am not a new player so I don't care about pretty much anything the OP listed but what I think would help new players the most is reducing the grind and matchmaking that ensures they aren't put with very experienced players, as that isn't fun for anyone.

• NotAnotherKnightMain
    NotAnotherKnightMain Member Posts: 7
    Options

SO what you're saying is you'd rather play the easiest game in the world and just be able to slug with Victor without a single m1. Ok, got it.

Also, we needed a shop update. We couldn't even view collections. I've literally discovered outfits I didn't know existed because of the new shop.

• Senaxu
    Senaxu Member Posts: 120
    Options

It is actually quite simple:

You have to look at the game as a whole and not just a part of it.

If you are not satisfied with it, then don't spend any money on it.

If you think it's good and you like it, then support it accordingly.

BUT:
    If you don't like something and it takes away your enjoyment to an extent that is no longer justifiable WHILE you're spending money on it at the same time (skins, DLC's, etc) then you are part of the problem.

If you're of the latter sort, you don't have to wonder why things essentially don't change.