If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

LMAO Distortion. I almost played a game as Perkless Huntress.

Options

Comments

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,173
    Options

That's not exactly a fair comparison.

Exhaustion perks are all very powerful that if they gets activated, you'll usually gain a huge distance away from killer, or even escape the chase just like that.

Whereas aura perks itself doesn't really doing anything like that. It only helps you find someone faster, so you still have to win the chase to actually benefit from it. Also, I thought Survivors like chases, not gen simulator..?

I'm not entirely sure about the gen slowdowns, but I don't think it's a good idea considering all my games went quite fast without any slowdown perks. Sometimes I genuinely feel there's no way for me to win the game without slowdown perks (No tunnel, 12 hooks)

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 199
    Options

Yes part of her strength is turning healing off. Now she doesn't have to worry about for the people and buckle up, now she doesn't have to run chase perks and can run 4 slowdown for free because her chases are only half the time because of the broken status effect. I wouldn't mind if plague got buffs if she was nerfed in other aspects. At the end of the day, I don't consider plague's current design healthy for the game in its current state.

Yes I am, although I was hardly implying, rather explicitly stating that. They balance perks for D tier killers like Freddy and Myers to try and give them a boost, and then wonder why 4 slowdown is the meta on blight/nurse/wesker/spirit/oni/etc, killers that don't need chase perks to succeed, so they're free to run all slowdown.

• vBlossom_
    vBlossom_ Member Posts: 341
    Options

Exhaustion perks are all very powerful that if they gets activated, you'll usually gain a huge distance away from killer, or even escape the chase just like that.

Whereas aura perks itself doesn't really doing anything like that. It only helps you find someone faster, so you still have to win the chase to actually benefit from it.

Yes, and with Exhaustion perks survivors also have to win the chase. And with that "Aura perks only help find someone faster, aren't as much powerful", have you used this perk on High Mobility killer vs soloq?

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 205
    Options

The only change distortion needs is that token should only be able to be regained while being chased by the killer. That way, you don't just earn token just buy existing, you have to earn them. You get 3 by default. After that, whether or not you get any more is up to you

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,056
    Options

While I generally agree with your point I don't think it relates to mobility killers at all.

• OmegaXII
    Options

"It's just that we are in an aura reading meta now more than ever, and I just want to mitigate it a bit."

It's not just mitigate a bit, it's almost complete immunity even when Killer brings 3x Aura perks. So now the Killer can only play with 1 perk, which usually means the match is already a lose.

"And if you're a killer that can't compete without getting constant value from your aura perks…well, that's pretty much the definition of needing crutches and it's time to look at yourself a bit. Builds are all counterplay and no one is entitled to perk value."

This can be applied to literally any perks you bring, including Survivor Meta. Perks are designed to help you, but if getting value from any perks are counted as relying on clutches, then should I go perkless to satisfy you?

I already banned myself from Add-ons and Slowdown Perks, and now the Aura Perk. So tell me, what perks do you allow me to bring that doesn't counted as clutches? Beast of Prey?

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 434
    edited May 1
    Options

I do think distortion should just give 5 tokens and when they're gone, they're gone but maybe if you want a build to find survivors you should mix in Discordance or Tinkerer as those cant be blocked by Distortion.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 358
    Options

I'm not saying that being chased at the start is tunneling, but rather I'm just trying to explain why Survivors don't want to be the 1st one found, despite that being the optimal time to be found because the whole map is your oyster.

Take your average Wesker game, for example. You being hooked firstgives the Pop+Pain Res to obliterate a Generator, then you get inevitably proxy camped because a Survivor will have to go there. Then you may as well put the unhooked Survivor on death hook for pressure. Then you may as well just tunnel them out.

I call out Lethal specifically because there's no chance to really prepare, there's no "search" phase its just immediate target. Lethal paired with strong regression or gen block is sometimes just way too much.

BaBack When face camp was allowed, the camp meta specifically was Lethal+Deadlock+NOED and that build was the easiest 2k a killer could ever ask for. Your only option as a solo is literally don't be found first.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

Yes, but any new player will learn quickly that Killers are quite washed at the moment. They're being told they can't tunnel or camp, etc. While being efficient, it really doesn't assist them in actually learning anything else. So the mere thought of having to actually look for you when you should just jump out… How could you be so inconsiderate of the maniac trying to murder you on a hook?

On a serious note, don't take killers seriously right now on the forums. They complain about hiding, perks, game mechanics, survivors, time of day, temperature in the fog, and finally the lack of benefits which is an issue they should take up with their boss, the Entity.

• HPhoenix
    HPhoenix Member Posts: 553
    Options

Gearhead is pretty good!

However…

I went against it a few times and it really dosen't bother me that much due to the fact I hit Greats 99%. When I go against Gearhead, I pretend that its old Ruin and it works for me haha.

Not saying Gearhead is bad thou! Its a really good counter to Distortion.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    Options
  • appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,006
    edited May 2
    Options

Even if Distortion is fine as what people in this thread has been saying, the existence of the perk isn't really encouraging players to run aura perks apart from maybe Killers that can go undetectable either.

If encouraging perk diversity is the goal, Distortion definitely isn't helping.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 526
    Options

I often run 3 aura perks and it's safe to say after hundreds of games that distortion will block & refresh charges at a faster rate than I can burn through. Its very common to go the whole match and not see the person running distortion.

I'm not sure if there's another perk in the game that can effectively shut down 3 perks for a single slot for the entire match.

• Blueberry
    Options

A perk turning off another perk has nothing to do with skill.

Knowing how to loop well, is a skill.

You're turning this into an us vs them when these two are completely not comparable.

• Blueberry
    Options

Because being skilled can prevent those gen perks from activating. Being skilled on killer doesn't prevent Distortion from blocking the aura perks.

You can be skilled on killer and not need those aura perks, but being skilled enough to need them is not the same as being skilled enough to counter the perk itself. Those are two very different things.

Like I generally never run aura perks because as we're talking about, you can become skilled enough to where they seem redundant as you have good situational awareness to generally know where survivors are. But the point is turning perks off, not being skilled enough to not need them.

• Blueberry
    Options

If we’re gonna play semantics to that degree then we can stretch that every single thing in the game is just a skill issue and it devalues the point of any of these conversations.

• Blueberry
    Options

It is a 1v4, not a 1v1v1v1v1. Having bad teammates is part of the balance. “Your skill” is not the correct statement, it’s “your teams” skill. Your team does have areas to improve there even if you individually don’t. If you want a game that is only about your skill and not your teams skill you should be playing killer or another game. Solely your skill isn’t what survivor in dbd is.

• vBlossom_
    vBlossom_ Member Posts: 341
    Options

Ah yes, so I'm punished for RNG because I don't know who will be in my team and how would they play.

So we can also say that some matches are lost even before they started - and you think that is completely fine?

• Blueberry
    edited May 2
    Options

We’re just not going to agree then. They are in fact blatantly canceled out by skill. I find it weird to even need to say that. If the survivors are really good you get much less value from gen regression perks and if they’re not you get high value. This is why at the highest level you see mostly passive value perks that you get even if the survivors are good such as NWO, NOED, Deadlock ect. Agree to disagree I guess.

• Blueberry
    Options

Yes you are punished for RNG and yes some matches are lost before they start. These apply for killer as well.

I never said this was fine at all, it’s not. I’d like this fixed. I’m just saying what the reality is, I don’t like it either.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,159
    edited May 2
    Options

Yikes, this thread got heated fast...

I suppose my take is the killers game is all about efficiency. Trying to sniff out a Distortion user is a time sink that the killer cant afford... so:

• Distortion tends to screw over teammates more than the killer. If the killer can't find one or more survivors they are more likely (and usually have to) resort to chasing and killing the only survivor they can find.
    • In the same vein, if Distortion sneakery has wasted enough time, the killer must switch gameplan tunnel and ignore the Distortion user to gain a foothold on the game, so even a non rat Distortion users tend to limit their ability to take chase, even if they want it/really should take it.
    • Distortion users tend to hide and come off gens very quickly, and spend a lot of time walking around. This has usually resulted in gens taking way too long to progress, survivors frequently reaching second stage on hook, and actually wastes little of the killers time as they instead go back to interrupt hook heals instead to remain efficient.

With all this in mind, I hate Distortion users as a survivor, they cost you games, and you can see them a mile off by the way they play. By proxy I am less forgiving on them as killer. They're like drivers on the motorway who stick constantly in the middle overtaking lane; they force everyone else to have to work around them and pick up their slack.

Is the perk OP? It's strong... and I'd argue its a little BS that it charges both in and out of chase in the killers TR. The Stake Out model makes more sense (or flip it so that its earned back at a very fast rate by taking chase). However in my experience Distortion doesn't tend to work out too well for thr rest of the Survivors, which then creates a potential snowball the killer would struggle to ignore.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

I assume you're referring to Nightlight stats? Perhaps what you mentioned about the rise in distortion usage is to counteract LP and BBQ. I stand corrected. On a more personal level, I rarely run LP except on Nurse and maybe Nowhere to Hide.

I prefer playing M1 Killers more so LP doesn't really benefit them much and by extension, aura perks too since chase and slowdown perks are more reliable on these Killers. The presence of Distortion also doesn't help when it comes to considering aura perks.

Until Distortion gets a change to how tokens are gained, I don't really see much value in running pure aura perks on my M1 Killers as they can't make use of the information as well as say Nurse/Blight or an orbital Huntress.

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 526
    Options

You don't get tunneled every single game so let's stop pretending you do. Even if you did tunneling isn't a perk, it's a strategy that inexperienced or weak killers use because they don't know how to apply pressure correctly or are weak at chasing.

I could pretend also that I get gen rushed every single game and it makes my 4 gen regression/blocking perks meaningless.

I personally don't care if people are running distortion it generally means I'll focus on people I can actually see first before going out my way to find the person using distortion, which is probably bad for the rest of the team. Doesn't change the fact that distortion is one perk that has the ability to completely nullify 3 information perks for the entire game.

• OmegaXII
    Options

Yea every Killer should just run perkless or otherwise it's called bad killer that relies on clutches, and should 'git gud'.

Why don't survivors loop better instead of relying on Distortion to hide? It's same for both sides.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,642
    Options

Nah this is still a million times less frustrating than old DH. I don't think anyone actually believes this is worse.

Distortion itself isn't even the issue, it just makes the issue more obvious which is that killers don't have a lot of reasons to not run full slowdown. Aura perks are hard countered by Distortion, other forms of tracking are useless, chase perks are pretty mediocre and killer dependant and the only really good one (STBFL) was nerfed pretty hard. With all of that, why not run full slowdown when it is consistent and powerful while everything else is just meh. Distortion is a fair perk, it doesn't need any nerfs, but it does make the slowdown meta look more appealing and I think the gap between slowdown and everything else should be addressed.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

I dont find any problem with Distortion on killer side. I dont need aura perk to find survivors, and using aura perk shows aura of 1-2 survivors who dont use Distortion lead to tunneling which is strong against survivors, even if you dont want to tunnel. Even if all 4 survivor use Distortion, its one perk against their 4.

On survivor side, it punishes survivors who dont use Distortion real hard. The image OP posted showed it, they had the lowest score. Distortion doesnt need a nerf on its strength, but rather how it works. It can simply gain token in chase, or only hide aura if you have the most hook count.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,038
    Options

Hold up, why's NWO in that list? Surely if survivors are skilled enough to cancel PGTW and Pain Res, they're skilled enough to cancel NWO?

• OmegaXII
    Options

"Even if all 4 survivor use Distortion, its one perk against their 4."

No it's not like that.. That's only true if Killer only runs 1 Aura perks, which is fine and fair.

But in my case I ran 3x Aura perks, with Gearhead that's designed to chew through stacks, but Distortion still protects them well. Now it's 3 perk against their 4, which is a massive lose.

By the way, I agree the one Survivor who didn't bring Distortion have to suffer from tunnelling, which I really don't like (I'm 12 hook guy). If only I can find someone else.. :(

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,038
    Options
  • Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,798
    Options

Again, it blocks aura reading so long as it has stacks. It is absolutely not "total immunity". I played a Huntress last night who ate all my stacks immediately and I couldn't get them back because she had a perk setup where she was almost constantly triggering it regardless of where we were in relation to each other, and capitalized when they were gone. And that's wasn't a terribly uncommon experience.

A lot of killers run aura reading setups that ate redundant, or give too much time to recover stacks. If you can trigger the surv's Distortion repeatedly from distance and then again when you get close and they are out of stacks and then capitalize, it really makes distortion pretty low value. But you can't just load up on aura perks and then expect them to give you constant value. They're not supposed to be that powerful.

Against good killers, I am not getting constant value from them perk, and sometimes next to none. If you chew up a surv's Distortion stacks and they can keep close enough to keep replenishing them without you noticing they are there, that's pretty much a red flag that you probably rely on your aura perks too much and not enough on actually looking and listening.

And I play a lot of killer, and sometimes I don't get any value from my aura perks, but it doesn't ruin the match for me.

And there are many meta perks in the game that aren't crutches. But if your go-to build being countered means you can't compete, then that means those perks are have become crutches for you. It's like when old DH (which was the mother of all crutches) was nerfed and a lot of players instantly became very mid, while better players simply adapted.

DBD is set up where any build can largely be hard countered by another. And it's all down to chance, so everyone should be prepared to play with little or no perk value.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,600
    edited May 2
    Options

Listen I will take being in a chase and actively doing things than slowly walking around the map for 3 minutes as gens slowly progress and I find absolutely nobody. At least during the chase centric meta I was actively doing things, the stealth meta we're currently hurtling towards will literally be doing nothing, get into a chase that lasts about 35 seconds, go back to doing nothing. It's so boring lol