If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

LMAO Distortion. I almost played a game as Perkless Huntress.

Options

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,857
    edited May 2
    Options

I do generally think that complaints about Distortion are overblown, but there is something to be said about lone wolf survivors who hide all game at the expense of their teammates.

While it should still be a 'viable tactic', like all of these things it shouldn't be too strong with no risk, and Distortion can make it too reliable.

So I'd be down for changing the recharge condition to 'in chase' rather than just 'in the killers terror radius', so that as a survivor you're compensated for killer engagement one moment, with stealth afterwards, providing some risk-reward management and basically functioning as a loose anti-tunnel perk rather than just an 'anti-gameplay' perk. If that results in a too significantly lower recharge rate then up it to 4 tokens.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,173
    Options

"But if your go-to build being countered means you can't compete, then that means those perks are have become crutches for you."

Are you forgetting that MMR exists? If my whole build gets countered with just a single perk, how can I compete with Survivors that has equal skill as me when I'm in such a huge disadvantage? Sure you might say 'git gud', but unless I'm far better than Survivors (Which shouldn't be when MMR exists), the match is probably already a lose for me.

It's like playing Doctor against 4x Calm Spirit. Against Survivors with equal skill there really isn't much thing you can do as half of your power gets denied. It's definitely still playable, but it'll be an incredibly hard match.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

upon getting hooked may be. If you mean gaining tokens when unhooking others. It doesn’t change that other get found because they dont have Distortion, get hooked. And the one using Distortion unhook them then gain tokens again.

The same thing happen with Friend til the end. The Aura-Expose has to give to the least hooked survivor.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,038
    Options

I meant upon getting unhooked, don't want those tokens firing while you're on hook.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,642
    Options

I disagree heavily. There is way more counter play to a stealthy playstyle than there was to the old chase meta. Yeah it's not exactly fun spending so long looking for someone, but it was way less fun finding someone and knowing that it didn't matter because you couldn't catch them anyway.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,642
    edited May 2
    Options

I agree that Distortion isn't that much of an issue. It's the fact that there is nothing really worth while running besides slow down and aura, and aura has a counter play so there's less reason to run it and more reason to go full slowdown.

They don't need to change Distortion at all really, just give killers more reasons to not run full slow down.

But yeah having it gain tokens through chase would be good for reducing the tunnel part of it.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,059
    edited May 2
    Options

You’re taking my statement too literally. By that statement the point was that you can severely reduce both those perks activation occurrences if your skilled, not literal zero. The statement was said in comparison to distortion which is literal zero reductions in its activations regardless of how skilled you are. I didn’t think I needed to be that literal for the point to be delivered without getting into semantics.

• Blueberry
    Options

Because regardless of hooks NWO still has a base activation amount. It’s not entirely reliant on doing well to get decent value.

• Blueberry
    edited May 2
    Options

It’s not a double standard, you’re jumping to conclusions. I hold the same standard for both sides. The negatives attached to perks can be multiple things, not just skill related. For example, the perks you listed. They have downsides or negatives attached to them. Wasting time opening lockers or kicking gen, requiring them to be in your TR which limits the use cases, requiring stacking aura perks and giving up gen regression slots to get full value ect. Now there are some perks that have no costs/negatives/skill requirement ect that break these fundamental rules but those perks are usually a weaker effect to compensate for said free value.

So even though I think most the perks you just listed are bad examples as they do generally have costs attached there are others you didn’t mention that do fail to follow this rule but are tuned in power accordingly. So the real issue is high power and no cost/negative/skill requirement, when they come together. The two sides aren’t balanced accordingly.

There some perks like Distortion even for killer mind you, that are badly balanced this way as well and I would change those too. Two right off the top of my head being Deadlock and NOED.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 441
    Options

agreed it’s just normal gameplay and it’s not all that skillful

• Blueberry
    Options
  • Firellius
    Options

No, but you do say you need to be playing well to get value from things like PGTW. And 'getting a hook' is not a high enough bar to pass to warrant it being called 'doing well'.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,263
    Options

Distortion's effect is fine, it just needs to actually take longer to regain stacks. I run the perk a lot on survivor and have almost never actually run out of stacks, even when the killer has multiple forms of aura-reading. It really defeats the point in even having stacks when it might as well just be a perma-effect with how it currently works.

• Blueberry
    Options
  • Blueberry
    Options
  • caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 352
    Options

UW has a 60s cooldown and is countered by OTR/distortion, and NWH is affected by the gen kick limit and is deleted by survivors prerunning.

• Souplet
    Souplet Member Posts: 239
    Options

Id rather have 4 people with distorsion every game than a single old dead hard

• Ebonbane2000
    Ebonbane2000 Member Posts: 150
    Options

Lightborn counters Flash Bang, all flashlight perks and flashlights themselves.

MindBreaker counters all aura perks AND exhaustion perks.

• caligraph
    Options

by this sort of logic being tunneled is a skill issue because you didnt loop the killer hard enough.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 819
    Options

And i do generally believe that the complaints of distortion players are overblown. Just because a survivor is able to stealth while contributing to gens and even saving others without getting detected by killer does not mean they are doing nothing "all match."

• Firellius
    Options

That is what you're saying when you say that NWO has a baseline value and doesn't require you to do well, in contrast to pop and pain res.

Do you... know what tunnelling is?

• Blueberry
    Options
  • goodfriday
    goodfriday Member Posts: 209
    Options

worst is when they dc after being found first or down fast and am like then why not bring distortion in the first place. Ugh solo q hence why i just only swf 95% of times.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 359
    Options

Jeez, people sure get worked up over Distortion users. Everybody is quick to fall back and swear by their anecdotal negative confirmation bias of "Distortion gaming" but conveniently never mention the heroes that use their Distortion to Bob and weave past these info perks to go for a ballsy rescue because the killer, most likely a Huntress or Wraith, is proxy camping the unhook because wverybodys injured and mangled and is securing the 2nd stage with Ultimate Weapon or whatever.

Too many times people try to position themselves to make a play but they catch a stray Nowhere to Hide. The fact that people handwave this perk off as only a perk for immersed and selfish people is rather disappointing.

Fact is, there is no other perk like Distortion for risk taking, ballsy objective go getters. The initiative takers. We used to have 100% Iron Will, but that's gone now so now we only have Distortion. And auras have only gotten more ubiquitous since Iron Wills nerf

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,541
    Options

Too much aura reading perks in this game.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 545
    edited May 3
    Options

Don’t listen to any of these survivors they are all very biased, distortion is WAAAAY overturned. ONE PERK should NOT COUNTER FOUR. I played against a 4 man distortion squad while I had 4 aura perks and after 9 hooks got ZERO AURA READS! Because distortion tells you exactly what perks the killer has and they hid in lockers whenever I hooked etc.

There are only TWO perks in the game where the aura read can consume two stacks and that’s Hex Retribution (15 seconds) of aura read after a hex is cleansed and bitter mumur, after the last gen is completed all survivors auras are revealed for 10 seconds (12 with lethal)

Distortion could have its aura read negation set to 6 seconds instead of 10 and it would still counter almost every single perk except when combined with lethal. Survivors will also say “if you don’t bring any aura reads, then I just have a wasted perk slot.” But if I bring full aura and you have distortion I have NONE.

And then they complain about 4 slowdown? Like HELLO!?! SLOWDOWN PERKS DON’T GET CANCELED BY ONE PERK! You don’t want me to use slowdown, you don’t want me to use aura so what should I use?!? Unrelenting? Is that okay?! Or should I just use zero perks? Should I even try to kill survivors? The truth is if there were no Gen slowdown perks or aura reading perks at all they would complain perks like bamboozle.

It doesn’t matter at the end of the day. I still won my match because I tunneled at 5 gens. Me running zero slowdown because survivors hate it was a mercy and then you bring one perk that negates all 4 of mine. Mercy is dead.

Post edited by HexHuntressThighs on
  • appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,006
    edited May 3
    Options

If you wanted to find a similar perk for comparison, Mindbreaker ain't it.

Survivors have to be doing a gen or was doing a gen a few seconds ago to be debuffed from the perk. If a Survivor was going for a hook save, healing a Survivor or even just standing still afk, Mindbreaker doesn't do anything.

Distortion on the other hand blocks the entire instance of aura reading, be it 2 or 8 seconds. Regardless of the Survivor being on a gen, healing or being afk, they get value as long as they have tokens and the recharge condition being stand near the Killer as long as they have a terror radius.

If Mindbreaker was that big of a counter perk, why aren't people using or complaining about it? It's because the effects of Mindbreaker last for a short time and only matters if the Killer found you within 5 seconds of doing a gen. The only hard countered perk regardless of situation is Fogwise

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 636
    Options

Your question is "Is distortion too strong in a game based on HIDE & SEEK???". Umm, No. The fact that everyone needs it because full aura is ridiculous but people still strap em all on is the problem. You should not be able to just see your opponent the entire match in a game of hide and seek. Try getting some skills. learn the different roles and play the game. These crutch perks are why killers have no integrity, stamina or skill anymore.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

I dont find getting aura being seen all the time is huge problems, it make mindless in finding survivor yes, just like survivors using WoO.

Thing is high speed killer can reach to a survivor and start the chase, and the aura is still working. That aura is no more "finding a survivor" tool, it becomes "wall hack"

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,400
    Options

Yep, this is the answer. Everyone defending this terribly designed perk just won't admit it.

Is it op? Not quite.
    Is it extremely unfair? Yes.

Killer perk that turns off all items, all exhaustion, all healing. Anything. People would throw the largest fit ever.

But killer aura reading, something that's not really that strong it's ok for.

• DH3206
    DH3206 Member Posts: 250
    edited May 3
    Options

Having distortion recharge during chase is a terrible idea. That's basicly saying the killer is entitled to a free down/hook on you in a game of hide and seek, because you will eventually go down during a chase most of the time.

If anything, make distortion regain tokens by progressing the game. Like gens, healing, cleansing/blessing totems and maybe chase as well. But not only chase as a requirement to regain stacks.

But personally, I don't think distortion needs a nerf, at all.

EDIT: And I personally think that playing stealthy is also a legit strategy inside this game. Just like it is a legit strategy to camp or tunnel. We can make all gameplay styles just like one way to play the game, but then the game will go dull and people will leave the game.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,611
    edited May 3
    Options

You can let go of the generator as killer approaches to SB/keep 1-2s on the timer to SB mid chase, WoO still shows you what is used before going on the gen/aura reading comes back 5s into chase, Head-On is largely unaffected as it requires 3s of being immobile in a locker and 2s of walking/pallet break/etc is not hard to accomplish, etc.

If you think Fearmonger 'hard counters' all those perks, you may want to re-evaluate your gameplay while it is in play.

Post edited by Raccoon on
  • vBlossom_
    vBlossom_ Member Posts: 341
    Options

If you are exhausted for 40 seconds after using exhaustion perk, this effect stays at 40 seconds, so you won't be able to always, as you said

SB/keep 1-2s on the timer to SB mid chase,

• Raccoon
    Options

If you run back to a gen at 40s exhaustion, the killer has lost or abandoned the chase and you've already gotten value from your 'hard countered' perk.

• caligraph
    Options

The majority of the perks listed as hard countered work completely fine if you get off the gen for 6 seconds. WoO is a chase perk so unless the survivor is lasting less than six seconds then mindbreaker has 0 effect, etc etc

• HexHuntressThighs
    Options

The lockers did do the heavy lifting so they can EASILY nerf it down to 6 seconds and it would change nothing except for giving 1 second aura reads here and there.

And your second point is irrelevant because no perks are good enough to stop a killer from winning if they tunnel someone out immediately. If distortion hits your aura for the whole game it still wouldn’t save them but is clearly overtuned. Just like MFT.

killer perks are supposed to be stronger. It’s 4 perks vs 16.

• Firellius
    Options

You haven't shown how it's overtuned, though. You've only shown that it's trivial to overcome, which is kinda the opposite.

• HexHuntressThighs
    Options

It’s overtuned because it can block 4 killer perks at once. Almost No other killer perks can be blocked at all. Distortion should definitely exist but it does not need 10 seconds of aura read negation. 10 seconds is overturned because 6 seconds still blocks every aura read except a few. Either that or leave it at 10 seconds and make survivors unable to see how many tokens they have so they can’t figure out the killers build and hide in lockers. You can just have it lit up when you have stacks and dark when it’s empty.

Distortion currently can: Block 4 Killer perks at once, tell you exactly what perks the killer has, tell you what add ons the killer has, hides scratch marks and pools of blood for 10 seconds AND allows you to gain tokens IN CHASE (even pebble doesn’t recharge in chase and pebble is objectively weaker)

THAT is overtuned. I’m tired of people complaining about 4 slowdowns and when I use a full aura read build to spare them from 4 slowdowns I get punished heavily if even 2 survivors have distortion. There is no incentive to NOT use 4 slowdowns because they can’t be blocked, it’s guaranteed value and you don’t have to worry about a perk countering them.

• Raccoon
    Options
  • HexHuntressThighs
    Options

No survivor runs 4 exhaustion perks at once so you can go ahead and remove all exhaustion perks except one.

As for all the other perks blindness wears off in 5 seconds so you’ll get all of your aura reading back before the killer even gets to you. So it doesn’t counter any of them except

So no Fearmonger doesn’t counter 4 survivor perks at once. Distortion completely negates 4 aura reading perks to where you get zero value. Meanwhile Fearmonger negates 5 seconds of aura reading 99% of which perks last either A much longer than 5 seconds or B the blindness will have worn off by the time you use it.

• Funchal
    Funchal Member Posts: 43
    Options

I believe the problem is in the way how you in gain the extra charges, changing this to recharge only during a chase could solve most of the unpleasant points.

Players would not be encouraged to engage in selfish gameplay, would not benefit bad players by doing nothing, and it would seem fairer in the eyes of the killer.

• Firellius
    Options

It’s overtuned because it can block 4 killer perks at once.

It takes four to block those perks, not one and it can only do so because all those perks share the same function. Forced Penance can block 16 perks, is that overtuned too?

I’m tired of people complaining about 4 slowdowns and when I use a full aura read build to spare them from 4 slowdowns I get punished heavily if even 2 survivors have distortion.

A) You have options beyond ALL slowdown and ALL aura reading.

B) You hardly get punished it seems, considering you wiped the floor with them.

What you're overall suggesting is to give a nerf to a perk that is, categorically, not OP, because your wonk build got countered. If that's the case, I want to be able to heal through broken if I have four healing perks.

• HexHuntressThighs
    Options

No survivors bring 4 healing perks because an exhaustion perk is must run, so FP will not counter an entire survivors build. You can use your 4 healing perks on other survivors as well so again it’s not a counter.

Forced Penance applies to ONE of FOUR survivors at a time and goes on cooldown for 80 seconds which of why it’s garbage. Meanwhile Distortion is applied to the only killer and applies to all 4 perks. Also yes it takes 4 tokens (not really cuz lockers) but it’s ONE perk that counters 4 at ONCE. Not just 4 in general because every perk counters multiple. I’m talking FOUR of the exact same at ONCE.

Not only that but 4 KILLER perks. Killer perks should not be so easily countered because they are the killer after all. One killer perk countering 4 survivor perks would be far more reasonable than the other way around.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

By the way, I agree the one Survivor who didn't bring Distortion have to suffer from tunnelling, which I really don't like (I'm 12 hook guy). If only I can find someone else.. :(

lol. So you are going to tunnel regardless, and feel bad its the non-distortion user? The team is probably running Distortion because, well… you we're gonna tunnel anyway. This will be a constant cycle. Tunneling is the #1 strat, Distortion and DS are the only real counters. Not everyone is great at looping so this is just how it will be. Game on, Fog denizens!