Background Player buffed?

Options
PreorderBonus
PreorderBonus Member Posts: 144

Honestly, I can't comprehend how someone who has played this game for more than a few hours reads this and goes, "Yes, the perk has been nerfed." A 150% speed boost is STILL an unbelievable amount of safe distance a survivor can have and still get the save, but now the cooldown is 20 seconds? You will be able to spam the perk, even more so if you have Vigil.

This is the most out-of-touch nerf I've seen yet. Not to mention, in the same update, every single valuable gen regression perk was nerfed (Pop, Pain Res, Deadlock, Grim Embrace).

Comments

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,462
    Options

200 percent literally looked like you're hacking so 150 is fine imo.

I'm not sure about the cooldown duration yet.

I don't think calling this a "buff" would be correct though.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,223
    Options

20 seconds feels way too short of a cooldown

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,416
    Options

No, it was nerfed. With 150% Speed you will still be fast, but you are not able to be as consistent as before (not that I think that Background Player-Saves were consistent). I dont think that the reduction of Exhaustion really matters too much.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 479
    Options

I first read the contents of this PTB in the Japanese document, so I think there may be some differences from the English version, but the added text is too far removed from the actual way the park is used. I felt that.

Most players do not use this perk to escape from killers. On the other hand, the main way to use it is to run up to the killer and shower him with grenades and flashlights, or give him a pallet stun.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,647
    Options

The popularity of BGP and BU+FTP shows that plenty of players don't want to just be tied to gens. The devs are reducing the effectiveness of these perks and combos while still making them appealing. These perk updates started in 6.0 because people were complaining about the lack of variety in perks they were facing, so the devs are just doing what the playerbase asked for. Most people dont realize though that their side will be hit too, not just the other side.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,072
    Options

If they made it 150% and 60/50/40 on the exhaustion, that would make it just a strictly worse version of sprint burst, and people would just use SB to greater effect. The 200% was far too strong, clearly, so they needed to give it something to conpensate, in order to ensure perk diversity.

For that same reasoning I wish they'd given more buffs to other perks (particularly killer chase perks) to promote perk diversity, but there's only so much a dev team can do at once so I understand why that's not what happened

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,053
    Options

I don't know, how often are you actually in a position to get back to back saves within 20 seconds? Necessarily the cooldown is probably gonna be longer than that between uses because it also requires the killer to pick up a survivor.

I think this is probably fine, but obviously we'll need to test it.

• rororoxor
    rororoxor Member Posts: 179
    Options

Yep its a buff, 150% is not much of a reduction at all. Suppose killer has a down at a pallet, without BGP a survivor has to be within 12m for a save. Manageable right? +150% allows a rescuer to be within 30m of the pallet, so unless youre playing nurse/blight/spirit its still an uncounterable save.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 454
    Options

I think it’s too strong with vigil. Even without it, the perk is unhealthy in my opinion

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 473
    Options

The cooldown isnt significant to the perk at all. If 20s or 40s doesnt matter. Also you cant spam something that you cant activate at will.

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,428
    edited May 9
    Options

this change was a nerf, I’m assuming it’s a precaution to Sabo being buffed but I don’t think this was the right decision, this just makes another situational exhaustion perk less impactful imo. Kinda forces players to stick to Sprint Burst & Lithe 🫤

• robrob909
    robrob909 Member Posts: 79
    Options

Def a buff 20 seconds is very stupid

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

eh, its still limited by how fast the killer gets downs.

• Astral88
    Astral88 Member Posts: 63
    edited May 9
    Options

And yet again, another nerf for the survivors and a huge buff for the killers. Like literally, what’s going on the developers mind by applying such questionable changes.

The point of BP was to move from a far distance close to a survivor and get into huge trouble but giving a second chance to the downed survivor requiring one of the survivors to stop their current task. The perk procs whenever a survivor is picked up. Now you’ve turned BP into a more restricted version of Sprint Burst, so basically you nerfed a helpful but not too overpowered perk into an useless perk. Now it’s impossible to reach the location in time.

Regardless of the decreased cooldown, it just makes no sense you literally expect survivors to be downed within 20sec. Idk what to comment. I’m simply shocked and disappointed.

Just why…

Yikes. -.-

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 126
    Options

It's nerfed overall. Especially for flash saves.

• PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 144
    Options

Before: Getting a survivor downed at a pallet, BP user can stand in a circle around 60m of it and get the save.

After: Getting a survivor downed at a pallet, BP user can stand in a circle around 40m of it and get the save.

Ah, yes, quite significant. Now I will only have to check half of the map to find the BP user instead of three-quarters of it!

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,697
    Options

This is an insane buff, and that's all I'll say as someone who didn't think BGP was an issue before and doesn't care to debate this until players have time to draw their on conclusions in-game.

• SignedUp4PTBFeedback
    SignedUp4PTBFeedback Member Posts: 58
    Options

I wanted to comment on the last sentence, since it's a common misconception with circles and their radius. Reducing the radius from 60 meters to 40 meters actually has a very significant effect on the area the survivor can be in.
    A circle with a radius of 60 meters has an area of around 11310m2.
    A radius of 40 meters? Around 5027m2.
    It's an area reduction of about 65.5%
    So it would be more accurate to say you don't have to search three-quarters of the map, but only a slightly bit more than one quarter now.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,072
    edited May 18
    Options

Where are you getting those numbers from? By my calculations:

3 second pick up animation, 1 second blind timing

4 m/sec run speed base

12 m run distance for pallet save, 8 m for flashlight timing

12 * 150% = 18 m, 12 * 200% = 24 m distance for pallet saves when considering 150% or 200% BGP

Flashlight range: 10 m

8 * 150% + 10 = 22 m, 8 * 200% + 10 = 26 m distance for flashlights (+ needs an angle), again while considering both versions of BGP

It's wild because until seeing this I was more on the side that the perk needed changing, but by debunking your wild exaggeration I'm actually no longer all that sure.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

I still don't like the perk but it does reduce how far you can be and still get the save. The biggest issue with the perk was even if the killer chased you away, you'd still get the save when they picked up, now that's not always the case.

I still think it just encourages slugging, which we shouldn't be doing.