Balance of the Game

Options
BH5889
BH5889 Member Posts: 17

I really don't understand the balancing decisions for this game, in fact, I never did and continue to still not understand. It's like the developers are sadistic towards people who play killer. The game shouldn't be balanced around casual players who can always improve as they play, because now the higher level players are the ones getting screwed over.

Survivor mains will praise and preach any nerf on killers and their perks because at the end of the day they're biased and just want someone to bully it seems. This is also coming from someone who plays both survivor and killer at higher MMR, since I know I'll be branded someone who only plays killer. In fact, I find myself avoiding playing killer more and more as time goes on.

• [CHANGE] Decreased regression effect to 10/15/20% (was 15/20/25%).
    Dev note: Pain Resonance finds itself in almost 40% of all loadouts, and it is one of the most effective Perks in the game. We want to make this Perk less of a clear choice for all builds, but keep it rewarding for Killers who choose to chase multiple Survivors.

• [CHANGE] Decreased regression effect to 20% (was 30%).
    Dev note: Pop Goes the Weasel has proven to be very strong, and the conditions to activate it aren’t very difficult. To better reflect how often it comes into play, we have reduced the strength of its regression effect.

You would think you'd ask yourself why these perks were included in so many loadouts. Killers at the higher MMR NEED gen defense and they will continue to use gen defense perks. They'll just cycle between all those types of perks based off what gets nerfed. If you want killers to stop using gen defense perks, then actually balance the gen speeds so they can run other perks.

• [CHANGE] Decreased movement speed bonus to 150% (was 200%).
  • [CHANGE] Decreased Exhausted duration to 30/25/20 seconds (was 60/50/40 seconds).
    Dev note: Background Player’s high movement speed allowed Survivors to cross extreme distances to make a save. There was no way for the Killer to reasonably check that area, let alone defend against it. We have reduced the movement speed and instead reduced the Exhausted duration to compensate. This will make it harder to get a save but allow you to make attempts more often.

• [CHANGE] Reduced stun duration to 4 seconds (was 5 seconds).
    Dev note: Our last update increased the stun duration to 5 seconds. This was a little too effective, so we have fine tuned the stun duration to 4 seconds instead.

Then you get changes for survivor like this, an already meta perk that got a buff when it didn't need it, then now getting nerfed to shave 1 second off. Or the change to Background Player, why couldn't you just nerf the speed and let that be it? Why did you need to buff it to compensate for the nerf? I don't see any buffs going along with the nerfs to compensate for Pop and Pain.

Just seems to me that the developers are very biased towards survivor players and it gets annoying knowing when I win as a survivor, or lose as a killer, it's because the game was balanced in such a way in attempt to force that outcome and not because I played well or poorly. Balance the game around the top level of players and let the casual/newer players improve over time, or at least nerf SWF so it's not a complete broken joke. I'm not even going to talk about the Chucky Scamper change because that is just completely out there, or the MANY changes in the past that are questionable because I'll be here all day.

Comments

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,176
    Options

Maps definitely haven't been turned into massive deadzones, unless you are talking about outliers like Torment Creek. The map balancing has actually been very good on average in this game at the moment, with only a few mess ups, like the new Haddonfield.

I do agree that OP's post is wrong though. Killers have been eating pretty good at the moment.

• HauntedKnight
    HauntedKnight Member Posts: 383
    Options

All you have to do is read the description for the updated Pop Goes the Weasel to understand the devs are playing a different game to the rest of us.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,173
    Options

I don’t understand why they’re so obsessed with stats, and make changes depending on it. “If it’s commonly used, it’s OP and deserves a nerf.”

Yes Pop & Pain are used in 40% of the match. But instead of nerfing it, shouldn’t they actually find the reason behind it?

Also, half of the perks are literally trash, so isn’t buffing those useless perks better than just nerfing stuff?

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 372
    Options

Idk where people are getting 3 second DS was meta from I very rarely encountered it.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

I just accepted that playing killers at a high level would never feel fair and fun. There is no reason to balance game for minority, simply because it will hurt those who are in the majority. This is obviously unprofitable and illogical.
    Just enjoy survivors until queues will take 10-15 minutes again and BHVR will have to do something about it. Just dbd life circle.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,169
    Options

Especially keeping in mind that year ago they buffered it from the same value because "it was slightly underperforming", lol

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options
  • Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    Options

Every single tournament, always had someone running DS (usually tournaments restrict perks, so only 1 survivor ran it, but if all 4 could run it, all 4 would run it).

Why would that be the case if the perk is so bad?

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 473
    Options

A perfect example of a community issue: bad understanding of gameplay.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,422
    Options

Seems like some of these people either didn't read or started playing the game after patch 6.1.0. (arguably a very killer sided patch) where the devs also thought that by increasing gen speeds was going to make players run other perks.

At this point they could literally make every gen take 5 mins and these people would STILL run the same loadouts, guaranteed.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 454
    Options

It’s a pretty easy solution

just make jean grey dark Phoenix and she can be the next dbd killer. She can wipe out every survivor with her power…

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,422
    Options

She would be too OP xD she would destroy the entity and take over. 😂

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 454
    Options

I don’t see that as a bad thing lol I would main her for sure

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 2,011
    edited May 10
    Options

It's getting tiring, despite being so used to it.

Literally the same types of comments under the same post on Facebook today:

"The devs don't even care about Killers anymore, what even is this update"

"Survivors can't have anything anymore can they"

I mean, bruh, it's never ending and it will never end. Both sides got nerfs this update, chill out.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

Every single change they have done to Mac and Autohaven have been for the worse in the past 3 years besides the edge map filler tiles on auto and I guess the car wall split. Coldwind was too strong with those S tier fillers but I think they went too far.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,176
    Options

Got to disagree here. The new Macmillan variants are all good in my opinion, and the autoheaven maps are generally some of the most balanced, don't know about any changes that made those maps worse.

When it comes to farm maps, I arguably agree regarding Torment Creek and Rancid Abbatoir, which just don't spawn enough pallets, leading to massive deadzones in the former map. But the other 3 Coldwin maps are generally balanced in my experience.

The Red Forest maps are also very well balanced now in my eyes. The one newer map rework that wasn't that good is the Haddonfield map.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,408
    Options

I can see the future, I called posts like these.

• MoNosEmpire
    MoNosEmpire Member Posts: 649
    Options

I think the issue is that when survivors get nerfed it heavily disrupts the gameplay because when survivor protection perks are gutted (DH for example) it heavily changes the game because of how limited the options are despite the vast amount of perks available.

For killers, they can just change their tactics and still do well.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,218
    edited May 10
    Options

It's weird to me because the arguments are 'Killers need more skill'

Okay, but what of killers that have no real mindgame potential and have no anti-loop or built in slowdown/gen defense? My Sadako games have become even worse with her 3.0 update since TVs are kinda too easy to deal with (Not to mention she's apparently bugged with her post-manifest intermittency), so her slowdown is dictated on whether or not you bring other slowdowns or if survivors neglect their condemned. On the other end of the Spectrum, killers like Freddy or Trapper suffer unless survivors make extremely bad decisions or misplays since Freddy is mostly just an M1 with a mediocre power and Trapper requires some setups that may not even pay off.

Every killer has a skill ceiling and a lot of the low tiers can only be so good. It's why you see players run more Blight, Billy, Wesker and Nurse because they can catch up quickly if they're skilled on those characters and can outpace gen repair speeds to a degree without slowdowns, with slowdowns they become extremely tough.

Really BHVR needs to address how fast gens can be optimized before nuking gen regression, or as I hope, while nuking gen regression. I'm hoping that the update will feature some kind of gen defense mechanic or progression limits that help low tier killers but aren't too oppressive against the high tiers, but that may not happen or even CAN happen.

• rkindrix1
    rkindrix1 Member Posts: 2
    Options

They're always going to nerf and buff perks, that's just how it is. For an example I used to like using the spine chill perk, but they nerfed that so bad i dont even use it anymore. So now i use empathy , so when some gets hit I know where the killers at. So, bottom line its always going to be balancing issues , you just have to learn to adapt and adjust.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,011
    edited May 12
    Options

The reason is most killers arent good as they think and those carried them into high MMR.

You can give a stick to a 12yo kid to fight against a high schooler, but eventually, they still have no chance against 20yo adult.

4 slowdowns is strong, but never enough to players who arent skilled, same to survivors with multiple 2nd chances. Other perks arent that bad, its only require alot of effort to learn a specific playstyle to make the build work, Hysteria seems really weak but after 20 matches, I could make use of it effectively and it become one of my favorite perk.