Turning off Crossplay is no longer a thing?!?

Options
alaenyia
alaenyia Member Posts: 646

When other platforms came out PC had the option to turn off crossplay. Recently I tried to turn off crossplay and could not get a lobby, like ever. I left on looking for lobby and did other stuff on my other screen. Over 3 hours went by, with no lobby. I have revisited this experiment a few times with the same results with varying amounts of time spent. I believe Bhvr has quietly defunct this action so we have to play with console. Anyone else tried to turn it off recently and been met with the same result?

Comments

• Princesse_nico
    Princesse_nico Member Posts: 107
    edited May 14
    Options

I turned it off one time and never got a match on PC.

I waited more than 30 mins. I was some weeks ago.

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 323
    Options

Nobody bothers turning it off since there's zero benefit to doing so. Especially for a PC player, who can't escape hackers even with cross-play off.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,481
    Options

I believe Bhvr has quietly defunct this action so we have to play with console.

.. I hope you are already wearing your aluminium hat?

if they wanted to, they would just take the option out.. it’s more likely that it’s either buggy (so, not working but that isn’t intentionally designed as such) or there is no one else queuing up without crossplay in your region

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,503
    Options

The last time I disabled Crossplay was at least 3 years ago. And back then I got matched with the same few people over and over again. This showed me that not many people have Crossplay disabled, I think I only saw 7 different people over the course of 5 or so games.

Given that this was a long time ago and nowadays people will just not disable it because it is enabled by default and there is 0 reason to disable it, I guess nobody plays with it disabled, which leads to those long queue times.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,853
    Options

Yes, this is the problem. Instead of implementing it like "with crossplay off you get matched with players from your platform" they did this "you get only matched with other people with crossplay off", which just makes no sense. It seems they did so deliberately, so that people are forced to play with crossplay on. Now if you want to play with only people from your platform, you will be better off just dodging lobbies until you get what you need, it works much better than that "crossplay off" option.

• Mooks
    Options

yeah.. it would be so much nicer if they forced people that have crossplay turned on into lobbies without crossplay!!!111

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
    edited May 14
    Options

How dare you turn off crossplay and not use your PC god given mouse powers to beat us filthy console scrubs over the head repeatedly to prove your platform superiority.

What are we even here for? 😡

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,285
    Options

Crossplay off can only match you with others that also have it off, because otherwise things would get wacky once someone dodges a lobby. What happens if you get in a full PC lobby and another player leaves, and you're the only one there with crossplay off? Does it make the other 3 players wait longer to respect your crossplay preference, or does it do the opposite? Either way someone gets what they didn't sign up for.

Add that on top of long initial queue times (because not a lot of people turn it off) and it's only worth it if you care a lot.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,200
    Options

Btw, turning off crossplay on XSX and PS5 is the same.

It will take ages to find a match as you won't get matched with older plattfom generations for some reason (besides SWFs).

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

Yeah plus matchmaking incentives don't apply when you have crossplay off :P

• alaenyia
    Options

We aren't trying to avoid hackers, we are trying to avoid console players.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,224
    Options
  • drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,188
    edited May 18
    Options

I suspect they did it that way because otherwise it would mean cross-play off players, by their presence, would essentially block a lobby and finding the right "pool" would be more computationally expensive. It would also make cross-play on players essentially hostages waiting for longer for no good reason when they are grouped with a cross-play off player.

So instead there are two queues: off and on.

It's simple, easy, and doesn't "punish" cross-play on players who randomly felt with a cross-play off one.

That's the best solution.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,088
    edited May 18
    Options

You still can opt crossplay off, but unfortunately, the pool of players is so small that queue times are long. To top it all off you still don't get matchmaking incentives.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,402
    Options
  • Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,960
    Options

I used to use it exclusively, but Crossplay Off is pretty much dead now. It was dying for a long time, but it got completely unviable about a year ago, meaning depending on the day, you might never get a full lobby or even ever be put into a lobby after hours of waiting.

• alaenyia
    Options

Short answer: They tend to not play very well.

Long answer: I assume because they do not have nearly the level of communication that PC players have they are much slower to learn the nuances of the game. A PC person makes a bad play they are generally going to hear about it in post-game chat, on their Steam profile, etc. Over the years you get a pretty good understanding of the expectations of the game. I am not talking about SWF comms here, just basic chat.

Console players don't have chat with their team mates before hand, and no post-chat after. I watched an Xbox player play and the chat box did not even appear on the TV screen.

This has manifested in killers with zero personality, no meme games, no snoot boops, no slug races and not even much of a sense of fair game play because they do not ever face the repercussions of their in game play from community members.

Survivors are the least altruistic bunch ever. They sandbag their team mates, they do all the gens on one side of the map and facilitate a 3 gen, they run headlong into the insidious Bubba basement, or trapper basement. They just can't read the room because no one can tell them the plays, even as an after chat.

PC players are by no means perfect or all amazing DbD gods (and some console players are very good) but have formed a basic, although at times toxic, community of people. Console just runs in like little Helen Kellers and when they throw the match for the team no one can even give them feedback. If they are BMing the rest of the group you can't report them.

The percentage of console players, albeit not all) that just tank the day (killer and survivor) just make avoiding all of them the more palatable option.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
    edited May 20
    Options

Are you sure you're not just projecting?

Lots of people assume the MMR system doesn't work, but my experience with the MMR system is the skill of killers changes in difficulty noticeably based on who I queue with.

When I queue with players who are newer than me, I tend to do quite well against the killer, and a lot of the time will waste time into minutes to the point the killer will often drop chase with me. When I queue with players who are better than me, the killer tends to play much better as well and facing them is much harder. In either case the game overall goes easier or harder based on how well my teammates perform relative to the killer.

When I play on my own, most of my killers tend to be playing to a comparable level of skill. Survivors make mistakes sure, but I've seen plenty of players with obvious PC names who play like absolute idiots. In fact the people who tend to not sit on gens and spend 90 seconds following the killer just to miss a flashlight save anyway tend to be PC players.

So if you're so sure that console players are generally worse, and you're much more skilled at the game, wouldn't you expect to see fewer console players as your MMR goes up? If there is such a gulf in your skill relative to the console survivors, you shouldn't be being paired with them correct?

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong that PC players are generally better than console players on average, that statememt is probably true, but it might be worth assessing if your opinions on console players is genuinely founded, or if blaming console survivors is an easy scape goat for you.

Especially notable as when you blame them, there is no conversation to understand their decisions, so you likely retain more examples ehere they "played badly" as they can't answer back to you to explain why you might be wrong.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

wait does that mean i could gather four of my friends and if we all switch of cross play the game should just throw us into a game together since there are nearly no players with crossplay off?

that would mean you could cheese achievments and challanges

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,087
    Options

???

I don't understand your logic here.

You are looking at this from the perspective of a cross play ON person, right?

They wouldn't have any demerit from this because they would still be matched with the other cross play ON people but ALSO with the few cross play off people from their platform?

It would only benefit the cross play off people by giving them a chance to play with people from their own platform.

Of course matchmaking would've to still prioritize filling a lobby however way before trying to force a platform exclusive lobby but those aren't impossible in general.

• burt0r
    Options

Simply make the cross play off people filler for coincidental platform "pure" lobbies.

The cross play off people would still have to wait way longer than with ON but at least have a chance at finding some matches.

Not that I really care about this issue but it's not as impossible as it seems.

Not lucrative and therefore not to be expected? Undoubtedly.

Impossible? No.

• burt0r
    edited May 20
    Options

Only until this method would be posted on social media (which would INEVITABLY happens in today's society) and due to everyone trying it, it would stop working because the OFF option would gain a player base again 😂

• Mooks
    Options

as soon as the cross play ON person is in a lobby with a crossplay OFF person the lobby is strictly crossplay OFF and therefore the ON person now is forced into and OFF lobby and having to wait longer with a smaller playerbase despite their setting

Simply make the cross play off people filler for coincidental platform "pure" lobbies.

What happens when other cross play on people leave this lobby? - the rest is now in a crossplay off lobby having to wait even longer. And throwing in other crossplay on people on the same platform may be possible, but it requires way too complex matchmaking logic which they opted out of.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,402
    Options

With CrossPlay off those players are only matched up with others just on their own platform that also have it off. Doesn't even work between the various Xbox's or PlayStations for instance, just your own platform.

So yeah quite the tiny pool of players to pull from.

• alaenyia
    Options

You seem to be relying on MMR entirely to hard in your argument. I did not even bring up MMR but since you did, there are only 3 levels of MMR and once you reach the 3rd tier (the by far largest group) you pretty much can't backslide to lower MMR's to prevent smurfiing. So while I am certain you are in the highest MMR, so is almost everyone else. The only thing needed to get to the 3rd tier is time. The more you play the more MMR points you earn the faster you get to 3rd tier, that is it.

I have played DbD since January 2018, and currently have 3.5k hours in the game. I have played at nearly all the iterations (except the very beginning), with no console, limited console and all the console. When I speak on the skill level and I mean across the board, it is not necessarily whether the game is won or lost, or whether the console survivors are in a high or low MMR. It is the fact that they do not understand the game, (I assume) because they don't have much communication, and probably because they have not played as long as some PC players.

I also noted you basically said I am right in your retort. "I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong that PC players are generally better than console players on average, that statement is probably true…" were your exact words. My point was that the skill gap was not really console player's fault. Their lack of communication makes learning a slower curve. But also as a PC player I would just rather avoid having to be frustrated by this deficit in my personal matches.

I will give you credit. Without comms, it is a 2 way street. They also can not explain their actions, or address the other team mates to rationalize game play decisions. So you are right that they may get a more negative and mildly undeserved reputation as a result.