Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

'DBD isn't a horror game'

13»

Comments

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 1

Ofc you can, but not when you use normal cooking stuff… When you make some weird cannibal cooking thing it can be. But not when you take some ordinary ingredients, despite some people having a phobia for ordinary cooking ingredients…

That would still be considered horror for those people.

The issue is that in both cases the word is meaningless… Because if basically everything is or can be horror then it is not descriptive anymore, the same goes for when you base it only on subjective thoughts about the topic the words loses its meaning.

As if your definition on horror aren't already completely based on your own subjective thoughts and idea of what horror is.

Thematically it is horrifying, but it does not get projected onto the gameplay, which is what I was saying the entire time, the gameplay does not provide the theme that the lore and the visuals have … It does not feel like doom closing in on you because of the restrictions the gameplay provides.

Which i am going to disagree with every single time because i think that's completely wrong in what you're saying and that it does project and provide it's themes onto it's gameplay more than enough.

You're not running for your life, because A. thematically you will just get into the next trial even if you do in fact die or get sacrificed to the entity, so you're not running for your life in that sense. You could argue you run to avoid pain I guess..

Running to avoid excruciating pain is still enough of a reason for anyone to want to keep themselves safe from harm and temporary death.

B. The game just is not able to give that feeling during the chase, while all this might be thematically true it is not really conveyed through the gameplay… Because the chase just does not feel like I am getting hunted down by a powerfull monster, because most of the killers are severely restricted by the map which is why it feels like a goofy match of catch… The theme does not get translated in the gameplay.

Which i am going to (again) disagree with every single time because i think otherwise.

I don't really think it would, but whatever ^^

The themes alone don't make the game a horror game, as stated before, its gameplay is what defines it.

Which the gameplay does.

We're talking in circles at this point and none of us are going to change our minds on the matter, so i'm ending the conversation here since we're basically getting nowhere and i don't feel like dragging it out any further than it already is.

• Jim_Tonic
    Jim_Tonic Member Posts: 555

Would have perferred ghost rider as a killer at this point. but thats just my personal opinion.

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 110

dnd may not be entirely horror. But ravenloft is horror based. But it doesn’t seem like it if you only hear of the horny bard jokes. I will say having acerak would’ve been cooler (having traps like his dungeon and having a deactivated tomb of horror as a map, but that would just be a better trapper.) but they chose him due to

1. The undead lich is an amazing horror concept.
    2. They wanted strahd con zorovitch but castlevania is coming eventually.
    3. vecnas book came out on roughly the same release date.

Just because it isn’t traditional slasher doesn’t mean it isn’t horror.

and btw Vecna is just cool

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 110

people don’t

Vecna is a genocidal wizard who had cults following him who knows secrets about the universe and has spells to change reality and kill people in an instant.Skull merchant is just Boeing and Jeff bezos if we want to use your logic of ignoring major parts

• Mirth
    Mirth Member Posts: 7

jfc this thread got pedantic. OP did a little trolling and then sat back to watch it burn. Masterful. I mean the original statement was blatantly false, the game is horror and Vecna is horror, but this low effort dumpster fire and how long it kept people riled up at each other? That's kind of impressive.