Freddy didn't need the rework

Brutha
Brutha Member Posts: 178

Hear me out on this but I personally think Freddy didn't need a whole rework. All he needed was some good QoL changes or a small rework to the dream world and he could've been fine but instead he was hit with a nerf truck due to some people not knowing how easy it was to wake up before he was reworked. Now Freddy is a mediocre killer at best but so boringgg, not to mention forever Freddy which just made you fall asleep irl. Bhvr somehow made one of the most unique killers into such a bore and I hope whatever they change about him comes soon and makes him fun again for both sides.

What do you think?

Comments

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

A killer I want to like but can't bring myself to - he needs a complete revamp.

Starting with Robert Englund version of Freddy.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 236

I know it isn't the point of the thread, but I don't know why everyone says we need to turn Freddy in DbD into the Robert Englund version. Not that I don't appreciate Robert Englund, of course, and if I'm misunderstanding the statement and it's meant to say he needs a skin to be Englund's Freddy I do apologize—I very much agree with that. But Jackie Earle Haley's performance was good, and really more tonally consistent with DbD. I dunno, I quite like the character we have—the mechanics are the issue.
    Weird tangent aside, yeah, Freddy's original kit was way better than his bland current one. Maybe now we could revert to the original version, but have him unlock new dream abilities after putting survivors to sleep enough, like how in FvJ he needs to be feared to have power.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

It's a personal preference.

I grew up liking the Robert Englund version of Freddy, am attached to it and, when I think about Freddy as a character, my mind wanders to that iteration of Freddy. Meanwhile Jackie's version of Freddy I have no association with and therefore feel a disconnect with it.

So when I load up DBD, think about playing Freddy, my mind goes "Oh, Freddy - he sounds fun! Maybe I'll play a round of- oh, right, it's not the Freddy I'm thinking of." Basically, I'm subconsciously expecting Freddy to be what we got for Chucky, and continuously disappointed. Hence why I have a desire for Robert Englund's version to come to DBD.

You can probably tell by now, but there's no logical argument as to why I feel Robert Englund's version should be the Freddy we have. It is just a biased desired by someone with an attachment to a nostalgic character of their past. It does not help that I never brought myself to watch Jackie's portrayal of Freddy, so I cannot comment on his performance or his character and I could easily be convinced I'm treating it unfairly as a result.

Nontheless, he's still not the Freddy I want, and I have fun jumping on the "Robert Englund Freddy!" bandwagon since it aligns with my own desires as well.

I will also mention that it does not help that my only association and connection with Jackie's Freddy is what we have in DBD, which is a pretty bland, boring, and relatively weak killer. That also likely taints my perspective on Jackie's Freddy and helps in my likely unfair disdain of the character.

It also makes it easier for me to just blatantly call for a total revamp of the character since there's just no aspect of him, either aesthetically or mechanically, that I enjoy right now.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

BeBecause the new Freddy was a mess.

I dont want to shame the actor he did a great job in portraying what they wanted him to but that was just not good.

Freddy became the Pop culture horror icon he is because of the first couple of movies. The later ones are a bit strangebut in the first movies he was scary AND kinda goofy with what he did, how he showded up and killed and his one liners it was so good. The new Freddy lost himself they wanted him to be HORROR and did not understand what made Freddy so great.

Vut now thinking about it its funny cause that same thing happened to chucky.

All that is ofcourse only my opinion on that matter

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,953

@GeneralV this is one for you.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

btw am i the only one being a bit concerned that i dont see the general around here in the last two or three weeks

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

Maybe I'm just biased but I think Freddy isn't as bad as some try to make him out to be

• toxik_survivor
    toxik_survivor Member Posts: 1,184

Hes not bad, he was much worse pre-rework, he's just extremely boring which makes it seem like he's bad cause no one can lock in with him, but he is a good killer you just have to try a little harder with him than other killers.

• WittyDreamer
    WittyDreamer Member Posts: 22

Older freddy was at least unique in his abilities, now he's just like every other killer who can teleport.