Saying GG first, as the winner, is disrespectful

Options
Mortecaii
Mortecaii Member Posts: 64
edited June 22 in General Discussions

I already know this is wildly unpopular for some reason, and I know some just say it without question, but i just wanted to share my unpopular thoughts.

Saying GG as the winning side first is unsportsmanlike IMO. It should always be the loser saying GG first, every time.

I say this is because was it really a GG when it was a stomp? Or when the whole game X person was being toxic, tbagging, clicking flashlights, etc.. then says "GG" at the end, as if they're a good sport smh. Also, most people only say it when they win, almost never when It's a loss. I can somewhat prove this, by looking at some people's streams. I just skip to the endgame chat, and notice most TTV's only say GG when It's a win, and when they lose, they just go next immediately or be toxic asf. Like why bother saying GG if you're not gonna say it every single game? It's pretty annoying and douchey, at least IMO. Like how is it sportsmanlike if you only say it when the game went your way?

Me personally, I haven't said GG in like the past 7 years, because I view it as rubbing salt in the wound, unless of course the loser said it first, then whatever I guess. I'll say literally anything else besides that. It's just a douchey thing most people do without realizing it, again IMO at least.

If you're gonna be sportsmanlike, at least wait for the loser to say it first, otherwise, say nothing or leave some encouragement.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• GhostsCore
    GhostsCore Member Posts: 9
    Options

I'd say that mostly applies to console. As at that point you're going out of your way to message them. But it also depends on the context of the game.

A gg from a close match is goodsportsmanship. But saying gg after you get a 4 man out after bullying the killer or slugging everyone to death at 5 gens is not.

Essentially the act itself isn't toxic. But how you go about it.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 938
    Options

I actually agree with this.

I do say gg, but only when I lose and don't feel there was unsportsmanlike conduct on the opponent's side; otherwise, I feel too guilty saying it. It's just too difficult to know how the opponent feels about a match and what their emotional state is, that I don't want to risk aggravating a potentially upsetting situation for them.

With special exception, of course, when the opposing side loses and they say gg or everyone was messing around and having fun (friendly killer). Otherwise I just wait a few seconds, then leave.

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 223
    Options

gg used to be an acknowledgement of defeat and a sign of respect. It didn't literally mean good game. Only sore losers took it that way and would type bg instead or not type at all. Losers would naturally type it first because the game was still running. Two things were considered bad mannered in that regard: not typing it when you lost and typing it when you had a clear advantage.

In a game with only post-game chat that is not as clear-cut anymore. Still I don't gg first when I win because it feels like gloating which I see quite a few people doing. It is easy to show good sportsmanship if you win.

• Mortecaii
    Mortecaii Member Posts: 64
    Options

This is exactly how I feel. It's basically just gloating unless the loser says it first, then It's fine.

Like I'm not trying to sound like a "sore loser" but when you only see it from the winner's side, it get's pretty annoying. Just look at a live TTV player as proof.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,250
    Options

It's a sign of respect for your opponent the vast majority of times regardless of who initiated it.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,279
    Options

Pretty much. People have used GG that way for years in every game, so I don't treat it as a genuine gesture of sportsmanship.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,101
    edited June 17
    Options

Sadly this opinion is generally frowned upon on this forum. I 100% agree with you and have made this argument multiple times in the past.

At least until this point I see a majority of agreement in the comments. Let's see how this develops once EU gets out of bed.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,677
    Options

I kind of get where the OP is coming from. I personally only take offense to my opponent saying GG at the end of a match first if I played really horribly or if the opponent showed poor sportsmanship during the match. I think that is like rubbing salt into the wound. But if I felt the match was competitive and both players were feeling it then I don't think it matters who says it first.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,970
    Options

If even a simple gg bothers you that much, then you might as well turn off chat since clearly nothing the other side can say won't trigger you. And if not, then you're just looking for any excuse to pop off yourself, in which case, you really don't need to justify yourself to us.

• burt0r
    Options

Id it truly was a close match, then sure it's fine.

But when it's akin to a 50 to 10 kill endgame score in for example league of legends, then hard no if it comes from the 50 side.

• TheSubstitute
    edited June 17
    Options

If I remember correctly some of the people saying that gg is toxic have defended teabagging as no big deal. So simulating an act that refers to sticking one's genitals in an unwilling person's mouth as an act of sexual dominance is just 'crouching' and 'pixels'? But saying 'gg' when the standard in sportsmanship for literally millenia has been telling your opponents 'good match', etc in competitive activities throughout the entire world is toxic?

Do you not see the logical inconsistencies with that?

• burt0r
    Options

Why ask the op when they haven't said any of that?

Do they agree with that?

I can say for me I hate teabagging more than anything and think GG's from the winning side aren't respectful or sportsmanlike depending on how the match went.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,232
    Options

I'll take a gg after bad match over no one typing anything. The game feels like you're playing vs ai most of the time with how little people interact and when they do it's rarely positive.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    edited June 17
    Options

Say it when you really feel/mean it, don't force it. No need to wait or to make it super complicated.

Let's just face it, most ppl don't like losing, no matter if it was a GG earlier or not and DBD isn't different here.

Just be aware that both sides play their objective (even harder since MMR) and both sides don't really care for the other side, esp. in DBD. That's why i almost never say GG anymore, at most GF as in "Good Fight". But that's also really rare for me. Most of the time no EGC is better because most toxicity actually only happens AFTER the game. That's the only good thing about playing on console, we don't even have the tempation to read endgame chat.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,451
    Options

is saying gg as the winner wrong? no. but i don't say gg after a stomp, whoever won that match cuz it was not a good game.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,128
    Options

I'm all for writing gg if the game was actually a normal one. - And that's already a rare case. If the tunneling, hook-slapping, humping killer or the tbagging, taunt-emoting, at the exit gate waiting surv decides to go "gg" then I'm like "like hell, friend. If this game had a referee you would've gotten disqualified ten times over."

And given that's the kind of "gg" I nearly exclusively see, I have no issue stating that that's the rule. Though, there are exceptions to every rule.

Personally, if I ended up stomping but also didn't think there was any point in slowing down for no particullar reason other than to not stomp within a few minutes I usually write something along the lines of "that must've been a rough one. - anyways, gl and hf next" and usually that's received rather well.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,353
    Options

Is it the same if your sports team shakes hands with someone they stomped in a match?

It''s harder to tell with text having no inflection, but you can stomp someone and be a good sportsman about it.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,128
    Options

The thing is, in actual sports you have verbal interactions during the match. In actual sports you're face to face and have a tone of voice that can convey your attitude/intention. In actual sports you also have a referee that reprimands people who, in the middle of the match, decide to ridicule the opponent or shows them the finger or whatnot. You and your opponent usually also speak before and after the match, either directly or via teammates/trainers/whatever.

The cloest to that kind of sportsmanship is actually the dbd comp scene; they usually know each other, they scrim, they have rematches, they sometimes are or were in the same team depending on the tourney and they hang out in the same discord servers. Not all of them like each other and they too get tilted but at the end of the day they know the people on the other side and know their own and their track record.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,353
    Options

But the only interaction the "sides" can have is after the match.

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 493
    Options

At this point I'm waiting for the post of "trying to beat somebody else in a pvp game is toxic".

No saying gg is not disrespectful and people's skin needs to stop being paper. You'd think if they were actually trying to be a sore winner they'd be less subtle about it as in my experience most people don't have much problem writing things like "ggez" or "gg bb survivor/killer".

If someone says GG just say GG back win or lose and stop being so sensitive or better yet be the first one to say it win or lose and maybe we'd have a better community instead of this silly grievance culture we have now.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 261
    Options

How do you know the intent of someone typing something on a keyboard?

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

I get what you mean, but personally I quite simply won't ever be able to actually see myself think the same way. Guess many years of multiplayer gaming including in games where not saying gg was almost "culturally" viewed as being a sore winner/loser molded me to be this way, I dunno.

The way I see it, they chose to say gg instead of anything more obnoxious. I don't really see why anyone would say gg "ironically" or "it actually means git gud!" when this is a game where they could spam "ggez uninstall trashcan!!" at 10 lines per second in endgame chat for their next 10000 games without a single consequence coming their way for it. If someone decides to say gg, I'll just say gg back and move on no matter what I feel about the match that just happened.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,197
    Options

fact GG didn't always mean good game also means get good or the other dumb way of spelling it what is it git gud which is the dumbest thing.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 610
    Options

I’m going to play devils advocate here, and mention this is usually not the case for me because I do often get it whether I win or lose on both sides, usually it’s just silence, but as a survivor unless I’m in a swf I’m not sticking around to see the rest of the game, ie if I get killed first, second or third unless I really want to see your build, so if I am not in the lobby, I can’t say ggs. If messages could persist during the match to after so killers could see them I’d probably say ggs.

I do agree with this, I usually don’t type anything if it’s a stomp unless the other side says it. Like, the other day I had a lobby full of literally new players, dude said he had 8 hours total in the game, and I felt so bad during the match and I let one of them have the hatch, I kept apologizing and they said ggs still and it still felt bad.

QFT

• burt0r
    Options

When 90% of the time it's silence and the majority of those 10% comes only after a hard loss it indicates a definite trend.

• TheSubstitute
    Options

The OP has 14 posts and I already know you hate teabagging. The chances I was referring to either of you is infinitesimal but I'm not going to call out people specifically.

I disagree with your stance as, in every competitive activity for millennium, the standard for sportsmanship has been to tell your opponents it was a good match win or lose. You can feel differently and obviously nobody can tell you how you feel about something but if as an entrenched custom in any competitive activity for millennium people have been saying 'good match' or something similar to their opponents as a sign of respect the odds are the person saying 'gg' to you has no ulterior motive and is just showing sportsmanship.

This is especially true in a game where your opponent could, if they wanted to insult you, call you trash or pathetic, say you should uninstall, say the game was easy, etc and unlike any in person competitive activity receive no consequences for it whatsoever.

So, if the standard for sportsmanship for millennium has been to say the equivalent of gg and anybody in DbD who wanted to make fun of you could say hateful and vile insults with no repercussions whatsoever what are the chances the person saying 'gg' is actually trying to mock you? I'd say it's pretty low.

• burt0r
    Options

Well, I played friendly killer for 2 years and let most of survivors escape after getting 8 hooks. Most of them knew I could've killed them if I wanted.

But still it was silence the vast majority of time, from survivor that just had exited the match by exit gate and the rest was mostly GG exclusively after getting matched with survivor that I couldn't beat even if. I wanted to as a casual player.

It forms a different meaning after a long time.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,618
    Options

I think you need to differentiate between "winning" and "stomping". Saying "gg" first when winning a game is not really bad. But if you are stomping the other side and it is clear that they did not have a good game, I see "gg" as more of an issue, basically being a bad winner.

• burt0r
    edited June 17
    Options

Well, if you don't want to address anyone bette use the indirect "one/someone" instead of the easily misunderstood "you". (Something I am also guilty of.)

Also please talk don't about millennium as if we would know what the custom standard was beyond the last 100 years in general and 30-50 years for gaming. It comes across as strange.

Also, also from my pov it comes across as unempathetic to not take into consideration the feeling of your opponent. I would bet you money that for example the Brazilian soccer players that lost 7:1 a few years ago didn't want to hear ANYTHING from the Germans that stomped them.

Getting beaten hard is frustrating and nothing ones opponent says will help with that, except if that opponent is a close friend or something. Especially int he moment immediately after the defeat.

So taking your opponents feeling into account is more important to me than to give the image of sportsmanship and "force" it on others.

And lastly this whole thread is about one-sided stomps and toxic matches which op specified in their third paragraph.

Not close matches that could go either way. Those are fun and GG's from either side are valid.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,560
    Options

Personally, I dislike tbagging and the notorious "humping" a lot more than someone saying "gg".

• SleepyLunatic
    SleepyLunatic Member Posts: 393
    Options

Not my fault if you are a bad loser.
    If you cant handle a loss, dont play and close chat.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,590
    Options

Valid is completely subjective here. Some may not like it, but many use "gg" as a "valid" form to show sportsmanship. Beginning to feel old here as when I played games with others gg was used to be respectful, now everyone sees it as an insult.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

to me gg is like a hand shake or "touch gloves" at the end of a sport. It just shows good sportsmanship.

I also dont expect all Survivors to do it since I dont expect them to stick around since why would they?

This discussion has been closed.