Does Lara fit in dbd?

Options

Ive seen a lot of discourse on if Lara fits in dbd or not. I think she does. Some elements of the Tomb Raider 2013 game are definitely horror related.

Comments

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 653
    Options

Well, Yes, she's a survivor... and in dbd we have... survivors!

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,961
    Options

No less than Stranger Things did, and certainly more than Nicolas Cage.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005
    Options

Still waiting for SpongeBob and Shrek chapters.

• MalekithHatesSnow
    MalekithHatesSnow Member Posts: 253
    Options

Lara fitting in or not is not the issue in my opinion the issue is that survivor only chapters are really REALLY boring unless the perks bring something game changing like CoH and Mettle of Man was OP and annoying but it changed the game it did something I doubt any of Lara's perks will do that

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,013
    Options

She’s a survivor in her games from my knowledge, therefore she fits as a survivor in dbd, as long as you fit the theme of “Survival” or “Horror” it’ll most likely fit completely fine in a survival horror game, + horror to me is an umbrella term, and some of Lara’s situations in would fall under this umbrella

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,680
    Options

I mean, she is by definition a Survivor.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,396
    Options

Yes, in my opinion Lara fits.

To me, DBD chapters are adaptations, and as adaptations they're able to get a little transformative. While I do think the game they're pulling from has enough to justify her inclusion anyway, I think a more constructive question would be: Would Lara Croft seem out of place in a more traditional survival horror game? Is it possible, through clever adaptation, to make Tomb Raider into horror?

I would argue that the answer is yes. There's a lot to work with, and all you really need to do is take away Lara's arsenal of weapons to force her into more defensive, skulking, survivor-like behaviour- something DBD does by default.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,162
    Options

Fits more than certain characters who are in the Killer category so, yeah

• GRIG0
    GRIG0 Member Posts: 288
    edited June 26
    Options

Yes, Tomb Raider is not horror 100% yet is not a stranger to this genre either. There's plenty of horror elements in the franchise. The original ones specially are well known for enemies that jump out of nowhere and lots of unsetting places (the end of Tomb Raider 1, the antarctic in 3 is 100% horror or the swamp in Chronicles).

Treasure hunter stories go well with horror even if they are not focused on it. (I'd love "The Mummy")

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,524
    Options

no. not really. her perks make more sense on different survivor. Like meg having fitness, Haddie having that weird aura perk instead of that irrelevant inner focus perk or whatever it is called.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,486
    Options

Some of the Tomb Raider games are scarier than most of Resident Evil, tbh.

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 897
    Options

nah, i been waiting on Papa Smurf as Killer, and Smurfette as Survivor. The way things have been going. 🤪

Or better yet, choose between Smarty Smurf, Jokey Smurf, Smurfette, or Chef Smurf as Survivor and Bring back the tiny small Survivor mod, and have Gargamel as Killer 🥴

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 897
    edited June 26
    Options

To be real honest. Her characterization into dead by daylight, just makes her look like a generic survivor. They (bhvr) could easily just given Meg her as a skin alternative.

Maybe if she debuts live dbd with her OG Polygonal Square Chested look from back in the day, as a legendary skin. But til then she don't look worth it. Just generic.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,541
    Options

Yeah. Some of the clips i saw of the game people were demonstrating seemed pretty horror.

I don't think it really matters when it comes to survivors anyway. What makes a survivor "horror"? You can't tell by their appearance and that's all that you'll see anyway.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,171
    Options

I haven't played it but good to know! I might check it out now

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,687
    Options

Now would be a good time, too, at least if you're on Steam. The Definitive Survivor Triology, including the 2013 reboot and also Rise, Shadow, and all DLC is currently on sale for £10.91, down from £170.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,171
    Options

I'm on PS5 but looks like the reboot is included with Playstation Plus so I know what I'm playing this weekend 😊

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

As a character: Yes. Lara is a textbook Survivor, especially the 2013 version that we got.

As an IP: No. Just because the Survivor Timeline has a few scary scenes and is inspired by a horror movie does not suddenly mean Tomb Raider is a horror IP. That's just not how it works.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659
    Options

She fits in way more than Nicolas Cage does… -_-.. Are people really that concerned about this?

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,047
    Options

I still have read way more positive than the literal drips of negative comments about her being in, and I dunno of the negatives are just doing it for trolling purposes.

She clearly fits. In fact, many who are not from direct horror could fit in. John Wicks? Yes. Indiana Jones? Yes. Finn Kelly? Yes. Fitzwilliam Darcy? Yes. Villanelle? Yes. Basically, short of The Teletubbies many could be (and even they had a horror game!!)

It's just strange to be thinking x doesn't fit because of it not being true horror. Gatekeeping at its dumbest.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 604
    Options

This is the same Lara who had to wade through a river of blood, watch basically all her friends die, and cauterize her own puncture wound with an arrow head she kept under a makeshift fire. She fits just fine imo

• SkeletonDance
    SkeletonDance Member Posts: 210
    Options

This survivor version fits her very well in the game. Can't say the same about classic Lara

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 265
    Options

I'd say "yes," especially since this is the one from the Survivor Trilogy. The trilogy's first game leaned very hard into horror, and the subsequent two featured very horror-centric segments, with both the Deathless Ones areas in Rise of the Tomb Raider and the Yaaxil area in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Also, as said above, the treasure hunter genre in general often experiments with horror.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 955
    Options

I wish we stopped bringing this up. DBD departed from being a horror game when they brought in those Halloween costume and pajama cosmetics. I don’t mind them making light hearted cosmetics but it’s very clear the game would never be able to hold a dark tone seriously after that.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 809
    Options

I'm not entirely convinced. But then again, it's the cartoony 90's action hero persona of Lara that comes to mind when I think of her, and not the Lara from the more recent reboots.

Her addition does make me worry a bit that BHVR are struggling to secure good licenses to be honest.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,403
    Options

I don't think she does, but she fits better than that dumb elf, I'll give her that much.

• GreyBigfoot
    GreyBigfoot Member Posts: 954
    Options

She's a tenacious character, I think she fits well as a survivor. It was a smart move to not include a killer with her, because that might be pushing the boundaries.

But when they do paragraphs because they know only one role from an IP really fits, I'm all for it.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,238
    Options

Does she fit in DBD? No but alot of other characters don't either so at this point anything they want can fit in the game, if they want to put barney the dinosaur as a killer in the game people would complain and then accept it just like they already do now.

• Oh_deer
    Oh_deer Member Posts: 28
    Options

i think she clearly fits into dbd

she is the ultimate survivor

it's just that as a character she's too strong and the franchise is too well established.

so she feels out of place.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,922
    edited June 30
    Options

I think so. The Tomb Raider Reboot definitely has horror related stuff in it. We are talking about a survivor and Lara is absolutely perfect for this role. Can’t wait until the release because I had a lot of fun playing on the PTB. Will prob buy every cosmetic in the store for her!

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,797
    Options

I wouldn't call Tomb Raider a horror series or Lara a horror character but despite that I do think she fits the game perfectly fine.

I don't think something needs to be straight horror to be suited for DbD. I think that all they really need is to be able to suit a dark/horror/survival setting without it seeming weird. For example Doctor Who isn't horror but I don't think anyone would find a Weeping Angel unfitting for the game. Or Scarecrow from Batman - not a horror character but fits a horror setting perfectly fine. Same with Vecna.

I also think Nic Cage fits the game because he deals with the greatest horror of all time - real life.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Goku is the ultimate fighter but he doesn't belong in Mortal Kombat. Lara Croft basically opened the door for pretty much anyone coming to DBD. I still hope they try to get more horror icons into the game over things like Tomb Raider.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 937
    Options

I can’t really take the people saying she’s not a good fit seriously. TR has always had horror elements too it and that was ramped up in 2013 which is the game her appearance is based on.

She’s also been toted as ‘survivor Lara’ through that trilogy. So yeah to me she fits a lot better than the likes of Nicholas Cage, Singularity , skill merchant, Jonah, Renato etc.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

I think the reason why people are criticizing the choice is because they wanted other franchises to make it into DBD way more than something like TR. You can make a stretch for TR being in DBD, but something like Friday the 13th or FNAF just makes way more sense. People will still buy and play Lara Croft because of how popular the character is, but the vibe and hype difference compared to an iconic horror franchise is very different.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,115
    Options

Is she iconic horror? No. But, if you google "Tomb Raider horror/scary" there's alot of discussions from a decade ago where people think the earlier games border horror. There was plans for a Tomb Raider survival horror game but it got scrapped and they instead did the 2013 reboot. It was called Tomb Raider: Ascension, you can see the early dev footage on YouTube that Square Enix released in 2021. They canceled it because they didn't think a Tomb Raider survival horror game would do well but maybe after Lara Croft joins DBD they'll reconsider that decision.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,697
    Options

people are just weird about it and try to gatekeep.. sadly they will never reveal why they do it, maybe it’s just trolling.. or maybe it’s not even intentional and they just need to complain without understanding why themselves..?

In the end, many people have been asking for Lara Croft to be added, she fits thematically with survival, the overall horror/doom atmosphere in-game, and other horror themes even when her games aren’t strictly in the horror genre.

But guess what? Many people (even those that complain and say she doesn’t fit because she doesn’t come from horror) are perfectly fine with other characters from non-horror media (R6, yes legendary characters are still considered characters), they themselves ask for other characters from non-horror media (eg Joker, Scarecrow from DC; Homelander from The Boys and others) and they are fine with a real life person - not even a character - added. So.. Lara Croft is crossing the line, but your preferred non-horror character doesn’t) Suuure. (Fun fact: one person even said they would be okay with her added but now that she got added finds reasons to complain.. 😐)

I have also read today that Lara is canonically hinted at being lesbian - maaaaybe some of these people know about that and we all know how they avoid saying what they actually have against LGBTQ+ characters and try to grasp for any other excuse out there? 👀 (not saying all or even the majority are like this, but I bet there are some out there that are just xenophobic/misogynistic to some degree)

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 372
    Options

She’s definitely an ultra survivor. Have players seen the other characters we have in this game? lol

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 234
    Options

They've definitely been stretching the definition lately but I guess she's still within the realm of acceptability.