The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How would you rate Rancor?

I bought the spirit perk Rancor from the shrine but am hesitating to use it in a build. The aura reading of 3 seconds is puny (but I guess could be extended with Lethal) but the thing that caught my eye was the ability to kill survivors by your hand without a mori. How would you rate it overall?

Comments

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,043
    edited July 9

It's not exactly good, because it's one of those perks that's worthless unless you're losing and it doesn't extend the game like No Way Out… but it is loads of fun. You can combine it with obsession changing perks to have it proc on multiple survivors - Nemesis is the obvious one, you bait a pallet stun and Oops, All Moris.

One annoying side effect of Rancor is that it tips off the obsession that you have it - very obviously once endgame procs, but during the match they'll see your aura every time a gen is finished. So SWF will call it out and any obsession who isn't completely clueless is going to be ready to hide from you once endgame starts.

• jezebelthenun
    jezebelthenun Member Posts: 195

I never really thought of it as a good perk, but I recently played against a killer who used it to turn a 0k into a 2k after the last gen was popped. The obsession stuck around to try to unhook instead of being on the gate and letting someone else unhook. Like a lot of perks, it requires a very specific set of circumstances to be useful, and there are other perks that do similar things better.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

Not a good perk, but certainly an unhealthy one.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,480

It's pretty bad, but when it works, IT WORKS xD

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,043

Is it? Yeah, you can get moried on first hook, but I think there's two things that keep Rancor from being unhealthy.

One, if you're paying attention, the perk outright tells you that the killer has it, so you can prepare to hide when the last gen's about to pop, and lay low instead of yoloing gates. The killer can only camp one gate at a time.

Two, you have to have made it to the end of the match to be affected by the perk, so the usual no-hook mori problem of 'I didn't even get to play the game' doesn't apply. And while the perk incentivizes the killer to hunt you down at endgame, it also incentivizes them to leave you alone earlier in the match - it's not like OG Dying Light where it encourages a tunnelfest.

And once you start creating builds that allow it to hit multiple survivors and actually surprise people with the perk, you're in endgame build territory where the killer is dedicating most or all of their perk slots to something that won't even do anything unless they reach endgame.

It's a weird perk, but I think it's fine. Survivors aren't guaranteed an escape just because they made it to the end of the match. And it's so rare that it scarcely factors anyway.

• SAWII
    SAWII Member Posts: 92

Just a slight correction, Rancor does not show the killer any auras; it shows them the locations of each survivor. It cannot be countered by perks like Distortion nor can it have its info reading extended by aura perks like Lethal Pursuer. The info it gives is slight, but it can really catch survivors off guard when you know their location after a gen pops. Being able to kill a person (or people with obsession changing perks) is just the cherry on top.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 935

It’s very situational, but if you manage to get value it can be quite nice, but to be fair, it promotes targeting one player for the most of the game, which is unhealthy in my opinion.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

There is a fun inofficial killer challenge of trying to kill all four survivors via Rancor by pairing it with Nemesis or getting a lucky DS. I once got 3 survivors, but never all 4.

Rancor is one of this fun perks that's not very strong, but totally okay, and the instadown and mori can sometimes come in clutch and totally catch a survivor by surprise. But you sometimes also get mutch hate for using it, because "the is no counterplay" to it.

The info after every gen is nice, but a bit power creeped by other newer perks, but just last week I had a game where the obsession finished the last gen right in my face, and while the survivor was standing up, I instadowned and immediately moried them. That was quite funny, as the punishment came so immediately and explosive.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,465

4/10

Its ok info with a bad activation condition and a ok chance you can get an extra kill out of the obsession but the problem is that the obsession knows you have it

any other direct info perk or perk that exposes is probably better since its a bad multitasker, either use noed or use something like no where to hide or bbq instead

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,948

I personally always thought of it as a cheap freebie it shouldn’t have the mori attached to it honestly hell people call Noed a cheap perk?

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,077

Better bittur mumur. power-creep version. it counters distortion and gives free kill in end game.

One of the killer that always trips me out is Ghostface. I always think every Ghostface has rancor when I am the obsession.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,051

A better version of NOED. Completely balanced at high level.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,051

It's unhealthy because it gives the killer a chance to kill someone.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,989
    edited July 11

The perk trash on it own and even with a obsession swamping perk it still below average. I don't like left behind, sole survivor, or rancor for the same exact reason.... why should u randomly get to escape or get a kill because u equip a perk? My aura reveal, 1shot, and mori= u probably die. Just completely invalidate the survivor skill and turn them into a consolation prize at the end.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Basically guarantees one additional kills in any of the matches, statistically strongest perk ever

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182
    edited July 11

A bad perk that warns the opponents it's in play prior to doing anything useful(compared to other info perks) even in its "good" use cases it's for memes and roulette 99% of the time.