Do players actually get interested at checking out the franchises they get the licenses from?

GroßusSchmiedus
GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 517
edited June 27 in General Discussions

Because personally, i feel like i dont get interested in them 90% of the to time and i think its because BHVR does a bad job at integrating them in a way that makes them feel interesting to someone more familiar with DBD than with its license, though its important to know that its most likely not also not BHVRS fault entirely and much of it are ######### ups by the license holders. Take Hellraiser for example, your opinion of Pinhead will likely be very influenced on rather you have seen and what you think about the franchise, where he is not even the main villain in the first two movies but i think many players understandably already think they get a good idea about him actually based on misconceptions and never checking out the source.

I think most players dont even realise how bad he fits into DBD the way BHVR integrated him, to the point where much of the lore about him in DBD seems to have been made up to fill the gaps, why is he there? Why does he even bother to do the entities bidding when he already serves a different god and can apparently come and go whenever he feels like it? Why doesn't the entity do something about that weird BDSM Priest that it can't even control and may decide to ######### with it in the future? Is the entity actually so stupid it can't even see how that can backfire big time? Most answers from these questions seems to have no source other than someone else in the community came up with the idea for it first.

So, what can happen to change that? I think about Integrating them more closely in a way that makes the character feel consistant throughout both franchises while still changing them to allow to fit into DBD more flawlessly.

Otherwise choose characters that naturally would fit into DBD in unique ways and fill some gaps, for example take Fabius Bile if they ever do a Warhammer based chapter.

Comments

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 803

speaking of that I’m planning on getting Alan Wake soon to see these games

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,226

I mean DBD adding Alan Wake got me to buy Alan Wake 2 and Alan Wake Remastered when they were on sale. Great games, would recommend. Second one's way better though.

Although, I think you're the first person I've seen that has an issue with how Pinhead is implemented into DBD. I think he's incredibly faithful in terms of how he plays. Lore wise, I think him and the entity have a mutually beneficial relationship. The entity feeds off of suffering, he likes inflicting suffering.

I don't think he's doing the entity's bidding specifically, it's just they have the same goals intrinsically. They both love hooks too. It's a win-win.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,763

For me it was the opposite. I was already aware of most of the first half of licenced killers, and had already played far too much Silent Hill and the RE's before DBD.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 517
    edited June 27

Dont get me wrong, Pinhead is my second main, i love how he is implemented from a mechanical and style standpoint, i even go so far to say that is he is the most balanced and healthiest Killer for the game despite his underserved reputation as a pub stomper which could be alleviated with a few touches.

I think its the way BHVR integrated him with the lore is kinda bad but i think it wasnt even completely up to them, in the first two movies he is not a Killer that runs around killing people in the same way say many other licensed characters are, he even has some strict rules and ethics he abides by but we never actually see or hear any of it for example.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

DBD got me to buy the REMakes, so there's that. Though I think that's the only time I've followed a license out of DBD.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,613

Yes, I've gone out of my way to check out licenses that I've seen in DBD.

For the most part, BHVR do a really good job integrating their licenses. Some of them, like Myers, are borderline genius. A few flubs like Freddy aside, they do a good job here overall.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970
    edited June 27

I’ve pretty much known every license added to the game except Alan wake games look kinda boring if I’m honest and I’ve never played dnd or castlevania

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 28

Pinhead's lore is someone solved the box inside the realm and Pinhead does his thing of bringing pain and suffering to people in the trials across the realm, there is no specific point in time from if it takes place before or after Hellraiser 1 and it's not like it doesn't fit his character.

We have no proof that Pinhead can come and go as he pleases, even less if Pinhead can actually send Survivors to hell or not with his mori since they always end up back at the campfire. In fact, the only way Pinhead can go back to hell is if the lament configuration is reset, which as seeing as how it doesn't send him back to hell when it is reset in the trials, it would suggest that The Entity has tampered with the box and is forcing him to remain in the realm to participate in the trials without anything he can do to escape.

Pinhead have no reason to go against the Entity as the trials are a Cenobite's paradise pretty much, serving another god is irrelevant, as the only thing that does matter is if he participate in the trials and feeds The Entity, especially since Pinhead is stuck as he can't use the box to return to hell. Same goes for Chucky & serving Damballa, he can't leave either but have no problem indulging himself in the trials to sacrifice Survivors.

Also you don't know if The Entity can or can't control Pinhead. Besides, if he's already below his own god Leviathan and the likes of Vecna & Castlevania Dracula, then he's most certaintly below The Entity as well and won't be able to mess with it due to the nature of what The Entity itself is and how we still don't know the full extend of it's powers, that and Pinhead would need to reach a power level akin to that of Vecna to even be considered a potential problem for it, but even then, the mark of negation exist.

Also The Entity is protected by Ash Williams levels of plot armor, it's gonna find a way to do things and be ontop of the characters it brings into the fog.

As for if people are actually interested at checking franchise the IPs are from? I've checked out every license's source material that made it into the game exactly because they got added, so i would say yes to that.

Post edited by Smoe on
  • UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,970

I did watch the first 3 Hellraiser films and play the REmake thanks to DBD....

I always hated the tank controls in Resident Evil, and just couldn't abide it... the REmake did away with that, and I ended up really enjoying the game... but it was DBD that inspired me to give the REmake a try. Hellraiser was on my radar for ages but I just never got round to it... DBD finally convinced me to buy a boxset.

Pretty much every other franchise otherwise I knew already… so DBD introduced me to 2 more great IPs that I now enjoy 😁🤘

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,573

I got into RE because of the first chapter, so there's that.

Currently playing the first Alan Wake too.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,520

Yes actually. I love all things horror so they’re great signposts.

Btw, all this talk of Pinhead… please.. I don’t want him taking one of us to see “such sights”. Next thing I know one of you will be a Survivor in the game.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,723

Surprised that a lot of people seem to have been motivated by DbD to pick something up.

I thought I'd be unique on that. Playing against an Alien one day reminded me I wanted to give Alien: Dark Descent a go, which I then purchased.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 803

since we’re talking about licensed games

What do people think of Silent hill 2? (The original 2001 game)

• KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 186

The only time I got interested in a franchise from a license chapter is Silent Hill.

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 185

Yes.

This game finally pushed me to play Resident Evil 2 and 3 remakes, the Alan Wake games, as well as the Child's Play franchise. I loved all of them.

I'm planning on playing the Tomb Raider games now as well, even.

To be fair, I was planning on eventually doing all of those things. But they made me more excited to do it.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 844

I still have an Xbox 360, so I bought a copy of Alan Wake around the time he was added to DBD and very much enjoyed my play through. I would play his second game too but my PC just can't handle it.

Out of curiosity, I'll probably do the same for the 2013 Tomb Raider, since that's the version of Lara being added to DBD (I don't expect to enjoy it but it's only £1.50, so no big deal if it's not my cup of tea).

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,013

alan wake the only character added that i didn't know about. Behavior definitely got me to check his game out

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845
    edited June 28

Except when Chucky kills someone, he's also killing for Damballa by default as well. In fact, the entirety of season 3 of the Chucky TV series is about Chucky killing people in the white house to impress Damballa after he was forsaken'd by his god because he cheated on Damballa in season 2 after practising catholic exorcism, Chucky even calls Damballa his one true god when they meet in the spirit realm in season 3, i would say that counts as Chucky serving Damballa.

• jamally093
    jamally093 Member Posts: 1,628

Only time that happened was with Alan Wake played the first game and liked it since most of the other licenses I either played or watched. Tomb Raider just does not my cup of tea. Overall when I heard the survivor was the embodiment of survivor I sorta went to Walking Dead since I knew little more about that then Tomb Raider.

• charmless
    charmless Member Posts: 24
    edited July 17

Can't read this. Series 3 isn't out in my country yet. It'll take a while to be out. I was looking forward to it as well. You've ruined my day, my favourite show and the good Dead By Daylight news. You should feel bad.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,303

I’m interested in playing Resident Evil and Silent Hill because of this game but me being a big chicken holds me back. I don’t know how I was able to start playing this game since it scared the crap out of me in the beginning but gosh was it addicting.

• SPADESinst
    SPADESinst Member Posts: 84
    edited July 20

Personally for me, I been aware of literally every single license chapter and already been a fan of many things. When I saw that DBD added Amanda from Saw, I literally freaked out. Saw was the first horror movie I ever watched as I kid due to my step-mom. My step-mom and I watched lot of horror movies, so every single horror movie license character had me excited.

I quit dbd a year ago, came back because I saw they added Chucky.

I already played RE and Alan Wake before they got added too. Tome Raider too. I was homeschooled for a while so I had alot of time and played alot of games and watched a lot of movies. I don't really have any complaints personally.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,328

Uhm yeah, DBD got me to finally buy and play the RE games, and I've remained playing DBD (through the good and a LOT of SoloQ hell) because of RE.

Same for Saw, was never interested in ANY of those movies (seemed too crazy for me and not really what I consider Horror genre), but I finally gave those a watch after facing so many Pigs etc. And Halloween, so I'd definitely say yes.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,109

I did consume Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, and Alan Wake because they were in this game.

• kosaba11
    kosaba11 Member Posts: 119

Minus the Stranger Things characters, I've been a fan of all the franchises that have collabed with DBD long before I was a DBD fan.